LEIB - MXON - GOFUND ME

Leib61
Edited Date/Time 9/13/2015 2:48pm
Hey everyone,

As you all know, 2015 has been an incredibly difficult one and it has been great to finally get back to riding and training. 1 week ago I got an invitation to go race for Puerto Rico MXON team. This is an opportunity many people would kill for and something that few people get to attend as I am sure most of you know. The difficult part of this, I have a lot of travel expenses that will be my personal responsibility for this trip and quite honestly, I just I just simply can not afford it and will do whatever it takes to make this dream come true.

I thank you all for reading this and whether it be a simple good luck in France wish or a small donation, it means a lot to me. The link is posted below.

http://www.gofundme.com/beleibmxofnations?utm_source=internal&utm_mediu…

Thank you,
-Michael Leib
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/4/2015 8:14pm
I see you have a great start. I wish you the best of luck, bro.
Julian
9/5/2015 3:11am
I too wish you good luck in the new season,,,

but not quite sure why Americans should be interested in supporting a rider from another nation that is competing against the USA

would that not be like a rider from Holland asking the Belgian fans to support him because Holland is one of the three Benelux countries ?

Am I missing something ?
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
9/5/2015 4:23am
Julian wrote:
I too wish you good luck in the new season,,, but not quite sure why Americans should be interested in supporting a rider from another nation...

but not quite sure why Americans should be interested in supporting a rider from another nation that is competing against the USA

would that not be like a rider from Holland asking the Belgian fans to support him because Holland is one of the three Benelux countries ?

Am I missing something ?
Yes you're missing a lot.
9/5/2015 4:28am
Julian wrote:
I too wish you good luck in the new season,,, but not quite sure why Americans should be interested in supporting a rider from another nation...

Am I missing something ?
Human nature, to help others in need. Also its what we motocrossers are like, if it means someone can ride we all chip in.

Imagine having the chance to ride the mxon but possibly not b able to get there, what a bummer.

The Shop

MJC
9/5/2015 4:35am
Good luck with it and I hope you do well at MXdN.
However, I think people would prefer a raffle or something similar to give you money. Signed Jersey or training day?? I dunno.
Also and not a slight towards you, but US to Puerto Rico..... I'd feel a bit funny about an Aussie representing Norfolk Is or a Frenchie to New Caledonia. But then again, my knowledge of sovereignty is probably way off.
Nevertheless, best of luck
Julian
9/5/2015 4:53am
MJC has maybe a point, I remember when there were riders who were not from LUXEMBOURG but who were riding with licenses from that country, maybe Billy Liles ??

It just seems to go against the point ---- of having nations compete against other nations if the riders are not even from that nation....

If Puerto Rico is actually a nation, then the riders should just simply be Puerto Rican otherwise the whole concept of the MXDN which means motocross of the nations would just start to unravel
DC
9/5/2015 6:20am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 6:21am
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and uses U.S. passports, so technically they can allow Americans to race for them since they use the same passport. And over the years, many, many Americans have lined up for our neighbors, guys that would probably never be selected for Team USA, like Jimmy Albertson, Phil Nicoletti, Kyle Regal, Zach Osborne, Alex Martin, etc.

Back in the day the French basically had two teams: the actual French team and one from Andorra, which is a tiny "tax shelter" up in the mountains near Spain. JMB told Eric Johnson this for his recent "The Invasion of France" story"

"There were two French teams at the race—Andorra is in France but it has its own republic (like Puerto Rico and the U.S.). My brother Christian was on the Andorra team..."

I am stoked that Michael gets to race, and I think I would do the exact same thing!

DC
MX Sports
DPR250R
9/5/2015 6:23am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 6:23am
Good luck man... Will be watching and cheering for you!
kkawboy14
9/5/2015 8:17am
DC wrote:
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and uses U.S. passports, so technically they can allow Americans to race for them since they use the same passport...
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and uses U.S. passports, so technically they can allow Americans to race for them since they use the same passport. And over the years, many, many Americans have lined up for our neighbors, guys that would probably never be selected for Team USA, like Jimmy Albertson, Phil Nicoletti, Kyle Regal, Zach Osborne, Alex Martin, etc.

Back in the day the French basically had two teams: the actual French team and one from Andorra, which is a tiny "tax shelter" up in the mountains near Spain. JMB told Eric Johnson this for his recent "The Invasion of France" story"

"There were two French teams at the race—Andorra is in France but it has its own republic (like Puerto Rico and the U.S.). My brother Christian was on the Andorra team..."

