Keith McCarty- Pulp article: Most powerful people in moto

colorado2day
Keith McCarty has been around longer than any of the guys rated above him ?

Great Guy and Great Article on Racer X Open-mic-Keith-McCarty

Pulpmx.com _Top-30-most-powerful /influential-people in SX/MX

Vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related _Pulp-article-most-powerful-people-in-moto

|
kkawboy14
12/26/2016 3:03pm
It's not a who's the oldest competition, it's when so and so's talking, how many people are listening deal!
IceMan446
12/26/2016 3:10pm
Keith McCarty has been around longer than any of the guys rated above him ? Great Guy and Great Article on[b] Racer X [/b] [url=http://racerxonline.com/2016/12/26/open-mic-keith-mccarty]Open-mic-Keith-McCarty[/url] [url=http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/top-30-most-powerfulinfluential-people-sxmx]Pulpmx.com...
Keith McCarty has been around longer than any of the guys rated above him ?

Great Guy and Great Article on Racer X Open-mic-Keith-McCarty

Pulpmx.com _Top-30-most-powerful /influential-people in SX/MX

Vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related _Pulp-article-most-powerful-people-in-moto

It's about the most powerful In the sport at the current moment.

Not who has been around the longest.
colorado2day
12/26/2016 5:55pm
The Pulp MX ratings are a little out of whack.

Keith has been around at Yamaha a long time. Keith may be too humble to ruffle feathers, but 2 guys higher on Mathes list, Bruce Stjernstrom has been in and out and in at Kawasaki and how long has Takashi Mashima-san been at Honda ?

2 other guys highly rated both work for Monster Energy (and doesn't Mitch Covingtons' kid race in the Youthstream series ?), so what happens to them when Monster goes all NASCAR on us ?

The real Point was Keith should get more respect when Cooper Webb starts to kick everyone's ass.

Read the article ? http://racerxonline.com/2016/12/26/open-mic-keith-mccarty

McCarty on the right

ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/26/2016 6:32pm
People really aren't wrapping their heads around this list as it was meant...

The Shop

DE262
12/26/2016 6:52pm
ML512 wrote:
Geeez no kidding.

-on another note, cool to see the "Castle Rock" cover headline on that old magazine though!
Sideways Saturday nights,hot dogs and beer. Love it.
JW381
12/26/2016 6:52pm
I like Steve's article.
Coyote
12/26/2016 7:05pm
[b]The Pulp MX ratings are a little out of whack.[/b] Keith has been around at Yamaha a long time. Keith may be too humble to ruffle...
The Pulp MX ratings are a little out of whack.

Keith has been around at Yamaha a long time. Keith may be too humble to ruffle feathers, but 2 guys higher on Mathes list, Bruce Stjernstrom has been in and out and in at Kawasaki and how long has Takashi Mashima-san been at Honda ?

2 other guys highly rated both work for Monster Energy (and doesn't Mitch Covingtons' kid race in the Youthstream series ?), so what happens to them when Monster goes all NASCAR on us ?

The real Point was Keith should get more respect when Cooper Webb starts to kick everyone's ass.

Read the article ? http://racerxonline.com/2016/12/26/open-mic-keith-mccarty

McCarty on the right

McCarty shot Hannah with a paint ball gun once and Hannah waited for McCarty to forget about it for awhile and waited for Keith to have his shirt off and then shot him from about point blank, had to just frikkin sting but McCarty just called him an asshole and continued working on the bike
Jimmy_Sloan
12/27/2016 12:03am
ML512 wrote:
What do you mean?
C-Rock
12/27/2016 1:22am
ML512 wrote:
C'mon, you have to admit Colorado hit straight up THE interesting point.
Tongue
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/27/2016 8:45am
ML512 wrote:
What do you mean?
"Keith should get more respect when Cooper Webb starts to kick everyone's butt"

So Keith should get the credit for Cooper stepping up and putting in work for the 450 class?

This list is based around the current power and control these people hold (as it's been mentioned multiple times before), not the time they've been around. Personally, I wouldn't place McCarty ahead of Stjernstrom, Mashima, or Covington...

Up until the last year or so, his direct connection with moto has been fairly low without Yamaha having a direct factory team. Even now, the team is fairly tight on budget (they ended up not being able to hire Wilson, even after JGR left and what should've been leftover budget). Leaving the team with two support riders indoors (three if you count Tommy Hahn at Rock River) and one outdoors with Webb (two if you count Hahn). The current Yamaha team is more dependent on outside sponsorship than before, leaving their strength is held back a bit when compared to the stuff Mashima is doing at HRC, plus what Stjerstrom has with Kawi and his connection to Monster.
colorado2day
12/27/2016 11:40am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2016 12:44pm
Good well thought out points Cool

I hadnt taken into account Yamaha's recent lack of a factory team.

