LL's Vet 30B/C

klein8
7/30/2013 11:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2013 6:42am
What is the reason for the Vet 30 being a B/C only and not just an age group like the rest of the Vet classes?
|
dboivin
7/30/2013 11:49pm
to keep past pro's/experts out of it.
Motodave15
7/30/2013 11:50pm
klein8 wrote:
What is the reason for the Vet 30 being a B/C only and not just an age group like the rest of the Vet classes?
Because they want over 30b/c to be for the working class
JB 19
7/31/2013 1:00am
dboivin wrote:
Except if you ever signed up in the A class anywhere any time no matter how bad you got smoked you get grouped in with Ricky Carmichael and Robbie Reynard.

In my opinion, if you ever held a pro license you should not be allowed to race. Leave the race open to everyone else who is an AMATEUR.

Mark my words, stamp it, or whatever you want...but in a couple years Windham will be down there racing.
Shawn142
7/31/2013 4:30am
It's getting to the point where former pros dominate the top 10 in the +25 and +35.. it might be about time to look into that Vet Pro class.

The Shop

7/31/2013 4:37am
dboivin wrote:
JB 19 wrote:
Except if you ever signed up in the A class anywhere any time no matter how bad you got smoked you get grouped in with Ricky...
Except if you ever signed up in the A class anywhere any time no matter how bad you got smoked you get grouped in with Ricky Carmichael and Robbie Reynard.

In my opinion, if you ever held a pro license you should not be allowed to race. Leave the race open to everyone else who is an AMATEUR.

Mark my words, stamp it, or whatever you want...but in a couple years Windham will be down there racing.
What a ridiculous rule!

How awesome is it for those kids at the ranch to be able to watch legends like Ferry and RR race on the same track as them?

Must also be pretty cool for the older dudes to say they were ahead of guys like Ferry, even it was for a couple of corners.

And if KW does end up there then it will a plus and not minus IMO.
JB 19
7/31/2013 5:09am
The Vet classes have been ruined from what they once were at LL's. It's basically turned into a handful of exhibition races. If the old pro's want to race down there make a Vet Pro class and they can race each other and leave the rest of the event for the guys who have had to work 9-5 their whole adult life.
EastFlorida
7/31/2013 5:13am
JB 19 wrote:
The Vet classes have been ruined from what they once were at LL's. It's basically turned into a handful of exhibition races. If the old pro's...
The Vet classes have been ruined from what they once were at LL's. It's basically turned into a handful of exhibition races. If the old pro's want to race down there make a Vet Pro class and they can race each other and leave the rest of the event for the guys who have had to work 9-5 their whole adult life.
+1
ga_pike
7/31/2013 5:21am
JB 19 wrote:
The Vet classes have been ruined from what they once were at LL's. It's basically turned into a handful of exhibition races. If the old pro's...
Sounds like this hits a little too close to home for you? Did someone get their "shot" at being #1 ruined?
Shawn142
7/31/2013 5:22am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2013 5:24am
What a ridiculous rule! How awesome is it for those kids at the ranch to be able to watch legends like Ferry and RR race on...
What a ridiculous rule!

How awesome is it for those kids at the ranch to be able to watch legends like Ferry and RR race on the same track as them?

Must also be pretty cool for the older dudes to say they were ahead of guys like Ferry, even it was for a couple of corners.

I think there are enough former pros spread across the classes to make a half gate for a Vet Pro, and the rest can surely be filled with the average joe who wants to try his hand at racing them. But this has been a problem for a very long time. The first year I made it to Loretta's on a 60cc in the 90's I watched my father have to race against Jeff Glass (who was still on his Surf Detergent bike) and former pro Kevin Foley in the +30.
JB 19
7/31/2013 5:38am
JB 19 wrote:
ga_pike wrote:
Sounds like this hits a little too close to home for you? Did someone get their "shot" at being #1 ruined?
haha......I wish I was that close.
ga_pike
7/31/2013 5:48am
The thing you have to keep in mind is these ex-pro's are no longer training at the level they once did. They have kids, jobs, etc. They just want to race at a competitive level again and LL gives them that opportunity. Heck, some of them only race the qualifiers and the national. Don't get mad at them for racing within the established rules. I'm sure if there was a Vet Pro class, these guys would sign up. But it's also not necessarily fair to have a 45 or 50 + year old ex-pro racing against a 35 year old ex-pro. James Povolny and Jimmy Evans seemed to hold their own in the +35 class. I'm sure those guys want to race against the best competition available, not some watered down version.
brocster
7/31/2013 5:54am
this subject comes up every year around Lorettas

get ready. you are about to get blasted for being a whiney little bitch by all the "fast guys" on here saying that you should be honored to be racing(riding) against ex World Champions, pros and the like and if you didn't make it to "get faster"....

it takes the fun out of it when there are 40 spots available for an AMATEUR event but ~10 or so are locked up by EX PROS in almost every Vet class
dirtdog36
7/31/2013 7:20am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2013 7:22am
JB 19 wrote:
+1
+2

I really like seeing Ferry, Trampas Parker, RR, Mike Sleeter and the others. I agree that it is cool for the kids (and us) to get to see those guys ride the track. Just give them a class and as JB19 said if the average joe wants to enter to fill the rest of the gate have at it. And if you want to let them race two classes its Vet Pro and +25.

PS: It is NOT a bad thing that those guys are at the ranch
7/31/2013 7:30am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2013 7:38am
It allows guys like me that never made it to our prime to have a chance at a title later on in life... It was a good avenue for me to right some wrongs....

I could careless who I line up on the gate with, always going for the win and at Loretta's it's very possible to pull one out against the formers..... I think everything is just fine the way it is. I have to wait until 35+ for a solid qual, it's possible for me to make it in the 25+ but I'm cutting it close and not going to spend the money until I know I will qual.... 2017 is the goal and It will be the first time my son tries to qual. We'll do it together...
4stroke4DWIN
7/31/2013 7:31am
I qualified in both Vet 30 + B/C and 35+ this yr just couldn't make it due to running a shop, I'll tell you first hand both these old fart classes are pretty damn quick. I told my wife that if I made it in the 35+ whatever ex pro I got roosted by I was gonna bag the goggles up in a baggy and save them. LOL. Vet B/C I had a decent chance at doing good, 35+ I already knew before the area quali that it would be just to say I raced with some past greats. No crying here, just get fuckin faster if you want a legit chance.
Stickers
7/31/2013 10:46am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2013 10:47am
brocster wrote:
this subject comes up every year around Lorettas get ready. you are about to get blasted for being a whiney little bitch by all the "fast...
this subject comes up every year around Lorettas

get ready. you are about to get blasted for being a whiney little bitch by all the "fast guys" on here saying that you should be honored to be racing(riding) against ex World Champions, pros and the like and if you didn't make it to "get faster"....

it takes the fun out of it when there are 40 spots available for an AMATEUR event but ~10 or so are locked up by EX PROS in almost every Vet class
Key words: ex pros. These guys don't race for a living anymore. As long as they are of age in that class then it's all good. Don't hate just because they are abnormally fast....

Not stating that directly at you. Just this post in general.
dcg141
7/31/2013 11:16am
What a ridiculous rule! How awesome is it for those kids at the ranch to be able to watch legends like Ferry and RR race on...
What a ridiculous rule!

Shawn142 wrote:
I think there are enough former pros spread across the classes to make a half gate for a Vet Pro, and the rest can surely be...
I think there are enough former pros spread across the classes to make a half gate for a Vet Pro, and the rest can surely be filled with the average joe who wants to try his hand at racing them. But this has been a problem for a very long time. The first year I made it to Loretta's on a 60cc in the 90's I watched my father have to race against Jeff Glass (who was still on his Surf Detergent bike) and former pro Kevin Foley in the +30.
I rode in +30 A there from 93 thru 96. I probably raced against your dad.
hvaughn88
7/31/2013 11:21am
maybe i'm missing something here but I also don't completely understand having a "pro" class at an amateur race (ala Open Pro). By no means does it upset me or fill my cheerios with piss, it's just something I've always found funny
Shawn142
7/31/2013 11:22am
dcg141 wrote:
We raced there from '91-'97. His first year in the +30 A was the same as yours, '93. Looking back at the vault jogs my memory a little more and it wasn't my first year there he had to race those guys and you. He never did very well in the +30, but he did have some top 5s in the +40.

http://llvault.racerxonline.com/rider/billy-smith/races
dboivin
7/31/2013 11:48am
I qualified in both Vet 30 + B/C and 35+ this yr just couldn't make it due to running a shop, I'll tell you first hand...
I qualified in both Vet 30 + B/C and 35+ this yr just couldn't make it due to running a shop, I'll tell you first hand both these old fart classes are pretty damn quick. I told my wife that if I made it in the 35+ whatever ex pro I got roosted by I was gonna bag the goggles up in a baggy and save them. LOL. Vet B/C I had a decent chance at doing good, 35+ I already knew before the area quali that it would be just to say I raced with some past greats. No crying here, just get fuckin faster if you want a legit chance.
exactly. nothing but a bunch of whiners in here...
DocMarten
7/31/2013 12:21pm
if you've qualified for a national in the past 10 years, you shouldnt be at lorettas.

