Ken Roczen to race on 350 @ Daytona and SLC

2/17/2011 3:57am
jamma10 wrote:
The ironic thing is that Americans were saying the same kind of thing about the lack of talent in the GP's before they knew who David...
The ironic thing is that Americans were saying the same kind of thing about the lack of talent in the GP's before they knew who David Vuillemin was, Sebastien Tortelli, Grant Langston, Chad Reed, Ben Townley, Pourcel and most recently Desalle, Cairloli and Roczen, and they'll keep saying it with the likes of Herlings as just a distant, faint blip on their radar.
kongols wrote:
There are a lot of decent americans who appreciate talent when they see it. I`m trying to look past those chest pounders 99.99 % of which...
There are a lot of decent americans who appreciate talent when they see it. I`m trying to look past those chest pounders 99.99 % of which have no idea what they talking about.
Yes thats true. I love America and I really love the racing there.
Its more aggresive than the racing we have in the GPs but I cant stand the blind minds racking down on the GPs as a B-League to the US-Nationals.
Huckster
2/17/2011 4:08am
jamma10 wrote:
The ironic thing is that Americans were saying the same kind of thing about the lack of talent in the GP's before they knew who David...
The ironic thing is that Americans were saying the same kind of thing about the lack of talent in the GP's before they knew who David Vuillemin was, Sebastien Tortelli, Grant Langston, Chad Reed, Ben Townley, Pourcel and most recently Desalle, Cairloli and Roczen, and they'll keep saying it with the likes of Herlings as just a distant, faint blip on their radar.
the real irony is that all of the guys you mention with the exception of Cairoli, made the decision to leave the GP's and come over and race the AMA Sx/mx series or are on their way over soon. We bench racers can debate this until we are blue in the face but the proof is in the decisions made by the racers themselves.
mccread
2/17/2011 4:13am
From what I see from Ken he is a player here and everyone knows the AMA championships are the most valuable. I dont see why he...
From what I see from Ken he is a player here and everyone knows the AMA championships are the most valuable.
I dont see why he would go do the GP's when he could be here in the running for AMA championships. I know hes a sure bet over there and has it tougher here w/ guys like Wilson, Barcia, Tomac, Baggett in the mix but I think he has a ligitimate shot at the outdoor title here in the us!
What about Marvin Musquin? O I forgot, hes coming from the GPs so he cant be competitive in the US can he? I think the US...
What about Marvin Musquin? O I forgot, hes coming from the GPs so he cant be competitive in the US can he?

I think the US lites and the MX2 class in the GPs is very similar in speed. In the big class I think the US field is a bit deeper.
jamma10 wrote:
LOL exactly, they can't seem to believe there is more than one rider capable of running the same pace as American riders in America. They said the same thing about MX2 GPs went Searle and Rattray went to the US...The only riders they think are fast/ have knowledge about are the foreign riders that race in the US...it is inconceivable that there are loads of riders that pace still riding GPs.

It is also inconceivable that judging foreign riders in the US against the Americans in their own country may not be the most accurate way to judge who is the best...like they have done with Searle... his GP results mean nothing even though he won more GPs than Rattray in 2008.. Tommy got second in the GPs at 17 and 18.. that is better than Barcia has done at the same age.

You never hear them using the world championship to judge how everyone would do when home country advantage is not a being used constantly. Only America counts....If they all raced the World Championship the US riders would be no better or worse than the top riders from other countries just like Moto GP or whatever.

Would be unfair to compare who was better if an American raced and lived just in Germany against Roczen... or Holland against Herlings?
mccread
2/17/2011 4:21am
jamma10 wrote:
Huckster wrote:
the real irony is that all of the guys you mention with the exception of Cairoli, made the decision to leave the GP's and come over...
the real irony is that all of the guys you mention with the exception of Cairoli, made the decision to leave the GP's and come over and race the AMA Sx/mx series or are on their way over soon. We bench racers can debate this until we are blue in the face but the proof is in the decisions made by the racers themselves.
Thats because Americans don't do sport outside their own country....and you can only race supercross in America.

It is harder for them to race the GPs than their own national series so they have to much to lose.

European/GP riders are more adaptable and well rounded outdoors than US riders that is why they can compete in the America but Americans seem to struggle more in the GPs...when they have to adapt to different countries, and a wide variety of tracks.

