LL stock class question

aedwards07
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 12:55am
I have some questions on the stock class rules at LL for this year.Who do I contact for some rule clairification?
|
flarider
7/9/2009 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:50am
http://www.amadirectlink.com/...ss_Approval_List.htm

http://www.amadirectlink.com/.../2009_MX_Stk_FAQ.pdf

http://mxsports.com/pages/rules/stock-class-information

Per the 2009 AMA Racing Rulebook Chapter 1, Section 1.2, Paragraph B (pages 11-12): Stock Class Additional Equipment Standards:

1. To be eligible for the STOCK CLASS, the following cannot be changed or modified:

a. Air box frame, carburetor (jetting changes allowed), rim size, electronics, stroke, exhaust system, swing arm, internal engine components, wheel hubs

b. Cylinder re-plating is allowed but must retain the original manufacturers bore.

c. Changes to carburetor jetting are allowed.

d. Clutch plates, pistons and piston rings may be accessory items as long as they maintain the stock shape, design and material of the OEM parts.

e. High compression pistons are not allowed.

f. All other internal engine components must be stock OEM parts.

g. Material may be added to the existing frame for strength, including welding. These changes shall not affect frame geometry.

h. OEM front and rear suspension can be altered with internal modifications only. Shock linkage and suspension spring rates may be changed to any commercially available part.

2. To be eligible for stock classes in oil injection systems used in stock classes, only oil may be put in the reservoir. Pre mix gasoline is not allowed in the oil injection system. Any items not listed above may be changed or modified.

Violations of the stock class rules as determined by the protest process or by the referee of the event will result in a disqualification from the event. A second violation of the stock class rules will result in a disqualification from the event and a suspension from AMA competition for one year. However, if a violation is deemed by the referee to be cosmetic in nature, with no performance advantage or willful misconduct involved, he may issue a warning or fine in lieu of disqualification.

In addition to the above AMA Stock Rule, the following apply to the Stock classes for the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship:

1. Parts/components that may be replaced or added include but are not limited to: fuel filters, air filters, gas line, handlebars, crossbar pads, non-metal open ended hand guards, serrated foot pegs, lower fork leg protectors, spokes and nipples, decals, spark plugs, spark plug caps, sprockets, handlebar mounts, seat covers, triple clamps.

2. The kill switch on all 51cc automatic machines must be stock and fully functioning.

3. Class 18: Oil injection systems must be present and fully functioning. Only oil may be put in the reservoir. Pre mix gasoline is not allowed in the oil injection system.

4. Removal of gaskets, O-rings or other components is NOT allowed. Port cleanup is NOT allowed.

5. Aftermarket front fork hole shot devices are NOT permitted.

6. Metal hand guards are NOT permitted.

7. Rims can be replaced with OEM or aftermarket rims of the same size and width.

aedwards07
7/9/2009 5:16pm
Yea I read those already.Trying to build a bike thinking out of the box.I have some mods that I want to do that they do not mention anywhere in there.

The Shop

aedwards07
7/9/2009 5:33pm
Got the phone number.I was looking on the site for a good hour and must have looked at it 5 times and didnt even notice it.Thanks tho.
7/9/2009 6:12pm
Don't plan on holeshotting if you follow the rules....and everyone knows the start at LL's is 90% of the race.......which is 50% mental.
7/9/2009 8:01pm
aedwards07 wrote:
Yea I read those already.Trying to build a bike thinking out of the box.I have some mods that I want to do that they do not...
Yea I read those already.Trying to build a bike thinking out of the box.I have some mods that I want to do that they do not mention anywhere in there.
Stock is stock I think if your trying to build a bike with mods It wont be allowed because it has to be available to everyone else and I think it takes a certain amount of bikes for it to be legal.
flarider
7/9/2009 8:09pm
Trust me, "stock" bikes are "built" for LL's

BTW, if or when you call MXSports, chances are they'll say unless it's listed, it's not legal, so then the question is, "can it be proven?"

Top of my head I can think of a half dozen things that can be done that is not TECHNICALLY stock, as in out of the crate stock, but can be done and can't be proven.
7/9/2009 8:24pm
flarider wrote:
Trust me, "stock" bikes are "built" for LL's BTW, if or when you call MXSports, chances are they'll say unless it's listed, it's not legal, so...

BTW, if or when you call MXSports, chances are they'll say unless it's listed, it's not legal, so then the question is, "can it be proven?"

