Kenny Watson Interview

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
10/22/2009 9:47am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
You can't fault Kenny for his salesmanship and pure chutzpah, but . . . ahh . . . I'm pretty sure Mitch would laugh his ass...
You can't fault Kenny for his salesmanship and pure chutzpah, but . . . ahh . . . I'm pretty sure Mitch would laugh his ass off if someone offered to trade all the upside in the H&H brand for the PC brand.
Because Mitch is a racer at heart. That said, the potential for the H&H brand far exceeds Pro Circuit's by a country mile. Mitch has enough money and titles to be happy, and happy he is, but I will take the financial upside of H&H for $1000, Alex.
flarider
10/22/2009 9:50am
I wonder, which generates more revenue...Metal Mulisha or PC?
peelout719
10/22/2009 10:06am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
flarider wrote:
in terms of apparel and the like... the answer is obvious.

although i'm not down with the "bro" image, i applaud H&H in their efforts and mentality concerning the sport. it is a business afterall.
flarider
10/22/2009 10:13am
flarider wrote:
peelout719 wrote:
in terms of apparel and the like... the answer is obvious. although i'm not down with the "bro" image, i applaud H&H in their efforts and...

although i'm not down with the "bro" image, i applaud H&H in their efforts and mentality concerning the sport. it is a business afterall.
Actually, I mean overall, not just apparel

The Shop

Rupert X
10/22/2009 10:14am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am

I personally witnessed Kenny Watson stall a Porsche Carrerra GT at Vegas SX

a couple years back. "It's hard to drive this &*^%$#%^& thing" - the frustrated and

oddly-fitting-hatted one bellowed to anyone that would lend a sunburned ear.

That's my KW story. Eat it up.

*Worth noting, I believe they do have that twin-clutch set-up in them thar Zuffenhausen

exotics. It's probably a beetch to drive in parking lots. I'd like to try tho.
peelout719
10/22/2009 10:20am
flarider wrote:
peelout719 wrote:
in terms of apparel and the like... the answer is obvious. although i'm not down with the "bro" image, i applaud H&H in their efforts and...

flarider wrote:

which is why i made the mention of apparel.

metal mulisha apparel per se, is in every Zumies, Pac Sun, etc... across the usa. the general public makes a much larger percentage than the moto community that buys pro-circuit moto accessories. putting an actual number on it would take more research than i'm willing to do.

just my opinion, not a jab or argument in any way. both companies are very successful and they both owe it to the sport of motocross for their success.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/22/2009 10:32am
You can't fault Kenny for his salesmanship and pure chutzpah, but . . . ahh . . . I'm pretty sure Mitch would laugh his ass...
You can't fault Kenny for his salesmanship and pure chutzpah, but . . . ahh . . . I'm pretty sure Mitch would laugh his ass off if someone offered to trade all the upside in the H&H brand for the PC brand.
avidchimp wrote:
Because Mitch is a racer at heart. That said, the potential for the H&H brand far exceeds Pro Circuit's by a country mile. Mitch has enough...
Because Mitch is a racer at heart. That said, the potential for the H&H brand far exceeds Pro Circuit's by a country mile. Mitch has enough money and titles to be happy, and happy he is, but I will take the financial upside of H&H for $1000, Alex.
Theoretically, but the devil is in the execution. Led by whom?

I think it makes sense to run a race team to support a broad mass market brand, but I'm not sure it makes sense to run a race team as a fundamental element to creating a broad mass market brand.

Fox is a terrific case study in this regard.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
10/22/2009 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
Is the race team a fundamental part of the H&H brand? In my opinion, it isn't. The Tattoo shops, the clothing line, Wasted Space all get more exposure to the general public than the race team ever will.

Then again, what do I know. I am just a lowly nobody who has never run my own business. Wink
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/22/2009 12:40pm
"What we’re trying to do is build a brand; no other team is doing that. "-Watson
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
10/22/2009 1:00pm
flarider wrote:
I dont have any evidence to back this up, but with Metal Mulisha being so main stream now, I bet they generate lots more revenue than PC
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/22/2009 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
Kenny is a good guy, if anyone says anything less, they have never talked to him. Kenny has come a long way since his days at XXX.

H&H is a whole lot different then MotoXXX in many ways. MotoXXX before Kyle Lewis was a truck with some stickers and a couple of drummers funding it.

H&H is a well run racing team with a goal. Like Kenny said, they are a product and they are marketing that product. Most of the factory teams should take a few lesson from them.
Lightning78
10/22/2009 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
avidchimp wrote:
Is the race team a fundamental part of the H&H brand? In my opinion, it isn't. The Tattoo shops, the clothing line, Wasted Space all get...
Is the race team a fundamental part of the H&H brand? In my opinion, it isn't. The Tattoo shops, the clothing line, Wasted Space all get more exposure to the general public than the race team ever will.

Then again, what do I know. I am just a lowly nobody who has never run my own business. Wink
Yes they are promoting all those things you mentioned but that's why there are teams like these sprouting up. With public exposure brings more revenue to your sponsors which in turn increases your team budget supplied by your sponsors ....aka ROI. They are a little more support from Honda and a couple of top riders away from becoming a premier team. THey are building the team and as it gets more established don't be suprised if they are chosen as one of Honda's factory supported teams once they pull out. H&H are building a team that will take the sport into the future of pro racing once all the factories pull out.
Highsider
10/22/2009 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2009 2:49pm
Ozzy wrote:
I've known KW for sometime now. Were good! The H&H thing I like it & respect it. They're their own deal, regardless of support. I don't...
I've known KW for sometime now.
Were good!
The H&H thing I like it & respect it.
They're their own deal, regardless of support.
I don't care about
Pink, though I like her & her music,
likewise everything else, yet it's the
everything else that's exciting to me.
I like their fresh-ness & aggressive style.
& yes, they're different than the norm, but
that's what's attractive.
Tony B's going to be a huge asset to them.
Hopefully the riders will make some noise.
I see no reason why they can't.
Dave O. Wink
tcannon521 wrote:
Have you ever used the entire width in a post? I don't know what I like better about your posts the insight you bring or the...
Have you ever used the entire
width in a post?
I don't know what I like better
about your posts the insight
you bring or the unique posting
techniques.

