TBT racing/Corona CA

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
Edited Date/Time 3/24/2016 11:24am
Almost three months ago, i sent some fork tubes to TBT racing in Corona CA. Now let me be clear, I do not believe that my experience has anything to do with the other franchises that are across the country. Just the location in southern CA. I sent my fork tubes to get a Tin coating roughly three months ago. I was told by Travis the owner that it would take two weeks to get it done by the company he uses back east. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and figured in my own mind.....this will take me about a month. I still have plenty of time to get ready and hit the mammoth qualifiers and do the only one race i really care about doing anymore. Two weeks go by, and starts the first of many many many frustrating calls to TBT. Of course every time i call I get different people on the phone, "should be any day bro" call you as soon as we know bro!

Almost a month goes by and i get everything from "any day" to Im waiting to hear back from the coating company.......to "Im not sure where your stuff is man?" ............Not sure where my stuff is!? I eventually persuade one of the young men into giving me the number of the coating company to see where my fork tubes are seeing as for weeks according to TBT they are not getting back to us. I call the lady at the coating company and explain the situation. She is very nice and tells me, they were sent ground from east coast back to the west coast because "they were not in coating condition" I said coating condition? These parts were brand new. After further digging, she says, the lugs were still attached. What?! These guys were pro's, they had told me the lug removal was no problem, surly this couldn't be right. She also tells me at this point tracking shows they were back in CA over a week ago. Ok i tell her, im going to see whats going on with these guys, but i just get more....not sure, Travis is testing, someone will get back to you. Never happens. After tons and tons of hounding the forks a week later get sent back to the east coast for coating. I stay in touch with the people at the coating company and they let me know exactly when the tubes are done. A couple days go by and i ask the coating company if the tubes have been shipped? They tell me that they have been trying to get a credit card number from TBT........He does not have an account with you guys? weird. Some more calls to TBT i finally get someone to tell me they are handling it, and i should see my stuff soon.

Three days later I finally get someone from TBT who tells me that my tubes are there and "they look bitchin". They then ask me for my credit card number and tell me they are charging me just "cost" on the coatings, I say great, thank you, and start looking forward to seeing my stuff soon. Almost five more days go by with me now getting excuses like,.....we are just waiting for a seal to come in for one of the lugs....to.......your lugs were in not good enough to ano. My shit was brand new!!!! I tell the guy, you have my stuff mixed up with someone elses!

Finally after getting ahold of Travis, he says " Your lugs got damaged when we removed them so i had to order new ones." He assured he would have it resolved, and tom me in a day or so. Two more days go by........I call down there and talk to one of his workers who tells me that they are finished and i only owe another $261......for what?! I ask,.....let me call Travis, I tell him.....No, I will call him. I call Travis and he tells me i need to pay for the new fork lugs.........You mean the ones you damaged taking off?!!!!!!! Yes, he says, sometimes that happens. Then he goes onto to tell me how this has been a big inconvienence for him, and next time i can just call the coating company and deal with it myself!!!! I can't believe what im hearing!? I say. I had to make a quick decision, this asshole has had my stuff for just shy of three months and now is holding my shit ransom untill i pay for parts he fucked up removing. To add insult to injury, i find out through a couple of people in the "know" The pricing he charged me for the coatings appear to be for more than one set! He had a batch done....and the receipt is from the coating company directly.....He used my credit card to pay the coating company!!!! Illegal as shit!!! This was the first time in almost 20yrs that i went outside someone i was directly connected too to have work done.....and it may have been my last. Bummer deal.

Take what you will from this from me.....before you do business with TBT!!!!!!!

