Lack of Custom

Edited Date/Time 11/7/2012 4:01pm
Whats the deal with the lack of custom gear in motocross. I don't understand why boot companies don't offer custom options, such as colors, sizes, tweaks to inner booties. I know it would cost a bit more and you would wait longer but I would think there is a ton of riders that would order custom gear if offered.
|
jndmx
11/5/2012 8:39am
Answered your own question there dude.....

it would cost a bit more and you would wait longer
11/5/2012 8:48am
jndmx wrote:

I dont think that answers the question at all. You cant tell me people wouldnt be willing to pay a bit more and wait a couple months for there custom gear.
jndmx
11/5/2012 8:52am
jndmx wrote:

I dont think that answers the question at all. You cant tell me people wouldnt be willing to pay a bit more and wait a couple...
I dont think that answers the question at all. You cant tell me people wouldnt be willing to pay a bit more and wait a couple months for there custom gear.
You should talk to some folks that own gear companies then.

Anything that is going to cost more is going to take away a portion of the market and the custom stuff folks usually get done by their graphics people.
And guess what everyone wants that for free or as close as possible too.

The extra time is not as much of a factor but if someone is paying more they won't want to wait longer.

Just my thoughts based on folks I've spoken with.

The Shop

mattmatt300
11/5/2012 9:00am
People will buy from one website over another because it's $5 cheaper. Or buy online instead of at the dealership because of a 10% discount. A little bit goes a long way. Plus the fact that any color gear you want there's a good chance someone already makes it.
11/5/2012 9:05am
jndmx wrote:
You should talk to some folks that own gear companies then. Anything that is going to cost more is going to take away a portion of...
You should talk to some folks that own gear companies then.

Anything that is going to cost more is going to take away a portion of the market and the custom stuff folks usually get done by their graphics people.
And guess what everyone wants that for free or as close as possible too.

The extra time is not as much of a factor but if someone is paying more they won't want to wait longer.

Just my thoughts based on folks I've spoken with.
I played hockey growing up, and every goalie wears Custom gear. Every piece is almost custom. The brands all have there standard line but offer custom modifications for them. You know in advance that when your going to order your pads in custom colours that your going to pay more and wait longer.

I would just think that the same business model would work in motocross.
4stroke4DWIN
11/5/2012 9:10am
Jett boots have interchangeable panels for a semi custom look.
jndmx
11/5/2012 9:14am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2012 9:16am
I played hockey growing up, and every goalie wears Custom gear. Every piece is almost custom. The brands all have there standard line but offer custom...
I played hockey growing up, and every goalie wears Custom gear. Every piece is almost custom. The brands all have there standard line but offer custom modifications for them. You know in advance that when your going to order your pads in custom colours that your going to pay more and wait longer.

I would just think that the same business model would work in motocross.
I hear what you are saying but you have to figure in the extra $6,000 or so that the average racer spends on a bike/parts that those hockey folks don't.
People will drop $600.00 on a pipe to "get more outta the engine" that they can never use before they will pay an extra $6.00 on gear.

Don't know why but it's the truth......not everyone but the majority I think.

Plus you have to consider the bulk nature of manufacturing the gear that is available.
Most if not all takes place overseas.
Anything custom at the factory level would be almost impossible.
11/5/2012 9:26am
You've got a point there. Personally I would love to the customize a set of Tech 10s but I'm not sure the there is much call for fully custom moto gear as there is in the Goalie position in Hockey. Hockey you're dealing with a global game of insane hockey dads who order 5 grand in full custom pads in may to match the colors scheme of that team that Junior better make next season. although moto is HUGE in our world and we see tons of crazy moto dads pulling 100000 dollar rigs into the pits I don't think there is as much call for custom gear. As goalie the alterations to your pads not only help you make saves but could very well allow you to make the team you're hoping for by helping you have a great tryout. as Racers we know that having a cool graphic or a little bit comfier boot really doesn"t take 5 seconds off out lap times especially when covered in 5 pounds of mud.

If there was a market for custom gear we would see it advertised but I see your point of view and that you would pay and wait unfortunately there are not many other who feel that way
Xeno
11/5/2012 9:49am
Whats the deal with the lack of custom gear in motocross. I don't understand why boot companies don't offer custom options, such as colors, sizes, tweaks...
Whats the deal with the lack of custom gear in motocross. I don't understand why boot companies don't offer custom options, such as colors, sizes, tweaks to inner booties. I know it would cost a bit more and you would wait longer but I would think there is a ton of riders that would order custom gear if offered.
When I was a kid you could go to the Vans store and order shoes with custom fabrics and colors. You could even give them your fabric and they would use it for the side panels of the shoes.
Back then, the shoes were made in Orange, California so they were able to handle custom orders.
I think they stopped offering that service even before the shoe production was moved overseas.

The old Vans factory in Orange is now a stone countertop distributor. I drove by it the other day when I went to Dubya USA for a spoke kit.
Underdog999
11/5/2012 9:55am
Whats the deal with the lack of custom gear in motocross. I don't understand why boot companies don't offer custom options, such as colors, sizes, tweaks...
Xeno wrote:
When I was a kid you could go to the Vans store and order shoes with custom fabrics and colors. You could even give them your...
When I was a kid you could go to the Vans store and order shoes with custom fabrics and colors. You could even give them your fabric and they would use it for the side panels of the shoes.
Back then, the shoes were made in Orange, California so they were able to handle custom orders.
I think they stopped offering that service even before the shoe production was moved overseas.

The old Vans factory in Orange is now a stone countertop distributor. I drove by it the other day when I went to Dubya USA for a spoke kit.
You can still buy custom Vans online!

You can also customize certain Nike and Adidas shoes and gear. I would think it would be doable with mx only if mx got big enough.
11/5/2012 10:10am
You can still buy custom Vans online! You can also customize certain Nike and Adidas shoes and gear. I would think it would be doable with...
You can still buy custom Vans online!

You can also customize certain Nike and Adidas shoes and gear. I would think it would be doable with mx only if mx got big enough.
I was thinking the same thing, and I think MX is big enough.

Im not saying get rid of the standard colour ways, just add the option of custom to the people willing to pay and wait. i bet you would see a lot of custom colour ways in boots with pro riders.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/5/2012 10:18am
If people were allowed to make custom gear, I bet we'd see a lot of really fugly gear. Wink
APLMAN99
11/5/2012 10:47am
APLMAN99 wrote:
That's cool, but I'm more interested in doing custom color ways in boots
That was to show you how much you'd have to pay for customization. A $40 jersey becomes $120. Apply that 3X price increase for a truly customized boot.

If you have the cash, Alpinestars would probably make you whatever you want. But if you have to ask the price, you know the rest.....
Neutra
11/5/2012 11:13am
GuyB wrote:
If people were allowed to make custom gear, I bet we'd see a lot of really fugly gear. Wink
Yep, just like the graphics on bikes... :-(
lapper
11/5/2012 11:27am
TWMX just did an interview with Troy Lee and he kind of touched on this subject. Although specifically talking about helmets, he said the market for custom painted MX helmets is very small. Riders (including Pros) are just not willing to spend the money. The Road guys (cars and bikes) will still drop a couple hundred because they can get a full season out of the same equipment. MX gear tends to take much more abuse, and may only last 2-3 races before it's trashed.

Sticker kits for your boots and neck braces are as "custom" as most peoples budget can afford.
11/5/2012 11:40am
GuyB wrote:
And we don't already? Smile
11/5/2012 4:15pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
That was to show you how much you'd have to pay for customization. A $40 jersey becomes $120. Apply that 3X price increase for a truly...
That was to show you how much you'd have to pay for customization. A $40 jersey becomes $120. Apply that 3X price increase for a truly customized boot.

If you have the cash, Alpinestars would probably make you whatever you want. But if you have to ask the price, you know the rest.....
Custom color ways on boots wouldnt drive the price up that much. They would still be using the colors they offer, just allowing the customer to decide were on the boot he wants it. Going back to the goalies in hockey, the custom color ways for pads dont add much to the price, its just the wait time to get them.
11/5/2012 4:21pm
lapper wrote:
TWMX just did an interview with Troy Lee and he kind of touched on this subject. Although specifically talking about helmets, he said the market for...
TWMX just did an interview with Troy Lee and he kind of touched on this subject. Although specifically talking about helmets, he said the market for custom painted MX helmets is very small. Riders (including Pros) are just not willing to spend the money. The Road guys (cars and bikes) will still drop a couple hundred because they can get a full season out of the same equipment. MX gear tends to take much more abuse, and may only last 2-3 races before it's trashed.

Sticker kits for your boots and neck braces are as "custom" as most peoples budget can afford.
I see what your saying but here is how I think being able to pick your color ways on boots would be different than getting a custom lid. It wouldn't cost the company or the customer more when picking custom color combos for there boot. The company has the coloured soles and leathers from there standard boots they sell already. With a custom helmet you have to buy the Lid than pay more for the paint job than the helmet. It's easy to see why mx riders choose not to pay for custom lids because there going threw lids often and the price is nearly 1500 all said and done.
11/5/2012 8:28pm
I believe Wrex does custom designed MX gear - http://wrexracing.com/
Also cool, but still want to do custom colours, not so much designs. I guess I should have said custom boots cause really that's what I would like to have the option of.
mattmatt300
11/5/2012 8:33pm
So you want the industry to change all so you can have an extra cute pair of boots?
11/5/2012 8:47pm
So you want the industry to change all so you can have an extra cute pair of boots?
Oh no Change. How terrible. Soooooo scary.

Sorry that I have my own individual taste.

It's not a unrealistic request and I won't doubt it if a boot company comes out with this option in the near future.
TerryK
11/5/2012 9:01pm
If you've ever worked at a dealer or moto company you would know how wrong you are about people paying more. They won't and they wont wait either.
11/5/2012 9:30pm
TerryK wrote:
If you've ever worked at a dealer or moto company you would know how wrong you are about people paying more. They won't and they wont...
If you've ever worked at a dealer or moto company you would know how wrong you are about people paying more. They won't and they wont wait either.
I strongly disagree with you. There are lots of passionate mx riders with money to burn that would order custom color ways for boots. I'm not saying everyone is going to want them but there are lots that would.
APLMAN99
11/5/2012 9:32pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
That was to show you how much you'd have to pay for customization. A $40 jersey becomes $120. Apply that 3X price increase for a truly...

Custom color ways on boots wouldnt drive the price up that much. They would still be using the colors they offer, just allowing the customer to...
Custom color ways on boots wouldnt drive the price up that much. They would still be using the colors they offer, just allowing the customer to decide were on the boot he wants it. Going back to the goalies in hockey, the custom color ways for pads dont add much to the price, its just the wait time to get them.
I think you're far underestimating the added costs involved in making "one off" things like the boots you are describing. There would have to be so many different levels of checks to get the right boot to the right customer that it wouldn't be just a little extra.

Again, I bet you could get your wish from most of the boot makers right now. You just probably wouldn't want to pay their price.

Post a reply to: Lack of Custom

The Latest