But you still have to think Mr. McCarty should rank top 10. The guy has to have forgotten more than most will ever know.

The Honda and Kawasaki guys have had more pull because they have had Factory MX Teams ?

But McCarty was behind the scenes with Star, which won more recently on the 250s than either Honda or Kawasaki.

And of course the JGR fiasco for Yamaha doesn't bode well. But I guess we will know how that begins to play out by A2 ?

McCarty is also not just Moto, but runs Yamaha's entire US racing program ?

We all know Monster plays a huge role in things currently, but with Monsters foray into Nascar, and their superior Television package, having Monster execs in such positions cannot bode well for the industry ?
FWYT
12/27/2016 11:52am
Obviously that list is a sham as I don't see Dirt Shark anywhere . . . .

Smile
JW381
12/27/2016 3:45pm
FWYT wrote:
Obviously that list is a sham as I don't see Dirt Shark anywhere . . . .

Smile
I quit reading after Brotocross wasn't Top 3.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
12/27/2016 4:07pm
Its a power and influence list. Not a who is the coolest most knowledgeable old school guy in the industry list. Otherwise Roger tops the list closely followed by Mitch Payton then daylight third.

Take it for what it is, one mans opinion on a subjective topic. Or come up with your own list and organize it however you like.
TeamGreen
12/27/2016 5:45pm
ML512 wrote:
I got it when Matthes wrote it and I still felt it was somewhat up-side-down ...especially where "Money=Influence".

About Politics: Kevin at the AMA? Yup, I'd move him up towards the top. Why? That's HIS Rule-Book. It still HAS plenty of "Influence" on how OEM Moto-Models are made.

The Energy Drink Factor: If Mitch Covington is 4th -&- Mark Hall is 2nd? Well, I'm putting Kelso in the Top 10, too, since it's obviously about the $$$.
Again, where's the Red Bull Mktg boss's name? There's a Whole LOT of Red-Bull dollars in this game. So, Jeremy's name needs to move up...quite a bit. What's that logo on ALL those factory KTMs on EVERY CONTINENT that they race on from the GPs to The Dakar to...well, here?
Money, Money, get some! Those 3 brands foot THE bill.

The OEM's: Jon Erik Burleson? Hello!? Until VERY recently, as in...today...waaaay up toward the top. All those Orange & White Dollars were at his discretion. Damn, I'm gonna miss that dude. An absolute Class Act & VERY Moto. He's moving on; but, he's been The Boss these last few years...Red Bull KTM, TLD-KTM, Butler Bros/Rocky Mt. KTM, KTM Off-Road, Rockstar Husky MX, Rockstar Husky Off-Road & the growing Am. Programs for BOTH brands? ALL Jon Erik. Davi goes to Canada? Jon Erik! The BOSS!

Then there's Takashi "Sam" Mashima from Honda. Wow. Soooooo much influence...IN & OUT of our purview that covers ALL Racing for Honda. Team "Honda", The Gieco Team, JCR Off-Road...and other possible upcoming surprises...including pavement...All...Sam. So, uh-yeah: I'm moving that name up, too. That New CRF-R & RX? There's A LOT of Sam and his "Damn Yankees" in that scoot; hence, INFLUENCE.

The After-Market: I literally have NO Idea HOW you have a list like this and Don Emler's name ain't on it? The dude has "hand written" checks to send Teams and Privateers to the races...& MXON...& the GPs...etc. And when you go there that brings up LaPorte and his "invisible hand"...

Mitch's name (Payton) is in it's proper place...maybe higher? He's involved in EVERTHING...MXoN picks...who goes where...etc.

So, I'm not Bagging on Matthes. I just think who and where the money and decisions actually come from is a bit different than represented on this list. The events that Feld/MX Sports produce and Who races for Whom are at the discretion of the various Brands and OEMs...NOT the other way around.

But, I could be wrong.

Sideways
colorado2day
12/27/2016 7:01pm
ML512 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I got it when Matthes wrote it and I still felt it was somewhat up-side-down ...especially where "Money=Influence". About Politics: Kevin at the AMA? Yup, I'd...
I got it when Matthes wrote it and I still felt it was somewhat up-side-down ...especially where "Money=Influence".

About Politics: Kevin at the AMA? Yup, I'd move him up towards the top. Why? That's HIS Rule-Book. It still HAS plenty of "Influence" on how OEM Moto-Models are made.

