Lasik, mono vision and riding

sclark309d
Fantasy
1944th
Edited Date/Time 2/5/2015 9:19pm
a question to those of you who have had Lasik...I'm in my late 50s. My eyes (along with other stuff) have degraded to the point where I can't see well in low light. That makes woods riding, and even racing a track on an overcast day a bit sketchy.

I can see well hglasses, but they pose their own problems here in the Pacific Northwest, where it's often rainy.

I've looked into Lasik, and am apparently a good candidate. One provider set me up with simulated mono vision, which is where one eye is adjusted for distance, and the other for close up, using contacts. For every day life, this seems to be a good option for me when getting the Lasik done, ie get one eye corrected for distance, and the other for close up.

The thing I am concerned about is depth perception when riding.

My "glory days" are behind me....there are no big purses or factory rides in my future, but I am thinking about safety.

My question, especially to those of you who have had Lasik, and especially those who had the mono-vision option, is how it affected your riding.

I'm guessing in my case it won't be a big issue, but I am interested in your thoughts before I get my eyes cut on.

Thanks in advance
Steve
|
gharmon
2/4/2015 8:58am
I don't know if this relates toy our situation at all. I haven't had lasik done yet (I too am exploring the option) but I do wear mono vision eye contacts. I like it just fine and works fine for me while riding. It doesn't affect my depth perception at all. Well, none that I am aware of. I don't ride woods (but I am definitely looking into it) so I cant answer for that. No issues at all on the track. Good Luck.

I hope I'm riding in my late 50's my friend. I'm thinking in order for me to do it I'll have to convert to woods riding. This moto stuff keeps me to broken up.
2/4/2015 9:41am
I had lasik with mono vision nine years ago when I thought I might be off to Iraq. Best $2500 I ever spent. No issues, but the mono vision side didn't last but a couple years. All you can do is find out if you're a good candidate for lasik and if you are - do it.
gharmon
2/4/2015 9:47am
I had lasik with mono vision nine years ago when I thought I might be off to Iraq. Best $2500 I ever spent. No issues, but...
I had lasik with mono vision nine years ago when I thought I might be off to Iraq. Best $2500 I ever spent. No issues, but the mono vision side didn't last but a couple years. All you can do is find out if you're a good candidate for lasik and if you are - do it.
So what do you do now? Just use reading glasses? Or did you have it done again after those 2 years?
MBR
2/4/2015 10:00am
I had lasik done five years ago and they recommend to leave it a little on minus side as preparation for "age vision". However I asked the doctor to go for the best possible vision for the moment and not plan for the future as techniques will advance all the time. Although I lost a bit of ability to see in dark, it's definitely has been the best 5000 dollars (the prices here in Finland are higher) I spend.

The Shop

Xracerdone
2/4/2015 10:07am
My wife wore monovision contacts for years & had lasik about 3 months ago with mono & she is still struggling with depth perception, not horribly but she says it's there. All I know is she better not crash my boat into the dock this summer....
Tracktor
2/4/2015 10:57am
I had lasik 10 or so years ago but not the mono vision. Worth every penny........................
Eddie_E
2/4/2015 11:26am
I had Lasik with mono-vision 5 years ago and I couldn't deal with it. It always felt blurry in one eye like when you have one contact in and one out. I had to have a second PRK procedure done on the top surface of my eye because the doc said he couldn't peel the flap up again cleanly after it had been healing for 6 months. The second procedure hurt even worse than the first and took twice as long to heal. I eventually was happy with the end result, but it wasn't easy getting there. I got the second procedure for free though, because I told the doc up front that I did NOT want mono-vision and he did a little anyways.

My night vision got worse and didn't really clear until almost 4 years out. Yellow or amber-orange glasses helped some.
The only benefit to mono-vision is being able to read the fine print on your phone bill and I don't mind if I have to wear $2 reading glasses once a month for 2 minutes.

Contacts are the way to go if you want truly sharp vision, especially at night.
Not all contacts work for MX though. Silicon-hydrogels are the big buzz the last 10 years because they are super soft and comfy when you first put them in. They SUCK for MX though because they have too high a water content and dry out while riding. They also get sticky on the inside and trap dust in a way that can't be rinsed while in your eye. The optical quality is also crap compared to a good lens. Cheap disposables also suck, but for a different reason. They are just rough and scratchy with hard edges.
The ones that were by far the best were Cooper Preference lenses. They were super sharp even in a high prescription, they hold a decent amount of moisture without drying out on a dusty track and stay comfortable all day. They also can be easily rinsed clean with saline or moisturizing drops on the side of a trail if needed.
2/4/2015 3:25pm
I had lasik with mono vision nine years ago when I thought I might be off to Iraq. Best $2500 I ever spent. No issues, but...
gharmon wrote:
So what do you do now? Just use reading glasses? Or did you have it done again after those 2 years?
Yep, reading glasses to go along with the gray in my beard. I'm quite a site these days.
Spartacus
2/4/2015 3:52pm
I've been thinking about the same lasik/mono procedure. I've been trying it out mono with contacts but it's been a PITA. So much so that I've not had them in enough to see if my brain adjusts to it. When they're in, close is fine and distance is fine but the midrange is still "off". Depth perception doesn't seem to be a problem though.

