Luongo

bents
Fantasy
694th
8/3/2015 3:33pm
DC wrote:
Narrator, when you imply that profit it what moves my needle, you only just show you have no clue who I am or why I do...
Narrator, when you imply that profit it what moves my needle, you only just show you have no clue who I am or why I do what I do. I don't make money helping out at the nationals; I am lucky enough to have a job at a certain magazine and website so when I approach promoting, I don't do it based on profit, I do it best on what's best for the event, the riders, the fans and the promoters. That's why I said, "Don't be an idiot."

DC
MX Sports
Good thing none of the riders do it for profit either. Oh, wait.. Hey, where are all the guys who push for higher payouts, now? Usually...
Good thing none of the riders do it for profit either. Oh, wait..

Hey, where are all the guys who push for higher payouts, now? Usually it's like a Night at the Apollo when that subject comes up, and now you could hear a mouse piss on cotton.

You handed it over to big sis & the crew so you could focus on RacerX, but still help at at the nationals because it's conducive to running a periodical publication... and because you enjoy it and do a great job of it. But to pretend you're a charity worker and MX Sports is a charity organization?

Show some of that charity for 15th-25th place. The guys who are scoring points and eating out of snack machines. I cannot be the only one shaking my head at the "I don't do it based on profit" comment. Fling the shit at me all you want.
We all want to see those 15-25, and I would add right to the 40th place guys make some more cash, and this has been debated often enough to know that DC comes on here and tells us the reality of where our sport is at now. And while we would all like it be more profitable for the riders, it is a process that takes a lot of time, and it has come an awful long way since MXsports took over. And he doesn't owe anyone anything when it comes to how the business enterprise is operated.

Your characterization of DC is at odds with anything and everything his whole family has done for moto, and all the risks they have assumed over the years. And I'm guessing most wouldn't have assumed those risks. And the risk continues.
8/3/2015 3:40pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Kongols, I'm also very Stoked on the Honda 150 and 2 stroke races at the GPs...but, I'm a little weary of giving GL too much credit...
Kongols, I'm also very Stoked on the Honda 150 and 2 stroke races at the GPs...but, I'm a little weary of giving GL too much credit due to the amount of money it costs a racer to enter and the amount of money he TAKES from the racers and those classes.

Narrator, you and I have been aligned on many subjects regarding our sport, our racers and the safety issues there-in...
It's kinda like I know you to some extent. So, I can honestly tell ya this...Davey is someone I call "a Steward of the Sport". And he's a true Moto-Geek-Dork with a 3rd Degree case of Motoitis. He gives back on a scale that is unknown and truly unbelievable. He and his family have gone into some serious debt to pull off the Nationals that we now have & I can't even convey to you how close we came to ending up with a situation IDENTICAL to the U.S. Super-bike series and it's demise...REMEMBER WHEN THE DAYTONA 200 was Awesome? Well, it's virtually dead, now. I know for a Fact, that DC bailed the Nationals out of that same death ...if Davey hadn't been crazy enough to jump in with both feet...for a shit-ton of money for an awfully long time and with nothing other than a "hopeful" vision of what he's thought this could be...a vision he's had for A LONG, LONG TIME...
Well, let's put it this way...
Could you imagine IF the FIM and GL were in charge?

But, here's my biggest concern about my fellow MXers when I read threads like this...

WhyTF do we always have people point at DC and MX Sports as if they're not allowed to make a dollar while putting on ALL these events?

So...let me ask these questions in return...

What's our PAY OUT versus the GPs?
How many PRIVATEERS RACING OUT OF THEIR VAN are there at the GPs?
How many Weston Peicks in the GPs?
How many "Support" or REAL "Privateer Teams" in the GPs?
How many riders ON THE GATE?
How many riders even TRYING TO QUALIFY!?
What CONTINGENCIES does GL have...or has FOUGHT FOR ON BEHALF OF -THE RIDERS- ?
How many Euros have come over here and RACED OUR SERIES as a Privateer and achieved SUCCESS that's limited to -ONLY- the Moto-Royalty over there? (Aka "getting to race" & "afford to race") a certain Swede comes to mind...and a Russian...and...

So, it's like this...

Our races kick ass and our sport is waaaaaaaaay more affordable HERE. We have waaaaaaaay more people ALLOWED to pursue the dream. We have waaaaaay more people HAVING FUN ON A DIRT BIKE.

My only bitch with DC is the lack of Stella at the races.

