Lame Games ?

500guy
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:52am
TV coverage sucked

Dusty hard pack POS track

Only showed Hanny & Grant.

3 people in the stands.

Sun in everyone's eyes.

if you liked last nights show do not ever complain about the SX or MX TV presentation.
|
Outsider
7/30/2010 7:32am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2010 9:03am
It was pretty much what I expected. The dust was ridiculous, cool for JG to beat "the champ", lol.

Track was awesome though. Get rid of an Anaheim and take a SX back to the Colosseum.
braaap
Fantasy
2172nd
7/30/2010 7:32am
Maybe I'm getting too old but I'm over the X Games, especially the MX part. Who really gives a shit when it's right in the middle of the Nationals anyway?
JR51
7/30/2010 7:39am
I bet the Josh's sponsors enjoyed the coverage.

I bet the riders enjoyed the payday...not bad for a Thursday!

But that doesn't matter compared to what the "core" "old-school" message boarders think, right?

JR

The Shop

ATKpilot99
7/30/2010 7:46am
I thought it was ok for Thursday night viewing , but yeah is there a water shortage in L.A. ?
7/30/2010 7:48am
500guy wrote:
TV coverage sucked Dusty hard pack POS track Only showed Hanny & Grant. 3 people in the stands. Sun in everyone's eyes. if you liked last...
TV coverage sucked

3 people in the stands.

Sun in everyone's eyes.

if you liked last nights show do not ever complain about the SX or MX TV presentation.
Some people will complain about everything.
7/30/2010 7:52am
500guy wrote:
TV coverage sucked Dusty hard pack POS track Only showed Hanny & Grant. 3 people in the stands. Sun in everyone's eyes. if you liked last...
TV coverage sucked

3 people in the stands.

Sun in everyone's eyes.

Some people will complain about everything.
Yep.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
7/30/2010 7:53am
Outsider wrote:
It was pretty much what I expected. The dust was ridiculous, cool for JG to beat "the champ", lol.Track was awesome though. Get rid of an...
It was pretty much what I expected. The dust was ridiculous, cool for JG to beat "the champ", lol.

Track was awesome though. Get rid of an Anaheim and take a SX back to the Colosseum.
same here, pretty much what i expected for a thursday night. People should stop complaining about the lack of fans at the X Games, it has never been a secret that asses in the seats are not really the target, whether we like it or not.

Track was pretty good, typical slick SoCal SX track, except the WTF dust. They only showed battles in the front like they do at all MX/SX races, what's the difference.

X Games on Day 1 was exactly what I expected, nothing magic, nothing bad. Just X Games. When I don't like a movie I don't go watch it, just to complain. Mostly old-school peeps are going to never like it anyway. It's just a different event, like doing a GNCC or going to Le Touquet or the Erzberg, different stuff.
TerryB
7/30/2010 7:56am
JR51 wrote:
I bet the Josh's sponsors enjoyed the coverage. I bet the riders enjoyed the payday...not bad for a Thursday! But that doesn't matter compared to what...

But that doesn't matter compared to what the "core" "old-school" message boarders think, right?

JR

I think you may be wrong. I wonder if Moto is a good fit for X Games.

My "old school", "core" 45 year old ass sat on the couch and watched it, while on the phone with my "old school", "core" 52 year old buddy, as he watched. You think any of our boys or their friends (all riders/racers) watched it? They didn't know it was on, and couldn't give two shits when we told them it was on.

My oldest did perk up when I said TP was winning freestyle, and watched his last run with me.

Oh, and I don't think I'd tune in to see it again. I guess the boys must have watched it last year
yosmithy
7/30/2010 8:13am
they should have shown more boobs and vagina's
7/30/2010 8:16am
JR51 wrote:
I bet the Josh's sponsors enjoyed the coverage. I bet the riders enjoyed the payday...not bad for a Thursday! But that doesn't matter compared to what...

JR

TerryB wrote:
I think you may be wrong. I wonder if Moto is a good fit for X Games. My "old school", "core" 45 year old ass sat...
I think you may be wrong. I wonder if Moto is a good fit for X Games.

My "old school", "core" 45 year old ass sat on the couch and watched it, while on the phone with my "old school", "core" 52 year old buddy, as he watched. You think any of our boys or their friends (all riders/racers) watched it? They didn't know it was on, and couldn't give two shits when we told them it was on.

My oldest did perk up when I said TP was winning freestyle, and watched his last run with me.

Oh, and I don't think I'd tune in to see it again. I guess the boys must have watched it last year
My kids and several of their friends came home from the bike park to watch and said that many others were doing the same. Imagine that. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/30/2010 8:23am
"Core" MX fans are not the target audience. ESPN isn't concerned with a number that small. That's why the races always got bumped for the spelling bee/cheerleading/etc when they were on ESPN.

