Ktm or YZ 250?

jk367
Edited Date/Time 4/17/2015 1:47pm
Hi guys I'm brand new to vital so I'm sorry if this is the millionth time this has been asked. In your opinion what new two stroke is better and why. I'm having trouble deciding
|
liamjumper
4/16/2015 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 12:43pm
The YZ's have been the same bike since early 2000s. The KTM's have actually been using new technology on their 2 strokes. If you're going to buy a Yamaha, you might as well buy one thats 10 years old and spend a fraction of money on the same bike. If you're going to fork out the money to buy a new one, go with the KTM.
mxpappy711
4/16/2015 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 12:56pm
Jumper is correct. My son has 09 yz250, I have 12 SX 250. If you could ride them both blindfolded, I don't think you could tell them apart tho. Yz fork is better than my KTM (at least imo). Other than that, they are similiar I think the ktm is a copy of the yz. Can't go wrong with either but don't go older than 07 I think on YZ for best fork. I think it is called SSS, speed sensitive something or other. wouldn't go older than 09 on the ktm.

The Shop

ledger
4/16/2015 12:59pm
liamjumper wrote:
The YZ's have been the same bike since early 2000s. The KTM's have actually been using new technology on their 2 strokes. If you're going to...
The YZ's have been the same bike since early 2000s. The KTM's have actually been using new technology on their 2 strokes. If you're going to buy a Yamaha, you might as well buy one thats 10 years old and spend a fraction of money on the same bike. If you're going to fork out the money to buy a new one, go with the KTM.
I agree with this, I would give the KTM a shot. There is no shortage of YZ's if you don't click with the KTM.
liamjumper
4/16/2015 1:00pm
mxpappy711 wrote:
Jumper is correct. My son has 09 yz250, I have 12 SX 250. If you could ride them both blindfolded, I don't think you could tell...
Jumper is correct. My son has 09 yz250, I have 12 SX 250. If you could ride them both blindfolded, I don't think you could tell them apart tho. Yz fork is better than my KTM (at least imo). Other than that, they are similiar I think the ktm is a copy of the yz. Can't go wrong with either but don't go older than 07 I think on YZ for best fork. I think it is called SSS, speed sensitive something or other. wouldn't go older than 09 on the ktm.
Funny you say not to go older than 2009 on the KTM because it's very true. I had a 2008 SX144 and it was the worst bike I've ever owned. 2 Clutches, 6 top ends, and 2 bottom ends in one riding season. But I know they have stepped up their game since then.
Motofinne
4/16/2015 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 1:05pm
Just support the company that actually cares about 2-strokes and invests R&D money in 2-strokes. KTM is in my opinion the only way to go if you want a new 2-stroke(or somewhat new).

Edit: Or TM
cslacker
4/16/2015 1:07pm
IMO...

I really think that MXA gave the YZ the win on this to reward their body panel updates and encourage them to update the bike in the future. The KTM has won the shootout for the past 5 years and now with plastic changes alone the Yamaha wins? Also MXA states that the KTM will be getting "big changes" in 2016 so they will most likely win again next year.

Since there are only 2 dogs in this show it just feels like MXA was trying to throw Yamaha a bone here...
mxpappy711
4/16/2015 1:14pm
mxpappy711 wrote:
Jumper is correct. My son has 09 yz250, I have 12 SX 250. If you could ride them both blindfolded, I don't think you could tell...
liamjumper wrote:
Funny you say not to go older than 2009 on the KTM because it's very true. I had a 2008 SX144 and it was the worst...
Funny you say not to go older than 2009 on the KTM because it's very true. I had a 2008 SX144 and it was the worst bike I've ever owned. 2 Clutches, 6 top ends, and 2 bottom ends in one riding season. But I know they have stepped up their game since then.
Yeah, I had an 05 and treid to like it for a year, never could gel with it. Sold it for a thumper and hated that too. I owned the yz before my son and ride trails mostly so always plan for a revalve but the yz did not need it. Worked great for me from MX to Hare Scrambles. They are usually cheaper (YZ) but I got a deal on the KTM so keep your eyes open. I had the fork re valved and I am liking it a lot. With the KTM, they changed their frame every other year it seems like so one or two years can mess you up i think. I am no expert but my 12SX is an awesome bike.
baisleyde
4/16/2015 1:35pm
liamjumper wrote:
The YZ's have been the same bike since early 2000s. The KTM's have actually been using new technology on their 2 strokes. If you're going to...
What is this new technology that you speak of ? They are both carburated 2-strokes. Not exactly cutting edge stuff
Moto520
4/16/2015 1:41pm
I've had both....go with the KTM. It handles better, the motor is stronger, and the clutch/ brakes are awesome. The suspension is not as good as the YZ but send the KTM suspension away and it gets close. For me...the handling is much better on the KTM.
4/16/2015 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 1:52pm
BLUE! The YZ might just be the current "BEST VALUE" in dirt bikes.