Now, that REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

Jerk!
Out of all that the part I love the most

"The lack of Stella at the races"

That's unforgivable and I'm with you 100%
Gringoe
8/3/2015 3:46pm
DC wrote:
No, I didn't say I was a charity, I said I don't get paid for my work at the nationals. I make decisions based on what...
No, I didn't say I was a charity, I said I don't get paid for my work at the nationals. I make decisions based on what is best for the series, not profit. And I don't hide my identity, ever. I stand by my decisions and my work ethic. If you can't understand that, then it's no wonder you prefer staying anonymous and hide out here. Feel free to come introduce yourself anytime and we will exchange some real ideas.

DC
MX Sports
kkawboy14 wrote:
So what's best for the series doesn't equal profits? I have to admit the "I don't get paid for what I do at the nationals"....is kinda...
So what's best for the series doesn't equal profits?
I have to admit the "I don't get paid for what I do at the nationals"....is kinda like listening to Hillary Clinton speak politically, so you don't make any money off of moto and racerx is paying your way to the races?
HE doesn't make any money every weekend, that doesn't mean the "family" doesn't make money that is divided at the end of the year..
8/3/2015 3:46pm
And on the whole GL / GP subject.

Ive watched gp's for as long as I can remember, the series has clout, it's a damn good show, it looks good, it's got a far reach, it goes to a lot of places and has riders from all over the world riding for factory and factory supported teams. That's what a World Series should do. Could it be better for privateers? Yes, but so could MOTOGP. I'm sure some can see this.

And no I'm not Geoff, this has always been my view.

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/3/2015 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2015 4:04pm
DC wrote:
No, I didn't say I was a charity, I said I don't get paid for my work at the nationals. I make decisions based on what...
No, I didn't say I was a charity, I said I don't get paid for my work at the nationals. I make decisions based on what is best for the series, not profit. And I don't hide my identity, ever. I stand by my decisions and my work ethic. If you can't understand that, then it's no wonder you prefer staying anonymous and hide out here. Feel free to come introduce yourself anytime and we will exchange some real ideas.

DC
MX Sports
kkawboy14 wrote:
So what's best for the series doesn't equal profits? I have to admit the "I don't get paid for what I do at the nationals"....is kinda...
So what's best for the series doesn't equal profits?
I have to admit the "I don't get paid for what I do at the nationals"....is kinda like listening to Hillary Clinton speak politically, so you don't make any money off of moto and racerx is paying your way to the races?
Gringoe wrote:
HE doesn't make any money every weekend, that doesn't mean the "family" doesn't make money that is divided at the end of the year..
That's not what he's trying to imply!

He's saying he doesn't make money mowing the grass, pushing bikes out of the mud and running a tractor.

I'm not sure anyone thinks he would make money on those things, but if the track is profitable from the entire weekend that would translate into a profitable series for the future. I'm certainly not against DC making millions, I'm a business man also.

I have realized the riders are to dumb to ever make money from the 20th place thru 50th
early
Fantasy
2139th
8/3/2015 4:03pm
Here is what i see happening in the event more classes are added to the nationals program.

The riders are split between more classes leading to a field which is less deep.

Young privateer/amateur riders are forced travel to more races because it is a point series not an individual race championship costing more money.

Manufacturers sandbag the lower class by keeping kids down. Did anyone pay attention to roadracing around 04-05? The manufacturers only contested the classes they knew they could win. Suzuki superbike, yamaha supersport, kawasaki superstock, and honda formula extreme. It would be the same way in moto.

Amateurs still dont race locally because they want to be healthy for the outdoor amateur series.
DC
8/3/2015 4:11pm
Not sure why it's hard to understand that while I love this sport and work at it every day, whether it's Loretta Lynn's or Lucas Oil Pro Motocross, I am lucky enough to have another business that I started working on long before this opportunity came along, and it allows me to be at the races and work on them, while also working on my real job -- the one that came first and at the right time, and continues to be a great gig that pays my salary.

DC
MX Sports
TeamGreen
8/3/2015 4:13pm
DC wrote:
Not sure why it's hard to understand that while I love this sport and work at it every day, whether it's Loretta Lynn's or Lucas Oil...
Not sure why it's hard to understand that while I love this sport and work at it every day, whether it's Loretta Lynn's or Lucas Oil Pro Motocross, I am lucky enough to have another business that I started working on long before this opportunity came along, and it allows me to be at the races and work on them, while also working on my real job -- the one that came first and at the right time, and continues to be a great gig that pays my salary.

DC
MX Sports
You're still dodging the single most important problem!

Where's the STELLA?!
kkawboy14
8/3/2015 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2015 4:40pm
DC wrote:
Not sure why it's hard to understand that while I love this sport and work at it every day, whether it's Loretta Lynn's or Lucas Oil...

DC
MX Sports
I have a second company also, the profits from it go straight into a retirement for me but man do I make good profits from it!

