Local old school vs current moto practice track

Spartacus
Edited Date/Time 6/23/2015 12:22pm
Seeing as they're not enough decisive topics/opinion on Vital today, I thought I'd bring serenity to the forum.

I recently got an invite to a private track and can't help but make old/new comparison. The track is laid out in a gravel/sand pit on a side hill with some awesome elevation changes and excellent terrain in general. It's far from a flat pit with walls.

The track used almost none of the available features and just looped back and forth with 8 double/triples/table-tops ranging from 30' to 80'. When I asked about the layout I was told that's what they need to practice on for the tracks they raced on.

By comparison, back in the day we would have had that track going up/out/down and all around the natural features and had all the "natural" air time we needed.

No news to any here that moto today is so focused on jumping. Seems like a flat field with jumps opens up "motocross" to a much wider audience but loses some of its original appeal and what makes it motocross IMO.

Bacon.
|
DA498
6/21/2015 11:17am
Todays kids probably don't look at golf courses like we do, there looking at parking lots Wink
motogrady
6/21/2015 11:34am

My first motocross race was in 1969.
Last one was maybe 2005.

The biggest difference, IMO, is pre mid 80's, before big air, you looked for traction.
It was about hookin up and getting power to the ground.

Post 80's, post Johnny O, it's about clearing whoop sections, and pinning it for the triples.

Just my opinion.
Captainc
6/21/2015 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2015 12:54pm
Well guys, I am an old man now and today decided that I don't need to be doing triples and doubles etc so I got a tractor in the field and got some grass mowed and am gonna make my own track.

The wife keeps horses , so today I repossessed some of the fields and had a go at track making. My waistline is now more like a coastline so I told her it's a needs must situation. So to lose weight I need to make a track.

The Shop

Spartacus
6/21/2015 12:57pm
Captainc wrote:
Well guys, I am an old man now and today decided that I don't need to be doing triples and doubles etc so I got a...
Well guys, I am an old man now and today decided that I don't need to be doing triples and doubles etc so I got a tractor in the field and got some grass mowed and am gonna make my own track.

The wife keeps horses , so today I repossessed some of the fields and had a go at track making. My waistline is now more like a coastline so I told her it's a needs must situation. So to lose weight I need to make a track.
Impeccable logic. Looks like you have some nice terrain for a track. Where we are it's flat as hell and solid clay. I could build up a nice "modern" track though..........
Captainc
6/21/2015 1:08pm
I figured time is going by quick and I don't get on my bike enough, so i am going to have a summer of practicing. The field is about 10 acres so plenty of scope for a decent track.
6/21/2015 2:06pm
A track could have 1tabletop that's 6feet long and i would be perfectly happy as long as there is good rough long deep ruts and elevation and I'm only 17btw

10 ruts in everyturn is 100 times better than a track with jumps
6/21/2015 2:32pm
Here is a pretty relevant fact: Lots of non racers can jump, but there are no racers who cannot corner.
njracer46
6/21/2015 2:50pm
Jumps separate men from boys IMO.
Fur sure brah, totally big air dude Whistling

So a c rider and an a rider hit a 100 ft jump side by side, they land into a deep rutted straight completely chewed out leading into a turn that is also rutted to hell. How far ahead will that a rider be by the time he exits that turn in front of that c rider?

I see the biggest goons in history hitting every jump at the local tracks but they can't navigate a corner or a rut to save there lives. Why do you think that is?
Tumblin
6/21/2015 3:00pm
My practice track was very cool for elevation change with drop always and stairsteps back up. It taught me the value of getting my wheels back on the ground for your run back up. It featured Lots of off chambers and it was far enough out we got to play for years on this slice of heaven.
dboivin
6/21/2015 4:29pm
you guys need to look at ruperts facebook, lol. he just took a beautiful grass field and made a track on it. lol. imagine he will chime in if he sees this.
The Rock
6/21/2015 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2015 9:54am
njracer46 wrote:
Fur sure brah, totally big air dude :whistle: So a c rider and an a rider hit a 100 ft jump side by side, they land...

So a c rider and an a rider hit a 100 ft jump side by side, they land into a deep rutted straight completely chewed out leading into a turn that is also rutted to hell. How far ahead will that a rider be by the time he exits that turn in front of that c rider?

I see the biggest goons in history hitting every jump at the local tracks but they can't navigate a corner or a rut to save there lives. Why do you think that is?
Great post. Ditto for motogrady.

I raced REM June 20th thanks to Jody Weisel on a CRF250F and had an absolute blast. Motos were 16 plus minutes, temps at the century mark combined with the REM vibe what a way to spend a Saturday! I told Frank Thomason right after practice and again at the end of the day thanks for providing a real MX track to race on.

