Leatt Prevails!

Potts
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2014 11:28am
Doc Bodner was an expert witness on Leatt's behalf!

After trial the Scarvelli jury foreman said to Dr. Leatt: "Thank you for inventing the neck brace. You're saving people's lives."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/leatt-corp-prevails-ohio-lawsuit-13280098…
|
hvaughn88
4/24/2014 3:14pm
I'm not looking forward to the shitstorm and/or "experts" that come out of the woodworks to offer their opinions (both for and against) on this subject
Torco1
4/24/2014 4:52pm
Unfortunately, emotions usually take charge in situations like this and family members of the injured are so upset and heartbroken for their kid or dad or whomever it was that was injured. It's hard not to try and find someone else to blame and hold responsible, I just don't think it's the right way to go about it. Unless of course there was a blatant product failure or something undeniable caused the injury.
Daystar99
4/24/2014 5:29pm
Torco1 wrote:
Unfortunately, emotions usually take charge in situations like this and family members of the injured are so upset and heartbroken for their kid or dad or...
Unfortunately, emotions usually take charge in situations like this and family members of the injured are so upset and heartbroken for their kid or dad or whomever it was that was injured. It's hard not to try and find someone else to blame and hold responsible, I just don't think it's the right way to go about it. Unless of course there was a blatant product failure or something undeniable caused the injury.
Until you've been in a product liability lawsuit you probably wouldn't believe how screwed up the tort system is in this country. If someone is guilty of gross negligence in the design or manufacture of a product of course a lawsuit is appropriate. Now, however, regardless of the circumstances, if something tragic happens the injured person instantly assumes they're owed millions of dollars and has no problem finding a trial lawyer willing to extort that money from whoever has money and is convenient. If you wonder why a Leatt brace is so expensive this is one reason - they easily spent mid-six figures on that lawsuit. It almost isn't possible to exaggerate how sick, twisted, and dishonest the situation is. Good for Leatt for fighting and for Doc Bodner for standing up for them. End rant - I feel much better now. SmileSmileSmile
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/24/2014 6:04pm
didn't know Jason Weigant was also a lawyer!

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
4/24/2014 6:30pm
I quit wearing mine after 5 years or so with it on. My form and style are exponentially better and I don't pump up anymore. I can now shift my hips further back and bend my neck to see up, which I couldn't before. I feel more controlled and responsive on the bike with it off. I will never tell anyone which way to go...... But I personally do not wear one anymore.
JM485
4/24/2014 7:28pm
Torco1 wrote:
Unfortunately, emotions usually take charge in situations like this and family members of the injured are so upset and heartbroken for their kid or dad or...
I have to agree with this. It has to be incredibly hard on the family, but bringing this to court seems a little extreme. This sadly is probably part of the reason new safety devices may never come to market, it only takes one freak accident or misplaced blame for someone to lose everything. I would hate to see a company like Leatt go under because of something like this, could cost us a lot of injuries or even lives in the future.
tk568
4/24/2014 7:36pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I quit wearing mine after 5 years or so with it on. My form and style are exponentially better and I don't pump up anymore. I...
I quit wearing mine after 5 years or so with it on. My form and style are exponentially better and I don't pump up anymore. I can now shift my hips further back and bend my neck to see up, which I couldn't before. I feel more controlled and responsive on the bike with it off. I will never tell anyone which way to go...... But I personally do not wear one anymore.
i did the same and noticed the difference in my riding immediatly.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/24/2014 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2014 7:43pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I quit wearing mine after 5 years or so with it on. My form and style are exponentially better and I don't pump up anymore. I...
Whatup Ryno :p
4stroke4DWIN
4/24/2014 9:03pm
MxKing809 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Lol no shit.

I wear one and have ridden a few times without and couldn't tell a difference either way. I just don't get the argument about it being restrictive.
AS64
Fantasy
2156th
4/24/2014 9:07pm
I have also stopped wearing my neck brace. Not that that matters.
JM485
4/24/2014 9:31pm
MxKing809 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Lol no shit. I wear one and have ridden a few times without and couldn't tell a difference either way. I just don't get the argument...
Lol no shit.

I wear one and have ridden a few times without and couldn't tell a difference either way. I just don't get the argument about it being restrictive.
I honestly don't have an issue with people choosing to not wear them, it's their choice and I respect that. I think the issue arises when people read one thing on the internet and start spouting off how they are sure neck braces will kill you, will do more harm than good, and other crap like that with absolutely no evidence to back it up. You don't want to wear one, fine, but I never understood why people feel the need to try and sway others with opinion alone.
4/24/2014 9:59pm
I thought Ryno made some good points to Matthes on that podcast about it.

I tend to agree, when you load something up it's gonna break, all those are doing is shifting the load and the breaking point. I suppose depending on the crash you may be better off with it in some cases and without it in others. Who knows...
JeepnMike
4/24/2014 10:19pm
I have made the RC car reference before on this subject, some here will get it, some will call me a moran. The folks that engineer the RC cars aren't total idiots... You beef up a part, all you are doing is moving your point of failure. I am an engineer, not a doctor, but the argument against neck braces shouldn't be insulted or fall on deaf ears.
MXGooner
4/24/2014 10:20pm
I thought Ryno made some good points to Matthes on that podcast about it. I tend to agree, when you load something up it's gonna break...
I thought Ryno made some good points to Matthes on that podcast about it.

