4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Looking for Mechanic for Amateur Rider

SlowOldGuy

C100_114991330_1234794938

Posts: 837

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

6/23/2012 2:55 PM

Maksis Vilcins, an up and coming rider is looking for a full time mechanic. The position is based at South of the Border MX in Hamer SC. Anyone interested should e-mail resume's to:

ken@newenglandtimberworks.com.

drmarkr

C100_554_47466dea29d02

Posts: 2946

Joined: 8/21/2006

Location: Tucson, AZ USA

6/23/2012 9:52 PM

Full time mechanic for an "amateur" rider....now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.....

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

yanks_178

C100_101757690_1268543781

Posts: 386

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: Spirit Lake, IA USA

6/23/2012 11:22 PM

That's a tough job.. you are going to have stock and mod race bikes, multiple bike sizes, practice bikes... alot of maintaining to do! I struggle keeping up with the 3 bikes we ride at our house!

bobby397

C100_image

Posts: 3104

Joined: 3/21/2009

Location: AS, USA

6/24/2012 3:22 AM

drmarkr wrote: Full time mechanic for an "amateur" rider....now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.....

How so?

JustMX

C100_jmx_work_out

Posts: 1969

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

6/24/2012 3:33 AM

Most important question......Do they provide a pit bike?

MtnBoy

C100_buck_mule_deer

Posts: 837

Joined: 10/8/2011

Location: ID, USA

6/24/2012 6:39 AM

drmarkr wrote: Full time mechanic for an "amateur" rider....now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.....

x2

Jakes Dad

C100_jakecoyote1_1382350868

Posts: 1677

Joined: 6/22/2009

Location: Brooksville, FL USA

6/24/2012 7:44 AM

drmarkr wrote: Full time mechanic for an "amateur" rider....now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.....

MtnBoy wrote: x2

Have you guys ever been to a training facility, you know the place they ride almost everyday. Compare that to the riding that you do (if any).

Us never been but have several friends who do live at those places. They get rid of practice bikes every 6 months cause they are worn out.

That is the average "amateur rider" nowadays. Not a weekend warrior.

bobby397

C100_image

Posts: 3104

Joined: 3/21/2009

Location: AS, USA

6/24/2012 7:48 AM

drmarkr wrote: Full time mechanic for an "amateur" rider....now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.....

MtnBoy wrote: x2

Jakes Dad wrote: Have you guys ever been to a training facility, you know the place they ride almost everyday. Compare that to the riding that you do (if any).

Us never been but have several friends who do live at those places. They get rid of practice bikes every 6 months cause they are worn out.

That is the average "amateur rider" nowadays. Not a weekend warrior.

x2

iro

C100_730_450fe51028c01

Posts: 302

Joined: 9/14/2006

Location: Howell, NJ USA

6/24/2012 8:00 AM

If you live at a training facility full time as an amatuer, I would assume your only responsibility is training / riding. I find it hard to believe you can't find time to work on your own bikes... IF you make it to the big leagues, how in the hell do expect to exain to your mechanic / technicians what the bike is doing and what you want to make it better?

dak446

C100_fb_picture_100000697235122

Posts: 1034

Joined: 3/28/2011

Location: Laramie, WY USA

6/24/2012 11:11 AM

iro wrote: If you live at a training facility full time as an amatuer, I would assume your only responsibility is training / riding. I find it hard to believe you can't find time to work on your own bikes... IF you make it to the big leagues, how in the hell do expect to exain to your mechanic / technicians what the bike is doing and what you want to make it better?

This has been an issue of debate for a long time. I tend to agree with you. It's just laziness and/or excess of money on the parents' part. If they would teach the kid how to work on his own bike, it would be much better for the kid in the long run.

Jakes Dad

C100_jakecoyote1_1382350868

Posts: 1677

Joined: 6/22/2009

Location: Brooksville, FL USA

6/24/2012 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2012 11:45 AM

Funny you should mention that, this morning after rebuilding 2 supermini motors, I set them in the frame's of the 2 bikes. My 14 year old takes it from there, as he has for the last 2 years. When he says they're ready to fire up I'll double check everything before they're started. Heading out to the garage to do just that right now.