gharmon
2/4/2015 5:23pm
gharmon wrote:
Yep, reading glasses to go along with the gray in my beard. I'm quite a site these days.
I'm 43 now and I plenty of gray in my beard now and starting to get some grays in my head as well. Actually, quite a few of them!! LOL. If not for this last wreck that left me all tore up I would say minus the grays I pretty damn skippy!!
SEE ARE125
2/4/2015 7:18pm
What is mono vision? My wife is looking into lasik because she's over her contacts. I might get it too on my one bad eye. Went for glasses and after a ton of vision tests, the optometrist told me not to worry about it because the good eye will compensate for the bad eye, but I'd rather have both eyes working.
sclark309d
Fantasy
1944th
2/4/2015 7:31pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
What is mono vision? My wife is looking into lasik because she's over her contacts. I might get it too on my one bad eye. Went...
What is mono vision? My wife is looking into lasik because she's over her contacts. I might get it too on my one bad eye. Went for glasses and after a ton of vision tests, the optometrist told me not to worry about it because the good eye will compensate for the bad eye, but I'd rather have both eyes working.
Mono vision is where they correct one eye to see distance well, and adjust the other eye to see well close up.

My trial with mono vision using contacts went really well. Well enough to consider getting it done with Lasik.

I would just use contacts but, with the exception of the contacts the Lasik provider used, I've had a really tough time with the trial contacts I got from Costco.

I just get pissed working with contacts, so I'm getting Lasik. I just need to decide to go with mono vision, or get corrected for distance, and still have to use glasses for work up close.

Mono vision should eliminate glasses for me as one eye would do the distance work and the other would do the near field work
lumpy790
2/4/2015 8:52pm
at 54 guess who has cataracts.... 1st surgery is in 12 days. There is new lens technology (2005) that fixes both near and far sited. What sucks is the lens is not covered by insurance and is costing me $5500 just for the 2 lenses.
KAB
Fantasy
862nd
2/4/2015 9:13pm
Sclark, I am 49 and had lasik performed at 43 with mono vision. It has not affected me at all riding. Made my vision so much better to see far away than with contacts. No problems with depth perception. The only time it seems a little blurry is after first waking up and when the light changes at sunset. It was and is great, however I am now needing to use reading glasses more. It was worth it in my opinion.
sclark309d
Fantasy
1944th
2/5/2015 11:01am
KAB wrote:
Sclark, I am 49 and had lasik performed at 43 with mono vision. It has not affected me at all riding. Made my vision so much...
Sclark, I am 49 and had lasik performed at 43 with mono vision. It has not affected me at all riding. Made my vision so much better to see far away than with contacts. No problems with depth perception. The only time it seems a little blurry is after first waking up and when the light changes at sunset. It was and is great, however I am now needing to use reading glasses more. It was worth it in my opinion.
Thank you all for the feedback.

I'll be doing the Lasik mono vision soon.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
2/5/2015 11:45am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2015 11:47am
It actually sounds like just getting both eyes the same would be the best way to go, and then use reading glasses for close up. Separate function eyes just seems off. Like, only putting in one contact lense, or broken glasses with one lense. I've done that and everything looked and felt off.
kevingent55
2/5/2015 11:55am
I've been wearing contacts for 37 years, in my mid-50s now. My eye doctor has had me wearing CooperVision Multifocal lenses for a few years. They're like bifocal glasses built into contacts, they work well, all I do is off road riding.
spdtrpl
2/5/2015 6:53pm
I had the lasik mono vision done about 6 years ago. It's one of the best things I have spent money on.
At 58 my night vision isn't what it was. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the mono vision, but I like it much more than using reading glasses. I wished I had done it years before, riding in glasses or contacts was always never good for me.
shanes
2/5/2015 6:57pm
i am going in soon to have mine done , i can't ride a superbike any more and for mx and supermoto i have to use clear goggles can't see shit with tinted ones , i have been putting it off but time to bite the bullet . My wife has hers done last year she was -6.7 so more or less blind said it the best thing she ever did
MJC
2/5/2015 8:01pm
How do you jerkies go with contacts in dusty conditions? I'd give me left nut to have Lasik done, maybe stump up for it in the next cpl of years. I ride mainly in the bush and have this thing with my right wrist where for the most part it is too scared to roll the throttle all the way, but I'd kill for some clear vision....
71Fish
2/5/2015 9:19pm
I'm 43 but have only been wearing glasses for a couple of years. When I went in for my last exam he told me I wouldn't be a good candidate for contacts because I now use bifocals. He mentioned adjusting one for close and one for far. Must have been talking about mono correction you guys were talking about.

I'm going to consider Lasik in a couple of years.
What about PRK? A coworker had it done and seems to like it. Any of you have that done?

Post a reply to: Lasik, mono vision and riding

The Latest