SillySilly
His return key has a very light spring.Unsure
Motodave
10/22/2009 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
peelout719 wrote:

flarider wrote:

peelout719 wrote:
which is why i made the mention of apparel. metal mulisha apparel per se, is in every Zumies, Pac Sun, etc... across the usa. the general...

metal mulisha apparel per se, is in every Zumies, Pac Sun, etc... across the usa. the general public makes a much larger percentage than the moto community that buys pro-circuit moto accessories. putting an actual number on it would take more research than i'm willing to do.

just my opinion, not a jab or argument in any way. both companies are very successful and they both owe it to the sport of motocross for their success.
This is precisecly the reason i no longer respect the Metal Mulisha, Or any of the damn clothes in those stores...Its cool the company is making millions and all, But you have to admit you hate seeing fuckers wearing the clothes who dont even ride, Fox,metal-mulisha, Alpine-stars etc. That is a gigantic pet peeve with me, And The h&h Team is meh.. i can guarantee that H&H will never win a 250/450 sx championship or even and outdoor championship..and shit they dont even win the pit awards either that goes to the 2-story monster energy booth and jagermeister. lol
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/22/2009 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
It doesn't bother me and I'm absolutely glad Fox is making money instead of letting itself be another broke race team, which is what confronted them late 70's, early 80's when they shifted from hardware to gear and clothing. The built the brand aligning with riders and athletes in different sports with broad appeal. Running a race team was killing them.

If H&H can leverage broad success, great.

The fact is, they are not the only race team running the team to build a brand with people at the track. That's the focus on KW's comment as to their activites at the track with race fans. KW by all accounts a great guy and an energetic promoter of the projects he's involved. It's exactly the sort of enthusiasm and commitment he should have. It's great seller's puff, but not true with respect to what other teams are trying to do.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Deegan would tell you that's always been what the MM was about.
TeamGreen
10/22/2009 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
Hart is promoting his brand and doing a damn good job of it; also, he's a hard-working mofo.

Watson is a good guy and has helped out a lot of folks on OTHER teams during the SX season.

Together they have done a helluva a job improving their program over the last few years and they are bumping it up a notch, again, in 2010...how many other teams are actually INVESTING more in MX for this up-coming season? Not many...

(Well, actually, I can think of -2-...MotoSport & MCR will be. Both are changing brands and changing their game...for the better. ...but, I digress! )

H & H and the Mullisha guys are a good bunch of folks and work pretty damn hard at what they do.

Carey spends a lot of money on our sport...So does Deegan and his "brand".

Btw, while we're talkin' about the FMX-types...

Ever notice how much time Twitch, Mason, Potter and the gang spend signing autographs versus most of the "racers"?

I'm jus' sayin'...

DANIELINS
10/22/2009 4:32pm
I agree, kenny is a good guy and has proven to be a good personality and promoter of the sport.... and on race day carey hart has one of the longest lines for autographs and most of the people in line are moto moms, don't think their association with pink has anything to do with it as i have never seen her at a race but the crowds are still there....Kenny was one of the original driving forces with moto xxx, utopia goggles, the plano honda team and now hart and huntington. the guy must be doing something right..
oshow
10/22/2009 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:53am
peelout719 wrote:

flarider wrote:

peelout719 wrote:
which is why i made the mention of apparel. metal mulisha apparel per se, is in every Zumies, Pac Sun, etc... across the usa. the general...

No matter but I'll roll with PC. And not the Hot topic -Pac Sun brands.

But I would buy a H&H shirt...prob
peelout719
10/22/2009 4:44pm
Motodave wrote:
This is precisecly the reason i no longer respect the Metal Mulisha, Or any of the damn clothes in those stores...Its cool the company is making...
This is precisecly the reason i no longer respect the Metal Mulisha, Or any of the damn clothes in those stores...Its cool the company is making millions and all, But you have to admit you hate seeing fuckers wearing the clothes who dont even ride, Fox,metal-mulisha, Alpine-stars etc. That is a gigantic pet peeve with me, And The h&h Team is meh.. i can guarantee that H&H will never win a 250/450 sx championship or even and outdoor championship..and shit they dont even win the pit awards either that goes to the 2-story monster energy booth and jagermeister. lol
the exact reason i hated Fox and Alpinestar for about 10 years of my life.

i'm over it now though. i'm to the point where i realize a business is a business. do what you can while you can and make a shit load of money while you're at it.
TeamGreen
10/22/2009 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2009 4:47pm
flarider wrote:

peelout719 wrote:

Motodave wrote:
This is precisecly the reason i no longer respect the Metal Mulisha, Or any of the damn clothes in those stores...Its cool the company is making...
Can we start a "Bitter-Beer-Award" for the most BITTER post of the day?(Motodave)

MelonFan123
10/22/2009 5:08pm
i never have understood the whole elitist attitude towards brands and clothing companies like Fox, Alpinestars, Metal Mulisha, etc. why be mad that a clothing company is successful and appealing to more people?

it's like that nerdy artsy-fartsy music snob whos all bitter after their favorite underground band has a major hit song.

get over yourselves!

Post a reply to: Kenny Watson Interview

The Latest