So you don't make any profit from moto? The mag and website has to fund your moto interests? You lose money being affiliated with the running of the outdoors?
loftyair
8/3/2015 5:14pm
Please, if you have anything to do with amateur day racing, make the pros ride for at least 20 minutes!
SouthwestMfg
8/3/2015 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2015 5:32pm
What Team Green said - X2 (me)

What's our PAY OUT versus the GPs? - Money / GP . . . .
How many PRIVATEERS RACING OUT OF THEIR VAN are there at the GPs? - one for sure
How many Weston Peicks in the GPs? - one for sure
How many "Support" or REAL "Privateer Teams" in the GPs? - one for sure

The "one for sure" won Lommel yesterday, If he makes the top ten at Unadilla he'll make more money !
(than he did at Lommel)
DC
8/3/2015 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2015 5:35pm
Not sure why you are so obsessed with how I choose to go about my life... but I consider myself a very lucky man with a lot of good people around me. I am not in the series business for personal profit, I am in it because they were going to sell it to someone else who had much different plans for the series my mom and dad and very good friends and promoters like the Ritchie's, the Robinsons, the Martins, the Huffmans, the Dirt Diggers and more built in the first place and didn't want to lose. Seven years later, I like what I do a lot and what the series has done as a whole. But it's not my only job, and it's not the one that pays my way, and I'm okay with that. Any more questions, come talk to me at Unadilla. Or Indiana. Or Utah.

DC
MX Sports
Fat Fingers
8/3/2015 5:43pm
I get the point of this thread and see it has nothing to do with the nationals which do not get the crowds or tv coverage that would drive big profits.

Question is though, who is Luongo's nemesis at Feld? I see SX series and GP series as money making ventures where big profits go to the owners - this is good and bad, not the debate here. Luongo is the guy behind MXGP and the unpopular guy who looks good with devil horns on his head. Who is running the show at Feld and why is he/she not in the public eye?
8/3/2015 5:44pm
I'm not sure why people bitch and moan about the mx series, it fills 40 man gates, it's live on TV and the Internet, it has the fastest riders in the world and has some of the best tracks in the world. Maybe mx sports should quit paying for live TV and put that into the shitty purse... or maybe take a mxgp approach and come up with outrageous lies and pay nothing at all.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/3/2015 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2015 5:59pm
On most weekends the pits here are very close to full, if not full. I'm not sure how you'd add an 85, 125, or 150 class to make it the same as the GPs...unless you had the 50 riders that they do for the GP class.
Stoneface
8/3/2015 6:38pm
And on the whole GL / GP subject. Ive watched gp's for as long as I can remember, the series has clout, it's a damn good...

Ive watched gp's for as long as I can remember, the series has clout, it's a damn good show, it looks good, it's got a far reach, it goes to a lot of places and has riders from all over the world riding for factory and factory supported teams. That's what a World Series should do. Could it be better for privateers? Yes, but so could MOTOGP. I'm sure some can see this.

I started paying close attention to MXGP this year when Ryan Villipoto got involved. It's been a nice eye opener for me.
There have been numerous winners this year in both classes, high drama, 7 different brands racing, and an amazing variety of terrain. The speed over some of that ground is amazing.

The product seems pretty great right now for the fan.
The Rock
8/3/2015 6:52pm
GuyB wrote:
On most weekends the pits here are very close to full, if not full. I'm not sure how you'd add an 85, 125, or 150 class...
On most weekends the pits here are very close to full, if not full. I'm not sure how you'd add an 85, 125, or 150 class to make it the same as the GPs...unless you had the 50 riders that they do for the GP class.
How does gate size impact anything? The MX2 and MXGP races are the same length of time regardless of class size.

The real difference is single day format vs multi day format not gate size of the pros.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/3/2015 6:54pm
The Rock wrote:
How does gate size impact anything? The MX2 and MXGP races are the same length of time regardless of class size. The real difference is single...
How does gate size impact anything? The MX2 and MXGP races are the same length of time regardless of class size.

The real difference is single day format vs multi day format not gate size of the pros.
I guess you missed the part where I said the pits were full.

You know how we like underdogs, and how just about any pro who wants to try to make the show for the 40-rider gate can give it a shot?
tunedlength
8/3/2015 6:55pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Kongols, I'm also very Stoked on the Honda 150 and 2 stroke races at the GPs...but, I'm a little weary of giving GL too much credit...
Kongols, I'm also very Stoked on the Honda 150 and 2 stroke races at the GPs...but, I'm a little weary of giving GL too much credit due to the amount of money it costs a racer to enter and the amount of money he TAKES from the racers and those classes.

