Loretta Lynn Regionals question

Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 4:10am
Is the common home regional in the pits whisper etiquette......

1)If a rider has qualified at a regional outside of his home region do you stay home and let those not yet qualified have their shot at a spot at the National?

2)Do you attend the regional but put the word out to those families not yet qualified that you are there for the gate drops and seat time, but plan to pull off on the last lap's, DNF'ng so as to not affect the results of those attempting to qualify?

3)Do you race to win and qualify at as many regionals as you can make it to no matter what even though, you will be scored and qualified from your home regional first (thereby possibly excluding a kid from your local circuit that you may race and know from the regular Sundays.)
|
huck
6/14/2011 8:54am
I thought you knew it all?
RNagy052
6/14/2011 8:57am
# 3, That way the fastest kids from each region get to go.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2069th
6/14/2011 9:37am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2011 9:50am
That's a really good question and one that hits home with my family. We are still undecided as to if we will have enough money to make it to LL however, we qualified at the area qualifier and regional (getting 3rd at area and 2nd at regional). I asked another dad at our race if we don't get to go, do we have the ability to give up our spot to the next in line. The answer was apparently no, and that the regions with the most entries would get the spot if we don't make it. The other dad I spoke to was understanding but also a bit peeved that we might not be able to go and we would be taking one of the spots locally, which I fully understand his feelings on this. The other dad offered to pay us our entry fees to have our son pull off on the last lap and while I thought that was a valid offer, I still may be able to make it ourselves and didn't think that was a good option for us even though we only a 20% chance of making it out there.

All said and done, I think one of the more valid points is this. We took our son out to the events to see where he sits with the competition, and from there, if it was a good decision to spend the money to go. If he didn't qualify he wouldn't be ready.
rocrac
6/14/2011 9:39am
I always felt that if your qualified already stay home unless your a factory sponsored rider racing for lots of contingency money at least that is what we did. Surely you'll affect someone even if you dnf the last moto.

The Shop

Shawn142
6/14/2011 9:40am
What do you do for a living that you could afford to just show up to a regional for the gate drops and get seat time?
downandup
6/14/2011 9:47am
Really, c'mon, listen to yourselves here.

This is sad, really really sad.
mxbum
6/14/2011 3:40pm
I have always beleived that a rider should qulaify in as many regions as possible. You are getting longer motos than at most local races on better tracks, against the competition that you will face at the ranch. If I am reading the qualifying rules correctly no one is hurt by doing this as all riders in the region a racer does NOT qualify out of move up one place in that region.

From mxsports.com "how to qualify":

•Riders who earn a guaranteed position in more than one Regional Championship will advance to the National from the rider's "home" region.
•If the rider did not qualify from his home region then the selection will be from the region in which the rider had the better finish.
•If there are multiple equal finishes, then the rider will be selected from the region in which he first qualified. All riders will move up one position in the region in which a rider was not selected due to qualifying in more than one region.

The last sentance, "All riders will move up one position in the region in which a rider was not selected due to qualifying in more than one region."

bruce
SteveS
6/14/2011 4:29pm
Also, qualifying but then not going to the big show in Hurricane Mills is OK too, because even if you qualify, if you don't enter, they take it down to the next qualifier in line. And many alternates go to ride practice and hope someone doesn't make it.
dboivin
6/14/2011 4:36pm
yeah i haven't been to LL's in many years but theres always alternates to get in. i say race the other regionals if you can, its great practice/gauge for the actual national.
mx5471
6/14/2011 4:45pm
They don't take it down to the next qualifier in line in your district. They use this power rank formula which encompasses all the districts.
Power Ranking

The Power Ranking System is a mathematical calculation developed to determine the order in which an Alternate rider should be selected to fill a vacancy in the final rosters for the Regional and National Championships. This calculation creates a number rounded up to the nearest thousandths based upon a riders' finishing position and the number of qualifying entries in the class. The higher the number a rider has based on this calculation, the better.
POWER RANKING CALCULATIONS

