Loading two bikes

Micahdogg
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 10:55am
I do recreational riding and occasionally have two bikes in the bed of my F150. I always think it will be a piece of cake to tie them down, but it always ends up being a different process each time, which is a PITA when trying to fit gas cans and tool box, stands, etc... in the available space.

Can some of you share your tricks and tips for a more fool proof method of loading and tying down two full size MX bikes in the bed of a truck, with no fancy wheel chocks or little hooks that you have mounted to your triple tree bolts?
|
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
5/19/2016 7:08am
I used to just use 3 tie downs. 1 on the outside of each bike and 1 between the handle bars in the middle. This seemed to free up space in the cent without having the tie downs running all over.
mb
5/19/2016 7:20am
Load the first bike, two straps on the bars like normal. Roll the second one up, the existing tie down strap goes in between the tire and fender. Put the other strap the same way. Done.

EEE299
5/19/2016 7:22am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 7:23am
Depends where the hooks are in the truck. I get away with just running the inside tie downs through the spokes or between the fender and tire. It doesn't take me long.

As shown above
JWACK
5/19/2016 7:40am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 7:43am
Just make an effort to put the front wheel of each bike as close to the corner of the bed but still facing forward. This frees up a ton of space in between bikes.

The Shop

DavidR
5/19/2016 7:52am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 7:53am
EEE299 wrote:
Depends where the hooks are in the truck. I get away with just running the inside tie downs through the spokes or between the fender and...
Depends where the hooks are in the truck. I get away with just running the inside tie downs through the spokes or between the fender and tire. It doesn't take me long.

As shown above
I would advise against running the tie downs thru the spokes of the front wheel. The tie down can rub across the front disk brake while you're going down the road causing the tie down to frey and eventually snap. I know someone who used to do that and their YZ 250 fell out of their trailer at 70mph. Pinch
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
5/19/2016 7:56am
I've got an F150 with a short bed and have no issues with 2 bikes. Load them like mb said. The inner tiedowns will run through the gap above the front wheel and under the front fender of the other bike.

With the tailgate down I put 2 bikes, folding ramp, gas can, 2 stands and a toolbox back there easily. I can put my gear bag back there if needed but I usually put it in my back seat as I have a crew cab.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/19/2016 7:57am
EEE299 wrote:
Depends where the hooks are in the truck. I get away with just running the inside tie downs through the spokes or between the fender and...

As shown above
I do the same thing. Through the spokes seems to be best.

DavidR, I always make sure my tiedowns don't rub the disc, not because I'm worried about the tiedowns breaking, but because I don't want it to pull against the rotor and bend it Smile
newmann
5/19/2016 7:59am
I always seemed to be carrying three in the bed of my truck with gear, stands, tool boxes, cooler, ez-up, chairs and fuel jugs. Talk about a job loading all that crap.Woohoo
DoctorJD
5/19/2016 8:03am
Short-bed GMC. I try to get the bikes as close to the sides as possible. With them spread-out like this, you can run the tie-down over the front wheel (and under the fender) of the opposing bike and hook into the upper bed hook.

Zaugg
5/19/2016 8:07am
Everything you need to know right here compliments of P-Lo, Henderson, and Dano:

IWreckALot
5/19/2016 8:12am
Here are a few tips.

1 - like said, put the front wheels as far in the corner as possible.
2 - tighten the outside strap before you tighten the inside strap. After you tighten the outside strap, the bike should be leaning slightly to the outside. Once you tighten you inside strap, it will straighten your bike back up.
ricko
5/19/2016 8:36am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 8:41am
Hard to tell with pic, if you have 6.5' bed put both bikes in with wheels turned and touching in the center, kick the back ends out towards sides of bed, this means you can close tailgate, dont have to worry about any gear coming out and have the whole center of bed wide open. This is best method for a 6.5' bed I think, you can get a 3rd bike in there too since you have so much room with them like that but tailgate will have to stay down. Much better than the bikes being straight in and having tailgate down.

Dezerted
5/19/2016 8:40am
My trick is to distract my buddy and then leave without him or his bike.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
5/19/2016 8:45am
As said, load them as close to the side of the bed as possible. Tie one down then load the other bike by lifting the longer strap of the already loaded bike to get the wheel of the second bike under, then tie down second bike with the strap over the wheel of the first bike. The tie downs that pass over the wheels should settle down in the gap between knobs.

To add a third bike, use a center stand on its side so the legs contact the front wall of the bed and the top points out toward the tailgate. This will be an offset for the 3rd bike to keep your handlebars from catching eachother. Load third bike against standard strap to corner anchors. You may need to put carabiners in the anchors to accommodate landing three hooks.
hillbilly
5/19/2016 8:52am
I made a rack to hold the front wheels straight out of 2x4s ,couple horizontal at bed width, four vertical on each side of the wheels.

Rack gets held by the bikes ,and one folding D link you can get at lowes to put in the center. If lays flat when unused.