The reason those guys where mentioned were because they have rode in the USA, and those are the only foreign riders Americans have respect for because they raced in the USA... you missed the pointn and in doing so proved Jamma's point - well done.

The fact...Two different series... similar quality. Fast is Fast, put them all in a World champions and they are all similar speed.

The Shop

hairy
2/17/2011 4:26am
From what I see from Ken he is a player here and everyone knows the AMA championships are the most valuable. I dont see why he...
From what I see from Ken he is a player here and everyone knows the AMA championships are the most valuable.
I dont see why he would go do the GP's when he could be here in the running for AMA championships. I know hes a sure bet over there and has it tougher here w/ guys like Wilson, Barcia, Tomac, Baggett in the mix but I think he has a ligitimate shot at the outdoor title here in the us!
you forgot to add that if Kenny wins the world title, it will be because of what he learnt racing in the US these two months. LOL. By the way, if the AMA championships are the most valuable, how come only half the guys race them ?
Huckster
2/17/2011 4:36am
mccread wrote:
Thats because Americans don't do sport outside their own country....and you can only race supercross in America. It is harder for them to race the GPs...
Thats because Americans don't do sport outside their own country....and you can only race supercross in America.

It is harder for them to race the GPs than their own national series so they have to much to lose.

European/GP riders are more adaptable and well rounded outdoors than US riders that is why they can compete in the America but Americans seem to struggle more in the GPs...when they have to adapt to different countries, and a wide variety of tracks.

The reason those guys where mentioned were because they have rode in the USA, and those are the only foreign riders Americans have respect for because they raced in the USA... you missed the pointn and in doing so proved Jamma's point - well done.

The fact...Two different series... similar quality. Fast is Fast, put them all in a World champions and they are all similar speed.
there were many before them and will continue to many after them....You cant seem to grasp the fact that for whatever reasons, most of the premier GP riders choose to come over to race the AMA SX/MX series. That is a fact no matter how you try to deny it, justify it or seemingly ignore it.......

Plenty of Americans "do sport" outside our country. You follow World Cup skiing at all or Tennis? You ever hear of Zach Osborne or Allen Iverson?Some of our Best soccer players are playing abroad. I understand your blind passion for all that is Euro, but MX is just one of many Sports where the premier competition is in the USA. Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey..etc If the premier competition is abroad, so are our best Athletes.....
jamma10
2/17/2011 5:01am
jamma10 wrote:
Huckster wrote:
the real irony is that all of the guys you mention with the exception of Cairoli, made the decision to leave the GP's and come over...
While the level of racing is obviously incredibly high, riders do not choose to race in the states for this reason alone. With all due respect, if you had experience of growing up and living outside of the US as a Motocross fan/rider* you would understand how much the media is responsible for selling the 'US dream' and an idyllic lifestyle to young kids growing up. Trust me it beats living and training in a wet and windy UK or Belgium any day. Our magazines are full of glossy double page advertisment's shot in Socal, Florida or Las Vegas Supercross for example. Its all Sun, blue skies, shiny bikes and bikini's. Woohoo

Riders like JMB, Pichon and Albertyn set a precedent and this paved the way for the youngsters like DV, Tortelli & Langston who read about them, watched them on dvd and saw what can be achieved. These riders have since paved the way for the current crop of young riders looking to head stateside which has become a relatively straightforward transition now. Some European riders are more attracted by America than others. Its just a cycle.

(* maybe you do, Im just presuming you don't)
hairy
2/17/2011 5:10am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2011 5:16am
Huckster wrote:
there were many before them and will continue to many after them....You cant seem to grasp the fact that for whatever reasons, most of the premier...
there were many before them and will continue to many after them....You cant seem to grasp the fact that for whatever reasons, most of the premier GP riders choose to come over to race the AMA SX/MX series. That is a fact no matter how you try to deny it, justify it or seemingly ignore it.......

