Lower Footpeg Options

Lightning78
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:03pm
Im 6'3 and have ran fastway lowered footpegs with a tall seat on most of my bikes with great sucess since they came out. Although I think they are some of the best out there, Im not exactly working a lot right now and on a very tight budget, need to get some lower footpegs for both my RM250's does anyone know of any other brands out there that are lower than stock and less expensive?

Just looking for input if anyone knows of any other pegs that are lower I have very long legs and my bikes always feel cramped even with a tall seat and bar risers ....I sold my last CRF with the pastway pegs on them ....big mistake. Any input would be appreciated ....thanks guys!
|
StatutoryApe
10/28/2011 3:51pm
You should call the guys up at Motosport outlet, i always try out different sets of wider pegs to help me to get comfortable and they were a huge help in my selection and have alot of info on brands and specs. Hope that helps.

And no i don't work for them or am i trying to plug them it's just a suggestion.
Lightning78
10/28/2011 4:03pm
I'll look into it thanks for your reply I'll check it out sounds like good advice I definitely need something now my bikes are way too cramped I wish I never sold those tags with my last bike Sad
10/28/2011 4:10pm
Not much help here, but I'm curious to hear if you have a problem with your feet getting ripped off the pegs more than usual. I always wanted lower pegs but feared for my knees!
StatutoryApe
10/28/2011 4:14pm
I'll look into it thanks for your reply I'll check it out sounds like good advice I definitely need something now my bikes are way too...
I'll look into it thanks for your reply I'll check it out sounds like good advice I definitely need something now my bikes are way too cramped I wish I never sold those tags with my last bike Sad
Also have you tried a taller seat or different bends in your handlebars ?

The Shop

StatutoryApe
10/28/2011 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2011 5:59pm
I'll look into it thanks for your reply I'll check it out sounds like good advice I definitely need something now my bikes are way too...
Also have you tried a taller seat or different bends in your handlebars ?
Also i found this for you http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1397 supposed to lower your pegs by 1/2 inch

EDIT: sorry i forgot you're on an rmz now.
Lightning78
10/28/2011 6:33pm
Not much help here, but I'm curious to hear if you have a problem with your feet getting ripped off the pegs more than usual. I...
Not much help here, but I'm curious to hear if you have a problem with your feet getting ripped off the pegs more than usual. I always wanted lower pegs but feared for my knees!
I don't fear getting my feet ripped off the pegs I don't think 10mm will be a danger to that but it will make a huge difference in how comfortable I am on the bike..... @ ape..... Thanks for the input please don't insult me by saying I ride a 4 stroke (kidding of course Wink ) they are both 2 stroke rm250's an 06 for moto and an 01 for the hills and desert or a backup, both are amazing bikes I have a tall sdg seat I use for both bikes hoping when my budget allows to get a second one and I also use 30mm bar riders on both bikes I want the pegs to lower my cg it has made a world of difference on every bike I have used them on ..... It sucks being as tall and long legged as I am since bikes are made for much shorter riders the riders and seats help but the pegs are the key to making the bike fit me best.
Lightning78
10/28/2011 6:39pm
Dirtworld I also wanted to mention that I never had a problem with my feet getting ripped off the pegs when I used the lower pegs it could be an issue but I'm willing to take the risk to be more comfortable on the bike ...... Most socal tracks don't rut up that badly and when they do I just look for more shallow lines to take
stillwelding
10/28/2011 7:02pm
Dirtworld I also wanted to mention that I never had a problem with my feet getting ripped off the pegs when I used the lower pegs...
Dirtworld I also wanted to mention that I never had a problem with my feet getting ripped off the pegs when I used the lower pegs it could be an issue but I'm willing to take the risk to be more comfortable on the bike ...... Most socal tracks don't rut up that badly and when they do I just look for more shallow lines to take
Willing to take the risk? So was I. After having my foot trailing my footpeg, with my toes getting a good look at the rear axle bolt, I paid a few trips to the orthopedic surgeon for knee draining (only a couple of times). The torn meniscus still bothers me occasionally, and I was really comfortable until then.
Tim507
10/28/2011 7:02pm
I am a short guy with long legs. When I was fitted for my road bike and Mtn Bike In was told I was split tall!!!??? Oh well.....on my MX and offroad bikes I use fastway (1/2" down 1/2" back and 3/4" + bar risers). I have researched everything I can find and except for a custom frame this is it. Good luck - a custom frame would be interesting but sort of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Lightning78
10/28/2011 7:13pm
Dirtworld I also wanted to mention that I never had a problem with my feet getting ripped off the pegs when I used the lower pegs...
Willing to take the risk? So was I. After having my foot trailing my footpeg, with my toes getting a good look at the rear axle...
Willing to take the risk? So was I. After having my foot trailing my footpeg, with my toes getting a good look at the rear axle bolt, I paid a few trips to the orthopedic surgeon for knee draining (only a couple of times). The torn meniscus still bothers me occasionally, and I was really comfortable until then.
I didn't mean it like that what I was getting at is that I haven experienced any problems in the past not to say I wouldn't be at a greater risk for it but I would prefer having them over not it would allow the bike to be more in my lap
nytsmaC
10/28/2011 7:14pm
Cut the posts off of your stock footpegs with a bandsaw and weld them to the opposite side, switch the footpeg springs from left to right and upside down and you're good to go. Same idea as flipping the Fastway collars. I did that with both of my Huskies rather than buy pegs as the stock ones are decently sized.

