Love me some hand made trickness.

newmann
Edited Date/Time 8/20/2014 9:18pm
When I was unable to come up with a true to life works silencer, I had to find someone capable and willing to build something by hand. Fortunately for me it was only a few texts and e-mails required to make it happen. Probably the most expensive low tech steel silencer on the planet, but it's a dead ringer for a 1978 RC500 works Honda part. I was almost bummed when they even painted it for me. Left me, the painter, with nothing to do.Smile

Never hurts to have a source to turn to that will let you borrow a real one to replicate. Impatiently waiting for the UPS truck to arrive....lol.

|
uk125250
8/20/2014 11:23am
That's awesome! Is that the real one painted black in the bottom pic?
pete24
8/20/2014 11:26am
thats a very cool part i have been searching for a 93-95 rm250 PC silencer that has the snap ring
newmann
8/20/2014 12:30pm
uk125250 wrote:
That's awesome! Is that the real one painted black in the bottom pic?
That would be correct.

The Shop

stillwelding
8/20/2014 1:10pm
newmann wrote:
When I was unable to come up with a true to life works silencer, I had to find someone capable[i] and willing [/i]to build something by...
When I was unable to come up with a true to life works silencer, I had to find someone capable and willing to build something by hand. Fortunately for me it was only a few texts and e-mails required to make it happen. Probably the most expensive low tech steel silencer on the planet, but it's a dead ringer for a 1978 RC500 works Honda part. I was almost bummed when they even painted it for me. Left me, the painter, with nothing to do.Smile

Never hurts to have a source to turn to that will let you borrow a real one to replicate. Impatiently waiting for the UPS truck to arrive....lol.

Sorry Newmann. Hope that Works Yamaha silencer had some value. I'm the willing (un-willing) member that Newmann's referring to.
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
8/20/2014 1:22pm
Sorry Newmann. Hope that Works Yamaha silencer had some value. I'm the willing (un-willing) member that Newmann's referring to.
Well then.........Sir, you do excellent work! That is a thing of beauty.

I look forward to the day when Newman gets the RC steed completed. Cool
newmann
8/20/2014 1:41pm
newmann wrote:
When I was unable to come up with a true to life works silencer, I had to find someone capable[i] and willing [/i]to build something by...

Laughing Trust me Bruce, that comment had absolutely nothing to do with you. More along the lines of someone who took my money for a six week project and delivered 22 months later along with gorking me on a fuel tank project that was also paid in full up front.

And that Yamaha silencer? Well I wasn't sure if it was safe for me to post pics of that top secret work of art. That has to be the polar opposite of this thing. Aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber, all wrapped up in something from the 70's? Space shuttle stuff that might just end up on my 81 YZ250. That piece deserves it's own thread. Give me the green light and I'll show it off.Smile
FWYT
8/20/2014 1:41pm
Schwing!!!!!
JA946
8/20/2014 2:40pm
Pics of my hand made pipe for the CR!

KMC440
8/20/2014 2:43pm
That is some fine work Master Bruce .... fine work indeed.

tydog
8/20/2014 3:28pm
Very nice Joe! Can't wait to see it finished.
You and FTE both have something that should ship next Tuesday, FYI
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
8/20/2014 3:37pm
Joe and Bruce are true american heroes. One is the fabricator, the other is the financier. Laughing
newmann
8/20/2014 3:39pm
KMC440 wrote:
That is some fine work Master Bruce .... fine work indeed.

Bruce didn't actually make that silencer. He was referring to another project he and I had discussed at the time that he was busy building a space ship. Yes, an actual space ship, the Red Bull Edge of Space gig! That little project we had got put on hold, possibly to be revisited in the future. Bruces work is also a precise art form itself, the work he did repairing bent and broken fins on some old and rare cylinders and heads was just damn amazing.

There are several pipe builders here in Texas, one of whom is going to be helping me with the fitting of a pipe I got that is really close to being correct but no one locally was willing to bite off building an exact copy of the silencer. Finding people that still build things by hand with such attention to detail just impresses the hell out of me.
newmann
8/20/2014 3:44pm
avidchimp wrote:
Joe and Bruce are true american heroes. One is the fabricator, the other is the financier. Laughing
I will say that guys like Bruce and other fab guys, welders, machinists.......and so on, that put forth the amount of hours required to make something by to exacting standards are my kind of people. Worth every penny that they get paid, and usually worth a whole lot more! Wink Love seeing things people make.
bvm111
8/20/2014 4:26pm
schaaaaaaa-wing!

good stuff newmann... I am slowely not becoming surprised with the repeated awesomeness of the projects you do!
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
8/20/2014 4:56pm
avidchimp wrote:
newmann wrote:
I will say that guys like Bruce and other fab guys, welders, machinists.......and so on, that put forth the amount of hours required to make something...
I will say that guys like Bruce and other fab guys, welders, machinists.......and so on, that put forth the amount of hours required to make something by to exacting standards are my kind of people. Worth every penny that they get paid, and usually worth a whole lot more! Wink Love seeing things people make.
Yes they are. I think I met Bruce a long time ago through Mouse and the Welty's, but I am not sure at this point. When I go back to Texas, I am gonna visit the garage for sure.

Oh, and I will bring the beer.
Top End
8/20/2014 7:56pm
This post reminds me of -

stillwelding
8/20/2014 7:58pm
newmann wrote:

newmann wrote:
:laugh: Trust me Bruce, that comment had absolutely nothing to do with you. More along the lines of someone who took my money for a six...
Laughing Trust me Bruce, that comment had absolutely nothing to do with you. More along the lines of someone who took my money for a six week project and delivered 22 months later along with gorking me on a fuel tank project that was also paid in full up front.

And that Yamaha silencer? Well I wasn't sure if it was safe for me to post pics of that top secret work of art. That has to be the polar opposite of this thing. Aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber, all wrapped up in something from the 70's? Space shuttle stuff that might just end up on my 81 YZ250. That piece deserves it's own thread. Give me the green light and I'll show it off.Smile
I didn't do this RC Honda silencer. Give credit where credit is due. I was referring to a project I was supposed to do, and dropped the ball, badly. Yes Newmann, you can show that Factory Yamaha silencer. It was from the late 70's or early 80's. I'll get the story from my buddy. It was 30 years ahead of its time. I think, even the core is aluminum.
Cygnus
8/20/2014 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2014 8:15pm
Top End wrote:
This post reminds me of - [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/08/20/63013/s1200_ts_protopipe.jpg[/img]
This post reminds me of -

friday10
8/20/2014 9:18pm

Non moto fab work by Stillwelding!

Post a reply to: Love me some hand made trickness.

The Latest