Plenty of Americans "do sport" outside our country. You follow World Cup skiing at all or Tennis? You ever hear of Zach Osborne or Allen Iverson?Some of our Best soccer players are playing abroad. I understand your blind passion for all that is Euro, but MX is just one of many Sports where the premier competition is in the USA. Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey..etc If the premier competition is abroad, so are our best Athletes.....
"most of the premier GP riders choose ... to race the AMA SX/MX series"

I guess you could say that 2005 is recent enough to be considered fairly current, but also long enough ago to have given the "premier GP riders" of that year time to switch to the US. You wann know how many of that year's top ten in MX1 have raced an AMA series, as opposed to an odd race as an invitational because they had nothing else on that weekend ? Two - Townley and Pichon. In MX2 three - McFarlane, Chiodi, Pourcel.
Not a single one of the 2006 MX1 top 20, let alone top 10, has ever raced a US series, in MX2 again three of the top 10 - Pourcel, Rattray, Searle.
2007 four in MX2 - the same three as the year before plus Swanepoel, and one in MX1 - and that was Mike Brown.
2008 just Rattray.
2009 Swanepoel MX1, Musquin and Roczen MX2, 2010 Musquin, Roczen, Osborne

So in six years that adds up to a dozen top 10 GP riders, two of whom are Americans, who have ridden more than the odd race in the US. Of the other ten, four are Commenwealth riders who were given the chance to race in Europe when no-one in the US would have helped them, which leaves us with three Frenchies, one each from Italy, England and Germany. Not exactly "most".

Of last year's MX1 world top ten I can count Philippaerts, Nagl, Ramon, Leok, Boog, Guarneri, perhaps also Bobryshev, who have/will never have any desire to race US regularly if at all.

But of course I forgot, they're not real top guys if they are too scared to race AMA because they will get beat.
Huckster
2/17/2011 5:15am
jamma10 wrote:
While the level of racing is obviously incredibly high, riders do not choose to race in the states for this reason alone. With all due respect...
While the level of racing is obviously incredibly high, riders do not choose to race in the states for this reason alone. With all due respect, if you had experience of growing up and living outside of the US as a Motocross fan/rider* you would understand how much the media is responsible for selling the 'US dream' and an idyllic lifestyle to young kids growing up. Trust me it beats living and training in a wet and windy UK or Belgium any day. Our magazines are full of glossy double page advertisment's shot in Socal, Florida or Las Vegas Supercross for example. Its all Sun, blue skies, shiny bikes and bikini's. Woohoo

Riders like JMB, Pichon and Albertyn set a precedent and this paved the way for the youngsters like DV, Tortelli & Langston who read about them, watched them on dvd and saw what can be achieved. These riders have since paved the way for the current crop of young riders looking to head stateside which has become a relatively straightforward transition now. Some European riders are more attracted by America than others. Its just a cycle.

(* maybe you do, Im just presuming you don't)
as I said earlier, "for whatever reason.." No doubt you have a valid point and the combination of all the points is what attracts the best from the GP's to come over and race against the best from the States. Together this makes the AMA series the premier series in the world. Regardless of what it is called, regardless of why it is that way, it is that way. This is not to say that there are not great riders in the GP's. Obviously there are some guys that can flat out ride no matter where they are. The media not only sells this dream to those abroad, but it sells it to our youth as well.....Look at our Amateur system now. If you don't travel the AM national series, go to LL, train at MTF, GPF, weinarts, etc...year round, have your bike done by PC, FC, MB1, Enzo, PR2, etc...you have NO chance at making it.....
jamma10
2/17/2011 5:34am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2011 5:36am
Huckster wrote:
there were many before them and will continue to many after them....You cant seem to grasp the fact that for whatever reasons, most of the premier...

Lets be honest, youre only talking 'American sports' there. The only other country that takes Baseball seriously is Japan and only Canada and Russia really play Hockey. No other country has much of an interest in Basketball or NFL, relatively speaking anyway. Its like New Zealand sticking their finger up at Americans and saying how much better they are at Rugby, or similarly Indians gloating about Cricket. Its not a real comparison unless both sides is actively seeking to become the best in the world at it.

I'll give you Athletics though. Smile
mccread
2/17/2011 6:53am
mccread wrote:
Thats because Americans don't do sport outside their own country....and you can only race supercross in America. It is harder for them to race the GPs...

Huckster wrote:

Yea.. you have proven my point....they are mainly interested in doing sport in their own country and these are usually American sports... even the Americans admit it is hard to get guys to play tennis etc because all Americans want to do is play American sports...that's fine American sport is cool...but Americans are mainly interested only in America.