It's been the engine every two 250 has tried to copy since 1999. Suzuki basically copied the top end in about 2004. KTM has been changing / developing their bike to beat it for 15 years, and they are just now getting close.

KTM keeps updating their bike to try and build a bike that's better than the YZ250. The haven't "changed technology", they are just trying to build a better YZ. There isn't any new " technology" in the KTM.

Yamaha is smart enough to not mess with a good thing. They have refined the bike over the years, but they haven't changed the things that work, just for the sake of selling you a new bike. As they find better things they upgrade it. Like the new suspension this year.

The plastic got updated too because styles have changed and it still needs to be appealing on the show room.

But, they didn't change the motor for the last couple of years because IT FREAK'N WORKS.
dedi684
4/16/2015 1:55pm
I had 4 yz 250's and now a ktm 250. Go with ktm
mxtech1
4/16/2015 1:56pm
mxpappy711 wrote:
SSS was released in 2006
hylo
4/16/2015 2:02pm
The KTM's has more HP (even though you do need to get a pipe/silencer-combo to get some overrev and bottom) better brakes, a sweet hydraulic clutch (no more adjusting your clutchlever), has a more up-to-date chassis and it's generally good bike. It's easy to tailor into your liking. It's a well documented bike with lot's of options and new technology.
The stock jetting is terrible, so the first thing you'll need to do is re-jet it.

The Yamaha's are cheaper, better suspended and some people think they handle better. It's tested and tested again and people dig the YZ250. It works. It's almost like that old labrador your parents had when you were young. Kind, simple and plain fun.

IMHO I'd go for the KTM. I don't care much for Ktm as a brand, since so many people are riding them, but you can't deny the fact that they're awesome bikes.

Oh, wait. I already own a SX250.
Moto520
4/16/2015 2:05pm
What is the hot setup for jetting on a 2015 KTM250SX? Mine burbles on the bottom. Anyone know?
hylo
4/16/2015 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 2:14pm
2015 SX250/TC250 thread

There's a lot of useful info there.

Here's my jetting specs:
Pilot: 40
Main:160
Needle: NECJ (from a Suzuki rm 2008)
Clip: 4 from top
Air screw: 1 3/4 out.

Temp is around 10 degrees celcius around here. Using pro circuit pipe and shorty silencer.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/16/2015 2:16pm
I've had both and they are both awesome bikes, IMO they do not feel the same though. They are both great for different reasons and after my 09 yz I decided to go with whatever I could find cheaper/at better dealer so I ended up with a KTM and I'm really happy with it overall.

KTM turns better and has brakes that are insanely better, forks that are easily worse than the YZ and also didn't rev out like the YZ stock but I fixed that. I also appreciate that I like working on it better than the yz or rm I also have.
Micahdogg
4/16/2015 2:19pm
Motofinne wrote:
Just support the company that actually cares about 2-strokes and invests R&D money in 2-strokes. KTM is in my opinion the only way to go if...
Just support the company that actually cares about 2-strokes and invests R&D money in 2-strokes. KTM is in my opinion the only way to go if you want a new 2-stroke(or somewhat new).

Edit: Or TM
Totally agree. Neither bike is bad, and whatever you get the best deal on is probably the biggest factor. Secondary factor would be if you have a better relationship with one dealer over another. But all thing equal, I would rather support a company that is trying to move the two stroke needle. I feel like Yamaha just keeps the smoker around out of guilt.
JBernard_401
4/16/2015 2:26pm

only reason to go YZ is if youve ridden them for so long you are in love with suspension and chassis ergos.

rode a buddys new yz250 with A kit and oversized front rotor. bike was surprisingly good in the hp dept compared to my 300. i felt REALLY comfortable on the bike right when i jumped on it, esp in the corners. and thats saying a lot cause it usually takes me a while to not feel goofy on someone elses bike.

saying that, youd have to LOVE that thing to buy one of those over a ktm with all the upgraded features and changes being made almost every year. however, there are those people out there. i dont take anything away from their choice, as both are good bikes.
Motofinne
4/16/2015 2:31pm
And remember that KTM bikes have a really good secondhand value(at least here in Finland).

4/16/2015 2:47pm
BTW- Yamaha donated $14,000.00 to our state ORVA two years ago for trail makers and building new trails. Another reason I went Yamaha.
Mr Bean
4/16/2015 2:47pm
BLUE! The YZ might just be the current "BEST VALUE" in dirt bikes. It's been the engine every two 250 has tried to copy since 1999...
BLUE! The YZ might just be the current "BEST VALUE" in dirt bikes.

