Let's be serious here...

Braap19
I had the chance to ride every major brands 2017 250fs this last week. Except TM. (For reference I am a top 5 B rider at most any AMA race)

Honest opinion after about 25 laps on each bike...

They are all about the same.

Major differences I could feel is the ergonomics, the sound and power delivery. (If anyone has any questions about any bikes specific item like power delivery or turning I'll try to answer)

So my question is, based upon my experience on completely stock suspension on completely stock bikes that are set at the completely stock clicker settings, how are you guys finding differences in the bikes suspension's to nitpick about? I really couldn't find anything to complain about even without changing a single clicker.

All the bikes I did motos on handled about the same, soaked up bumps about the same and did everything the suspension is supposed to do. They all worked flawlessly to my experience.

My average lap times were within a second or two on each bike with exception of being faster on the Kawi 250 by around 3.5 seconds a lap. (I ride kawis lately so I was immediately comfortable on the bike) I was slowest on the Yamaha surprisingly, I could never get comfortable on it, I felt too tall to grab with my knees.

Also I thought the stock Honda sounded the best.

I thought the KTM was the nicest overall packaged bike I rode even though I was not the fastest on it.

I felt the Kawasaki had the best motor package but worst brakes but by so very little that it didn't matter. This is just because I am used to the power delivery, there are other bikes that are faster.

But really, how do you guys find little shit to nitpick about ever bike? Like air shocks vs spring and whatnot. I couldn't tell the difference really if I'm being honest and I don't think most of you can either.

Ask me some questions about them. I don't know what you guys want to know.
|
zehn
10/19/2016 11:59am
Yeah it's not 1986 anymore, all the brands make quality bikes that are fairly equal in performance. Choose your favorite color.
Camp332
10/19/2016 12:07pm
TLDR... Do you even lift?
thorns
10/19/2016 12:09pm
Braap19 wrote:
I had the chance to ride every major brands 2017 250fs this last week. Except TM. (For reference I am a top 5 B rider at...
I had the chance to ride every major brands 2017 250fs this last week. Except TM. (For reference I am a top 5 B rider at most any AMA race)

Major differences I could feel is the ergonomics, the sound and power delivery. (If anyone has any questions about any bikes specific item like power delivery or turning I'll try to answer)

So my question is, based upon my experience on completely stock suspension on completely stock bikes that are set at the completely stock clicker settings, how are you guys finding differences in the bikes suspension's to nitpick about? I really couldn't find anything to complain about even without changing a single clicker.

All the bikes I did motos on handled about the same, soaked up bumps about the same and did everything the suspension is supposed to do. They all worked flawlessly to my experience.

My average lap times were within a second or two on each bike with exception of being faster on the Kawi 250 by around 3.5 seconds a lap. (I ride kawis lately so I was immediately comfortable on the bike) I was slowest on the Yamaha surprisingly, I could never get comfortable on it, I felt too tall to grab with my knees.

I thought the KTM was the nicest overall packaged bike I rode even though I was not the fastest on it.

I felt the Kawasaki had the best motor package but worst brakes but by so very little that it didn't matter. This is just because I am used to the power delivery, there are other bikes that are faster.

But really, how do you guys find little shit to nitpick about ever bike? Like air shocks vs spring and whatnot. I couldn't tell the difference really if I'm being honest and I don't think most of you can either.

What were your thoughts on the RMZ? Always bottom of the shootouts now it seems as its still nearly the same bike as 2011 I think. When riding them all back to back, could you tell it was pretty dated? Or was the motor as bad compared to the new bikes as magazines would have us believe?

(question from someone who hasn't ridden a 250f in 4 years or so)
10/19/2016 12:14pm
Maybe you fit into the average rider weight height set up category?

The Shop

brimx153
10/19/2016 12:17pm
I think racer X has the right idea . They stopped doing shootouts . All the bikes are great ,and what works best for me might be the worse for you. I think price should be considered more than anything else nowadays . If can get a great deal on a new bike any colour ,its the best bike for you imo
Awood
Fantasy
4233rd
10/19/2016 12:18pm
Prime example of why being a good rider doesn't equal being a good test rider. People who can notice and identify all the small things and "nit pick" help people find the bike they will like best.