Jamma is right it is partially the media that feeds the odd GP rider to go to the US because it looks cool and glamourous with Supercross etc - eg. in the UK our magazines we get our national championship coverage, GP coverage and US coverage we watch everything.. so have a better perspective... the American magazines that we also get just have their own national championship coverage... you are inspired by what you see... and Americans don't see anything about motocross racing outside their own country not even World Championship racing... hence when they do race the GPs they seem to struggle to adapt due to not realising the the type of track variety or the level of competition... When is a GP rider ever on the cover of a US mag?

Zach is doing well because he had the right mentality and he is very talented... the US riders that represent your country on the World stage should get a lot more respect... what Zach is doing is more impressive than Barcia imo. If the US mags had as much GP coverage as they do the US national coverage, and vice versa more Americans would maybe race GPs. Why Americans can't follow both and have equal respect for both confuses me...it is not a competition, both are fantastic series... watching the GPs with the same interest as your national championship does not disrespect your country... most countries watch their national championship and the World Championship.

Again Europe is not a country.. a guy like Roczen is as foreign to me as he is to you....so get the " Blind passion for all that is Euro" whatever that is out of your head...nationality is more important. than continent.... Cairoli had to leave his own country to race the GPs and live in Belgium and learn a new language too... Canard is probably my favourite rider right now.

Nationality doesn't bother me nor the series they race in, the riders style/talent is more important...but obviously you will support people in your own country and want them to win ( ie I want Searle to win the GPs) but not to the detriment of being blind to the qualities of other riders, or whether they race in your national championship or not.

Lets see the most well known international sports that Americans take part in successfully that requires a long time away from their own country...

Tennis...No Americans at the sharp end anymore
Golf.. Europe won the ryder cup, Westwood is World no.1 ( even that sport has a US tour though so Americans only have to briefly leave their country for the Majors)
Rugby... O wait...you don't play that
Cricket... O wait... you don't play that
Football...O wait... you play your own football
F1... er you dont do that either
MotoGP... some good Americans trying there but not winning the last few years...
Rallying.... again not really Americans best sport.
MX GP... Not Americas most successful avenue of motocross in recent times..

The point is Americans like to be in America and watching American sports.. that is fine...but that is the mentality (also in the media) that stops riders racing the GPs... not because the GPs are too easy for American riders or a step down. ( which is you arguement) And it is also why I have huge respect for any American that races the GPs.. because it is hard.

I think Hairy has factually answered your questions about your myth of all the top GP riders going to the US.,.... Your perception is not fact. And the point is, the GP riders that go there run at or near the front.. proving yet again they are as good as the US riders...which is all anyone outside American argues...

Let your national pride go... The World Championship is just as competitive as the AMA Nationals.. and "europeans" as you see them are just as good as American riders. Thats why I watch both and view them as a similar level just diffferent types of series. Which is exactly why Ken is fast over there just like he is in the World Championship...as was Pourcel, DV, Albee, Rattray, etc what is funny is the US media are giving him alot more hype now he has raced in the US compared to when he raced the GPs...as they did with all the other GP riders...which in turn means Americans only know foreign riders who race in the US.. and thus begins the false perception....

Like I said if the Americans did compete in the World Championship I think it would be fairly even.. you couldn't say who would win they are all fast, just like motogp or wherever.
robkinuk
2/17/2011 8:29am
Ironic that young Roczen, in his first year of Supercross, is the main hope for KTM, as the other two American based riders, Alessi and Short, with years of SX behind them, are for the most part under-performing on their bikes!
Huckster
2/17/2011 1:17pm
robkinuk wrote:
Ironic that young Roczen, in his first year of Supercross, is the main hope for KTM, as the other two American based riders, Alessi and Short...
Ironic that young Roczen, in his first year of Supercross, is the main hope for KTM, as the other two American based riders, Alessi and Short, with years of SX behind them, are for the most part under-performing on their bikes!
did Roczen win something? I think Short beat him but I will have to double check the results.....

