Knowing when it's your time....freaking depressing!

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 6:35am
A lot of you know I took 5 years of from riding from a really bad wreck i had in June 05'. I spent a lot of time in the hospital and didn't ever think i would ride a bike again.

This past august , i got the bug again and bought a new bike. Long story short.....I rode until i was getting into race condition....pushed my limits and took a couple spills. this past 6 weeks has been hell on me at my construction work , so i decided to sell the bike and quit riding.

Well.....that was depressing enough , but then it became even more depressing when I placed the ad for the bike! and NOW.....I have a guy buying it from me tomorrow morning that is driving all the way up here from California ( he is driving as I write this )

Jesus Christ.....30 years of riding bikes , and I actually think this is it for me....OVER , DONE......Stick a fucking fork in it!

This is no joke.....but i am seriously going into a bad depression tonight! I "Know" deep down inside I'm doing the right thing , but for some reason it's bothering me really bad right now.

Now what the hell do i do? I love riding so much , but for some reason can't stop riding the way i want to....and I keep getting banged up.
|
kx1984
11/12/2010 7:28pm
I hope to never have to face this. Here in California we have alot of Vet riders and Vet racing clubs. We have a 52 and up and a 60 and up class. I'm only 41 and currently training to get better at racing but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to back it down if I have to.

I have no idea what you would do if you stopped riding all together. Can't you do some off road riding/trail riding or something?
Larry
11/12/2010 7:29pm
So you can quit or slow down.
Buy an off road bike or a vintage/evo bike.
Tim507
11/12/2010 7:32pm
Jeff...Tim Sullivan here...live in Estacada. Been in the hospital toooo many times. Ride for fun and ride a fair amount per year. It is not my priority, but is my my passion. It can be done.

Tim
NeWskoolmxer
11/12/2010 7:33pm
The fun part of riding is actually RIDING not Racing, I would buy a nice two stroke and trail ride if I were you. And try the vintage racing it's great fun and you don't have to huck yourself down 100 ft+ jumps.

The Shop

mx757
11/12/2010 7:37pm
I was in the same position when I destroyed my ankle about 3 years ago. I thought I would be fine to start riding again after i was off for such a long time, but I just didnt feel it when I came back. When I sold my 05 yz250 I shed a tear or 2 that night thinking about the prior 6 years of racing.
Towelie
11/12/2010 7:43pm
Get a 93-95 yamaha waveblaster, its like a dirt bike on water, very fun. It will help, they jump waves, dive, its totally a sport model, not a cruiser anyone can drive type of jetski.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
11/12/2010 7:46pm
jeffro503 wrote:
A lot of you know I took 5 years of from riding from a really bad wreck i had in June 05'. I spent a lot...
A lot of you know I took 5 years of from riding from a really bad wreck i had in June 05'. I spent a lot of time in the hospital and didn't ever think i would ride a bike again.

This past august , i got the bug again and bought a new bike. Long story short.....I rode until i was getting into race condition....pushed my limits and took a couple spills. this past 6 weeks has been hell on me at my construction work , so i decided to sell the bike and quit riding.

Well.....that was depressing enough , but then it became even more depressing when I placed the ad for the bike! and NOW.....I have a guy buying it from me tomorrow morning that is driving all the way up here from California ( he is driving as I write this )

Jesus Christ.....30 years of riding bikes , and I actually think this is it for me....OVER , DONE......Stick a fucking fork in it!

This is no joke.....but i am seriously going into a bad depression tonight! I "Know" deep down inside I'm doing the right thing , but for some reason it's bothering me really bad right now.

Now what the hell do i do? I love riding so much , but for some reason can't stop riding the way i want to....and I keep getting banged up.
you'll be back.

Selling a bike and saying your done is a far cry from being done.

It's not reality, it is a phase of life.
nytsmaC
11/12/2010 7:57pm
One of the problems with owning your own business is not being able to take time off. It's not over yet, just take your time. Once you're at the point that you can take a step back and let business run itself a little more you'll want to ride again. I took a couple years off and bought a bike again 2 years ago, and two more this year. I hardly put any hours on them and I have to be more careful than ever when riding, but it's better than nothing.
Mstock
11/12/2010 8:09pm
After 4 consecutive years of torn acl's I sold my bikes, trailer, truck, and a garage full of 20 years of racing motocross. Felt like the smart thing to do. It almost killed me.

