Loading a MotoVan

Vegas
Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 9:03pm
I've been doing a lot of research and shopping around and I'm just about sold on the motovan thing. I currently have a 4cyl 4x4 tacoma that I'll more then likely be keeping. But it sucks anytime I need to get building supplies or tube/sheet steel for fabrication projects. I went to take a look at a few vans so far and took measurements of about 50" high for the rear door opening. Are you having to compress your forks with a tiedown to load or do the bars clear by a cunt hair? I measured my bike and the tops of the hand guards are right at 50"

I guess what I'm asking is how much of a pain in the ass is it to load a motovan vs. a truck?
|
r.sal923
3/19/2015 12:17pm
Way better to load, the angle of the ramp and hight of the rear wheel somehow lowers the bars so it slides right in. I have a new f150 and a 2001 ram van, I will not use my truck for moto because loading it sucks
pete24
3/19/2015 12:44pm
the bikes slip rite in

The Shop

3/19/2015 2:53pm

My tire touches door. Front tire on the wall. Can fit 3 bikes or 1 and a ton of vacation shit.
Ebs
3/19/2015 3:07pm
I dig some of these Unicell/Aerocell bodied vans. If it doesn't have to hold down daily driver duties that would seem like a nice way to go.

3/19/2015 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 3:16pm

My van is the 4.3L 6 cyl. Short cargo. Gets about 18-20 mpg. Costed me 550 to drive to florida and back from northern Ohio a mile south of lake Erie.

Make sure your measurements are spot on is all my advice. Only reason I went with this small van was for cheaper tags, better mpg and overall cost. Paid 14500 for it with 78,000 miles and it's an 09.

If you got the money and no issue an extended 8cyl or diesel would be the way to go but now you're soending 30k+ on a Motovan that does the same as mine.
3/19/2015 3:18pm
Rolls out into a bed at night. Extremely tight but possible. Boxed out and insulated. Stays cool and warm and no smell of gas rolling down the road.

Sorry for repeat posts but for some reason it's not showing more than 1 pic to be displayed. But they're all posting after.
hillbilly
3/19/2015 3:25pm
A long time member her was warming his open 2 str one morning with it on a stand.

He drove a old dodge van with that big window behind the driver. The bike slipped off the stand ,hit the shifter and launched thru the side doors and puched the front wheel out that window.

I wont mention his id,see if he comes by to read this,lol.
Ryan598
3/19/2015 4:35pm
Vans are definitely the way to go. I always put the 3rd bike in backwards in mine and you can just use the holes in the frame of the van to strap them down.

brocster
3/19/2015 5:35pm
Vegas wrote:
I've been doing a lot of research and shopping around and I'm just about sold on the motovan thing. I currently have a 4cyl 4x4 tacoma...
I've been doing a lot of research and shopping around and I'm just about sold on the motovan thing. I currently have a 4cyl 4x4 tacoma that I'll more then likely be keeping. But it sucks anytime I need to get building supplies or tube/sheet steel for fabrication projects. I went to take a look at a few vans so far and took measurements of about 50" high for the rear door opening. Are you having to compress your forks with a tiedown to load or do the bars clear by a cunt hair? I measured my bike and the tops of the hand guards are right at 50"

I guess what I'm asking is how much of a pain in the ass is it to load a motovan vs. a truck?
I have had ford vans and now have a gmc and never had an issue with bar clearance loading either one. I would think that you are losing a little bar clearance with the hand guards though. Loaded bikes in trucks for years but I much prefer the motovan route having all my $hit encapsulated.
3/19/2015 5:37pm
People that don't have a wall are nuts. One accident and you're tools gear and bike will kill you.
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
3/19/2015 5:51pm
Just picked up a 2014 Transit Connect wagon. Removed all but one of the rear seats and bike fits in just fine. Have to ratchet down the forks before loading to make clearance but otherwise it's a good fit. Thanks ml512!

hillbilly
3/19/2015 6:23pm
People that don't have a wall are nuts. One accident and you're tools gear and bike will kill you.
RC16 didn't have no stinking wall.
jim598
3/19/2015 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 7:32pm
as you can see in Ryan598s picture they fit under the liner. our Hondas fit with a inch to spare. but his KX450 rubs through the door opening. if you have a holeshot device it will make it easy.
3/19/2015 7:58pm
bayodome wrote:
Just picked up a 2014 Transit Connect wagon. Removed all but one of the rear seats and bike fits in just fine. Have to ratchet down...
Just picked up a 2014 Transit Connect wagon. Removed all but one of the rear seats and bike fits in just fine. Have to ratchet down the forks before loading to make clearance but otherwise it's a good fit. Thanks ml512!

I have thought of this as an option. Any more pics?, +/-, regrets?
endurox
3/19/2015 8:00pm
Ebs wrote:
I dig some of these Unicell/Aerocell bodied vans. If it doesn't have to hold down daily driver duties that would seem like a nice way to...
I dig some of these Unicell/Aerocell bodied vans. If it doesn't have to hold down daily driver duties that would seem like a nice way to go.

Ford Transist Unicell
Either a 3.5 twin turbo gas or a diesel

motosmith
3/19/2015 9:27pm
Two friends of mine had a skill saw fly between their heads in an accident. It almost went all the way through the windshield.

jeffro503
3/19/2015 10:12pm
lostboy819 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/19/84315/s1200_scan003001_1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/19/84316/s1200_scan004001.jpg[/img]

God damn LB.....every time I see pics of your old Chevy van , jealousy sets in. haha.

I love my new motovan. And even though I brag that I got the best deal ever on it ( long story , bought it from a crazy Russian who listed it wrong )......I'm into it $1800.00 in repairs so far. She finally has most of the bugs worked out I think. And this summer I'm going to take the time to make it into a nice motovan in the back. Not going to do the sleeper thing though. Since I may need that extra 3' for other things.

BTW....that ladder rack is already gone.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/19/2015 11:31pm
jeffro503 wrote:
God damn LB.....every time I see pics of your old Chevy van , jealousy sets in. haha. I love my new motovan. And even though I...
God damn LB.....every time I see pics of your old Chevy van , jealousy sets in. haha.

I love my new motovan. And even though I brag that I got the best deal ever on it ( long story , bought it from a crazy Russian who listed it wrong )......I'm into it $1800.00 in repairs so far. She finally has most of the bugs worked out I think. And this summer I'm going to take the time to make it into a nice motovan in the back. Not going to do the sleeper thing though. Since I may need that extra 3' for other things.

BTW....that ladder rack is already gone.

I still have my van and don't think I will ever sell it, it is getting freshened up now but sometimes I just take it out for a drive. They are a lot of fun to customize and personalize, I may need to buy something a little newer just for a project. Take some more pics of yours as you build it and keep us posted. Cool
3/20/2015 12:12am
bayodome wrote:
Just picked up a 2014 Transit Connect wagon. Removed all but one of the rear seats and bike fits in just fine. Have to ratchet down...

I have thought of this as an option. Any more pics?, +/-, regrets?
That would be a purchase kill for me. There's not a thing more annoying than not being able to get your bike in the back of that van without ratcheting down the front end first. Screw that. It's unfortunate, those vans are nice. I guess if you need a vehicle for work and you're using the van as a secondary to haul your bike this would be ok.

The sprinters are the way to go, the clearance is so good you can stack two bikes on top of each other.

Stock wheels and ladder racks make for great "aint no dirtbike in here" camoflauge. Wink
VET176
3/20/2015 12:22am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/19/84285/s1200_image.jpg[/img] My tire touches door. Front tire on the wall. Can fit 3 bikes or 1 and a ton of vacation shit.

My tire touches door. Front tire on the wall. Can fit 3 bikes or 1 and a ton of vacation shit.
Good to see you have ample poo tickets aboard. At my age these are the 2nd most important article to pack!
3/20/2015 12:32am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 12:32am
Just The necessities:

Bike stands/equip/tools
clothes
Golf clubs (and man do I suck at golf, but they're necessary for the next necessity...beer)
cooler/beer
beach supplies
shit paper
Darryl916
3/20/2015 7:27am
Just The necessities: Bike stands/equip/tools clothes Golf clubs (and man do I suck at golf, but they're necessary for the next necessity...beer) cooler/beer beach supplies shit...
Just The necessities:

Bike stands/equip/tools
clothes
Golf clubs (and man do I suck at golf, but they're necessary for the next necessity...beer)
cooler/beer
beach supplies
shit paper
Can you explain how you build the walls and attach them to the van securely?
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/20/2015 8:24am
The Ford Transit looks like the best van nowadays to turn into a moto van. It can be a little pricey though. The smaller transit connect looks like it would be good for just a solo guy.

When I was a kid my dad and I had a box van for a number of years that we turned into our moto rig. It was pretty sweet and we even had a lift gate on the back so loading the bikes was very simple. I don't remember what motor was in it but it had to of been on the smaller size because it wasn't the most economical thing to drive up a hill or into the wind. I remember one time going up to Cooperland from Dallas one weekend there was a massive headwind and our MPG dropped well into the single digits.
3/20/2015 8:42am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 8:45am
Just The necessities: Bike stands/equip/tools clothes Golf clubs (and man do I suck at golf, but they're necessary for the next necessity...beer) cooler/beer beach supplies shit...
Just The necessities:

Bike stands/equip/tools
clothes
cooler/beer
beach supplies
shit paper
Darryl916 wrote:
Can you explain how you build the walls and attach them to the van securely?
About 6 2x4s.
3 sheets 3/4 in plywood.
Standard wall insulation.
You basically build the wall like you would a house. Measure up, frame it. Box out the back. Seal with caulk. And mount theough the floor of van and the side struts of the van alongside shell. . Lag bolts on the floor and sheet metal screws on the side. Just don't get too long and blow a hole through your van. That would be bad.

Don't really know how else to explain as I'm not a carpenter and I'm delirious from night shift. .....but like a house. Lol. Night.

Post a reply to: Loading a MotoVan

The Latest