You want people who can notice low, mid, and high power differences, spring/air forks, small changes in tire pressure, and how it turns. A test rider saying they're all about the same is a useless test rider.
rongi#401
10/19/2016 12:28pm
maybe people that find minute differences are finickey nit picking squids
slowgti
10/19/2016 12:29pm
Click bait hangover from the 80's. I really like the way RacerX does it.
Braap19
10/19/2016 12:29pm
Braap19 wrote:
I had the chance to ride every major brands 2017 250fs this last week. Except TM. (For reference I am a top 5 B rider at...

thorns wrote:
What were your thoughts on the RMZ? Always bottom of the shootouts now it seems as its still nearly the same bike as 2011 I think...
What were your thoughts on the RMZ? Always bottom of the shootouts now it seems as its still nearly the same bike as 2011 I think. When riding them all back to back, could you tell it was pretty dated? Or was the motor as bad compared to the new bikes as magazines would have us believe?

(question from someone who hasn't ridden a 250f in 4 years or so)
The RMZ was the motor I felt was lacking extremely. A Jump I was clearing easily in the bottom of fourth gear on other bikes, I kept coming up short on with the RMZ, lap after lap to the point where I quit jumping it for that moto and just scrubbed and doubled it.

I had the thought it may have been a gearing issue from other bikes and maybe that's why but after riding another bike and riding the RM after, it definitely is lacking in motor. It felt like going from a 250 to a clapped out moped.
Braap19
10/19/2016 12:30pm
Marc_Honda wrote:
Maybe you fit into the average rider weight height set up category?
I'm 6'4" 200, so not really, im tall and heavy
Braap19
10/19/2016 12:36pm
Awood wrote:
Prime example of why being a good rider doesn't equal being a good test rider. People who can notice and identify all the small things and...
Prime example of why being a good rider doesn't equal being a good test rider. People who can notice and identify all the small things and "nit pick" help people find the bike they will like best.

You want people who can notice low, mid, and high power differences, spring/air forks, small changes in tire pressure, and how it turns. A test rider saying they're all about the same is a useless test rider.
Now I can be asinine and tell you about how I dropped or raised the psi in the different tires to gain maximum traction and how I had to ride each bike a little different to keep the front end from diving in corners and how certain bikes had less power in what rpm range. But I was giving the TLDR version of my quick thoughts. If you have a direct question about one specific thing. Please ask me. I'm happy to answer more in depth than what I have been, I didn't think the masses really cared
10/19/2016 12:41pm
Ping says the same thing. But then Kris Keefer seems to think there are pretty dramatic differences and characteristics of the various brands.
10/19/2016 12:49pm
Braap19 wrote:
The RMZ was the motor I felt was lacking extremely. A Jump I was clearing easily in the bottom of fourth gear on other bikes, I...
The RMZ was the motor I felt was lacking extremely. A Jump I was clearing easily in the bottom of fourth gear on other bikes, I kept coming up short on with the RMZ, lap after lap to the point where I quit jumping it for that moto and just scrubbed and doubled it.

I had the thought it may have been a gearing issue from other bikes and maybe that's why but after riding another bike and riding the RM after, it definitely is lacking in motor. It felt like going from a 250 to a clapped out moped.
So one bike was so much slower you couldn't jump something but they all ran the same?

GTFO
10/19/2016 12:50pm
Well I guess the most logical conclusion from that experiment is that most people are idiots.
Braap19
10/19/2016 12:54pm
If I had to rank overall bike, not including my comfort level on them. I would go

KTM
Yamaha
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki

Now if I were to rank them as to how likely I would purchase one, with respect to cost and parts and overall likeability of the bike it would be, for me at least,

Kawasaki
KTM
Honda
Yamaha
Husky
Suzuki

Now if I rank them by motor, overall packaging

Yamaha
KTM
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki
10/19/2016 12:56pm
Braap19 wrote:

got to agree with you regarding the yam my friend has a 16 which I've ridden quite a bit and i really like the motor and the suspension but the bike to me just feels kooky like your perched on top
Braap19
10/19/2016 12:56pm
Braap19 wrote:
The RMZ was the motor I felt was lacking extremely. A Jump I was clearing easily in the bottom of fourth gear on other bikes, I...

So one bike was so much slower you couldn't jump something but they all ran the same?

GTFO
I said about the same, what it lacked in power on sections like that, it made up for it in the turning area.
Braap19
10/19/2016 1:00pm
Braap19 wrote:

fordo-197 wrote:
got to agree with you regarding the yam my friend has a 16 which I've ridden quite a bit and i really like the motor and...
got to agree with you regarding the yam my friend has a 16 which I've ridden quite a bit and i really like the motor and the suspension but the bike to me just feels kooky like your perched on top
I wholeheartedly agree, the motor is a rocket on the Yamaha all the way through. It just keeps pulling. And I felt it cornered well also. I just didn't feel at home on it like the other bikes.
10/19/2016 1:01pm
Braap19 wrote:
If I had to rank overall bike, not including my comfort level on them. I would go KTM Yamaha Husky Kawasaki Honda Suzuki Now if I...
If I had to rank overall bike, not including my comfort level on them. I would go

