Kyle Partridge--new fan

G-man
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 3:29pm
Wow, major props to Kyle for laying it all on the line....
Not getting paid a SALARY, yet still competing against the World's Best SX Riders.

Something is extremely wrong with this
scenario and guys like him deserve so much more.

Check it:
Partridge

|
KTMShane699
1/23/2015 8:01am
G-man wrote:
Wow, major props to Kyle for laying it all on the line.... Not getting paid a SALARY, yet still competing against the World's Best SX Riders...
Wow, major props to Kyle for laying it all on the line....
Not getting paid a SALARY, yet still competing against the World's Best SX Riders.

Something is extremely wrong with this
scenario and guys like him deserve so much more.

Check it:
Partridge

Sounds like a good, down to earth guy. But the guy scored one point in two out of three rounds. It's a great accomplishment by most standards. But that being said, how much should a guy like this get paid? The team takes care of his equipment and travel expenses including lodging. That alone is a considerable expense. So throw a salary on top of that and it gets to the point where there's no return on the investment which is what most sponsorship is about.

Given that he doesn't have to pay for his equipment and expenses, I'd say that's considerable compensation for someone at the back of the pack (of s very stacked field) and that hasn't made every main.

Think in terms of total compensation....not just salary in the bank.

Shane

And I realize my opinion will be among the less popular...
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
1/23/2015 8:35am
You realize he is making over 2K from the ama right? Probably more when he is in the main.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
1/23/2015 8:37am
Sorry $2135 for 20th and it goes up from there. $1415 for 22nd. I would imagine that is close to or better than what he would be making at a regular 9-5. Not to mention he has a sick ass bike and a pretty good team behind him. This is a great opportunity for Kyle!
BRIT317
1/23/2015 8:50am
Yup Kyle Partridge is awesome! I go see him every race in socal. He even comes out of his pit and sits on the ground to talk to me (cuz he's so tall haha). Hope he can pull another main at Oakland and every race after, he works hard and will continue to build and improve. Had some bad crashes at A2 unfortunately. Go get em Kyle!

The Shop

G-man
1/23/2015 8:59am
So when he wads up trying to make the main and is risking his life to pay the bills and keep a roof over his head for his family, it's ok cuz he "has a sick ass bike"? Dizzy
friday10
1/23/2015 9:03am
jhansen510 wrote:
Sorry $2135 for 20th and it goes up from there. $1415 for 22nd. I would imagine that is close to or better than what he would...
Sorry $2135 for 20th and it goes up from there. $1415 for 22nd. I would imagine that is close to or better than what he would be making at a regular 9-5. Not to mention he has a sick ass bike and a pretty good team behind him. This is a great opportunity for Kyle!
So, if he makes the main every week, ( hopefully!) and finishes decently, (maybe he makes $3,000 a week?) for 17 weeks, That's $51,000.00, MAYBE!!! Sorry, but for a sports professional like Kyle, that BLOWS!! God bless him for doing what he loves, it's the guys like him that make the races even possible. I've had the opportunity to watch Kyle race quite a bit at local Arenacross races,
(Taft, Reno etc.) where he probably made more money than racing supercross.
friday10
1/23/2015 9:03am
G-man wrote:
So when he wads up trying to make the main and is risking his life to pay the bills and keep a roof over his head...
So when he wads up trying to make the main and is risking his life to pay the bills and keep a roof over his head for his family, it's ok cuz he "has a sick ass bike"? Dizzy
Smile
KTMShane699
1/23/2015 9:05am
G-man wrote:
So when he wads up trying to make the main and is risking his life to pay the bills and keep a roof over his head...
Where does this "risking their life" argument come from? I see it all the time. What are the fatality statistics for professional motocross and supercross? I'd love to see them.

Now take that out of the equation, and nobody is making him "risk his life." This is a decision that he chose to make knowing the return is small (if at all). Does that deserve special compensation? I'm inclined to think not.

People say these guys are risking their lives and should be paid more...but I haven't seen anyone pushing for higher pay for military members, police officers or firefighters who truly do risk their lives for others. Where people's priorities are never cease to amaze me.

I stand by his fair compensation in terms of what's given to him for where he finishes. Or would you rather he get a $100,000 salary and provide all of his own bikes and race expenses???

Shane
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
1/23/2015 9:10am
This was awesome!

Sandberm
1/23/2015 10:31am
jhansen510 wrote:
Sorry $2135 for 20th and it goes up from there. $1415 for 22nd. I would imagine that is close to or better than what he would...
Theres a lot missing here with your analysis.

First, Kyle has a unique skill set that not a lot of people have. So hes in a position as an athlete and entertainer to possibly make more then if he had a regular job.

Second, you saying he makes $2135 bucks for 20th in the main is true, but thats gross income. Despite having financial backing from a couple donors I'm sure he has other expenses related to his business as a racer and as well as saving some money for future investment in his business if need be.

Third. Risk of injury. If he gets hurt, he doesnt make any prize money. He needs to save a certain percentage of that 20th place money for downturns in his income due to mechanicals and injury.

Those points aside, I say hes still Living The Dream.
ridge
1/23/2015 10:59am
Where does this "risking their life" argument come from? I see it all the time. What are the fatality statistics for professional motocross and supercross? I'd...
Where does this "risking their life" argument come from? I see it all the time. What are the fatality statistics for professional motocross and supercross? I'd love to see them.

Now take that out of the equation, and nobody is making him "risk his life." This is a decision that he chose to make knowing the return is small (if at all). Does that deserve special compensation? I'm inclined to think not.

People say these guys are risking their lives and should be paid more...but I haven't seen anyone pushing for higher pay for military members, police officers or firefighters who truly do risk their lives for others. Where people's priorities are never cease to amaze me.

I stand by his fair compensation in terms of what's given to him for where he finishes. Or would you rather he get a $100,000 salary and provide all of his own bikes and race expenses???

Shane
You're right bro...motocross is less dangerous than baseball (and are paid accordingly).

You haven't seen anybody pushing for higher pay for military? You need to get out more.

What I do agree with is Kyle has it pretty good, but that's only comparing it to other pro racers who aren't getting their expenses paid. If you make the big show (SX mains), you should be making double what is being paid now.
KTMShane699
1/23/2015 11:29am
ridge wrote:
You're right bro...motocross is less dangerous than baseball (and are paid accordingly). You haven't seen anybody pushing for higher pay for military? You need to get...
You're right bro...motocross is less dangerous than baseball (and are paid accordingly).

You haven't seen anybody pushing for higher pay for military? You need to get out more.

What I do agree with is Kyle has it pretty good, but that's only comparing it to other pro racers who aren't getting their expenses paid. If you make the big show (SX mains), you should be making double what is being paid now.
I must have missed where baseball was brought into the discussion. But since you just decided to bring it in. Baseball players are way overpaid...as are many athletes in all sports. And since you brought it up, I'll give you that motocross and Supercross have a higher injury rate. Thanks for pointing out that obvious fact.

For the military, sure there are small groups that push for it. But it's not a large movement by any means. I get out plenty. No need to worry about that.

Until the riders demand more money, the promoters have zero incentive to provide it. The show is full of riders willing to do it for what's being offered. Until the riders get together and become a voice...nothing will change.

But I'd still say that having his equipment and travel provided for him amounts to a significant compensation package.

Shane
CCMX
1/23/2015 11:34am
I wonder what his amateur deal was with Suzuki, all the amateur races he'd have 6 or 8 brand new bikes.
ridge
1/23/2015 11:54am
ridge wrote:
You're right bro...motocross is less dangerous than baseball (and are paid accordingly). You haven't seen anybody pushing for higher pay for military? You need to get...

I must have missed where baseball was brought into the discussion. But since you just decided to bring it in. Baseball players are way overpaid...as are...
I must have missed where baseball was brought into the discussion. But since you just decided to bring it in. Baseball players are way overpaid...as are many athletes in all sports. And since you brought it up, I'll give you that motocross and Supercross have a higher injury rate. Thanks for pointing out that obvious fact.

For the military, sure there are small groups that push for it. But it's not a large movement by any means. I get out plenty. No need to worry about that.

Until the riders demand more money, the promoters have zero incentive to provide it. The show is full of riders willing to do it for what's being offered. Until the riders get together and become a voice...nothing will change.

But I'd still say that having his equipment and travel provided for him amounts to a significant compensation package.

Shane
"For the military, sure there are small groups that push for it. But it's not a large movement by any means."

And you're comparing this to the worldwide movement for motocross racers? Lol
Motoxdoc
1/23/2015 11:55am
jhansen510 wrote:
You realize he is making over 2K from the ama right? Probably more when he is in the main.
Do you realize that's not much money considering the dedication, time and effort required to make the main every weekend (that is IF he makes the main every weekend) and the bills he most likely has. $2K x 17 = $34,000.....that's not very much. Even if he does all the outdoors....what would that be?....$2K x 29 = $58,000. These guys are working a hell of a lot harder then most 9-5 jobs and they are risking life and limb most every time they throw a leg over the bike! Your statement makes it sound like you think Kyle is getting rich racing bikes. He would be equivalent to a lowly paid stick-and-ball-sport professional.....my guess is they make a hell of a lot more then Kyle is making with significantly less risk and better medical support. Racers with a passion for the sport like Kyle (which he obviously has, or we wouldn't see him out there) are the heart and soul of our sport. Now that this thread has been brought to my attention I'll have to make a point to say hi and give him props at A3!
hvaughn88
1/23/2015 11:59am
it's kind of pointless to be arguing about the danger aspect of moto and other sports, because athletes aren't paid based on the danger of the sport. They are paid based on asses in seats, eyes on TV's, and merchandise sold.
IWreckALot
1/23/2015 12:02pm
It's never good to compare sports. That's a circle jerk in itself. Very different market scale and budgets.

