Looking for a CAREER! not a 9-5.

Jwally223
Hey guys!
My name is Jeremy, I am 20 years old. I have been racing motocross for 12 years now. I made it to the A class, and I want to at least get my pro card and race a few nationals. But for me to do this, it seems impossible to make enough money to race, pay for parts, bikes, and gear. Then add car insurance and everything else on top! I don't know if it’s even worth me trying to get my card and struggling with low paying jobs because of having to take so many days off to travel. (Not planning on becoming Villopoto or anything.) I just started a Job where I work 6 days a week, full benefits, health insurance, and more! I also have My Class A CDL license. But I am just not having fun! My dream job would involve dirt, bikes, and people! Maybe driving a privateer rig to the armature/Pro Nationals. I just want to get to race or just to watch every weekend. I just want to follow my dream of racing pro a few times then, working with the future of motocross to make the sport even more EPIC! If you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know! I AM VERY WILLING TO TRAVEL!

|
VicDaMoan03
11/28/2016 6:18pm
I think there was just a thread on here about one of the smaller teams looking for a driver/practice mechanic. Didn't pay much though

The Shop

Gale19XX
11/28/2016 6:24pm
You're putting a price on your dream which tells me you should probably keep your job or find a job in the industry. Not trying to kill your dream of racing a few nationals but sounds like you're more worried about low paying jobs and days off, which isn't a bad thing at all. I'm willing to believe 80% of the guys trying to qualify are broke, and although they're broke, their dream is worth more than financial security. If I was you, I'd apply for whatever job I could to get my foot in the door of an industry that operates a lot on "who ya know." You'll meet a lot of people that can probably eventually open the door to advancement. You'll probably still be low paid but if you love moto enough you sure as hell will be havin fun!
Jwally223
11/28/2016 6:25pm
Im not looking for alot of money! Just the experience, enough money to eat pay for my phone and a few bills nothing too crazy!!
MX4EVR
11/28/2016 6:26pm
Get a job
You can race local
Job is important
Bodieg3
11/28/2016 6:29pm
Thought you had to be 21 to get class a cdl or atleast for interstate travel ?
Jwally223
11/28/2016 6:35pm
Bodieg3 wrote:
Thought you had to be 21 to get class a cdl or atleast for interstate travel ?
20 instate I turn 21 In february.
Jwally223
11/28/2016 6:36pm
MX4EVR wrote:
Get a job
You can race local
Job is important
Stay local never follow a dream. Give up and work for the rest of my life?
Jwally223
11/28/2016 6:37pm
racerx217 wrote:
go to college.....
Wish I could but, I'm not going to. There are thousands of people who never go to college and still do what they love!
Jwally223
11/28/2016 6:38pm
Gale19XX wrote:
You're putting a price on your dream which tells me you should probably keep your job or find a job in the industry. Not trying to...
You're putting a price on your dream which tells me you should probably keep your job or find a job in the industry. Not trying to kill your dream of racing a few nationals but sounds like you're more worried about low paying jobs and days off, which isn't a bad thing at all. I'm willing to believe 80% of the guys trying to qualify are broke, and although they're broke, their dream is worth more than financial security. If I was you, I'd apply for whatever job I could to get my foot in the door of an industry that operates a lot on "who ya know." You'll meet a lot of people that can probably eventually open the door to advancement. You'll probably still be low paid but if you love moto enough you sure as hell will be havin fun!
Agreed
JWACK
11/28/2016 6:39pm
Who is going to pay for your health insurance if you quit your health insurance supplied job to race motorcycles? Its not cheep to get hurt without insurance. Keep the job. Or get a job with weekends off also including insurance and you can do the nationals that way. Let me tell you.! I was kinda in your position when I was 18. Pro yeah yeah yeah. Whatev. I got hurt! hospital stay kinda hurt.. No insurance because I worked at a motorcycle shop that didn't offer it and I could not afford to purchase it outside of work. Took me till about 30 years old to pay it off. Do not do that to yourself. It sucks. Follow your dream. Don't give that up. Just be smart about covering your bases.
Jwally223
11/28/2016 6:45pm
JWACK wrote:
Who is going to pay for your health insurance if you quit your health insurance supplied job to race motorcycles? Its not cheep to get hurt...
Who is going to pay for your health insurance if you quit your health insurance supplied job to race motorcycles? Its not cheep to get hurt without insurance. Keep the job. Or get a job with weekends off also including insurance and you can do the nationals that way. Let me tell you.! I was kinda in your position when I was 18. Pro yeah yeah yeah. Whatev. I got hurt! hospital stay kinda hurt.. No insurance because I worked at a motorcycle shop that didn't offer it and I could not afford to purchase it outside of work. Took me till about 30 years old to pay it off. Do not do that to yourself. It sucks. Follow your dream. Don't give that up. Just be smart about covering your bases.
I honestly have State healthcare right now that is free. But I honestly am fine if i don't make every national. I really want to just go to all the nationals driving for some kid who trains at a facility... maybe race here and there, attend a national and try to qualify. (preferably southwick.) I want to just ride for life..
MX4EVR
11/28/2016 7:08pm
MX4EVR wrote:
Get a job
You can race local
Job is important
Jwally223 wrote:
There's a video of a speaker
I am to lazy to look it up
You should look it up
He says fuck dreams
Chase opportunity not dreams
When you get older you will realize why this is truth
11/28/2016 7:20pm
How do you expect to have a competitive bike while driving for a privateer? If you want to ride for life get a real career and ride on weekends before you burn yourself out trying to make a living in a niche industry
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
11/28/2016 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2016 7:23pm
Dreams are fun and all.... but I liken them to vacations my wife and I go on.