Leaves room along side to put stuff instead of the fronts being crammed into the bed corner.
Micahdogg
5/19/2016 9:04am
ricko wrote:
Hard to tell with pic, if you have 6.5' bed put both bikes in with wheels turned and touching in the center, kick the back ends...
Hard to tell with pic, if you have 6.5' bed put both bikes in with wheels turned and touching in the center, kick the back ends out towards sides of bed, this means you can close tailgate, dont have to worry about any gear coming out and have the whole center of bed wide open. This is best method for a 6.5' bed I think, you can get a 3rd bike in there too since you have so much room with them like that but tailgate will have to stay down. Much better than the bikes being straight in and having tailgate down.

Do you mean like this picture that I just stumbled across?

WVUpetro2013
5/19/2016 9:07am
For the love of god make sure that strap is not close to the front rotor as previously mentioned. I was 16 and strapped down my dads brand new bike and my ragged out bike. Of course his would be the one to fall off Unsure
ricko
5/19/2016 9:08am
ricko wrote:
Hard to tell with pic, if you have 6.5' bed put both bikes in with wheels turned and touching in the center, kick the back ends...

Micahdogg wrote:
Do you mean like this picture that I just stumbled across? [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d_sMdurNJ2s/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]
Do you mean like this picture that I just stumbled across?

Exactly, I didnt have a pic like that from my bikes but yes that is my favorite way to load em up. Lots of room, bikes are stable and can close tailgate.
Micahdogg
5/19/2016 9:22am
ricko wrote:
Exactly, I didnt have a pic like that from my bikes but yes that is my favorite way to load em up. Lots of room, bikes...
Exactly, I didnt have a pic like that from my bikes but yes that is my favorite way to load em up. Lots of room, bikes are stable and can close tailgate.
Any issues with twisting the forks? Seems like it could be a tug of war with the rim and the trees. Also, do your straps seem to clear the plastic ok? I might try this.
ricko
5/19/2016 9:25am
ricko wrote:
Exactly, I didnt have a pic like that from my bikes but yes that is my favorite way to load em up. Lots of room, bikes...
Micahdogg wrote:
Any issues with twisting the forks? Seems like it could be a tug of war with the rim and the trees. Also, do your straps seem...
Any issues with twisting the forks? Seems like it could be a tug of war with the rim and the trees. Also, do your straps seem to clear the plastic ok? I might try this.
I use for savers so no twisting of forks, never had that issue ever, if you do your probably strapping too tight, the tires just push on each other and hold there perfectly. I have plenty of clearance. Load up in the driveway and get a feel for it, its nice and you have alot of room in middle of bed.
huck
5/19/2016 9:31am
EEE299 wrote:

As shown above
DavidR wrote:
I would advise against running the tie downs thru the spokes of the front wheel. The tie down can rub across the front disk brake while...
I would advise against running the tie downs thru the spokes of the front wheel. The tie down can rub across the front disk brake while you're going down the road causing the tie down to frey and eventually snap. I know someone who used to do that and their YZ 250 fell out of their trailer at 70mph. Pinch
Did it fall off going through the wendy's drivethru, brosa?
huck
5/19/2016 9:32am
Dezerted wrote:
My trick is to distract my buddy and then leave without him or his bike.
Bullshit...nobody here believes you have a 'buddy'...
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/19/2016 9:43am
IceMan446 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/19/135782/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Problem solved.

Problem solved.
Sorry, can't do it. It's not eligible for Amazon Prime.
EEE299
5/19/2016 9:53am
EEE299 wrote:

As shown above
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I do the same thing. Through the spokes seems to be best. DavidR, I always make sure my tiedowns don't rub the disc, not because I'm...
I do the same thing. Through the spokes seems to be best.

DavidR, I always make sure my tiedowns don't rub the disc, not because I'm worried about the tiedowns breaking, but because I don't want it to pull against the rotor and bend it Smile
As long as you're careful with placement it is nothing to worry about. Mine never end up close enough to be a problem.
IceMan446
5/19/2016 9:54am
IceMan446 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/19/135782/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Problem solved.

Problem solved.
disbanded wrote:
Sorry, can't do it. It's not eligible for Amazon Prime.
There is another brand, can't remember the name sold by Chapparal that is Amazon Prime.

Same idea, little different design.
cslacker
5/19/2016 9:55am
ricko wrote:
Micahdogg wrote:
Any issues with twisting the forks? Seems like it could be a tug of war with the rim and the trees. Also, do your straps seem...
ricko wrote:
I use for savers so no twisting of forks, never had that issue ever, if you do your probably strapping too tight, the tires just push...
I use for savers so no twisting of forks, never had that issue ever, if you do your probably strapping too tight, the tires just push on each other and hold there perfectly. I have plenty of clearance. Load up in the driveway and get a feel for it, its nice and you have alot of room in middle of bed.
I do the same but put the front wheels all the way so that they contact the front and side of the bed. The bikes are completely stable and can ride offroad to camping spots etc like this and they never move.
Flip109
5/19/2016 1:18pm
disbanded wrote:
I use 2 trailers
Haha got a for real lol on that one.

The two bikes front tires touching in the middle and being able to close the tailgate is a cool idea. Why did I never think of that? Pinch
crusher773
5/19/2016 1:44pm
Get hooks put in the center of your bed makes it a lot easier. You don't have to go through spokes and stuff. I can run 3 big bikes in my short bed Dodge.

Post a reply to: Loading two bikes

The Latest