I also took a warm up lap on the National track before practice. Hadn't been on the National track in years.

To people like thetoothperry I respect your opinion but disagree totally. I am just glad I am 58 not 28 because I am not sure of what the landscape will look like in 30 years with tracks, insurance, etc.
SwapperMX
6/21/2015 6:46pm
and they also prevent some boys from becoming men.
Which seems to be a more common occurrence every single week.
Tonycar107
6/22/2015 6:07pm
You guys should see the pro track at a place by me. There is probably 6 jumps or 7 jumps from 70 to 135 feet on it. First time I rolled up to it I laughed to myself at the sheer size of it. Two spots I was actually 5th pinned. It's sad I prefer the crappy rutted sand track, that is tiny. Not the multi million dollar one. On a side not it was nice to sit on the beach and watch the kids swim between practices.
mxdude105
6/22/2015 6:34pm
SwapperMX wrote:
I agree. Jumps are fun but these nasty amateur crashes that are claiming the lives of young riders...the common denominator seems to be jumps, jumps and bigger jumps. It takes serious skill to burn quick laps on a rutty, technical track with nothing bigger than a 10ft tabletop. Tomahawk MX is a great example of an old school-style track that is a blast to ride. One decent sized table, a few small tables/doubles and plenty of off cambers, elevation change and ruts. We need more tracks like that, less parking lots with 80' kickers IMO.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/22/2015 6:37pm
njracer46 wrote:
Fur sure brah, totally big air dude :whistle: So a c rider and an a rider hit a 100 ft jump side by side, they land...

Most "quality" tracks will have jumps set up out of tight turns, which forces riders to learn to corner faster and carry speed in order to clear the jump. I know I need to get better at cornering, a lot better. In fact, before I go on the track each ride day I go over in the practice area next to the track where they have figure 8 berms (I call ruts in corners berms, and ruts in straights ruts) set up to practice cornering - helps a ton. I wish I could have the figure 8s in my backyard to ride every day.

On a side note as far as gooning, not everybody was given the chance to ride at an early age with the nicest gear, bikes, teaching, etc. Many people like myself did whatever you could just to have an old used bike and a decent used helmet. Hell I remember having a rear tire that was almost bald smooth in the middle of the tread. Fortunately, now we can afford to have a nice newer bike and plenty of nice new gear. Not everybody was given the opportunity to get an early start in life cornering and jumping dirtbikes correctly - it takes seat time and teaching to get it right. Plus, many people still like riding but they have too many responsibilities (family, jobs, mortgages, cars, bills, etc) to risk pushing the limits too far. Doesn't make them any less of a fan of the sport. Ultimately, everybody is a goon at some point - some make it past that, some don't. It takes all kinds of good people to make up our community of riders.
njracer46
6/22/2015 8:48pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Most "quality" tracks will have jumps set up out of tight turns, which forces riders to learn to corner faster and carry speed in order to...
Most "quality" tracks will have jumps set up out of tight turns, which forces riders to learn to corner faster and carry speed in order to clear the jump. I know I need to get better at cornering, a lot better. In fact, before I go on the track each ride day I go over in the practice area next to the track where they have figure 8 berms (I call ruts in corners berms, and ruts in straights ruts) set up to practice cornering - helps a ton. I wish I could have the figure 8s in my backyard to ride every day.

On a side note as far as gooning, not everybody was given the chance to ride at an early age with the nicest gear, bikes, teaching, etc. Many people like myself did whatever you could just to have an old used bike and a decent used helmet. Hell I remember having a rear tire that was almost bald smooth in the middle of the tread. Fortunately, now we can afford to have a nice newer bike and plenty of nice new gear. Not everybody was given the opportunity to get an early start in life cornering and jumping dirtbikes correctly - it takes seat time and teaching to get it right. Plus, many people still like riding but they have too many responsibilities (family, jobs, mortgages, cars, bills, etc) to risk pushing the limits too far. Doesn't make them any less of a fan of the sport. Ultimately, everybody is a goon at some point - some make it past that, some don't. It takes all kinds of good people to make up our community of riders.
Didn't mean any disrespect, just saying what I see at the local tracks that most new people to the sport would rather practice jumping then cornering and proper technique. I use to be the same way until the day I realized that my corner speed was horrible and decided to concentrate on that more then anything. Say what you want but it takes way more technique and practice to master ruts/cornering. Nothing wrong with just going out and hucking jumps, a lot of people have way more fun on jumps. I have the most fun when I hit a turn perfect or get through a really rough section without any bobbles faster then I have all day..