Narrator, you and I have been aligned on many subjects regarding our sport, our racers and the safety issues there-in...
It's kinda like I know you to some extent. So, I can honestly tell ya this...Davey is someone I call "a Steward of the Sport". And he's a true Moto-Geek-Dork with a 3rd Degree case of Motoitis. He gives back on a scale that is unknown and truly unbelievable. He and his family have gone into some serious debt to pull off the Nationals that we now have & I can't even convey to you how close we came to ending up with a situation IDENTICAL to the U.S. Super-bike series and it's demise...REMEMBER WHEN THE DAYTONA 200 was Awesome? Well, it's virtually dead, now. I know for a Fact, that DC bailed the Nationals out of that same death ...if Davey hadn't been crazy enough to jump in with both feet...for a shit-ton of money for an awfully long time and with nothing other than a "hopeful" vision of what he's thought this could be...a vision he's had for A LONG, LONG TIME...
Well, let's put it this way...
Could you imagine IF the FIM and GL were in charge?

But, here's my biggest concern about my fellow MXers when I read threads like this...

WhyTF do we always have people point at DC and MX Sports as if they're not allowed to make a dollar while putting on ALL these events?

So...let me ask these questions in return...

What's our PAY OUT versus the GPs?
How many PRIVATEERS RACING OUT OF THEIR VAN are there at the GPs?
How many Weston Peicks in the GPs?
How many "Support" or REAL "Privateer Teams" in the GPs?
How many riders ON THE GATE?
How many riders even TRYING TO QUALIFY!?
What CONTINGENCIES does GL have...or has FOUGHT FOR ON BEHALF OF -THE RIDERS- ?
How many Euros have come over here and RACED OUR SERIES as a Privateer and achieved SUCCESS that's limited to -ONLY- the Moto-Royalty over there? (Aka "getting to race" & "afford to race") a certain Swede comes to mind...and a Russian...and...

So, it's like this...

Our races kick ass and our sport is waaaaaaaaay more affordable HERE. We have waaaaaaaay more people ALLOWED to pursue the dream. We have waaaaaay more people HAVING FUN ON A DIRT BIKE.

My only bitch with DC is the lack of Stella at the races.

Now, that REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

Jerk!
With the exception of the request for that swill that passes as beer, this is your best post ever.
The Rock
8/3/2015 7:13pm
The Rock wrote:
How does gate size impact anything? The MX2 and MXGP races are the same length of time regardless of class size. The real difference is single...

GuyB wrote:
I guess you missed the part where I said the pits were full. You know how we like underdogs, and how just about any pro who...
I guess you missed the part where I said the pits were full.

You know how we like underdogs, and how just about any pro who wants to try to make the show for the 40-rider gate can give it a shot?
I did actually miss it but you are really going to go with the pits being too full as a bad thing?
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/3/2015 7:17pm
The Rock wrote:
I did actually miss it but you are really going to go with the pits being too full as a bad thing?
I surrender.
jeffro503
8/3/2015 7:31pm
Why is anyone even questioning how / where Davey makes his money? Isn't that his business? I know damn well he busts his ass to make the American nationals the premier series on this freakin planet! And he's done an awfully good job of doing it from a fans perspective.

Some of you guys complaining , how about this and that , grow a set and meet up with Davey and voice your concerns? I know damn well he'd listen to them , and if it's a great idea , who knows maybe it'll work out. If it's a crappy idea , I'm sure he'll tell you why it won't work.

And to Davey himself , brother I hope you keep doin' what you're doin'! I don't care how much money you make from doing everything you do , whether it's a $1,000.00 or a million...all I care about is if the riders get taken care of the best way possible and I get to watch my damn moto's Saturday night after I get back from roostin'.....I couldn't care less.
8/6/2015 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2015 4:19pm
And on the whole GL / GP subject. Ive watched gp's for as long as I can remember, the series has clout, it's a damn good...

Stoneface wrote:
I started paying close attention to MXGP this year when Ryan Villipoto got involved. It's been a nice eye opener for me. There have been numerous...
I started paying close attention to MXGP this year when Ryan Villipoto got involved. It's been a nice eye opener for me.
There have been numerous winners this year in both classes, high drama, 7 different brands racing, and an amazing variety of terrain. The speed over some of that ground is amazing.

The product seems pretty great right now for the fan.
And isn't that what mx should be about? Thank you sir.

And the GP series had a god damn privateer take the OA at possibly the worlds hardest track this weekend....

Haters on promoters for me is dumb, think you can do better? It's all right there, go take it, hell there's even a dedicated and switched on fan base that's accessible immediately via the web....was it the same when the two largest promoters of mx started? No. Yet here they are, successful and helping the sport, and some of you shitbags think you are owed.....

DC, keep doing what you're doing.

You too Luongo.

Post a reply to: Luongo

The Latest