TerryB
7/30/2010 8:25am
My kids and several of their friends came home from the bike park to watch and said that many others were doing the same. Imagine that...
My kids and several of their friends came home from the bike park to watch and said that many others were doing the same. Imagine that. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Your key words: "bike park".

That's not surprising, X Games is mainly followed by the BMX and skate crowd.
swizcore
7/30/2010 8:25am
Until they put the SX in a domed stadium, with a better track(not dusty hardpack), I'm glad SX is the bastard sport run on the "lame day".

As it is, it's not represntative of real SX.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/30/2010 8:26am
I loved the Super X, but my bride was asleep in 30 seconds.

The freestyle had me nervous and on the edge of my seat. I just hate seeing those guys get hurt. I definitely plan on watching tonight tho.
TerryB
7/30/2010 8:28am
"Core" MX fans are not the target audience. ESPN isn't concerned with a number that small. That's why the races always got bumped for the spelling...
"Core" MX fans are not the target audience. ESPN isn't concerned with a number that small. That's why the races always got bumped for the spelling bee/cheerleading/etc when they were on ESPN.

That's why I was wondering aloud, "is Moto a good fit for X?"

I'm not bagging on the idea of X, or the value to avertisers.

Do the riders care about it? Not that much it seems. Mostly B team guys, guys on their way down and out, except for the JGR guys, or a few unknowns trying to make a name, or the guys paid by their energy drink sponsor to be there...
Torco1
7/30/2010 8:35am
I like the X Games, but I do think that its lost a lot of its excitement. It seems like in the past something crazy or "magical" would always happen in at least one of the events.....if not more. But now it just seems like a really big demo with not very many surprises. I'm hoping that the MX best trick changes that for me tonight though.
gt80rider
7/30/2010 8:40am
Dust is real moto..... i have no problem with that......

the racing wasn't bad...... the Hot Sauce vs lil' Hanny duel had to be good in person.... although the camera guys had a hard time figuring out what to follow....

i was dig'n MC.... sounded much better than usual..

i don't normally like watching the chics but it was pretty dern good..... those chics were huck'n it....
TerryB
7/30/2010 8:44am
Torco1 wrote:
I like the X Games, but I do think that its lost a lot of its excitement. It seems like in the past something crazy or...
I like the X Games, but I do think that its lost a lot of its excitement. It seems like in the past something crazy or "magical" would always happen in at least one of the events.....if not more. But now it just seems like a really big demo with not very many surprises. I'm hoping that the MX best trick changes that for me tonight though.
I think you may have nailed it there. Is there Best Whip this year?
7/30/2010 8:45am
My kids and several of their friends came home from the bike park to watch and said that many others were doing the same. Imagine that...
TerryB wrote:
Your key words: "bike park".

That's not surprising, X Games is mainly followed by the BMX and skate crowd.
Most in their groups ride motorcycles too. The point is they watched it instead of being at the bike park.
TerryB
7/30/2010 8:59am
Most in their groups ride motorcycles too. The point is they watched it instead of being at the bike park.
And you're proving my point. MX probably isn't a primary interest with most of their group. Some of them don't even ride, right? What do they all have in common?

Again, the core MX crowd isn't the crowd they're attracting with it, and that's why I question it (we'll see if it sticks around a couple more years), the Freestyle and Trickster crowd is a better fit. Get it?
Bob693
7/30/2010 9:02am
swizcore wrote:
Until they put the SX in a domed stadium, with a better track(not dusty hardpack), I'm glad SX is the bastard sport run on the "lame...
Until they put the SX in a domed stadium, with a better track(not dusty hardpack), I'm glad SX is the bastard sport run on the "lame day".

Than you better not watch the Vegas round.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/30/2010 9:07am
braaap wrote:
Maybe I'm getting too old but I'm over the X Games, especially the MX part. Who really gives a shit when it's right in the middle...
Maybe I'm getting too old but I'm over the X Games, especially the MX part. Who really gives a shit when it's right in the middle of the Nationals anyway?
I guess you don't remember back to the days when the Superbowl of Motocross (in the Coliseum) was...wait for it...in the middle of the National season. Wink
SMITH201
7/30/2010 9:09am
I like X. Skate Park was good yesterday, so was MotoX, Big Air and FMX.

but I do agree, ESPN's cover could have been better, especially witht he FMX. That was poor coverage and camera work for MotoX and FMX. The splitscreens for replays during live runs was lame. Then showing an entire half lap replay of Moto X during the live race! Dizzy
7/30/2010 9:17am
TerryB wrote:
And you're proving my point. MX probably isn't a primary interest with most of their group. Some of them don't even ride, right? What do they...
And you're proving my point. MX probably isn't a primary interest with most of their group. Some of them don't even ride, right? What do they all have in common?