I tend to agree, when you load something up it's gonna break, all those are doing is shifting the load and the breaking point. I suppose depending on the crash you may be better off with it in some cases and without it in others. Who knows...
x2 i had a scary endo yrs ago. As crazy as Ryno seems, he made alot of sense. and the bear trap, tuck and roll theory made alot of sense
i took mine off
MX45
4/24/2014 10:48pm
I can't believe we live in a world where someone thinks it's ok to sue when they wear a piece of optional safety equipment, and it performs as designed.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
4/24/2014 11:09pm
MX45 wrote:
I can't believe we live in a world where someone thinks it's ok to sue when they wear a piece of optional safety equipment, and it...
I can't believe we live in a world where someone thinks it's ok to sue when they wear a piece of optional safety equipment, and it performs as designed.
AMEN to that!!!
Fearo
4/25/2014 1:20am
I can't believe we live in a world where people have no shame in saying that all neck braces are doing is moving the point of failure and that "something has to break". Do you people even understand the basic anatomy of the human body?

Do you know how many different directional forces a neck is susceptible to in a crash compared to an upper back (= the alternative load path)?

I swear to god, if someone tells me that they believe in the "tuck and roll" theory again, this will be my reaction:

hvaughn88
4/25/2014 4:24am
Just checking in to see if this is going how I thought it would...and it is.
mx836
4/25/2014 4:42am
Fearo wrote:
I can't believe we live in a world where people have no shame in saying that all neck braces are doing is moving the point of...
I can't believe we live in a world where people have no shame in saying that all neck braces are doing is moving the point of failure and that "something has to break". Do you people even understand the basic anatomy of the human body?

Do you know how many different directional forces a neck is susceptible to in a crash compared to an upper back (= the alternative load path)?

I swear to god, if someone tells me that they believe in the "tuck and roll" theory again, this will be my reaction:

I believe.....now jump.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
4/25/2014 4:49am
Wow. Those press releases disguised as news reports always bother me.

H
Racer92
4/25/2014 5:47am
Dirt bikes are dangerous and may kill you.

Anything else?
4/25/2014 6:17am
Daystar99 wrote:
Until you've been in a product liability lawsuit you probably wouldn't believe how screwed up the tort system is in this country. If someone is guilty...
Until you've been in a product liability lawsuit you probably wouldn't believe how screwed up the tort system is in this country. If someone is guilty of gross negligence in the design or manufacture of a product of course a lawsuit is appropriate. Now, however, regardless of the circumstances, if something tragic happens the injured person instantly assumes they're owed millions of dollars and has no problem finding a trial lawyer willing to extort that money from whoever has money and is convenient. If you wonder why a Leatt brace is so expensive this is one reason - they easily spent mid-six figures on that lawsuit. It almost isn't possible to exaggerate how sick, twisted, and dishonest the situation is. Good for Leatt for fighting and for Doc Bodner for standing up for them. End rant - I feel much better now. SmileSmileSmile
I used to have a problem with the civil court system the same way I had a problem with politicians. Then I realized that terrible politicians and gigantic unreasonable jury awards are simply a reflection of the people in the voting booth and in the jury box.
MX690
4/25/2014 6:18am
Yep my thoughts exactly, apparently we would have about 100 people from Vital alone that would be in a wheel chair if they weren't wearing a neck brace.
Fearo
4/25/2014 6:20am
Fearo wrote:
I can't believe we live in a world where people have no shame in saying that all neck braces are doing is moving the point of...

mx836 wrote:
I believe.....now jump.
rcannon
4/25/2014 6:20am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2014 6:22am
JeepnMike wrote:
I have made the RC car reference before on this subject, some here will get it, some will call me a moran. The folks that engineer...
I have made the RC car reference before on this subject, some here will get it, some will call me a moran. The folks that engineer the RC cars aren't total idiots... You beef up a part, all you are doing is moving your point of failure. I am an engineer, not a doctor, but the argument against neck braces shouldn't be insulted or fall on deaf ears.
That rc car reference makes sense. I remember breaking parts, on the back of the car, after fitting super strong a arms, shock towers, and rod ends. Beef those up and the chassis would snap in half....Strengthen that, then you were back up front again...

We finally made some really strong stuff, all around, that would handle this one specific crash I kept having. Finally, the car woudl hit hard, and spring back violently.....It really needed an airbag type absorber...Stronger parts were not as helpful as a foam front bumper.

I actually had some sort of rc car part installed in my neck...Titanium claw looking thing with grabber screws. I believe they were drywall grade, but more expensive...
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/25/2014 7:04am
Yup, you're component is as strong as the weakest link in the engineering world...but we wear helmets/boots/etc

I think the neck brace stuff is similar to argument on knee braces and whether or not they can cause you to break your femur too easily. It's the old toss of the coin, do you want to chance a broken bone or a torn up knee.
4/25/2014 7:11am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2014 7:18am
USA the most sue happy country around!!
Y'all should adopt our policy where Tim and Sherri Scarvelli would have to pay Leatt's legal costs.
What is the matter with people sueing over this $hit !!

And yes thats me in my profile pic
JM485
4/25/2014 7:11am
I will agree that people jump to that conclusion a little to quickly sometimes, but I think you might be oversimplifying it a bit.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
4/25/2014 7:15am
It's kind of like my neighbor that was in a car wreck years ago and was thrown from the car. The doctor told her she would have been killed if she had been wearing the seat belt and wasn't thrown from the car.

She took that as gospel and now her entire family refuses to wear a seatbelt.

Well, a few weeks ago her husband was in a car wreck, without his seatbelt, and they don't know if he will wake up from his coma or not.

But hey, he would be dead for sure if he had that seatbelt on...

Post a reply to: Leatt Prevails!

The Latest