sorry..even if guys like Tim Ferry and Reynard aren't racing for a paycheck anymore, its still not fair to the rest of the "amateurs" out there..
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/31/2013 1:53pm
DocMarten wrote:
if you've qualified for a national in the past 10 years, you shouldnt be at lorettas. sorry..even if guys like Tim Ferry and Reynard aren't racing...
if you've qualified for a national in the past 10 years, you shouldnt be at lorettas.

sorry..even if guys like Tim Ferry and Reynard aren't racing for a paycheck anymore, its still not fair to the rest of the "amateurs" out there..
dcg141
7/31/2013 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2013 2:02pm
dcg141 wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
We raced there from '91-'97. His first year in the +30 A was the same as yours, '93. Looking back at the vault jogs my memory...
We raced there from '91-'97. His first year in the +30 A was the same as yours, '93. Looking back at the vault jogs my memory a little more and it wasn't my first year there he had to race those guys and you. He never did very well in the +30, but he did have some top 5s in the +40.

Wow...your dad finished right in front of me in the first moto in 30+ B/C in 92. He got 4th overall and I got 6th that year. Small world. I see we both got smoked in Vet A.
7/31/2013 2:07pm
Only 3 years, 4 months and 25 days until I turn 30. I tried +25 and I'm still too slow for that at LL's.
dcg141
7/31/2013 3:56pm
If there is a split in the age class I ride A now. Have every since I got 6th in Vet B/C in 92. Hare scrambles, mx, enduro's, local or national event does not matter. I like riding with the former pros. The upside is you will get faster.
dboivin
7/31/2013 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2013 4:04pm
dcg141 wrote:
If there is a split in the age class I ride A now. Have every since I got 6th in Vet B/C in 92. Hare scrambles...
If there is a split in the age class I ride A now. Have every since I got 6th in Vet B/C in 92. Hare scrambles, mx, enduro's, local or national event does not matter. I like riding with the former pros. The upside is you will get faster.
^^^ this guy gets it.

just because someone rode pro (at any level), they shouldn't be able to come back and ride the vet classes??? thats retarded and I'm not totally surprised about all the whining i guess...it is vital.

and for the guys counting down the days til the next age class so it gets easier...I used to do that too. all the fast guys keep coming back at that next age group also you know, lol. Wink

I wish they would get rid of A/B/C stuff altogether but that would probably cut participation and lots of money making.
7/31/2013 6:06pm
Once a Pro always a Pro. A good compromise would be if you ever earned points then you can't participate in the "Amateur" National at LL's. Say unless you drop down in class by 10 years. so if you're Tim Ferry at 45 you can race the plus 35. For all the rest there should be a Vet pro class. It would be a big draw and probably attract more former stars!

Nobody really wants to see Ricky or Timmy beat the the local fast Vet guy do they?
JB 19
7/31/2013 6:23pm
The problem with 30 A at the local level is you get 4 guys to sign up and 20 in the B/C. Sure is fun to race against 3 or 4 other guys.

For me, I rode a handful of local races in the A class in the late 90's and didn't do well. I was going to college and working part time. I just decided to forget it and ride for fun.

Now 15 years later, I'm held to the same standard as the GOAT and a world champion. ....guys who didn't go to college and instead dedicated their life to being a professional athlete......... Makes since to me.
7/31/2013 7:09pm
dcg141 wrote:
If there is a split in the age class I ride A now. Have every since I got 6th in Vet B/C in 92. Hare scrambles...
dboivin wrote:
^^^ this guy gets it. just because someone rode pro (at any level), they shouldn't be able to come back and ride the vet classes??? thats...
^^^ this guy gets it.

just because someone rode pro (at any level), they shouldn't be able to come back and ride the vet classes??? thats retarded and I'm not totally surprised about all the whining i guess...it is vital.

and for the guys counting down the days til the next age class so it gets easier...I used to do that too. all the fast guys keep coming back at that next age group also you know, lol. Wink

I wish they would get rid of A/B/C stuff altogether but that would probably cut participation and lots of money making.
But as they get older their ambition to drive halfway across the country to risk their lives goes down a lot. I just have to maintain my slow and steady pace and I think the herd will be thinner in 3 years, 4 months and 25 days
CamP
7/31/2013 9:14pm
dcg141 wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
We raced there from '91-'97. His first year in the +30 A was the same as yours, '93. Looking back at the vault jogs my memory...

dcg141 wrote:
Wow...your dad finished right in front of me in the first moto in 30+ B/C in 92. He got 4th overall and I got 6th that...
Wow...your dad finished right in front of me in the first moto in 30+ B/C in 92. He got 4th overall and I got 6th that year. Small world. I see we both got smoked in Vet A.
At 58 years young, Shawn's dad still gets around the track at a good clip.

Post a reply to: LL's Vet 30B/C

The Latest