McCread your diatribe against Barcia and the AMA series is old. You are like the cranky old man that keeps telling his story regardless of anyone is listening....No one forced DV, Pourcel, Reed, Townley, Rattray, Musquin, Searle, Anstie, Albee, JMB. Pichone, Tortelli, Langston(how many GP titles is that) or any of the other guys who started their careers in the GP's to come over. They decided on their own to come over and leave the GP's. You want to blame it on the media, hype, etc....go ahead and create that friendly place in your mind so that you are at peace, but the fact does not change. The AMA is the premier series because of that fact.

The AHL is just as "competitive" as the NHL. Doesnt mean the quality of play is as good though. Local C class races are "competitive......
bearded clam
2/17/2011 1:48pm
SMITH201 wrote:
Sweet!

I still think he will be on the gate at Hangtown.
[img]http://implied.facepalm.de/facepalm_implied.jpg[/img]
Um whats retarted about that...its the truth. How Did Searle do here last year haha! Herlings, Paulin, Searle will get smoked by Wlson, Tomac, Barcia and Baggett. Maby Musquin and Roczen stand a chance.
sure those other GP guys are fast but who wins the MXDN every year...the USA! We ARE a lil better, our talent is deeper and our championships are more valuable. Do you see our top guys going over there? Nope.

Jean Bayle, Greg Albertine, David Vuillemin, Sebastien Tortelli, Grant Langston, Chad Reed, Ben Townley, Pourcel, Roczen Musquin all have come over here to try to capture the most valuable championships in the world and when they all come over here the talent over in the GP's looses its depth. No?

Nothing retarted about that. I think Roczen will have a tougher time here than over there, our 250 guys here are on a level above! Hopefull we can see him do some gp's and some Nationals...then well see!
kongols
2/17/2011 1:50pm
Um whats retarted about that...its the truth. How Did Searle do here last year haha! Herlings, Paulin, Searle will get smoked by Wlson, Tomac, Barcia and...
Um whats retarted about that...its the truth. How Did Searle do here last year haha! Herlings, Paulin, Searle will get smoked by Wlson, Tomac, Barcia and Baggett. Maby Musquin and Roczen stand a chance.
sure those other GP guys are fast but who wins the MXDN every year...the USA! We ARE a lil better, our talent is deeper and our championships are more valuable. Do you see our top guys going over there? Nope.

Jean Bayle, Greg Albertine, David Vuillemin, Sebastien Tortelli, Grant Langston, Chad Reed, Ben Townley, Pourcel, Roczen Musquin all have come over here to try to capture the most valuable championships in the world and when they all come over here the talent over in the GP's looses its depth. No?

Nothing retarted about that. I think Roczen will have a tougher time here than over there, our 250 guys here are on a level above! Hopefull we can see him do some gp's and some Nationals...then well see!
Sorry , just had to do it.
jamma10
2/17/2011 1:53pm
'Nothing 'retarted' about that'

nope.

Just a whole lot of wrong. Guys like you just don't have a grasp on the whole picture.
M-M
2/17/2011 3:11pm
Um whats retarted about that...its the truth. How Did Searle do here last year haha! Herlings, Paulin, Searle will get smoked by Wlson, Tomac, Barcia and...

Seriously, are you some kind of tool? Did you watch last years mxdn? You think Roczen will have a tough time?!!

This thread will be saved to my favourites so you can't lick Musquin's arse when he smokes Barcia.

USA USA USA..........

ocscottie
2/17/2011 3:13pm
Its a real shame what this thread has turned into.
M-M
2/17/2011 3:28pm
As every thread turns into ,in his place. A good debate turns into someone who pops in to post something that has been discussed to death.

Might aswell put on the forum banner ,"European riders are inferior" and be done with it.
BLAHBLAH
2/17/2011 3:51pm
Don't forget.. some guy with the initials MM will be on the hangtown gate this year reppin KTM.. I think KTM will have plenty of representation for the outdoors..
bearded clam
2/17/2011 3:53pm

M-M wrote:
Seriously, are you some kind of tool? Did you watch last years mxdn? You think Roczen will have a tough time?!! This thread will be saved...
Seriously, are you some kind of tool? Did you watch last years mxdn? You think Roczen will have a tough time?!!

This thread will be saved to my favourites so you can't lick Musquin's arse when he smokes Barcia.

USA USA USA..........

Actually I have been around motocross since I was a baby. My dads good buddy was a factory yamaha mech for Burgett and I was fortunate enough to be in the Yamaha Factory on pleanty of occasions over my whole childhood.
I have been racer since I was 10 and still race to this day....vet Intermediate. I have also done testing for a factory and a magazine.
Also for the last 10 years my buisness has been involved with 2 factory teams and a sat team. I have been a part of both world championships as well as AMA championships. I am in the factories on a regular basis working on making the bikes better.
I actually do really know motocross very very well. All I said was I beleive Roczen will have a tougher time over here then he would in the GP's...just my opinion but judging by all the others that dominated over there to come over here and had a tought time prove my point. I also said I beleive he and Musquin do stand a chance of winning the AMA championship. Just my opinion...I never said anyone sucks...thay are all great riders but these new american lights riders are some of the most talented I have seen in a long time and I truly beleive their level is above what GP's have this year. Again just my opinion
bearded clam
2/17/2011 3:59pm

M-M wrote:
Seriously, are you some kind of tool? Did you watch last years mxdn? You think Roczen will have a tough time?!! This thread will be saved...

USA USA USA..........

"Seriously, are you some kind of tool? Did you watch last years mxdn? You think Roczen will have a tough time?!!"

Roczen was great at the MXDN and so was Townley at the USGP. How did Townley do at the nationals?
its a whole series not just one race. I never said he will have a tough time...just a tougher time winning the AMA championship vs the World championship. Again I also said I beleive he has a chance.
Dingle Beary
2/17/2011 4:17pm
I wish Ken was riding the Nationals. Love the kids style and passion for racing. He'd probably turn me gay if he rode a Honda.
bearded clam
2/17/2011 4:32pm
What about Marvin Musquin? O I forgot, hes coming from the GPs so he cant be competitive in the US can he? I think the US...
What about Marvin Musquin? O I forgot, hes coming from the GPs so he cant be competitive in the US can he?

I think the US lites and the MX2 class in the GPs is very similar in speed. In the big class I think the US field is a bit deeper.
jamma10 wrote:
Yeah and you can add names to that list but it wont make Amy diffrence. As soon as they are proven winners in US they belong...
Yeah and you can add names to that list but it wont make Amy diffrence. As soon as they are proven winners in US they belong to that field.
This will probably go on for ever.
The only chance to change their minds is to have 2 former GP-riders sweeping both classes in the US in their first year but that would probably wont do it either.
The only chance to change their minds is to have 2 former GP-riders sweeping both classes in the US in their first year but that would probably wont do it either.

That will never ever happen w/ guys like we have had from Hannah, Bailey and Ward, Mcgrath, Carmichael, Bubba and now Villopoto and Dungey. Never happen!
bearded clam
2/17/2011 4:36pm
I wish Ken was riding the Nationals. Love the kids style and passion for racing. He'd probably turn me gay if he rode a Honda.
Thats what my whole thing was about...I wish he was riding here...I am a big fan...been really hopeing he can squeez out a win in the sx series! I have nothing against any of those guys...good racing is good racing plain and simple. Im glad these guys do come overe here...just adds to the depth and excitment. Loved that Desalle came over for a race!
jemcee
2/17/2011 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2011 7:17pm
Actually I have been around motocross since I was a baby. My dads good buddy was a factory yamaha mech for Burgett and I was fortunate...
Actually I have been around motocross since I was a baby. My dads good buddy was a factory yamaha mech for Burgett and I was fortunate enough to be in the Yamaha Factory on pleanty of occasions over my whole childhood.
I have been racer since I was 10 and still race to this day....vet Intermediate. I have also done testing for a factory and a magazine.
Also for the last 10 years my buisness has been involved with 2 factory teams and a sat team. I have been a part of both world championships as well as AMA championships. I am in the factories on a regular basis working on making the bikes better.
I actually do really know motocross very very well. All I said was I beleive Roczen will have a tougher time over here then he would in the GP's...just my opinion but judging by all the others that dominated over there to come over here and had a tought time prove my point. I also said I beleive he and Musquin do stand a chance of winning the AMA championship. Just my opinion...I never said anyone sucks...thay are all great riders but these new american lights riders are some of the most talented I have seen in a long time and I truly beleive their level is above what GP's have this year. Again just my opinion
wow, all that and you still have no idea!

Post a reply to: Ken Roczen to race on 350 @ Daytona and SLC

The Latest