As for the goon statement I wasn't referring to what gear/bike you have. It was more towards people that don't know how to control a bike in the air or correct themselves if they get out of shape. Don't take it as an insult because I have no idea on your skill or ability. I'm just going off from what I see on a weekly basis.

For the record my first real bike was a 80 2 stroke when I was 12 or so. Never spent my child hood racing 50s and up. My first race wasn't till I was 14. I have nice things now at the age of 26 because I have a good paying job finally and have disposable income that I've never really had. Mx is my only real hobby these days so that's where all my money goes. Never had flashy modded bikes growing up, never even had pre printed backgrounds. electrical tape was and cheap 3'pack numbers is what my dad bought.

Figure 8 tracks and rut tracks are the way to go, I have one in my back yard that's gotten pretty gnarly and I try to ride it a few days a week after work.

Again never meant any disrespect with the goon comment, it had more to do with skill level riding over your head then what bike/gear or whatever
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/22/2015 10:08pm
njracer46 wrote:
Didn't mean any disrespect, just saying what I see at the local tracks that most new people to the sport would rather practice jumping then cornering...
Didn't mean any disrespect, just saying what I see at the local tracks that most new people to the sport would rather practice jumping then cornering and proper technique. I use to be the same way until the day I realized that my corner speed was horrible and decided to concentrate on that more then anything. Say what you want but it takes way more technique and practice to master ruts/cornering. Nothing wrong with just going out and hucking jumps, a lot of people have way more fun on jumps. I have the most fun when I hit a turn perfect or get through a really rough section without any bobbles faster then I have all day..

As for the goon statement I wasn't referring to what gear/bike you have. It was more towards people that don't know how to control a bike in the air or correct themselves if they get out of shape. Don't take it as an insult because I have no idea on your skill or ability. I'm just going off from what I see on a weekly basis.

For the record my first real bike was a 80 2 stroke when I was 12 or so. Never spent my child hood racing 50s and up. My first race wasn't till I was 14. I have nice things now at the age of 26 because I have a good paying job finally and have disposable income that I've never really had. Mx is my only real hobby these days so that's where all my money goes. Never had flashy modded bikes growing up, never even had pre printed backgrounds. electrical tape was and cheap 3'pack numbers is what my dad bought.

Figure 8 tracks and rut tracks are the way to go, I have one in my back yard that's gotten pretty gnarly and I try to ride it a few days a week after work.

Again never meant any disrespect with the goon comment, it had more to do with skill level riding over your head then what bike/gear or whatever
It's all good man. I think I knew what you meant about the gooning. My overall point was, everybody starts somewhere and goes up from there (I'm a lot further along in my technique and style than most, but light years from being KW14-esque). I too like jumping, but ultimately I know jumping comes down to the speed you hit the jumps at - which comes down to cornering speed. The better one is at cornering, the easier all the jumps will be and the faster overall. I wish I had the land to have some figure 8s in my back yard. I'd probably put +200 hrs a year on my bike though....

On a side note, am I envious of some of these 13 year old kids out there getting brand new YZ80's to ride that can whip it over 80ft triples because they've been riding sick bikes since they were 4? Yes.
Dissident
6/22/2015 10:25pm
eh..everyone wants to be like the guys on TV so good tracks have to have SX type jobs...not gonna lie I am quite fond of tracks with supercross style jumps as they are alot of fun but i still like outdoorsy tracks

The Rock
6/23/2015 9:56am
SwapperMX wrote:
No it isn't more common....it's only the Internet (insert sarcasm emoticon)
pummel
Fantasy
432nd
6/23/2015 11:14am
The best motocross tracks take advantage of natural terrain and maybe add some lips or landings to make jumps. Look at the obstacles on National Motocross tracks-
6/23/2015 11:19am
Hole shots and fast downhill straightaways separate the men from the boys. Jumps make boys feel like men
6/23/2015 11:33am
IMO the best tracks offer great natural terrain, loamy dirt, develop multiple line choices. I enjoyed line choice and strategy rather than following each other in the same line and doing the same jumps.

My top 3 that I have raced on:

1. Mammoth
2. Honey Lake MX
3. Fernley NV
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
6/23/2015 11:37am
dboivin wrote:
you guys need to look at ruperts facebook, lol. he just took a beautiful grass field and made a track on it. lol. imagine he will...
you guys need to look at ruperts facebook, lol. he just took a beautiful grass field and made a track on it. lol. imagine he will chime in if he sees this.
That turn track is going to be epic.
6/23/2015 11:51am
DA498 wrote:
Todays kids probably don't look at golf courses like we do, there looking at parking lots Wink
Wow, that's a brilliant comment. Well done. Made my day Smile

Post a reply to: Local old school vs current moto practice track

The Latest