JustMX

C100_jmx_work_out

Posts: 1969

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

6/24/2012 11:31 AM

You guys have missed it.

Sandlot moto racing is dead......

Switch

C100_33

Posts: 1264

Joined: 9/17/2010

Location: OH, USA

6/24/2012 12:54 PM

Jakes Dad wrote: Funny you should mention that, this morning after rebuilding 2 supermini motors, I set them in the frame's of the 2 bikes. My 14 year old takes it from there, as he has for the last 2 years. When he says they're ready to fire up I'll double check everything before they're started. Heading out to the garage to do just that right now.

Good for you, very cool. I'm sure he will appreciate it one of these days when it's all up to him.

kongols

C100_stewart_1380551035

Posts: 15210

Joined: 9/22/2009

Location: Riga, LVA

6/24/2012 12:58 PM

SlowOldGuy wrote: Maksis Vilcins, an up and coming rider is looking for a full time mechanic. The position is based at South of the Border MX in Hamer SC. Anyone interested should e-mail resume's to:

ken@newenglandtimberworks.com.

Is he latvian or with latvian background? Name and especially surname is latvian.

The pessimist says it can`t get any worse, the optimist says it can.

Tiki

C100_135734890_1287021403

Posts: 9943

Joined: 8/1/2006

Location: Corona, CA USA

6/24/2012 1:21 PM

am·a·teur   [am-uh-choor, -cher, -ter, am-uh-tur] noun
1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Compare professional.
2. an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.
3. a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.
4. a person who admires something; devotee; fan: an amateur of the cinema.

The English language is lost on the promoters of this sport.

dak446

C100_fb_picture_100000697235122

Posts: 1034

Joined: 3/28/2011

Location: Laramie, WY USA

6/24/2012 1:33 PM

Tiki wrote: am·a·teur   [am-uh-choor, -cher, -ter, am-uh-tur] noun
1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Compare professional.
2. an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.
3. a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.
4. a person who admires something; devotee; fan: an amateur of the cinema.

The English language is lost on the promoters of this sport.

Easy there, Tiki. Don't go pulling out the dictionary on us. Logic and/or reason are not welcome here.

mx5471

C100

Posts: 915

Joined: 7/10/2008

Location: USA

6/24/2012 2:05 PM

You have to take this want ad for an am's mechanic in the proper perspective.Only a fool would do it. They're looking for a bike janitor. I understand the bikes don't last. Heck, we raced a 30 race series every year and they were shot half way thru, but we couldn't afford 2 every year. These guys are killing them. The kid is at a training facility, which first of all means no schooling, and no parental supervision. All they have are some skills and ability, and maybe, the desire to be the next RC. Now you, the mechanic, while keeping all the bikes in shape, will be expected to morph into babysitter, parent, friend, bodyguard, nurse, disciplinarian, therapist, dietician, race planner and coordinator, bail bondsman, media consultant, and sponsor rep. Keeping in mind, that if anything happens in those areas ,it will immediately be blamed on you anyway. As for racing, he's only as good as his last race. And if he didn't do good, it will be totally your fault. If I was a glutton for punishment, I'd take the job under some NFL terms. Like a non refundable signing bonus paid up front equal to they year's pay settled on. Either way,the mechanic loses. If the kid don't win, it's your fault and you're done. And if he's win's, he'll get better sponsors and mechanics. As some one said earlier. I just think the kid is too lazy to wash his own bikes and work on them a little.

newmann

C100_614585238_1207253287

Posts: 14014

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

6/24/2012 2:43 PM

Who knows, the kid may already have a cook, dietician, attorney, agent, tutor, rig driver and man friends already on the payroll and all they need now is a mechanic. Could be a dream job with huge pay and benefits. I mean, the ad was just for a mechanic right??