Life was empty. Stopped working out. Started drinking. Put the family, girl, and career first. My life went to hell in a hurry. I would take the pain of the injuries over the pain I felt for those 4 years.

Now the girl is gone, the kids are in college, and the job is bankrupt.

Out of depression/mid life crisis I started riding/racing again last year and never loved it more. Life is short. Career and people come and go. Motocross is the only constant for me.

If you do give it up PLEASE tell us the nirvana you found to replace the sights, sounds, smells, attitude, and sense of accomplishment that moto provides.

And if (when) you never find that nirvana always know you can change your mind and come back.

Nothing is forever. Nothing.
11/12/2010 8:22pm
Get a good dual sport, like a DRZ 400S or a KTM 450 if you are really serious. No trucks trailers and the ability to hit the dirt whenever you want. Also riding a street legal dirt bike on the road is a blast. Also get an XR 100 for backyard MX'ing, its quiet smooth and fun, just keep the jumps small.
11/12/2010 8:52pm
Mstock wrote:
After 4 consecutive years of torn acl's I sold my bikes, trailer, truck, and a garage full of 20 years of racing motocross. Felt like the...
After 4 consecutive years of torn acl's I sold my bikes, trailer, truck, and a garage full of 20 years of racing motocross. Felt like the smart thing to do. It almost killed me.

Life was empty. Stopped working out. Started drinking. Put the family, girl, and career first. My life went to hell in a hurry. I would take the pain of the injuries over the pain I felt for those 4 years.

Now the girl is gone, the kids are in college, and the job is bankrupt.

Out of depression/mid life crisis I started riding/racing again last year and never loved it more. Life is short. Career and people come and go. Motocross is the only constant for me.

If you do give it up PLEASE tell us the nirvana you found to replace the sights, sounds, smells, attitude, and sense of accomplishment that moto provides.

And if (when) you never find that nirvana always know you can change your mind and come back.

Nothing is forever. Nothing.
Whoah....nice.
nytsmaC
11/12/2010 9:04pm
Get one of these bad mofos and do some adventure riding.

RaceFace
11/12/2010 9:16pm
Keep riding and just go at about 95%. RJ himself said he always went at about 95% of his max. I guarantee Dungey wasn't pushing at top speed at all this year. Ride in control and don't take chances. Try it. It's way better than not racing. Focus on getting in better shape than everyone else and beat them that way. Once again worked for Dungey this year.
observer
11/12/2010 9:19pm
"fro"...there comes a time in every mans life when he must slow down and yield to "self preservation".
Even the pros go through it(remember there retirement announcements?-those guys get emotional)
Look at that pic up there of me...and I know you have some killer offroading there in OR too.
Go get yourself a good, serious trail machine and hit the single track! If you don't know already, that stuff will teach one how to ride...
I'm 53 and still dig the chit out of it. Word of caution though... It's harder than you think to emulate Shane Watts and that ground gets harder with every passing year!
Cook441
11/12/2010 9:29pm
jeffro503 wrote:
A lot of you know I took 5 years of from riding from a really bad wreck i had in June 05'. I spent a lot...

Go watch the world vet championships- Watch Chuck sun in the 50+ class and realize you dont have to do anything- quit riding over your head- and plan on longer healing times...or hit trails or do playdays that what we do-0
wow123
11/12/2010 9:37pm
i'm not giving up, rather easy to back it off a bit and crash way less.

In the blood now so to give up would be soul destroying for me

Opened door in my new country that would never have opened without it.

Gives me a reason to stay in shape, when others are getting huge.

Nah

TerryK
11/12/2010 9:47pm
I never understood the whole selling it all and quitting deal. Ive gone years without riding (money issues) but always came back to it. I miss racing but to be honest I have more fun play riding with my friends than I ever have racing. No pressure, no expectations, just fun and companionship with good people.
CamP
11/12/2010 9:48pm
jeffro503 wrote:

I would suggest that you sell the 450 and buy a slower bike. Under powered bikes are safer and often more fun too.
nytsmaC
11/12/2010 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2010 9:57pm
CamP wrote:
I would suggest that you sell the 450 and buy a slower bike. Under powered bikes are safer and often more fun too.
Bingo. Thats why I'm a 6'7 fat fuck riding a 125. Logical? Not at all. Fun? You better believe it! It's the most fun I've had riding since I was about 16.
Brent
11/12/2010 11:46pm
Listen to these people and get a smaller bike like a used 125. Just burning laps is the funnest thing ever.

