Leather in moto pants

Edited Date/Time 3/21/2014 12:30pm
is there a trick to keeping them soft... mine always turn hard and crack and tear... any ideas?
|
steveada
3/21/2014 10:28am
Don't dry them in the dryer, hang them up. After drying, you can put some saddle soap or vegetable oil on the leather. That will help it to last much longer.
peelout
3/21/2014 10:43am
steveada wrote:
Don't dry them in the dryer, hang them up. After drying, you can put some saddle soap or vegetable oil on the leather. That will help...
Don't dry them in the dryer, hang them up. After drying, you can put some saddle soap or vegetable oil on the leather. That will help it to last much longer.
aint nobody got time for that
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
3/21/2014 10:44am
Rub them on the pipe after riding. They'll soften up.

The Shop

peelout
3/21/2014 11:20am
do you even 4-stroke bro?

mid pipe
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
3/21/2014 11:49am
steveada wrote:
Don't dry them in the dryer, hang them up. After drying, you can put some saddle soap or vegetable oil on the leather. That will help...
peelout wrote:
aint nobody got time for that
The first step in leather care is cleaning the hide. Great care needs to be taken in order to gently clean these leather surfaces. It is best to use a very mild soap mixed with warm water. You can use a very diluted mixture of Simple Green multi purpose cleaner. I would suggest mixing one ounce with ten to twelve cups of water. The first thing to do is get a clean soft terry cloth towel. Dunk the towel into your cleaning mixture and wring it out. From here wipe down the seat using gentle pressure. Be careful not to “scrub” the leather. Always use a small spot in out of the way area as a test spot. mx leather is surface dyed and you don’t want to remove any of it. Rub out the seat and make sure it is kept evenly damp throughout the process. Rinse out your towel several times as you do each section of the uniform.

Removing the Cleaning Solution from Leather

The next step is to fully remove the cleaning solution. First, towel dry the mx uniform to remove the cleaning mixture from the leather. Now using a towel dampened with clean water, gently wipe down all the leather. This will remove the soap residue from the leather. This step needs to be done at least two times. Next, wipe the mx uniform completely dry with another clean soft terry cloth towel, being certain to rub very gently.

Conditioning Leathers

Next, we come to the leather conditioning step. There are several good leather conditioners on the market. Some of the best brands are Connelly Hide Food, Meguiars Leather Conditioner and Lexol. The key thing is not to use too much of the product. Apply the leather conditioner with a clean, soft sponge,not one with a scrubbing side! Soak the sponge with the conditioner and apply it to the mx stuff evenly. Work on one set of leathers at a time. The best thing to do is to apply the product and let it soak into the leather for a few minutes. Next, take a soft clean cloth and rub off all of the excess conditioner. This creates a beautiful mat finish that is not slippery. If the leather is a little hard or rough, apply a second coat. Keep in mind that all leather develops wrinkles. The important thing is to keep the leather soft so the wrinkles don’t eventually turn into cracks.

Overall, it is a good idea to clean and condition your leathers two times a year. The conditioner wears off over time and is also affected by heat, UV exposure and oils from human skin. If your mx uniform don’t appear soiled, you can skip the cleaning steps. This is especially true with fancy mx uniforms that don’t see much use other than those special weekend drives. So, keep it clean and keep it soft.

The real key to leather maintenance.

The real key is to be consistent. A lot of owners get caught up in buying all the right brands of cleaners and conditioners when they first buy their mx uniform, but give up on their cleaning routine after the first year. Truly, soapy water is enough to clean the stuff. And any brand of conditioner will keep the stuff soft. You don’t have to be obsessive about cleaning and conditioning every square inch. mx leathers will be the dirtiest, and the rest of the stuff can be cleaned quite quickly. With practice, you should be able to condition the entire uniform in less than 10 minutes.
mxrider28
3/21/2014 12:14pm
I had the same problem which resulted in holes. Just get some leather lotion and rub it on the leather. No more holes.
3/21/2014 12:24pm
machine wash , soon as you get them out hang them up spray the leather part with WD40 let dry over night. been doing it for years. I even spray my boots after I clean them at the car wash. never had a problem and the leather stays soft.
enketchum
3/21/2014 12:30pm
I never tumble dry any of my gear. Most of the jerseys we wear should come out of the washing machine dry, anyway

Post a reply to: Leather in moto pants

The Latest