The Energy Drink Factor: If Mitch Covington is 4th -&- Mark Hall is 2nd? Well, I'm putting Kelso in the Top 10, too, since it's obviously about the $$$.
Again, where's the Red Bull Mktg boss's name? There's a Whole LOT of Red-Bull dollars in this game. So, Jeremy's name needs to move up...quite a bit. What's that logo on ALL those factory KTMs on EVERY CONTINENT that they race on from the GPs to The Dakar to...well, here?

The OEM's: Jon Erik Burleson? Hello!? Until VERY recently, as in...today...waaaay up toward the top. All those Orange & White Dollars were at his discretion. Damn, I'm gonna miss that dude. An absolute Class Act & VERY Moto. He's moving on; but, he's been The Boss these last few years...Red Bull KTM, TLD-KTM, Butler Bros/Rocky Mt. KTM, KTM Off-Road, Rockstar Husky MX, Rockstar Husky Off-Road & the growing Am. Programs for BOTH brands? ALL Jon Erik. Davi goes to Canada? Jon Erik! The BOSS!

Then there's Takashi "Sam" Mashima from Honda. Wow. Soooooo much influence...IN & OUT of our purview that covers ALL Racing for Honda. Team "Honda", The Gieco Team, JCR Off-Road...and other possible upcoming surprises...including pavement...All...Sam. So, uh-yeah: I'm moving that name up, too. That New CRF-R & RX? There's A LOT of Sam and his "Damn Yankees" in that scoot; hence, INFLUENCE.

The After-Market: I literally have NO Idea HOW you have a list like this and Don Emler's name ain't on it? The dude has "hand written" checks to send Teams and Privateers to the races...& MXON...& the GPs...etc. And when you go there that brings up LaPorte and his "invisible hand"...

Mitch's name (Payton) is in it's proper place...maybe higher? He's involved in EVERTHING...MXoN picks...who goes where...etc.

So, I'm not Bagging on Matthes. I just think who and where the money and decisions actually come from is a bit different than represented on this list. The events that Feld/MX Sports produce and Who races for Whom are at the discretion of the various Brands and OEMs...NOT the other way around.

But, I could be wrong.

Sideways
There ya go. Team Green got it. Just thought a semi-intelligent conversation about Matthes List was in order. Somebody else had started a thread about the pulp mx list on Vital and that thread had died.
Matthes
12/27/2016 7:49pm
ML512 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I got it when Matthes wrote it and I still felt it was somewhat up-side-down ...especially where "Money=Influence". About Politics: Kevin at the AMA? Yup, I'd...

But, I could be wrong.

Sideways

TeamGreen wrote:

About Kevin at AMA- Like the guy, he's awesome but the AMA's presence in SX is overruled by the FIM and according to many people close to the situation, Feld guys are making the calls/consulted. AMA is not in the nationals outside of the number one plate being handed out. MX Sports officials handle at the races. It's laughable that you say they have influence on what models are made, they barely have influence on the sport anymore and that's a huge issue. They need to be more involved and I say that in the story.

Energy drink guys--Monster much ahead of Rockstar because they 1- have bigger names/bigger teams than Rockstar and two, they are title on the entire SX series and have enormous pull with that series which is bigger than motocross. They're more aggressive than Rockstar in every way, spend way more also.

I couldn't really get Mallot's boss's name, I tried but in the end he's got pull there, he works with the athletes directly and the Straight Rhythm is all his idea which is considered a big off-season race. Probably my bad for giving up. If you read the beginning of the story you know that the list is for American SX/MX racing only so the "every continent" doesn't matter to me.

Uhhh, you know Jon-Erik has moved on from being president right? Why would he be on a list that is supposed to represent the current power/influence? I'm not disputing nice guy and all that but he's out. Time will tell if the new guy is into it like JEB

He's on the list and pretty high IMO. If you read the beginning of the story you know that the list is for American SX/MX racing only so "JCR off-road and pavement" doesn't matter to me for this lists purpose.

Donnie was on the initial list and FMF does a lot for the sport but Donnie's way too nice a guy (as is LD) to really be heavy handed in what happens in the sport. They support it with money and product but he's not pushing hard in the sport of SX/MX to have FMF everywhere. I wanted to keep the list to 20, then 30 and if he goes on (RC was in the mix as was Jody), who comes off?

Actually Mitch has been pushed aside the last few years (I mention this in the article) and doesn't have really anything to do with the MXDN team anymore. And he's not stoked on this.