Power Ranking is calculated in two steps (see examples below):

Finish position divided by number of riders in the class
Multiply the result of step number one by 100 and then subtract 100. The number is rounded up to the nearest thousandths.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

A minimum of 50% of the guaranteed qualifying positions from each Regional will advance to the National, regardless of the rider's power ranking.
If a rider is disqualified at an Area Qualifier or Regional Championship event, an Alternate riders' power ranking will not be affected because the disqualified rider will still show up as a competitor in that class. However, all riders who finished below the disqualified rider will move up one (1) position at the event the rider was disqualified.
At an Area Qualifier the power ranking will be based upon the amount of riders attempting to qualify for the Regional Championship and not the total number of entries at the event. Check the Area Qualifier results on our website for the total number of riders attempting to qualify in your class.

POWER RANKING EXAMPLES

Here is an example of two riders trying to qualify for the Regional Championship from the Area Qualifier:

JOHNNY: Johnny attended the Northeast Area Qualifier and raced in the 250 "A" class. He finished 10th out of 65 riders that attempted to qualify for the class. Although he did not finish in an advancement position, he still pre-registers for the Regional Championship in hopes that he will be selected as an Alternate with a high power ranking. Based on the formula below, Johnny's power ranking is 84.6.

1. 10 ÷ 65 = 0.154
2. 0.154 x 100 - 100 = 84.6

DAVID: David attended a different Northeast Area Qualifier and also raced in the 250 "A" class. He finished 9th out of 45 riders that attempted to qualify for the class. Although one spot shy of advancement to the Regional, he still pre-registers for the Regional Championship in hopes that he will be selected as an Alternate by having a higher power ranking. Based on the formula below, David's power ranking is not as good as Johnny's; therefore Johnny would be selected for the Northeast Regional Championship before David.

1. 9 ÷ 45 = 0.2
2. 0.2 x 100 - 100 = 80

Here is an example of two riders at their respective Regional Championships hoping to be selected as an Alternate for the National:

ALEX: Alex attended the Northeast Regional Championship and raced in the Open "C" class. He finished 13th out of 64 riders that attempted to qualify. Although he did not finish in an advancement position, he still pre-registers for the National Championship in hopes that he will be selected as an Alternate. Based on the calculation, Alex's power ranking is 79.7.

1. 13 ÷ 64 = 0.203
2. 0.203 x 100 - 100 = 79.7

THOMAS: Thomas attended the South Central Regional Championship and also raced in the Open "C" class. He finished 8th out of 55 riders that attempted to qualify. Although he did not finish in an advancement position, he still pre-registers for the National Championship in hopes that he will be selected as an Alternate. Based on the calculation, Thomas' power ranking is 85.5; therefore. Thomas would be selected for the National Championship before Alex.

1. 8 ÷ 55 = 0.145
2. 0.145 x 100 - 100 = 85.5
DL
6/14/2011 5:31pm
The correct answer, IMHO, is #2. If your already qualified and want the gate drops and race practice that's fine, just make sure you don't get scored. It really is not fair to the other riders that have not made it yet.
Motodrew295
6/14/2011 10:26pm
Loretta Lynn's is all that is wrong with our sport. This thread delivers
Fleece192
6/15/2011 1:44am
IMO you should not be allowed to Qualify outside your region. A couple of years ago my kid tried at Broom, NE. More than half of the people in the pits were from the south in there big motor homes. Money money...
6/15/2011 9:08am
Fleece192 wrote:
IMO you should not be allowed to Qualify outside your region. A couple of years ago my kid tried at Broom, NE. More than half of...
IMO you should not be allowed to Qualify outside your region. A couple of years ago my kid tried at Broom, NE. More than half of the people in the pits were from the south in there big motor homes. Money money...
that ain't gonna change.

now you see the rigs even at the local level.

no point being uncomfortable while they rattle off every single class they can make a name up for and race from sun up until dark

Post a reply to: Loretta Lynn Regionals question

The Latest