Again, the core MX crowd isn't the crowd they're attracting with it, and that's why I question it (we'll see if it sticks around a couple more years), the Freestyle and Trickster crowd is a better fit. Get it?
Ummmmmmm what part of this is so hard to understand. There were a bunch of kids at a bike park. A lot of those kids left the bike park to go home and watch the X Games. A lot of those same kids also ride motorcycles. Newsflash, some kids can do more than one thing and actually leave their home to go to school. No they don't ride a motorcycle all day every day. What you aren't grasping it who gives a fuck if some of the "core" MX crowd don't watch? You did, didn't you..along with your buddy.
7/30/2010 9:18am
braaap wrote:
Maybe I'm getting too old but I'm over the X Games, especially the MX part. Who really gives a shit when it's right in the middle...
GuyB wrote:
I guess you don't remember back to the days when the Superbowl of Motocross (in the Coliseum) was...wait for it...in the middle of the National season...
I guess you don't remember back to the days when the Superbowl of Motocross (in the Coliseum) was...wait for it...in the middle of the National season. Wink
CORE!!!!
swizcore
7/30/2010 9:23am
swizcore wrote:
Until they put the SX in a domed stadium, with a better track(not dusty hardpack), I'm glad SX is the bastard sport run on the "lame...

Bob693 wrote:
Than you better not watch the Vegas round.
Well at least Vegas is at night and every rider is there.
TerryB
7/30/2010 9:38am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2010 9:41am
Ummmmmmm what part of this is so hard to understand. There were a bunch of kids at a bike park. A lot of those kids left...
Ummmmmmm what part of this is so hard to understand. There were a bunch of kids at a bike park. A lot of those kids left the bike park to go home and watch the X Games. A lot of those same kids also ride motorcycles. Newsflash, some kids can do more than one thing and actually leave their home to go to school. No they don't ride a motorcycle all day every day. What you aren't grasping it who gives a fuck if some of the "core" MX crowd don't watch? You did, didn't you..along with your buddy.
Wow. Proving my point over and over... Those kids who are fans of X, and came home from the BIKE PARK to watch it, ALL have what in common, (hint: it aint Moto)?

Skate park, and bike park fun and games are a lot closer to FMX, and it's easy to see the crossover in interest there. FMX has been pretty successful with X, wouldn't you agree? All the big names show up for it. SX racing? Not so much.

Yes, I tuned in, and I probably wouldn't again, "to watch MX/SX racing". It was kind of a non-event. Not much there to entertain a "race fan".

Would I tune in to see Best Whip? Yeah.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/30/2010 9:55am
TerryB wrote:
That's why I was wondering aloud, "is Moto a good fit for X?" I'm not bagging on the idea of X, or the value to avertisers...
That's why I was wondering aloud, "is Moto a good fit for X?"

I'm not bagging on the idea of X, or the value to avertisers.

Do the riders care about it? Not that much it seems. Mostly B team guys, guys on their way down and out, except for the JGR guys, or a few unknowns trying to make a name, or the guys paid by their energy drink sponsor to be there...
Maybe the point is that it’s not moto, at least as we think of it. It’s a product for TV like freestyle.

ESPN created the X Games as a commodity to sell, and vehicle for extreme sports athletes to sell themselves. ESPN constantly tinkers with things, types of events and the formats for them, to tailor them to snapshot excitement, short attention span friendly TV formats.

They don’t have any affinity to MX and its traditions other than to take what works to fit that formula. Pure MX in its traditional form is not large-audience friendly (as least as the racing is or is presented now) in that there’s an element of patience in it for the riders and the audience. Even “real” SX is not bull riding or even four-lap speedway racing. The pay off for the audience is when it hangs in there. ESPN knows that’s a small audience.

Can it or should it attract more championship contending riders? Big names to us? Does it need to? They made Gracyk a star a couple years ago and most of their audience probably didn’t know he was any less a talent than RC in any meaningful way. It would be just as good a show with a field of nationals backmarkers and suit ESPN fine. And they would trade away any soul element of MX to better serve their TV format needs.

Sidebar: the trick for outdoor MX is how to improve the TV presentation to expand the audience while preserving the soul elements of MX at the track. IMO it revolves around creating more, closer and better racing moments and continuing improvement of the TV production to capture and present that.

Bit of a ramble, sorry.

Post a reply to: Lame Games ?

The Latest