I've been running lowboy pegs for 10 years as I'm 6'7 and have never had an issue with them but I'm not much of a woods rider either. Since switching to Husqvarna I find I don't need a tall seat foam or aftermarket top triple clamp anymore either, they are build for tall people. I only did the footpegs because it was practically free, completely stock the bike wasn't cramped feeling.
Big
10/29/2011 1:59am
Not much help here, but I'm curious to hear if you have a problem with your feet getting ripped off the pegs more than usual. I...
I don't fear getting my feet ripped off the pegs I don't think 10mm will be a danger to that but it will make a huge...
I don't fear getting my feet ripped off the pegs I don't think 10mm will be a danger to that but it will make a huge difference in how comfortable I am on the bike..... @ ape..... Thanks for the input please don't insult me by saying I ride a 4 stroke (kidding of course Wink ) they are both 2 stroke rm250's an 06 for moto and an 01 for the hills and desert or a backup, both are amazing bikes I have a tall sdg seat I use for both bikes hoping when my budget allows to get a second one and I also use 30mm bar riders on both bikes I want the pegs to lower my cg it has made a world of difference on every bike I have used them on ..... It sucks being as tall and long legged as I am since bikes are made for much shorter riders the riders and seats help but the pegs are the key to making the bike fit me best.
Sukaz is maybe the most uncomfortable for tall riders like you? Of course the Kawi same yearmodel. Tried some other bikes and have you self any favoritbike?
aedwards07
10/29/2011 7:06am
nytsmaC wrote:
Cut the posts off of your stock footpegs with a bandsaw and weld them to the opposite side, switch the footpeg springs from left to right...
Cut the posts off of your stock footpegs with a bandsaw and weld them to the opposite side, switch the footpeg springs from left to right and upside down and you're good to go. Same idea as flipping the Fastway collars. I did that with both of my Huskies rather than buy pegs as the stock ones are decently sized.

I've been running lowboy pegs for 10 years as I'm 6'7 and have never had an issue with them but I'm not much of a woods rider either. Since switching to Husqvarna I find I don't need a tall seat foam or aftermarket top triple clamp anymore either, they are build for tall people. I only did the footpegs because it was practically free, completely stock the bike wasn't cramped feeling.
We used to do this all the time as well.Actually works very well.
kyle450rider
10/29/2011 8:33am
Im 6'3 and have ran fastway lowered footpegs with a tall seat on most of my bikes with great sucess since they came out. Although I...
Im 6'3 and have ran fastway lowered footpegs with a tall seat on most of my bikes with great sucess since they came out. Although I think they are some of the best out there, Im not exactly working a lot right now and on a very tight budget, need to get some lower footpegs for both my RM250's does anyone know of any other brands out there that are lower than stock and less expensive?

Just looking for input if anyone knows of any other pegs that are lower I have very long legs and my bikes always feel cramped even with a tall seat and bar risers ....I sold my last CRF with the pastway pegs on them ....big mistake. Any input would be appreciated ....thanks guys!
Sounds to me like you really like the fastways. Why change a good thing. Just get another set. I've had mine on 3 different bikes now and they still look new.
Lightning78
10/29/2011 11:35am
I don't fear getting my feet ripped off the pegs I don't think 10mm will be a danger to that but it will make a huge...
Big wrote:
Sukaz is maybe the most uncomfortable for tall riders like you? Of course the Kawi same yearmodel. Tried some other bikes and have you self any...
Sukaz is maybe the most uncomfortable for tall riders like you? Of course the Kawi same yearmodel. Tried some other bikes and have you self any favoritbike?
Nnnnnnnope ill only ride the yellow bikes Wink
Lightning78
10/29/2011 11:42am
nytsmaC wrote:
Cut the posts off of your stock footpegs with a bandsaw and weld them to the opposite side, switch the footpeg springs from left to right...

That's a great solution but I don't have the resources to do this and if I paid someone it would likely end up being a wash. I like the fastways but the just cost a wee bit much for my budget and x2 since I have 2 bikes ..... I've had both for a couple years now that have been paid for .....they're not the same footpeg mounts either so it would require 2 sets don't get me wrong I'd do the fastways just baffled there aren't any other mfg's out there that make parts for taller riders ....we really have very limited options if you think about it
TeamGreen
10/29/2011 12:27pm
Im 6'3 and have ran fastway lowered footpegs with a tall seat on most of my bikes with great sucess since they came out. Although I...

I'd REALLY, REALLY, REALLY rather see you run a tall seat and bar/clamp set-up for your own good...

I know that some of the Teams have a -10mm set-up and that the Idea of lowering the pegs is often "Frowned" at.

