MAYBE THE REALLY DON'T WANT U.S.A. RACERS THERE

Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 6:58am
From the RACERX WEBSITE;

Glen Helen to Run World Championship Rules

By
Adam Wheeler
Apr 29 2010 2:24PM

Comment ShareThis Email Print
The US Grand Prix, the sixth round of the 2010 FIM World Championship, will be held under the technical guidelines of the FIM rulebook after a request from the governing body to the MSMA (Motorcycle Sport Manufacturers Association) was withdrawn this week. The suggestion was made to the collective of the brands within the GP paddock and the deadline for reply by the MSMA was set for last Sunday, race-day at the Grand Prix of Netherlands at Valkenswaard.

The MSMA was unanimous in its decision against the proposal, citing performance differences and the negation of a stern efforts to reduce noise levels in the world championship while striving to maintain power output. The ‘double rule’ scheme would have permitted AMA entrants to abide by the different noise measurement regulations (the FIM use the new 2 meter max rule for 81db at 100m measurement) while also affecting the issue of fuel. Adoption of the dual-rulebook would have made American participation a simpler affair – and is believed to be the main motivation behind the idea’s genesis – but was seen as an undesirable move by much of GP fraternity.

“The FIM MX1/2 Motocross World Championship (as well as the FIM Veteran Motocross World Cup) in Glen Helen on 30 May 2010 will be run exclusively according to the 2010 FIM World Championship Regulations,” confirmed FIM CMS Dr Wolfgang Srb this afternoon. “Therefore only the FIM sound control as well as fuel according to FIM specifications will be accepted - just like in all the other rounds of the 2010 FIM World Championships and Cups.”

“‘Double Regulations’ will not be used for the FIM Motocross Grand Prix of the United States of America, the FIM World Championship Regulations will be fully enforced,” asserted Youthstream President Giuseppe Luongo. “We are hoping that in the future the FIM and National Championships will have the same Technical Regulations so that it’s easier for everyone, especially the manufacturers and teams.”

The entry list for the event at Glen Helen will be formulated fifteen days prior to the meeting with details of the teams abstaining from the travel across the Atlantic and those natives opting to turn out in the first American round of the series since 2000 still to be confirmed and unveiled. With this current issue now decided the Grand Prix can now proceed heartily along the lines of its promotional tag as ‘Race of the Century.’

“We are pleased that the FIM are keeping the rules for this Grand Prix,” commented Honda Motor Europe Off-road Racing Manager Roger Harvey. “We can appreciate the occasion but it is also round six of fifteen in the world championship with a set of regulations we have all worked to respect for 2010. I hope the race will be as good as we are all hoping now.”
|
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
4/29/2010 1:53pm
Probably the right decision, even if not the "politically clever" one.
Alex
4/29/2010 1:54pm
Well it might impact the turnout of Americans but it was the RIGHT decision.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/29/2010 1:57pm
Yeah, right is better than convenient.
DanDunes818
4/29/2010 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 3:45pm
I think they realized there wasn't enough USA rider interest to change the rules (making them look like fools) for the one race. I think if there was allot of USA riders confirmed to race it they would of stuck to the plan of changing the rules for the one race. Just my opinion.

The Shop

Alex
4/29/2010 2:00pm
I guess we'll have to wait and see if your right on that one
4/29/2010 2:00pm
I wonder if the FIM can pressure the AMA to match the fuel and sound regulations to theirs? I agree about not changing their rules but to add a race so late it would be hard for the factories to modify their bikes let alone a true Privateer or a smaller team especially just for 1 race.
pie8man
4/29/2010 2:01pm
Good call, now we just need some US contenders to commit.
RACEGUY
4/29/2010 2:02pm
Only issues are exhaust noise and fuel composition.

I think everything else is kosher.
the_wood109
4/29/2010 2:02pm
I think they realized there wasn't enough USA rider interest to change the rules (making them look like fools) for the one race. I think if...
I think they realized there wasn't enough USA rider interest to change the rules (making them look like fools) for the one race. I think if there was allot of USA riders confirmed to race it they would of stuck to the plan of changing the rules for the one race. Just my opinion.
Agreed.