We go to Aruba, and its amazing for a week. But when we come back we still live in Michigan. I love Aruba while we're there (the dream), but it doesn't help me with reality (coming back home). Take the reality option, and build your reality up to what you want, because dreams only last so long.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/28/2016 8:00pm
Jwally223 wrote:
Hey guys! My name is Jeremy, I am 20 years old. I have been racing motocross for 12 years now. I made it to the A...
Hey guys!
My name is Jeremy, I am 20 years old. I have been racing motocross for 12 years now. I made it to the A class, and I want to at least get my pro card and race a few nationals. But for me to do this, it seems impossible to make enough money to race, pay for parts, bikes, and gear. Then add car insurance and everything else on top! I don't know if it’s even worth me trying to get my card and struggling with low paying jobs because of having to take so many days off to travel. (Not planning on becoming Villopoto or anything.) I just started a Job where I work 6 days a week, full benefits, health insurance, and more! I also have My Class A CDL license. But I am just not having fun! My dream job would involve dirt, bikes, and people! Maybe driving a privateer rig to the armature/Pro Nationals. I just want to get to race or just to watch every weekend. I just want to follow my dream of racing pro a few times then, working with the future of motocross to make the sport even more EPIC! If you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know! I AM VERY WILLING TO TRAVEL!

I forwarded you an email.
Jwally223
11/28/2016 8:11pm
GuyB wrote:
I forwarded you an email.
You sent me an email to where?
Gale19XX
11/28/2016 8:24pm
He went to your vital profile page and sent you a message. It will automatically get sent to the email you gave to create your vital account.
Jwally223
11/28/2016 9:04pm
Can you ride whoops? If so, I have a deal for you.
Yes sir I can ride whoops! What is the deal? Please let me know private message or thread.
JWACK
11/28/2016 9:11pm
Jwally223 wrote:
Yes sir I can ride whoops! What is the deal? Please let me know private message or thread.
Arenacross. 3 different events. Make night show. Don't even have to make the main. Get pro sx license.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
11/28/2016 9:28pm
Jwally223 wrote:
JWACK wrote:
Arenacross. 3 different events. Make night show. Don't even have to make the main. Get pro sx license.
do this.

Map out all the closest events to you arenacross, supercross and motocross.

First do a few AX events to get the license.

then hit whatever SX and MX is within a day drive from home.

Its doable with a full time job, but you'll sacrafice something along the way to do it.

Say the event is on Saturday. Work Friday and load up and drive out. I think AX events are two days so you could even skip the saturday event and make it to the sunday portion.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/28/2016 10:08pm
Maybe contact Feld about SX or Davey at Racer X about the nationals. If you are motavated and follow your dream, you can make it happen!
JB 19
11/28/2016 10:30pm
MX4EVR wrote:
Get a job
You can race local
Job is important
Jwally223 wrote:
MX4EVR wrote:
There's a video of a speaker I am to lazy to look it up You should look it up He says fuck dreams Chase opportunity not...
There's a video of a speaker
I am to lazy to look it up
You should look it up
He says fuck dreams
Chase opportunity not dreams
When you get older you will realize why this is truth
This^

And follow the money. Make the most per hour you can. There are lots of ways to make a lot of money, but how much of your life and for how long do you want to sacrifice? Find a job you can tolerate and be happy with that pays well. If you ever have a family you will understand this even more.

It's a constant balancing act between making a lot of money and not trading your life for it. If you are going to follow your dreams 21 is the right age to do it. Everyone should do it once.
Starcrossed
11/28/2016 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 2:23pm
Jwally223 wrote:
You sent me an email to where?
Check your junk folder.

Post a reply to: Looking for a CAREER! not a 9-5.

The Latest