Shit I'm almost 50, In the last week, I dislocated my shoulder, broke my pinky, and got a HUGE hematoma on my leg from crashing my brains out at Pala yesterday, but Im going riding tomorrow even though right now I feel like I went 12 rounds with Tyson in his prime, and I cant even load my own bike it hurts so bad.

My family thinks I'm crazy and stupid, but somehow when I get on that bike and hit that first corner all the pain just goes away. because I love riding so much. The only way I'm giving up riding is when I'm dead, and maybe a little bit after that.

Just ride for the fun of it, like when you were a kid.
M-M
11/13/2010 12:29am
Get an enduro bike dude!
Billy Jack
11/13/2010 1:08am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 1:08am
jeffro503 wrote:

Jeff, if your heart is saying give it up, then listen. Maybe it's your intuition saving your rear. You know what's best for you, man. But the moto-bug lasts forever and it will not go away, no matter what you try to replace it with.
WSR
11/13/2010 4:02am
Buy a dual sport.
11/13/2010 4:31am
nytsmaC wrote:
Get one of these bad mofos and do some adventure riding. [img]https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200610/2006-ktm-950-super-enduro-3_460x0w.jpg[/img]
Get one of these bad mofos and do some adventure riding.

Exactly. A lot of people do that after moto - and travel. If you like bikes and riding, you can still ride.

For example, travel and ride through different countries on a dual sport. You can do it alone or with friends or groups. It's fun and interesting. Get out and see the world. There's lots you can still go out and do on a dirt bike without risking your fucking neck. It doesn't have to be depressing.

zippy895
11/13/2010 5:14am
jeffro503 wrote:

jet skis or mtb
ns503
11/13/2010 5:29am
Yo, my brother in numbers - there's some good suggestions here.

Get a vintage scoot - you've seen a pic of mine. Try to find the same bike you started on way back when. That way when you're not riding, there'll always be some tinkering to do, and there should be some interest in doing that if you can find that connection to the early years.

And get a cheap dual sport. I got a new 09 KLX250 this past summer. I haven't had a chance to put a lot of miles & time on it yet, but I can hop on it at any time and be in the woods & trails in minutes. Hell, I live in the woods so going anywhere on it is huge scooter-therapy. Yes, even with this bike having a severe shortage of horsepower. Side benefits are I can get my kids out on the trails with me some of those times, and I can go anywhere with it since it's plated.

It's not the end of the world man!
DL
11/13/2010 6:09am
You never said what you ride. I am guessing a 450? Get a 250F, slow down and or stop racing, ride moto for fun, stop caring about the jumps and add in some other types of riding...... trail riding is a blast too. I'm betting you'll be buying a bike again in the next few years. Someone mentioned 93-96 Yamaha Wave Blasters. Great idea. I have two of them and at 51 can wax the kid in the ocean. They are like moto but in the water. I picked up both with a trailer for $2500. Good luck with it.
bultokid
11/13/2010 6:29am
Get a vintage/evo bike, I've been doing it since '95 and never tire of the old iron. In that same span have gone through many modern bikes and I knew if I didn't back away from the new ones I was going to hurt myself bad. The joy of the vintage is the comraderie and there is no pressure to huck that 100" triple - none, nada as you know the bike won't do it. Also try a shifter kart, talk about a rush. Have fun, ride safe
YAKMX
11/13/2010 6:31am
The older I get(54 now) the less fast I want to go. This is why I like single track trail riding. Slower but just as physically challenging.Yeah slow speed falls still hurt. But my moto bug will never go away. I am lucky enough to be an announcer. So I am at the track 35 plus weekends a year. Plus I collect and restore Vintage stuff when I have the time and money..opps I never have the time or money,but still manage to do that as well. I have a friend who is 74 and he still rides. I so want to be able to do that when I (hopefully) get that age. Much better than my couch potato friends.Cheerful

Post a reply to: Knowing when it's your time....freaking depressing!

The Latest