Travis.
|
Crush
3/20/2016 10:07pm
Wow. That's fucking shady.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/20/2016 10:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2016 10:12pm
Damn that sucks, I would ask why you didn't just get anodizing from a local reputable coating company but I assume it is because you had to have the lugs/etc removed professionally?
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
3/20/2016 10:23pm
seth505 wrote:
Damn that sucks, I would ask why you didn't just get anodizing from a local reputable coating company but I assume it is because you had...
Damn that sucks, I would ask why you didn't just get anodizing from a local reputable coating company but I assume it is because you had to have the lugs/etc removed professionally?
The lower fork tubes were to be titanium nitrate coated....a blue color.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
3/20/2016 10:33pm
That blows. I know I have had talks with johnathon from
TBT but he is in Arizona I believe. About doing my 4cs to sss conversion and he has been great

The Shop

3/20/2016 10:38pm
Dispute the credit card charge, then go see a lawyer. Using your card to pay for a batch of coatings for his company is the same as stealing your card and using it for personal expense. He handled your credit card illegally basically, and you will absolutely win in court.
Crush
3/20/2016 10:56pm
Dispute the credit card charge, then go see a lawyer. Using your card to pay for a batch of coatings for his company is the same...
Dispute the credit card charge, then go see a lawyer. Using your card to pay for a batch of coatings for his company is the same as stealing your card and using it for personal expense. He handled your credit card illegally basically, and you will absolutely win in court.
Yep.
3/21/2016 1:35am
Between my home and bike stuff these shady encounters are way too common nowadays. Not sure where society is headed but I know it's not up.
So many companies make stuff that is suppose to be fun, just miserable.
Bummer For you for sure.

Ghost
toomey706
3/21/2016 2:56am
Dispute the credit card charge, then go see a lawyer. Using your card to pay for a batch of coatings for his company is the same...
My attorney charges me $300 to sign a letter. Legal across state lines is uncertain at best.
Insider347
3/21/2016 3:32am
toomey706 wrote:
My attorney charges me $300 to sign a letter. Legal across state lines is uncertain at best.
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet to make a point. A good lawyer will tell you if you got something to pursue.

That's bad business , sorry to hear.
Olson
3/21/2016 4:08am
That blows. Is this a franchise or just a single shop out i California?
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
3/21/2016 6:07am
Olson wrote:
That blows. Is this a franchise or just a single shop out i California?
He is a franchise now. This all took place right out of his shop in southern California.
swtwtwtw
3/21/2016 6:10am
If you do not do this.......I don't know what to say :-(
Bruce372
3/21/2016 6:21am
Do you have your parts back and how much did you end up spending?
Olson
3/21/2016 6:22am
He is a franchise now. This all took place right out of his shop in southern California.
So he's not the original owner of the product/service? Take it through the organization, there should be by-laws and guidelines on how the franchices represents the "brand".
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
3/21/2016 6:24am
This has been done.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
3/21/2016 6:26am
Olson wrote:
So he's not the original owner of the product/service? Take it through the organization, there should be by-laws and guidelines on how the franchices represents the...
So he's not the original owner of the product/service? Take it through the organization, there should be by-laws and guidelines on how the franchices represents the "brand".
He has franchises in other states now. This was through Travis the owner in southern California. He is the original founder.
newmann
3/21/2016 6:28am
Hiring an attorney to go after a guy who doesn't have enough money to coat a set of fork legs probably wouldn't be a smart deal. Disputing your credit card charges won't cost you anything but some time.

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
3/21/2016 6:29am
Bruce372 wrote:
A little more than we originally agreed upon.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
3/21/2016 6:32am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2016 11:06am
newmann wrote:
Hiring an attorney to go after a guy who doesn't have enough money to coat a set of fork legs probably wouldn't be a smart deal...
Hiring an attorney to go after a guy who doesn't have enough money to coat a set of fork legs probably wouldn't be a smart deal. Disputing your credit card charges won't cost you anything but some time.

As screwed up as this got, I think he figured he wouldn't owe me any money if the credit card was paid to someone else. Crazy.
mxb2
3/21/2016 6:36am
newmann wrote:
Hiring an attorney to go after a guy who doesn't have enough money to coat a set of fork legs probably wouldn't be a smart deal...