Big

C100_93182000_1293664247

Posts: 1000

Joined: 10/18/2010

Location: SWE

6/24/2012 2:49 PM

Some young guns becoming good mechanics and some being good at throttletwist'n. The better mechanich you becoming the worse rider. If you spending all time wrenching in a garage instead just train, rest and sometimes a little shool today. Your chances to be the next Barcia is totally gone. Do you think Canard, Barcia, Roz, etc is capable to do much more then adjust a little things? Im pretty sure they can't change a tire. But when it comes to cornering and jumping etc. They trained that to perfection instead of spending hours in a garage. There is also mechanics who train to be the cream d'la cream in their profession. And they lapping fast riders in the garage instead. Question? Have you been seeing any college footballplayer taking care of the field? Cutting grass, fix the lines, washing the clothes etc lately? Hell no! Those dumbasses has to follow a captain entering the field like sheeps. If not they would probably get lost?

Big

C100_93182000_1293664247

Posts: 1000

Joined: 10/18/2010

Location: SWE

6/24/2012 2:56 PM

And one more thing. The guy is giving someone a proper job maybe doing something he like? And belive me. A citizen with a proper job in Usa today is becoming rare. You need everyone to pay the zillions Usa have in debt you know?

dak446

C100_fb_picture_100000697235122

Posts: 1034

Joined: 3/28/2011

Location: Laramie, WY USA

6/24/2012 4:03 PM

Thanks for your observations, from Sweden. We're supposed to "believe you" that a proper job is becoming rare in the USA? LOL

rpoint116

C100_630782038_1214450256

Posts: 343

Joined: 6/25/2008

Location: Tempe, AZ USA

6/24/2012 4:43 PM

Jakes Dad wrote: Funny you should mention that, this morning after rebuilding 2 supermini motors, I set them in the frame's of the 2 bikes. My 14 year old takes it from there, as he has for the last 2 years. When he says they're ready to fire up I'll double check everything before they're started. Heading out to the garage to do just that right now.

Switch wrote: Good for you, very cool. I'm sure he will appreciate it one of these days when it's all up to him.

X100

rpoint116

C100_630782038_1214450256

Posts: 343

Joined: 6/25/2008

Location: Tempe, AZ USA

6/24/2012 4:45 PM

Big wrote: Some young guns becoming good mechanics and some being good at throttletwist'n. The better mechanich you becoming the worse rider. If you spending all time wrenching in a garage instead just train, rest and sometimes a little shool today. Your chances to be the next Barcia is totally gone. Do you think Canard, Barcia, Roz, etc is capable to do much more then adjust a little things? Im pretty sure they can't change a tire. But when it comes to cornering and jumping etc. They trained that to perfection instead of spending hours in a garage. There is also mechanics who train to be the cream d'la cream in their profession. And they lapping fast riders in the garage instead. Question? Have you been seeing any college footballplayer taking care of the field? Cutting grass, fix the lines, washing the clothes etc lately? Hell no! Those dumbasses has to follow a captain entering the field like sheeps. If not they would probably get lost?

I sincerly hope you are kidding, fishing, or just a moron.

steve_97060

C100_dscn0101_1402632001

Posts: 989

Joined: 10/4/2009

Location: Portland, OR USA

6/24/2012 4:52 PM

Big wrote: Some young guns becoming good mechanics and some being good at throttletwist'n. The better mechanich you becoming the worse rider. If you spending all time wrenching in a garage instead just train, rest and sometimes a little shool today. Your chances to be the next Barcia is totally gone. Do you think Canard, Barcia, Roz, etc is capable to do much more then adjust a little things? Im pretty sure they can't change a tire. But when it comes to cornering and jumping etc. They trained that to perfection instead of spending hours in a garage. There is also mechanics who train to be the cream d'la cream in their profession. And they lapping fast riders in the garage instead. Question? Have you been seeing any college footballplayer taking care of the field? Cutting grass, fix the lines, washing the clothes etc lately? Hell no! Those dumbasses has to follow a captain entering the field like sheeps. If not they would probably get lost?

rpoint116 wrote: I sincerly hope you are kidding, fishing, or just a moron.

judging by this post and others from him, I'm going to go with moron..

mx5471

C100

Posts: 915

Joined: 7/10/2008

Location: USA

6/24/2012 5:27 PM

Wow. Didn't know I would bring that on by my comment. There's no dream job with huge pay wrenching for some kid trying to make it. They're just trying to save money using you. But I doubt that the job would be legitimate, according to the IRS. Would the employer take taxes, such as federal and state taxes, medicare, and social security, (and match it, according to USA law) , out of the mechanics pay? So, Big. It's called under the table. I'm sure you have words for it in Sweden. Listen Big, you can say anything you want about anything here. Don't know what you can do there. But you said something about my country. You stepped over the line, talking about the United States of America. We have a free country, protected by the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution of the United States of America. FOUGHT, and paid for. I'm pissed. I'm done with this.