It's been the engine every two 250 has tried to copy since 1999. Suzuki basically copied the top end in about 2004. KTM has been changing / developing their bike to beat it for 15 years, and they are just now getting close.

KTM keeps updating their bike to try and build a bike that's better than the YZ250. The haven't "changed technology", they are just trying to build a better YZ. There isn't any new " technology" in the KTM.

Yamaha is smart enough to not mess with a good thing. They have refined the bike over the years, but they haven't changed the things that work, just for the sake of selling you a new bike. As they find better things they upgrade it. Like the new suspension this year.

The plastic got updated too because styles have changed and it still needs to be appealing on the show room.

But, they didn't change the motor for the last couple of years because IT FREAK'N WORKS.
^ This.

I have an '07 YZ250 that I won't part with even after riding newer KTMs. Keep seeing almost new 250SXs out there for bargain prices and have been tempted but a number of factors keep me from changing - I don't want to spend a chunk of change to get the legs somewhere close to the YZs (have to add that to the expense list), I do my own suspension work and I don't want to have to relearn that 4CS system, get more tools and I don't have a source for reasonable prices on WP parts. I just don't want to hassle with (or spend money on) something like the suspension when what I've got is great as it is.

Since 2013 I've seen quite a few 250SXs for sale that were almost showroom condition. When asking the owners why they were selling it so quickly, most reply that it just wasn't a good fit for them. One was selling because he got laid off a month after buying it. I even saw one that went back up for sale less than a month after it was purchased from the original owner. They typically don't elaborate much put the impression I got was it was a suspension issue. I can understand that disappointment - go buy a new bike and feel like you have to drop some serious coin on the legs just so you're comfortable on it. Heck, there's even one large dealership that will push you to get their in-house suspension work done before you even roll it out the door... usually at a cost of over $1k for both ends. That's a tough pill to swallow for someone who just dropped about $7-$10k.

As for the plastic - good lawd, I'll stick with the stock 07 stuff. It looks like Yamaha just took the fuggly 08 KTM sidepanel profile and stuck it on the YZ. It was an eyesore on the Katoom and it looks worse on the YZ. I would have thought they'd pick something more appealing if they were going to go through the trouble of changing it. But hey, that's a cosmetic preference, not a functionality or performance issue.

I'll consider getting an SX when they put a fantastic suspension on (like I already have) and I can work on it (and understand it) without having to spend a chunk on more tools. At my age and riding requirements I don't have to worry about needing more than the bike can offer, but I do appreciate great suspension and a polished package right out of the box.

I don't the 250SX is a bad/inferior bike, it just isn't as good a match for me right off the showroom floor.

But I'm glad there are choices in the market... and the more the better.
Mr Bean
4/16/2015 2:52pm
Motofinne wrote:
And remember that KTM bikes have a really good secondhand value(at least here in Finland).

It's the opposite around here - the used SX's can be had for bargain prices while people with YZ's think they have gold, especially the steel framed ones.

Funny how different areas can have such different markets.
cable
4/16/2015 4:10pm
send the ktm to mxtech1. i rode a non linkage bike he did for a ktm rep. wow!
Dtat720
4/16/2015 4:22pm
Get the YZ and spend the rest of your money you saved over the KTM on other stuff you may want. Dollar to smile ratio, Yamaha wins hands down. Not even close. KTM's are a rarity around my area outside of the 50-65's and some 85's. Once you get to big bikes, nobody buys orange. Waste of money to get them comparable to others in stock form.
JBernard_401
4/16/2015 4:30pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Get the YZ and spend the rest of your money you saved over the KTM on other stuff you may want. Dollar to smile ratio, Yamaha...
Get the YZ and spend the rest of your money you saved over the KTM on other stuff you may want. Dollar to smile ratio, Yamaha wins hands down. Not even close. KTM's are a rarity around my area outside of the 50-65's and some 85's. Once you get to big bikes, nobody buys orange. Waste of money to get them comparable to others in stock form.
you talking buying a used one? cause around here a yz new is more than the ktm.

if youre talking used compared to new ktm then yes, you could have an awesome tricked out yz for the $ saved.
WVUpetro2013
4/16/2015 4:38pm
Picked up a 250sx two weeks ago and got what I expected. The bike is basically the most fun bike I have ever ridden with some additional quality parts. Also easily the best looking bike I have ever owned by far. The only downfall is I am not a fan of the forks but I plan on having them revavled. Mark me down for a vote on KTM!
BobPA
4/16/2015 4:42pm
You really have to ride the bikes to find out for yourself. For me a YZ 250 is the last modern two stroke I would ride. The ergos and me do not agree on any terms, they are just horribly uncomfortable to me. Put me down for a KTM vote, but it really up to your personal preference.

Post a reply to: Ktm or YZ 250?

The Latest