Top of my head I can think of a half dozen things that can be done that is not TECHNICALLY stock, as in out of the crate stock, but can be done and can't be proven.
I am curious on what things? Tell tell I would like to hear the secrets.
racin mason
7/9/2009 8:52pm
I have talked to a few people regarding stock bikes at LL.More effort is put into building stock bikes than the mod bikes,In the 2 stroke days cylinders were done to the exact stock dimensions,cranks are balanced,every part is weighed and measured.Every thing is gone thru to make sure it is perfect and at the precise stock deminsion.Several stock pipes are dynoed to see wich one may put out the most power.No stone is left unturned.
sakana
7/9/2009 9:09pm
flarider wrote:
Trust me, "stock" bikes are "built" for LL's BTW, if or when you call MXSports, chances are they'll say unless it's listed, it's not legal, so...

minidad160 wrote:
I am curious on what things? Tell tell I would like to hear the secrets.

In the day of two strokes, there was always that occasional stock bike that was a rocket ship. Could actually compete with worked over bikes. How? Things kind of fell into place off the production assembly line. Had a little more compression, timing was perfect, crank was free and balanced, cases were true and sealed well, cyl ports were a little cleaner/matched, etc.
Find out what there measuring and how, what the allowable specifications are, and see how close your motor is.
Another way is to buy several stock motors, have them dynoed, pick the best one and sell the rest. Sound crazy? Seen it done in midget racing divisions where you had to run a sealed motor.
These advantages can help tremendously in other forms of racing, but in MX????
I think in MX you are better off making sure your STOCK bike is properly jetted, fresh/correct tires, well suspended and running to its full potential, and your kid [or who ever you are helping] is in shape, and has in his mind that he can and should win this race!
Do not let your kid think for a second that he can't win, because his bike is not good enough!
Kenney Roberts once said, it is better to have the wrong tires and think you have the right tires, than it is to have the right tires and think you have the wrong tires.
We all have seen someone out there with inferior equipment put it to the rest of them, and others that had the best stink it up.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder what was the biggest advantage the guy with the inferior equipment had over the rest?
Doug S

lumpy790
7/10/2009 8:55am
One Team Green 80 riders dad told me the 1st thing he would do when he hit Lorettas was go the the Team Green truck and open and inspect all of the cylinders they had.......he ran the one that looked the best.
SIMX
7/10/2009 9:20am

Wasn't "stockified" the buzz word last year?
aedwards07
7/10/2009 9:31am
As for modifications that are in question it would be things that lighten rotating mass,produce less friction and just make it run better.
partialperson
7/10/2009 9:34am
You will be far better off to take what you have, make sure it's dependable enough to stand the long motos and enjoy your week of amateur motocross bliss. The most important part of the formula is having a rider with his head on straight. Keep it fun, don't go adding a bunch of stress over the little things. Take the time to go watch some motos, converse with your kid and make some long lasting memories. Very few get the chance to spend a week with their kid doing something together they both have a passion for. You made the show and it's invitation only, that's a big deal in a nutshell.
aedwards07
7/10/2009 9:39am
Ok well just got off the phone with Mx Sports.She wasnt clear on a few things so she said to call Kip with the AMA.So if you have any questions on mods just call Kip at 1800-262-5646
LIVEWIRE
7/10/2009 9:44am
You will be far better off to take what you have, make sure it's dependable enough to stand the long motos and enjoy your week of...
You will be far better off to take what you have, make sure it's dependable enough to stand the long motos and enjoy your week of amateur motocross bliss. The most important part of the formula is having a rider with his head on straight. Keep it fun, don't go adding a bunch of stress over the little things. Take the time to go watch some motos, converse with your kid and make some long lasting memories. Very few get the chance to spend a week with their kid doing something together they both have a passion for. You made the show and it's invitation only, that's a big deal in a nutshell.
Well said,

Thats what I am going do do. This may be the last vacation with my 16 yr old before he dont want to hang with the old man any more.

partialperson
7/10/2009 9:59am
If you decide to bend the rules don't tell anyone anything. One year one of the KTM 125 dad's was telling another that they had broken a gear in the transmission, there were none available in U.S. so they welded the gear. Another dad overheard the conversation and specifically protested the transmission modification and won the protest. when you stated engine lightening the engine rotating mass etc. you gave specifics. Specifics are what wins protests. Asking questions on here has already thrown up a red flag.
SIMX
7/10/2009 10:08am
If you decide to bend the rules don't tell anyone anything. One year one of the KTM 125 dad's was telling another that they had broken...
If you decide to bend the rules don't tell anyone anything. One year one of the KTM 125 dad's was telling another that they had broken a gear in the transmission, there were none available in U.S. so they welded the gear. Another dad overheard the conversation and specifically protested the transmission modification and won the protest. when you stated engine lightening the engine rotating mass etc. you gave specifics. Specifics are what wins protests. Asking questions on here has already thrown up a red flag.