CRFracer117

C100_2530_47560967ba472

Posts: 420

Joined: 12/4/2007

Location: Beaumont, TX USA

6/24/2012 5:36 PM

SlowOldGuy wrote: Maksis Vilcins, an up and coming rider is looking for a full time mechanic. The position is based at South of the Border MX in Hamer SC. Anyone interested should e-mail resume's to:

ken@newenglandtimberworks.com.

Here are my request;

Gas Card, open company credit card, cover my bills while on the road, travel expenses, insurance, 401K, and dental.

Also a starting salary of 50K with a 10% cut of all winnings and signing bonuses, plus a gear and bike deal would be nice.

I can clean air filters and change plugs, little suspension knowledge, I currently do all of my own maintenance, TRUST ME I'm a self proclaimed professional at this.

Have your people contact my people PM/email sent.

Tiki

C100_135734890_1287021403

Posts: 9943

Joined: 8/1/2006

Location: Corona, CA USA

6/24/2012 7:03 PM

newmann wrote: Who knows, the kid may already have a cook, dietician, attorney, agent, tutor, rig driver and man friends already on the payroll and all they need now is a mechanic. Could be a dream job with huge pay and benefits. I mean, the ad was just for a mechanic right??

Newman made a funny. Dream Job with huge pay and benefits.

newmann

C100_614585238_1207253287

Posts: 14014

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

6/24/2012 7:13 PM

newmann wrote: Who knows, the kid may already have a cook, dietician, attorney, agent, tutor, rig driver and man friends already on the payroll and all they need now is a mechanic. Could be a dream job with huge pay and benefits. I mean, the ad was just for a mechanic right??

Tiki wrote: Newman made a funny. Dream Job with huge pay and benefits.

A man can dream, can't he?

Besides, check out the website from the email addy. Dad's building timber framed houses starting at $250.00 per sqare foot plus site work. Anyone stepping up for that kind of build surely isn't going to go in at the bottom of the build sheet now are they?

JustMX

C100_jmx_work_out

Posts: 1969

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: USA

6/24/2012 7:52 PM

mx5471 wrote: Wow. Didn't know I would bring that on by my comment. There's no dream job with huge pay wrenching for some kid trying to make it. They're just trying to save money using you. But I doubt that the job would be legitimate, according to the IRS. Would the employer take taxes, such as federal and state taxes, medicare, and social security, (and match it, according to USA law) , out of the mechanics pay? So, Big. It's called under the table. I'm sure you have words for it in Sweden. Listen Big, you can say anything you want about anything here. Don't know what you can do there. But you said something about my country. You stepped over the line, talking about the United States of America. We have a free country, protected by the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution of the United States of America. FOUGHT, and paid for. I'm pissed. I'm done with this.

geez

ProMoto

C100_6808842151_b58bb6f3b0_o

Posts: 88

Joined: 6/6/2012

Location: WI, USA

6/24/2012 7:57 PM

mx5471 wrote: Wow. Didn't know I would bring that on by my comment. There's no dream job with huge pay wrenching for some kid trying to make it. They're just trying to save money using you. But I doubt that the job would be legitimate, according to the IRS. Would the employer take taxes, such as federal and state taxes, medicare, and social security, (and match it, according to USA law) , out of the mechanics pay? So, Big. It's called under the table. I'm sure you have words for it in Sweden. Listen Big, you can say anything you want about anything here. Don't know what you can do there. But you said something about my country. You stepped over the line, talking about the United States of America. We have a free country, protected by the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution of the United States of America. FOUGHT, and paid for. I'm pissed. I'm done with this.

Once again. Ashamed to live in the US. Thanks dude.

"If you don't crash once in a while, you're not going fast enough" - Danny 'Magoo' Chandler

Post a Reply to: Looking for Mechanic for Amateur Rider

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm