Lets talk about being a true Privateer.

500guy
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:09am

1st If you don't have a Factory ride or a good satellite ride coming out of the Amateurs you are going to more then likely be a privateer for a long time.

This is either going to require you be very industrious or have some good backing and sponsors.

The percentage of riders that get moved up is small I'd guess less then 1-2% and then the guy's that are losing Factory rides are going to fill paying spots for a few more years until they are done.

end of story is as a Privateer you are going to need to figure out what you can do and how you can survive, maybe racing local and some fair races is the best money avenue you have and lets face it if you are not winning those maybe you shouldn't be on the road to Nationals.

Prize money at this point will never sustain a racing effort over a season unless you are getting top 10 or better and can conduct / market yourself good enough to land a paying ride.

So at the end of the day going for your dream is awesome and a never say die attitude but don't jump head over heals into this deal thinking you are going to own a compound and race car like Ricky, be realistic and don't over extend yourself or your folks.

|
pie8man
6/18/2010 1:13pm
Pretty much sums it up. Back in the 90's a Pro could knock down $500 bucks during "Hot Summer Nights" on a Wednesday at Starwest... Well if you could beat Matiasavich that is.
Privateers have never made money racing the nationals. That is one thing that has not changed. There are far more riders and far fewer paying pro rides to go around. They do it for the opportunity to be seen by a team to get hired. It seems that unless you have had a stellar and I mean stellar documented amateur career you are going to be a privateer for a long time. Sad but true, if you are not top 10 right away you are not going to make a living for long on MX bikes.
For sponsors where is the draw... they certainly do not get their marketing dollar from the TV coverage we currently have if they are supporting a team that gets 10th to 15th every week.... their sponsor logo or name will never be heard. Local companies would get more sponsoring local riders at local events where their businesses are. I think it is cheaper to put up a booth or banners at every event than it is to sponsor a team, and that's guaranteed TV time.
We may call it Pro racing but until the people that make the show are making a living racing it is just another promoted sporting event with a ton of core riders and racers that love to do it.
Fat Fingers
6/18/2010 2:00pm
Why not come and race in New Zealand and Australia.

Ok so you are not going to make any money in NZ but you will get to see the world, race in different conditions and if you do well, your likely to get noticed.

If you have the talent and are willing to work hard, doors will open. Sometimes you need to take a step to the side before you can go forward.

500guy
6/18/2010 2:06pm
Why not come and race in New Zealand and Australia. Ok so you are not going to make any money in NZ but you will get...

Ok so you are not going to make any money in NZ but you will get to see the world, race in different conditions and if you do well, your likely to get noticed.

If you have the talent and are willing to work hard, doors will open. Sometimes you need to take a step to the side before you can go forward.

Racing over seas is a good option too but many a guy turns it down. I guess because they don't want to be away from home.
Fat Fingers
6/18/2010 2:10pm
Why not come and race in New Zealand and Australia. Ok so you are not going to make any money in NZ but you will get...

500guy wrote:
Racing over seas is a good option too but many a guy turns it down. I guess because they don't want to be away from home.
Well they don't want it bad enough then.

Townley left home at 16 and went off to Europe on his own. He started off on a satelite team and was barely qualifying to race GP's. Look at him now.

The Shop

Rupert X
6/18/2010 2:11pm

" The “privateer” racer, traditionally one without the benefit of a “team” will be recognized and treated
with the utmost care and dignity, (as will all riders), enabling a greater sense of belonging to the riders
that have not always had the opportunity of the fortunate(or more talented) ones. In the spirit of a
more sincere way of identifying the “ True privateer” from the rest, especially when awards are
presented – for the clarification of all – any rider that ever was employed directly by any “factory”
(OEM)team , within the past five (5) years - will NOT be eligible for privateer awards. Additionally,
privateers can only be considered to be eligible, if they are driven (or drive themselves) - vice flown – to
at least seventy-five (75) percent of their events. All professional riders shall be permitted and
accommodated in the assigned professional “pit area” and invited to participate in any press or fanrelated
functions. Additionally, privateers will not be discouraged or forbidden to form a committee- or
union- to protect and advance their causes.

** ALWAYS CONSULT the FIVE-YEAR PLAN - It's got ALL The Answers.

http://www.therupertxshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/American-Profe…
6/18/2010 2:15pm

500guy wrote:
Well they don't want it bad enough then. Townley left home at 16 and went off to Europe on his own. He started off on a...
Well they don't want it bad enough then.

Townley left home at 16 and went off to Europe on his own. He started off on a satelite team and was barely qualifying to race GP's. Look at him now.
Yup, he earned factory equipment, the hard way.

He got it after riding his Vangani KTM on the podium.(that's what i heard)
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
6/18/2010 2:21pm
Arrrgh - I Haaaav been a true Privateer for many years now.

6/18/2010 5:09pm
The whole Privateer and Purse discussion/debate stems not from getting them rich like 12th man on the Lakers who didn't play and made a couple million last night but on them not going broke!.

So many riders "quit" "retire" or only do the rounds close to home because they can't afford to get there, pay to sleep and have a competitive bike.

The sport doesn't celebrate a top 100 number. It disregards even a top 20 Supercross finisher.

"The field" "The privateers" come from our home tracks and the tracks we've visited outside of our region. At every round there are hundreds of people hoping so and so can "make it in" "score a point" or just get some cheers when he comes around.

They know they can't beat Dungey but they train and dream and hustle and give their all that one day they will uncork that start and give themselves a shot at that 9th with an inspired ride.

And many of us "fans" dream like that too.

So the question is how do "we" make it better for the privateer? How does the promoter? How does the track owner?

Would it be too much to ask for temporary military barracks (tents/showers/ light catering at the races for privateers for Fri-Sunday night at the track?

A planned and sanctioned best route from race to race where there were local tracks that would allow camping and practice time for those that have to drive. AMA or MX Sports could pay a few hundred and the track owner could open on a tuesday at chicken licks and invite the locals to watch the pros do a few motos and then ride the lines they created in between pro sessions. This would also allow for autographs sessions and sticker handouts and other promotional stuff that would support sponsors and the series as well.

Pay the Top 40 the same amount. You make it in, you are the show, you share the purse equally. And raise the purses of course.

Find promotional group events for Privateers. Load 'em in a bus and take 'em to the local school to talk to kids about pursuing a dream and give 'em a gas card for their efforts. Or just take 'em out for hot wings in Morgantown.

Make sure that parts are available in the pits to get every bike to the line. And have a mechanical expert on site in case the privateers 20 year old best friend can't redo the clutch fast.

Fat Fingers
6/18/2010 6:33pm
I'm not sure you will ever get the formula right. There will always be have's and have nots. Give 20 privateers a special deal and you will have another 20 privateers who miss out.

I'm guessing theres probably 40-50 spots available for guys on factory or satelite teams 250s and 450s. If you are not in the top 50, you have no chance of making any money.

Compare this to other sports. There are millions of footballers in the world who dream of making it to the big leagues but very few ever make it. I think the odds are much better in motocross and the chance of making it is very real if you have the talent, a bit of luck and are willing to work your ass off.

squid48
6/18/2010 11:18pm
I cant wait for Lakewood next weekend!

Someone I know works over 50 hours a week at a real job and goes riding after work. He is paying for his own everything this year and came close at hangtown to qualifying.

If he qualifies you will know the true definition of privateer.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/19/2010 12:31am
i think Europe used to have the best system, when you qualified for a GP you got a good amount of money, from memory it was 1200 swiss francs, which was about $1000 kiwi at the time (this was in the late 90's) or about $700 US, this was enough at the time to get to the next race, i know some kiwi's at the time survived on this
Coyote
6/19/2010 7:48am
squid48 wrote:
I cant wait for Lakewood next weekend! Someone I know works over 50 hours a week at a real job and goes riding after work. He...
I cant wait for Lakewood next weekend!

Someone I know works over 50 hours a week at a real job and goes riding after work. He is paying for his own everything this year and came close at hangtown to qualifying.

If he qualifies you will know the true definition of privateer.
Speaking of Privateers, Kyle Summers at Lakewood next week!! Natl #71, keep an eye on "Kdawg" for a top ten!!file:///C:/Users/Charles/Desktop/n1432840940_265094_5856903.jpg
squid48
6/19/2010 9:15am
Summers is a good guy. He should do well at home next weekend.

Post a reply to: Lets talk about being a true Privateer.

The Latest