I would rather see the focus directed towards FELD and allowing the riders to be able to sell merchandise at races and find other ways for the riders to make money. I agree that there needs to be more purse for the guys that make the night show, but I don't see the purse growing to a large enough amount. It will never be large enough anyways.

I also don't like the risking their life argument either. Sure it's a dangerous job but it's not a life saving career like a police officer or fire fighter, and we are all aware of the salary going into the sport.
G-man
1/23/2015 1:36pm
IWreckALot wrote:
It's never good to compare sports. That's a circle jerk in itself. Very different market scale and budgets. I would rather see the focus directed towards...
It's never good to compare sports. That's a circle jerk in itself. Very different market scale and budgets.

I would rather see the focus directed towards FELD and allowing the riders to be able to sell merchandise at races and find other ways for the riders to make money. I agree that there needs to be more purse for the guys that make the night show, but I don't see the purse growing to a large enough amount. It will never be large enough anyways.

I also don't like the risking their life argument either. Sure it's a dangerous job but it's not a life saving career like a police officer or fire fighter, and we are all aware of the salary going into the sport.
And just as you said about racers knowing about their low salaries, police officers and firefighters know about their risks going in.

The MAJOR difference being, the chances of making a career and being set for retirement and providing for your family are drastically different.

I know some fireman who have done very well in life and have awesome work schedules.

Can't say the same for any pro racers I've personally known.

The percentage is much different and that cannot be argued.
Sixeightone
1/23/2015 3:02pm
Moral of the story is that you can't race money! Everyone wants to see the under dog win! it's that David vs Goliath feeling when a privateer pulls out an amazing night! But should they get paid more because they struggle more? You people are starting to sound like a bunch of democrats. Sounds like something obama needs to step in and give a handout too.. You struggle to get better at something! All these top pros didn't start making millions overnight. They have given up there lives and put down the results to show it. Just like in school, if you try your heart out even more than the smarter kids and still fail.. Well sorry you suck! I don't think that just because you're labeled as a privateer and you're struggling doesn't grant you a bigger paycheck!

Just my $.02

Johnboy
DanDunes818
1/23/2015 3:28pm
Kyle is a bad ass and can take a hard hit like no other. He popped right up after this gnarly one at A2. Photos by: Mark Lester

Titan1
1/23/2015 3:29pm
jhansen510 wrote:
Motoxdoc wrote:
Do you realize that's not much money considering the dedication, time and effort required to make the main every weekend (that is IF he makes the...
Do you realize that's not much money considering the dedication, time and effort required to make the main every weekend (that is IF he makes the main every weekend) and the bills he most likely has. $2K x 17 = $34,000.....that's not very much. Even if he does all the outdoors....what would that be?....$2K x 29 = $58,000. These guys are working a hell of a lot harder then most 9-5 jobs and they are risking life and limb most every time they throw a leg over the bike! Your statement makes it sound like you think Kyle is getting rich racing bikes. He would be equivalent to a lowly paid stick-and-ball-sport professional.....my guess is they make a hell of a lot more then Kyle is making with significantly less risk and better medical support. Racers with a passion for the sport like Kyle (which he obviously has, or we wouldn't see him out there) are the heart and soul of our sport. Now that this thread has been brought to my attention I'll have to make a point to say hi and give him props at A3!
That's not $34K/year...its $34K in 4 months...And if you add in the outdoors, he makes $92K between January and August. I'll bet you less than 5% of the people on this board make more than that between January and May. Even if he does work 50 hours per week with the training and travel...that's $57/hour (even if you project it out to a full year, at 50 hours/week hes still making $35/hour). My buddy is a self employed contractor...he only charges $40/hour (and has employee and other expenses). My brother is an under ground coal miner (I'd say that is equally as dangerous as racing dirt bikes) and he makes $28/hour-and works about 50/week.

All of that is assuming he isn't getting contingency or endorsement checks...and assuming he does nothing in the off season to make additional money...of course, its also assuming he finishes 20th in every main/moto (which may or may not happen).

Obviously he's underpaid...if he's the 20th best rider in the world, he absolutely deserves more than that.

But lets bring some perspective into the equation...he gets paid to ride dirt bikes! Yes its dangerous, yes it takes a lot of time....but all of us spend a ton of money to do what he not only does for free, but gets paid to do (and its still dangerous and takes a lot of time when you're paying your own way).

Post a reply to: Kyle Partridge--new fan

The Latest