I am stoked that Michael gets to race, and I think I would do the exact same thing!

DC
MX Sports
People don't realize here that you and your family would be 1 of the first to donate to his gofundme account. You also would never say that you did, in a forum, for that you get big props from me!
mjskier
9/5/2015 8:46am
DC, Andorra isn't quite French. It is kind of like a "Joint Venture" between Spain and France.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andorra

Beautiful place to visit, and the road from the south of France is awesome (doubly so on a motorcycle
like this guy shows)

Great skiing too. And you can (could?) buy duty free alcohol and tobacco.
DC
9/5/2015 8:59am
mjskier, I knew there was something weird about it... Back in the day that's where Donny Schmit and Bob Moore banked their money while racing in GPs because it was more expensive to pay taxes in the countries they were living in. I think Georges Jobe did the same thing, and didn't Stefan Everts move to Monaco at one point?

DC
MX Sports
TeamGreen
9/5/2015 9:56am
Micheal was invited to race for Puerto Rico; but, there's virtually NO FUNDING from PR. It really is an American "B" Team.

Micheal's scraping together the $ to go.
I'm contributing.
Dixon's supplying the bike.

Know this: I -WILL NOT- penalize Micheal simply 'cause he's Don's kid.
If it was your kid, & you're a black-listed persona-non-grata, I'd help your kid, too.

Know this II: if Jeff ALESSI shows us that he's "still got it"...
I'll help him, too.

I love racing, I love these kids & these opportunities to help a fellow racer make me feel pretty fuckin' stoked...
There's a name for this:
Sharing the Stoke

Besides, I got to where I'm at due to the tolerance, patience, guidance, continual-forgiveness and the help of so many people.

Pay it forward.

Still Stoked!

Manny

Underdog999
9/5/2015 10:02am
TeamGreen wrote:
Micheal was invited to race for Puerto Rico; but, there's virtually NO FUNDING from PR. It really is an American "B" Team. Micheal's scraping together the...
Micheal was invited to race for Puerto Rico; but, there's virtually NO FUNDING from PR. It really is an American "B" Team.

I'm contributing.

If it was your kid, & you're a black-listed persona-non-grata, I'd help your kid, too.

I'll help him, too.

I love racing, I love these kids & these opportunities to help a fellow racer make me feel pretty fuckin' stoked...
There's a name for this:
Sharing the Stoke

Besides, I got to where I'm at due to the tolerance, patience, guidance, continual-forgiveness and the help of so many people.

Pay it forward.

Still Stoked!

Manny

Know this lll: His name is Michael.
TeamGreen
9/5/2015 10:05am
TeamGreen wrote:
Micheal was invited to race for Puerto Rico; but, there's virtually NO FUNDING from PR. It really is an American "B" Team. Micheal's scraping together the...

I'm contributing.

I'll help him, too.

There's a name for this:
Sharing the Stoke

Pay it forward.

Still Stoked!

Manny

Know this lll: His name is Michael.
IPhone changes it on me...

But, from here on I think I'm going to call him Meeeeshell like he's French!
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
9/5/2015 10:09am
DC wrote:
mjskier, I knew there was something weird about it... Back in the day that's where Donny Schmit and Bob Moore banked their money while racing in...
mjskier, I knew there was something weird about it... Back in the day that's where Donny Schmit and Bob Moore banked their money while racing in GPs because it was more expensive to pay taxes in the countries they were living in. I think Georges Jobe did the same thing, and didn't Stefan Everts move to Monaco at one point?

DC
MX Sports
Monaco it was for Stefan...
9/5/2015 10:09am
I wish he would set up a PayPal so he could get keep all the proceeds instead of giving 8% to gofundme.
Hut
9/5/2015 10:11am
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm contributing.

I'll help him, too.

There's a name for this:
Sharing the Stoke

Pay it forward.

Still Stoked!

Manny

That's cool you are involved and give more than lip service Broseph.
I have my own priorities but I do wish him well in his efforts.
TeamGreen
9/5/2015 10:13am
I wish he would set up a PayPal so he could get keep all the proceeds instead of giving 8% to gofundme.
Nice!

Msg sent
mjskier
9/5/2015 10:51am
DC wrote:
mjskier, I knew there was something weird about it... Back in the day that's where Donny Schmit and Bob Moore banked their money while racing in...

DC
MX Sports
avidchimp wrote:
Monaco it was for Stefan...
Yes, a lot of European top athletes make Monaco their official residence. Can't say I blame them when tax rates sometime reach 75% on top earners.
Andorra probably serves the same purpose for Spanish speakers. Mac Marquez moved there last year.
http://gpxtra.com/2014/12/08/marc-marquez-is-moving-to-andorra/
Sawfish
9/5/2015 11:10am
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice!

Msg sent
As far as I know, the only way for him to be able to keep the money raised on gofundme is for the goal to be met.
9/5/2015 11:20am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 11:23am
Well it's just GOFUNDME offers the ability for many to See. This is great for a kid with cancer that needs millions. Not so great for mx riders because they're still payng a big premium on a service and they're likely not to raise an obscene amount of money where the 8% fee doesn't matter.

Nobody cares about motocross. Except us in the sport. So why pay for advertising on gofundme when we can get him just as much money (without taxing him 8% in fees) with a website campaign and gifting through PayPal. Or sending checks snail mail to his mailbox.

Politicians don't yse godfundme. Then they would have to give money to gofundme. They don't want to do that ! Use every penny for yourself If you can raise it.
yamahuh
9/5/2015 12:14pm
I agree with the raffle strategy, possibly get a dealer involved and raffle a new bike, gear, etc. The excess goes towards funding the travel expenses. It needs to be something the average rider can appreciate and possibly benefit from; otherwise focus on industry only contacts and being a Pro that shouldn't be difficult to arrange trip costs.
Just asking for donations to an account is little lame IMO. Accidents are one thing, but funding a wish list is different.

If this is the same guy that tangled with Rhino I'll donate just because it's the thing to do!

Yamahuh

yak651
Fantasy
214th
9/5/2015 3:47pm
yamahuh wrote:
I agree with the raffle strategy, possibly get a dealer involved and raffle a new bike, gear, etc. The excess goes towards funding the travel expenses...
I agree with the raffle strategy, possibly get a dealer involved and raffle a new bike, gear, etc. The excess goes towards funding the travel expenses. It needs to be something the average rider can appreciate and possibly benefit from; otherwise focus on industry only contacts and being a Pro that shouldn't be difficult to arrange trip costs.
Just asking for donations to an account is little lame IMO. Accidents are one thing, but funding a wish list is different.

If this is the same guy that tangled with Rhino I'll donate just because it's the thing to do!

Yamahuh

Yep, try to talk his dad into raffleing off some exhaust, i'm sure some vitards would be in for the chance to try a new rocket exhaust for $10-20.
mxb2
9/5/2015 5:54pm
How about ,,sell sticker sheets $20, t shirt $30, signed jersey $100. should be able to make a profit. What happens to the $$ if he does not go?
KB221
9/5/2015 6:13pm
I see what you did there Mr. Villipoto nice work.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
9/6/2015 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2015 2:18pm
DC wrote:
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and uses U.S. passports, so technically they can allow Americans to race for them since they use the same passport...

DC
MX Sports
What a bunch of rubbish.

Its nothing but cheating.

Riders should only be able to race for the country they are from, not a technicality.

The des nations was formed to be nation vs nation, not nation vs technicality.

You know its rubbish DC. You know if you came from a country that was not the USA, you would 100% not support this, and its NOT in the spirit of the sport of fair competition that this should happen.

You just don't want to annoy anyone on the bandwagon.

(Just to be clear- I have nothing against ML and his funding etc - just not a fan of USA sending 2 teams all the time [1/3 of a team this time] under the guise of PR)
DC
9/6/2015 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2015 2:04pm
I don't really know anyone in Puerto Rico to annoy, motokiwi, I just find it interesting and I don't blame them for going... Or care.

DC
MX Sports
mb60
9/6/2015 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2015 2:08pm
I'm one of the few on here is disagree with this also. Nothing against Michael Lieb at all but sending 2 riders to ride the mxdn with no chance of winning is kind of spare to me. If Puerto Rico is truly part of the States do it right by sending a team that can compete.
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
9/6/2015 2:15pm
The guy stops by here only to sell something or ask for money. Zero participation any other time. yeh, let me get my check book!

Post a reply to: LEIB - MXON - GOFUND ME

The Latest