KTM
Yamaha
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki

Now if I were to rank them as to how likely I would purchase one, with respect to cost and parts and overall likeability of the bike it would be, for me at least,

Kawasaki
KTM
Honda
Yamaha
Husky
Suzuki

Yamaha
KTM
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki
not digging the zook! to be fair to it you can pick them up for less than 5k in the uk at the minute which is a full 2k cheaper than a 17 ktm/husky, still never see any late model ones out there.
10/19/2016 1:02pm
Braap19 wrote:
If I had to rank overall bike, not including my comfort level on them. I would go KTM Yamaha Husky Kawasaki Honda Suzuki Now if I...

KTM
Yamaha
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki

Kawasaki
KTM
Honda
Yamaha
Husky
Suzuki

Yamaha
KTM
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki
So the Kawasaki " had the best motor package " but you rank it 4th in motor category? Mmm SidewaysSidewaysSideways
10/19/2016 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2016 1:08pm
Braap19 wrote:

GTFO
Braap19 wrote:
I said about the same, what it lacked in power on sections like that, it made up for it in the turning area.
dude, if you have to ride a section of the track differently because of lack of power, that is what test riders would consider a major difference. I don't think saying that the Suzuki is majorly lacking in power delivery because it was the only bike you couldn't jump a section on is nit picking at all. That would be a valid observation.

As for air fork vs spring, I think the big argument against them has been that the air fork is just harder to keep consistent over a long period of time. It's not that they feel horrible when set correctly, its that the air pressure in the fork is constantly changing from heat and has to be bled or added to for it to maintain a consistent feel over multiple rides.
Braap19
10/19/2016 1:08pm
Braap19 wrote:

KTM
Yamaha
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki

Kawasaki
KTM
Honda
Yamaha
Husky
Suzuki

Yamaha
KTM
Husky
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki
mototed82 wrote:
So the Kawasaki " had the best motor package " but you rank it 4th in motor category? Mmm SidewaysSidewaysSideways
I liked the motor on the Kawasaki better personally because of the way it hit and I'm comfortable with that motor but I still know the other three bikes were certainly faster.

I should change my wording to the motor I was most comfortable with.
10/19/2016 1:12pm
To be clear, I do agree that the average guy would be fine with any of the bikes. I was just posting earlier to answer your question about finding things to nit pick when it seams that you have named numerous things you nit picked between each bike.

I also need to give you props for riding 150 laps. That shit is impressive. My out of shape ass struggles with 20 minute practice motos.
WRH
10/19/2016 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2016 1:15pm
If I were to buy brand new.. a 2015 KX450F for 5899. or a 2016 KTM250sx for 6099. Which one do I get? 57 Y.O. at 240lbs. It will be use to ride and use for exercise to further reduce my weight. And just roost around.
kkawboy14
10/19/2016 1:16pm
If I'm 3.5 seconds faster on a bike, that's the bike for me. That's a big differance
10/19/2016 1:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
If I'm 3.5 seconds faster on a bike, that's the bike for me. That's a big differance
he did say say he was familiar with the kawi, if i ever jump on a different bike to what i own i always ride like a squid so 3.5 seconds sounds reasonable to me
mjr119
10/19/2016 1:24pm
WRH wrote:
If I were to buy brand new.. a 2015 KX450F for 5899. or a 2016 KTM250sx for 6099. Which one do I get? 57 Y.O. at...
If I were to buy brand new.. a 2015 KX450F for 5899. or a 2016 KTM250sx for 6099. Which one do I get? 57 Y.O. at 240lbs. It will be use to ride and use for exercise to further reduce my weight. And just roost around.
You can find a 16 kx450 for that price.
10/19/2016 1:35pm
Braap19 wrote:

GTFO
Braap19 wrote:
Then why didn't you corner that RMZ fucker so hard that you could carry enough speed to clear the triple?

That would be EVEN in my book.
Braap19
10/19/2016 1:38pm

GTFO
Braap19 wrote:
Then why didn't you corner that RMZ fucker so hard that you could carry enough speed to clear the triple? That would be EVEN in my...
Then why didn't you corner that RMZ fucker so hard that you could carry enough speed to clear the triple?

That would be EVEN in my book.
I just wasn't used to it, when I raced a Suzuki in 2012 for a while, I really liked the bike and could rail a corner. If I was used to the bike I would have been able to use the cornering to make up for lack of motor. But I wasn't so the motor lacking really showed there

Post a reply to: Let's be serious here...

The Latest