Look what I picked up yesterday at Vintage Swap Meet...

MX-Files
Edited Date/Time 1/19/2015 3:28pm
Unfortunately, the beautiful girl did not come with the KO edition (first year) 1973 Honda XR75.

Both of them are pretty sweet though!

(That's a box with a new NOS exhaust that came with it below bike)

I jones'd for one of these as a kid...(girl too) but we were "stuck" riding BMX...I have one now though! Smile

Heard a neat story about why Honda changed tank for 1974...Wardy told them that this tank looked old-fashioned and wasn't cool. What, Jeff would've been about 12 telling Honda what to change. Love it!

|
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
1/19/2015 9:09am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2015 9:11am
I got stuck with b.m.x. too.....I did end up with one of these my guess is I got like a 77-78...when I(my mom) bought it it was blowing out cumulus cloud's out the exhaust...fun as hell...and I can kinda see you snapping that photo in the reflection
1/19/2015 9:10am
Thats awesome!

We have several SL bikes and used to have XR bikes. Great little engines that are just dead reliable.
RandyS
1/19/2015 9:10am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2015 9:11am
Nice Todd, looks pretty close to original. Even has the rubber on the brake lever. That's one expensive mud flap though.lol And put some air in that tire.
olds cool
1/19/2015 9:19am
My first real motorcycle after a Rupp minibike and a Honda CT70. Won the first race I ever entered on a stocker and beat this kid that hung out at the dealer I got mine from. His bike had a Bassini pipe and other mods. I could hear him all over me in every turn, lol! I was 11 yrs old and thought I was on my way to being a world champ, then I went to some bigger races and reality set in...

Great find. I hope to score one some day.

The Shop

MX-Files
1/19/2015 9:27am
RandyS wrote:
Nice Todd, looks pretty close to original. Even has the rubber on the brake lever. That's one expensive mud flap though.lol And put some air in...
Nice Todd, looks pretty close to original. Even has the rubber on the brake lever. That's one expensive mud flap though.lol And put some air in that tire.
Randy,

Yeah, it's pretty much all there but the air box...I've learned that getting these "projects" cheap is not the best way to go if they are missing a bunch of stuff...Ya spend 10 times the cost of the bike in replacement OE parts from everywhere.

Hope all is well in Nor. Cal!

Todd
SweetDaddy
1/19/2015 9:31am
Had one with a Bassani pipe - couldn't believe how much that pipe woke up that Honda.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
1/19/2015 9:38am
What's the KO edition? Does it come with a KnockOut ?
MaicoJC1
1/19/2015 9:44am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2015 10:10am
Todd,

Congrats on the XR. My first real dirt bike was a 74 Honda XR-75.

Did you go to the York (PA) Swapmeet yesterday?

Well I did and had no intention of buying anything substantial. However, I did bring my bike hitch carrier just in case a friend needed a bike hauled back to Maryland Wink

The only I reason I went was to buy a new front tire for my 71 Maico 400, and catch up with some of my vintage bike racing friends. Well I walked with a great running and fairly original 1980 Can-am 250 Qualifier with lots of extra Can-am goodies. Also picked up a very rare (from the same guy) 73-74 Maico GS/Enduro up swept pipe (in good condition)....As a Maico guy, I can tell you that this particular exhaust pipe is very, very hard to find. Could.....not.....stop...myself!Tongue

BTW, thanks again for making the "The John Penton Story," happen.

MX-Files
1/19/2015 9:48am
MxKing809 wrote:
What's the KO edition? Does it come with a KnockOut ?
MXKing,

KO is the model designation from Honda on first model years..KO, K1, etc. These XR's are worth more because they are first years.
1/19/2015 9:52am
MX-Files wrote:
Unfortunately, the beautiful girl did not come with the KO edition (first year) 1973 Honda XR75. Both of them are pretty sweet though! (That's a box...
Unfortunately, the beautiful girl did not come with the KO edition (first year) 1973 Honda XR75.

Both of them are pretty sweet though!

(That's a box with a new NOS exhaust that came with it below bike)

I jones'd for one of these as a kid...(girl too) but we were "stuck" riding BMX...I have one now though! Smile

Heard a neat story about why Honda changed tank for 1974...Wardy told them that this tank looked old-fashioned and wasn't cool. What, Jeff would've been about 12 telling Honda what to change. Love it!

Nice, what's the range those are going for now? (the thumper) The other has a lot larger cost range.

Sweet find. Never heard the tank story, but it was a basic XL and whatever else style tank.

MX-Files
1/19/2015 10:12am
Never,

You can find beaters for $300-$600 but all are missing parts, the right OE pipe, etc. Can get expensive.

The new NOS pipe is worth $1000+ on eBay.

Super clean restos are worth $6K+ I think.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/19/2015 10:27am
Did it come with the scratch and sniff seat? I'll buy it off ya!
newmann
1/19/2015 11:59am
re-mx.com you can thank me or hate me for that. Smile
The Rock
1/19/2015 12:24pm
I can't even think about the bike. I am too disappointed you didn't get a shot of her standing next to the bike. :-) Still the shirt overhang does slightly help me deal with the lack of standing pose.
RandyS
1/19/2015 12:29pm
RandyS wrote:
Nice Todd, looks pretty close to original. Even has the rubber on the brake lever. That's one expensive mud flap though.lol And put some air in...
MX-Files wrote:
Randy, Yeah, it's pretty much all there but the air box...I've learned that getting these "projects" cheap is not the best way to go if they...
Randy,

Yeah, it's pretty much all there but the air box...I've learned that getting these "projects" cheap is not the best way to go if they are missing a bunch of stuff...Ya spend 10 times the cost of the bike in replacement OE parts from everywhere.

Hope all is well in Nor. Cal!

Todd
It's Nor Cal, nothing much changes. I'm OK with that. There's a nice front fender that just went up on ebay, I'm not sure how often they come up. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Honda-XR75-front-fender-inner-brace-and-ha…
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
1/19/2015 12:31pm
Nice find Todd! Always good to find an original with the front plate and side panels. How's the ignition cover? I have had many of the 4-speed XR's over the years and about 70% have had a chain derailed and break the inside of the cover and/or the left center case. Still have the Tractor Grip tires on it?

I have had this one for about 20 years.....original from the grips to the tires. Only thing ever replaced was a chain and rear sprocket. I have parts too if need be.

MX-Files
1/19/2015 3:28pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Nice find Todd! Always good to find an original with the front plate and side panels. How's the ignition cover? I have had many of the...
Nice find Todd! Always good to find an original with the front plate and side panels. How's the ignition cover? I have had many of the 4-speed XR's over the years and about 70% have had a chain derailed and break the inside of the cover and/or the left center case. Still have the Tractor Grip tires on it?

I have had this one for about 20 years.....original from the grips to the tires. Only thing ever replaced was a chain and rear sprocket. I have parts too if need be.

That's pretty cool AHRMA! Want mine just like that only it needs to look new! Hah! I couldn't have a new one in the 3rd grade but will now! I don't know about the ignition...I was on the bike so I won't pick it up until this week.

Post a reply to: Look what I picked up yesterday at Vintage Swap Meet...

The Latest