Either way, seems like the right choice.
Alex
4/29/2010 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 2:04pm
True. theres a big drop in power with the fuel and likewise for the noise reduction. GP teams have invested heavily to get over this. Maybe they can offer a little support (engines/pipes) to those US riders that need it, particularly when its the US teams that will be housing the GP guys in their rigs anyway.
pie8man
4/29/2010 2:08pm
I think they realized there wasn't enough USA rider interest to change the rules (making them look like fools) for the one race. I think if...
I see your point but you have to imagine that the USGP is a worldwide organization, their competitors are competing for a championship following a strict rules package all over the globe and to change that would not be the right thing to do for their competitors. I think the AMA has waited too long already to adopt an equal or more restrictive sound requirement then the FIM already has. Maybe this will help open their eyes.
mccread
4/29/2010 2:12pm
you would think it would be a good chance fir the possible MXDN riders and teams to test themselves against the GP riders and get their bikes ready for colorado...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/29/2010 2:17pm
Alex wrote:
Well it might impact the turnout of Americans but it was the RIGHT decision.
X2
Mxxer
4/29/2010 2:22pm
The most important 'between the lines' factor here is that the teams GP stuck together to overturn a decision implemented by Luongo and Srb. That's great news.
jaeckle
4/29/2010 2:38pm
You have to admit allowing unlimited development of the bike while limiting sound and fuel is exactly what needs to happen to the US Nats and SX. The GP at Glen Helen is the highlight of the year.
flarider
4/29/2010 2:51pm
GuyB wrote:
Yeah, right is better than convenient.
Agreed
500guy
4/29/2010 8:45pm
Sounds like a good choice to maintain the integrity of the Series.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
4/29/2010 9:04pm
mccread wrote:
you would think it would be a good chance fir the possible MXDN riders and teams to test themselves against the GP riders and get their...
you would think it would be a good chance fir the possible MXDN riders and teams to test themselves against the GP riders and get their bikes ready for colorado...
Once the riders are chosen and the series is over, they can go to Honey Lake or some other elevation track and do that without disrupting their program.
Team Euro
4/29/2010 9:38pm
It`s a GP! A world GP!, America should feel honored that the FIM has granted them the right to host the "Circus" here. They bypassed holding it on British soil to bring it to the USA. We don`t change the rules for any other countries teams when it travels to thier country. If I was a team manager for the US teams I wouldn`t push too hard to compete and have my riders showed up by the GP riders that I am scouting for a ride on my team next year. What a ideal situation for the US teams, they have all thier top prospects coming to thier doorstep and showing what they can do..tryouts!!! They can sign riders with a better work ethic, less attitute,and for a lower salary....If I was a floundering crybaby US team rider, I would be concerned
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
4/29/2010 9:52pm
Team Euro wrote:
It`s a GP! A world GP!, America should feel honored that the FIM has granted them the right to host the "Circus" here. They bypassed holding...
It`s a GP! A world GP!, America should feel honored that the FIM has granted them the right to host the "Circus" here. They bypassed holding it on British soil to bring it to the USA. We don`t change the rules for any other countries teams when it travels to thier country. If I was a team manager for the US teams I wouldn`t push too hard to compete and have my riders showed up by the GP riders that I am scouting for a ride on my team next year. What a ideal situation for the US teams, they have all thier top prospects coming to thier doorstep and showing what they can do..tryouts!!! They can sign riders with a better work ethic, less attitute,and for a lower salary....If I was a floundering crybaby US team rider, I would be concerned
Well, that posts an unoriginal bag of crap. Welcome to three weeks ago.
yzrider3
4/30/2010 7:08pm
actually there is only so many ama riders allowed in, and the AMA has to approve them. I think in the rules it says their can't be more than 10.
Xavier
4/30/2010 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2010 7:28pm
500guy wrote:
Sounds like a good choice to maintain the integrity of the Series.
It was not not a "choice".

The original choice was to bypass the rules and Srb sent an e-mail to all team managers the week before Valkenswaard stating so.

The Euro Teams were furious, the MSMA (Manufacturers) heavily carried their opinion, to the point Srb/Luongo had to take this in consideration and ended up doing the right thing.

If this triggers a faster global standardisation of noise/fuel rules for MX/SX (and I think it will, at least the FIM wil push for it even more after this), it's a good point but the MSMA will have to be credited for this.
DrSweden
4/30/2010 7:55pm
Good choice.

Odd that despite years of complaints and tracks shutting down, AMA still insist on these higher sound levels? What is really holding them back? Isn't the MSMA the same as the OEM? I though they where calling the shots?
BIGHEAD1
4/30/2010 8:10pm
What's stupid to me is the performance increase non sense. The GP bikes are 15-20lbs lighter than the bikes here. That is a TON of weight. So the 1 hp they gained by running different pipes would of been offset by the lighter bikes....
500guy
4/30/2010 8:22pm
DrSweden wrote:
Good choice. Odd that despite years of complaints and tracks shutting down, AMA still insist on these higher sound levels? What is really holding them back...
Good choice.

Odd that despite years of complaints and tracks shutting down, AMA still insist on these higher sound levels? What is really holding them back? Isn't the MSMA the same as the OEM? I though they where calling the shots?
No tracks are being shut down because the noise made at a National.

there is still no local, state or Federal enforcement on sound,
cpj36
4/30/2010 8:24pm
Everything from U.S. teams suggests lower power output and more weight than the GP bikes. If you want the same noise/fuel, make them all run the same bikes.

If the AMA guys had decided to show, you would had been SOL with the rule bending. They're not going so now they go on and give you your moral victory.
englishman
4/30/2010 8:32pm
Mxxer wrote:
The most important 'between the lines' factor here is that the teams GP stuck together to overturn a decision implemented by Luongo and Srb. That's great...
The most important 'between the lines' factor here is that the teams GP stuck together to overturn a decision implemented by Luongo and Srb. That's great news.
AGREED !!!!
Sunhouse
4/30/2010 8:33pm
It´s a GP, and GP rules should apply. Anything else and it would seem stupid!!
cpj36
4/30/2010 8:42pm
Sunhouse wrote:
It´s a GP, and GP rules should apply. Anything else and it would seem stupid!!
Yes, and any "moto of nations" should allow for all participants to run what they are already running throughout their own national series.
Sunhouse
4/30/2010 8:46pm
Unfortunately for you, the AMA don´t run the MXDN´s which means your guys have to run FIM regulated bikes - the rules are the same for everyone

Post a reply to: MAYBE THE REALLY DON'T WANT U.S.A. RACERS THERE

The Latest