As screwed up as this got, I think he figured he wouldn't owe me any money if the credit card was paid to someone else. Crazy.
Is this your project yzf?
Trav138
3/21/2016 6:37am
Bummer deal for sure
Hindsight is what it is but they jerked you around for a long time, when the coating co shipped them back initially with the fork lugs on I would of grabbed my parts and found someone else. The writing was on the wall
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
3/21/2016 6:38am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2016 6:44am
newmann wrote:

Small claims - no lawyer needed - cheap to file.
He can also sue them for the court costs/filing fees I believe in some States.

He also needs to file a complaint at http://www.bbb.org first and see if he can resolve it that way.
Bruce372
3/21/2016 6:42am
Bruce372 wrote:
A little more than we originally agreed upon.
Well I am glad you got your stuff back. Sometimes things don't go to plan, yeah dispute the charge and then move on. But let's also hope the shop owner learns from this also. I am sure this shit fest wasn't his intention either.
3/21/2016 7:19am
To be clear, removing kyb lugs is a nightmare sometimes.

There are a few tricks, but even still there isnt a 100 percent sucess rate. Enzo, who does a lot of these, has it down to a science and They still dont garuntee removal (and they usually they have lightly used take offs from team work they can install if something goes wrong)

What you are dealing with is a company that ia trying to please your needs when you called who got further into the "rabbit" hole than they realized.

I had to machine an incredibly bad ass jig that properly clamps and holds the upper chrome tube, so with time and material that tool is 400 bucks, and it requires perfect execution of milling out the set screw and mushroomed threads it creates without punching through the chrome leg (lately the assembly people on oem forks have been eating wheeites and tightening set screw so much it mushrooms the threads on the chrome leg.. Meaning it ruins the lug even if set screw removed without perfect milling)

Im not affiliated with tbt... But frankly i will never do another coated set again for cheap. Some forks its easy as cake... Some its horrificly frustrating
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/21/2016 7:22am
To be clear, removing kyb lugs is a nightmare sometimes. There are a few tricks, but even still there isnt a 100 percent sucess rate. Enzo...
To be clear, removing kyb lugs is a nightmare sometimes.

There are a few tricks, but even still there isnt a 100 percent sucess rate. Enzo, who does a lot of these, has it down to a science and They still dont garuntee removal (and they usually they have lightly used take offs from team work they can install if something goes wrong)

What you are dealing with is a company that ia trying to please your needs when you called who got further into the "rabbit" hole than they realized.

I had to machine an incredibly bad ass jig that properly clamps and holds the upper chrome tube, so with time and material that tool is 400 bucks, and it requires perfect execution of milling out the set screw and mushroomed threads it creates without punching through the chrome leg (lately the assembly people on oem forks have been eating wheeites and tightening set screw so much it mushrooms the threads on the chrome leg.. Meaning it ruins the lug even if set screw removed without perfect milling)

Im not affiliated with tbt... But frankly i will never do another coated set again for cheap. Some forks its easy as cake... Some its horrificly frustrating
During my time at Enzo I removed about 50 sets or so without a problem. Ross definetely has it dialed.
3/21/2016 7:53am
Sounds like good ole tbt from I mean feld wa state way back in 02 I went to pick up my forks for a revalve from them. Brand new shit and Travis himself comes out holding them and proceeds to let them slide down to the floor and go clunk. I'm like shit dude don't Crack them when I got home there was 3 flat notches in my fork lug on the left side that were no there I was pissed never again I see tbt stickers and go damn I feel sorry for you been jacked.
Mini Elsinore
3/21/2016 7:53am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2016 7:54am
Contact the Consumer Affairs & Fraud Division with the California Attorney General's office. They have a SoCal office and they like to kick scrotums.....
3/21/2016 8:49am
toomey706 wrote:
I thought this was over a few thousand bucks? Obviously if it's a few hundred bucks then a credit card dispute is fine, but I'd at least THREATEN to get a lawyer and see if some of the bill gets eaten by the idiot who screwed up the po's forks.

Post a reply to: TBT racing/Corona CA

The Latest