How many people do you think right now are going through the Regional results looking for Edwards... Kissimmee Florida... Class... bike... number...

OK, got that...Print specifics from Vital MX... "modifications that are in question it would be things that lighten rotating mass,produce less friction and just make it run better."

Your kid, beat my kid...protest...proof...busted!

In a few weeks someone is going to come armed at Loretta's!
rocrac
7/10/2009 10:52am
You will be far better off to take what you have, make sure it's dependable enough to stand the long motos and enjoy your week of...
very well said.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
7/10/2009 12:26pm
That is great advice.
7/10/2009 1:04pm
If you decide to bend the rules don't tell anyone anything. One year one of the KTM 125 dad's was telling another that they had broken...
SIMX wrote:
How many people do you think right now are going through the Regional results looking for Edwards... Kissimmee Florida... Class... bike... number... OK, got that...Print specifics...

How many people do you think right now are going through the Regional results looking for Edwards... Kissimmee Florida... Class... bike... number...

OK, got that...Print specifics from Vital MX... "modifications that are in question it would be things that lighten rotating mass,produce less friction and just make it run better."

Do you think the sandbaggers also cheat or would it be too risky to double dip[?
flarider
7/10/2009 1:11pm
Listen to partialperson.
I have seen many a rider choke at LL's...rider's who were considered favorites to win or podium just meltdown.

As for mods, on two strokes, I have SEEN OEM sponsored riders engine builders receive boxes of heads, cylinders and pipes in order to play "mix and match" on the track or dyno...and yes, it makes a difference because castings vary
None of those are numbered so there's no way of knowing if it came out of the crate on that bike or not.

So think about all the little parts that involved engine operation that are not numbered and with a little mix and matching....

flarider
7/10/2009 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
Do you think the sandbaggers also cheat or would it be too risky to double dip[?
IMO and experience, top riders don't cheat (by the definition of the rules)

Mike Alessi was protested a zillion times and never caught cheating

Jeff got caught once by removing the backfire screen and they claimed it was a mistake by the mechanic

Top guys rarely get busted for cheating

and catching a cheater by teardown is tough because you MUST SPECIFY EXACTLY WHAT IS MODIFIED AT THE TIME OF THE PROTEST, before the teardown.

Now, if you have a piece of sponge in your brake pedal.....LOL

mudkipz
7/10/2009 5:58pm
austin stroupe was protested for running a brake pedal saver cable on his yz85 in the stock class and lost or maybe it was a piece of foam
aedwards07
7/10/2009 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
SIMX wrote:
How many people do you think right now are going through the Regional results looking for Edwards... Kissimmee Florida... Class... bike... number... OK, got that...Print specifics...

Good luck finding Edwards for me in any regional.Heck even a race this year.Had a broken femur since last august.You will see me there and not even close to racing.Ill be the one hobbling around the pits.haha.If you find me in there let me know and I will race for sure.It was always a goal of mine to do it.

And there is plenty of ways to reduce weight and friction while still staying by the rules 100%.Think outside the box really back to the basics on how things work.If anyone wants to protest the bike go right ahead.I will give you the riders bike number,classes,etc if you would like.Heck ill throw in an extra $200 if you can win the protest.It will be a legal bike and im sure it wont be the fastest out there with all the mod bikes in the stock class.

I bet a solid 50% of the bikes in 20th place back arent "stock'.
ASH510
7/10/2009 7:54pm
is doing LL's worth the effort?
i have thought about it but never tried.
i have qualified several times just never went.
so is it worth the effort time $$$$$ and all the
other stuff that goes with it?
aedwards07
7/10/2009 8:08pm
ASH510 wrote:
is doing LL's worth the effort? i have thought about it but never tried. i have qualified several times just never went. so is it worth...
If you can win then yea I think it is worth it.If you really cant afford to go then no its really not I dont think.Dont get me wrong its a great time and all but its alot of $$$.
flarider
7/10/2009 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
ASH510 wrote:
is doing LL's worth the effort? i have thought about it but never tried. i have qualified several times just never went. so is it worth...
It's obviously a matter of personal choice and finance.

Would you like to be able to say that you are one of the top 40 MX racers in (whatever) class?

Would you like to be able to tell that to your kids?

Also, the experience is one of those "gotta do's" for any hardcore MX person.

Spending a week at a track watching racing everyday from 7:30am to 6pm, non-stop (except for a 1/2 hr lunch)

Watching not only the best amateurs in today's sport, but tomorrow's future Carmichael's, Stewarts, Villopoto's Alessi's and more....Barcia raced it last year

If you really want to know about the future of MX, you go to LL's

Post a reply to: LL stock class question

The Latest