Good luck.
Lightning78
10/29/2011 2:48pm

TeamGreen wrote:
I'd REALLY, REALLY, REALLY rather see you run a tall seat and bar/clamp set-up for your own good... I know that some of the Teams have...
I'd REALLY, REALLY, REALLY rather see you run a tall seat and bar/clamp set-up for your own good...

I know that some of the Teams have a -10mm set-up and that the Idea of lowering the pegs is often "Frowned" at.

Good luck.
Just a slightly lower peg would be a huge difference for me my knees are already above the tall seat I understand the risks but overall it would make a better ride
hellion
10/29/2011 3:01pm
I'm 6'5" and run the fastways with a slighly tall seat, and bar mounts full forward with a tall bar. The goal is to be comfortable and also keep your center of gravity where the manufacturer intended for it to be. Just putting on a really tall seat you end up so high that the bike no longer handles like it should. Also, for those who don't think so, a half inch of drop on the pegs makes a big difference in comfort for a tall person. And, as for getting your feet ripped off; I ride New Englands nastiest woods and don't have a problem. But I also ride on the balls of my feet and not my arch, and I keep a keen eye out for anything that might grab my foot.
CamP
10/29/2011 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2011 12:11pm
I tore my ACL landing in a rut and getting my foot twisted in a 180. Lowboy footpegs are scary.
Lightning78
10/29/2011 4:36pm
hellion wrote:
I'm 6'5" and run the fastways with a slighly tall seat, and bar mounts full forward with a tall bar. The goal is to be comfortable...
I'm 6'5" and run the fastways with a slighly tall seat, and bar mounts full forward with a tall bar. The goal is to be comfortable and also keep your center of gravity where the manufacturer intended for it to be. Just putting on a really tall seat you end up so high that the bike no longer handles like it should. Also, for those who don't think so, a half inch of drop on the pegs makes a big difference in comfort for a tall person. And, as for getting your feet ripped off; I ride New Englands nastiest woods and don't have a problem. But I also ride on the balls of my feet and not my arch, and I keep a keen eye out for anything that might grab my foot.
Center of gravity....that's exactly the point I was trying to make. The pegs are a vital key to the puzzle of getting. A bike to fit me and yes that half inch makes a massive difference I've never. Ridden better than when I had those pegs due to the egros being much better for me and have never had an issue with feet getting ripped off the pegs not to say it wouldn't happen I find it far more risky riding without them due to Ho high up I am on the bike. Not to mention they are swept back so my size 12 feet don't accidentally clip the shifted or brake, I ride on the balls of my feet as much as possible but it still happens once in a while I'm gonna look into the protaper pegs as well got a friend that works for them he may be able to do me a favor Smile
ME686
10/29/2011 4:44pm
system tech racing.
Lightning78
10/29/2011 5:34pm
ME686 wrote:
system tech racing.
Hmmmm never heard of them but ill check them out.

I researched Protaper Pegs....Holy Crap they are expensive and don't offer much in the way of lowering options. For my 06 ill get the fastway pegs and be a done deal.

Unfortunately upon looking for fastway pegs for my 01 RM250 they dont make them Sad buuuut I looked closer at the mounting of the 01 and compared to a brand new set of 02 CR and up pegs and they I believe with a little grinding off the front notch Ill be easily able to mount them onto my 01 effectively lowering the platform close to 1/2". Does anyone own an 01 or 02 RM250 and retrofitted the CR pegs onto this bike? It seems very simple and are almost a direct fit, the height of the teeth is much lower than that of the 01 RM peg's. The 01 is my hills/play/desert bike so I am not as concerned with the poor performance of the OEM Honda pegs but it would solve the peg height problem I am having with that bike too.

Wish I had a second sdg seat so I didnt have to switch between the bikes and with careful planning my budget will allow that soon.
nytsmaC
10/29/2011 8:52pm
I don't have the resources either, but I had a metal fab shop do 2 sets of pegs for me for about $30. It's really quick and easy for them, they have the tools.

I had the same problem as you with my RMZ, my knees were above the seat/tank and the bike just felt awkward to ride for my height. I had a tall firm seat foam and protaper triple clamps and it wasn't enough, not even close. It sounds like you're set on staying with Suzukis but I don't know if you're really going to be able to solve this without switching brands. I didn't want to either but now I couldn't be happier.
Lightning78
10/29/2011 9:02pm
I'm set on the brand I love me some Suzuki ridden them all and this one fits my style the best just need to make it fit me .... Im sure back in the day TP had his altered as most factory guys have their bikes tailor made for their body I'm trying to do the same at a lesser degree
Hallzilla
10/30/2011 10:08am

Sounds to me like you really like the fastways. Why change a good thing. Just get another set. I've had mine on 3 different bikes now...
Sounds to me like you really like the fastways. Why change a good thing. Just get another set. I've had mine on 3 different bikes now and they still look new.
I used to think that until i snapped one peg, and almost killed myself off a jump. Now i buy new pegs every year ! Metal fatigue is a bitch ! Guess it also depends on hoe much you ride.

Post a reply to: Lower Footpeg Options

The Latest