The big bosses at some OEM's have told me "If 'X Energy Drink' said they were out, we wouldn't be racing" so that makes those guys pretty powerful. The way that Feld has sort of steamrolled over the OEM's in the last decade in terms of not giving back tells me that the OEM's, by virtue of quitting racing (Yamaha) and depending on energy drinks so much, are letting Feld know that they're the power players here. If the OEM's were really in charge, they would work things out with Feld to share the wealth because they're supplying the stars. So Feld>energy drinks>OEM's

But, I could be wrong.

You are but that's ok. The list did what I wanted it to do which was get some bench racing going and maybe educate some fans about who is who in the industry. Am I right? Nah, but I got it in the ballpark thanks to the help of about 7-8 people (some very high on the list) to figure it all out.

Coyote
12/27/2016 7:57pm
can't believe jon eriks out, somethings not right here, i know it wouldn't take too much to piss off any of the 3 above him and to be labled a "brand ambassador" now for Husqvarna...doesn't go down to ez for me!!
TeamGreen
12/27/2016 8:19pm
ML512 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

But, I could be wrong.

Sideways
Matthes wrote:
TeamGreen wrote: I got it when Matthes wrote it and I still felt it was somewhat up-side-down ...especially where "Money=Influence". About Politics: Kevin at the AMA...

TeamGreen wrote:

About Kevin at AMA- Like the guy, he's awesome but the AMA's presence in SX is overruled by the FIM and according to many people close to the situation, Feld guys are making the calls/consulted. AMA is not in the nationals outside of the number one plate being handed out. MX Sports officials handle at the races. It's laughable that you say they have influence on what models are made, they barely have influence on the sport anymore and that's a huge issue. They need to be more involved and I say that in the story.

Energy drink guys--Monster much ahead of Rockstar because they 1- have bigger names/bigger teams than Rockstar and two, they are title on the entire SX series and have enormous pull with that series which is bigger than motocross. They're more aggressive than Rockstar in every way, spend way more also.

I couldn't really get Mallot's boss's name, I tried but in the end he's got pull there, he works with the athletes directly and the Straight Rhythm is all his idea which is considered a big off-season race. Probably my bad for giving up. If you read the beginning of the story you know that the list is for American SX/MX racing only so the "every continent" doesn't matter to me.

Uhhh, you know Jon-Erik has moved on from being president right? Why would he be on a list that is supposed to represent the current power/influence? I'm not disputing nice guy and all that but he's out. Time will tell if the new guy is into it like JEB

He's on the list and pretty high IMO. If you read the beginning of the story you know that the list is for American SX/MX racing only so "JCR off-road and pavement" doesn't matter to me for this lists purpose.

Donnie was on the initial list and FMF does a lot for the sport but Donnie's way too nice a guy (as is LD) to really be heavy handed in what happens in the sport. They support it with money and product but he's not pushing hard in the sport of SX/MX to have FMF everywhere. I wanted to keep the list to 20, then 30 and if he goes on (RC was in the mix as was Jody), who comes off?

Actually Mitch has been pushed aside the last few years (I mention this in the article) and doesn't have really anything to do with the MXDN team anymore. And he's not stoked on this.

The big bosses at some OEM's have told me "If 'X Energy Drink' said they were out, we wouldn't be racing" so that makes those guys pretty powerful. The way that Feld has sort of steamrolled over the OEM's in the last decade in terms of not giving back tells me that the OEM's, by virtue of quitting racing (Yamaha) and depending on energy drinks so much, are letting Feld know that they're the power players here. If the OEM's were really in charge, they would work things out with Feld to share the wealth because they're supplying the stars. So Feld>energy drinks>OEM's

But, I could be wrong.

You are but that's ok. The list did what I wanted it to do which was get some bench racing going and maybe educate some fans about who is who in the industry. Am I right? Nah, but I got it in the ballpark thanks to the help of about 7-8 people (some very high on the list) to figure it all out.

I love the intent of the article and the response; but, there's a few flies in the ointment...

1. Jon Erik is just "now" departed...as in "just now". That was a point I made. As to who's affected "who is riding Orange right now"? You'd have to admit that JEB has had his influence all over that!

2. Who's Sam's "Team Sponsor"? Who's "Suzuki's"...hence, RCH's..? OEM's will go racing with or without out-side money as long as they feel it affects their sales numbers.

3. I'm very familiar with "what" the OEM's say...and that's their thing; but, they're still "Their own bosses" of their own brand. They love letting the Energy Guys pay the bills...yet...
The KTM's are still Orange...
The Kawasaki's are the same Green that they were before Mitch and Monster...
Husky is still White...
Those Yamaha's are Corporate Blue.
So, there's always that.

I really, really like your take on Big-n-Lil D.
Seems to me Mr. Payton still has A LOT more say than many want to give him credit for and we'll just have to disagree on that one.

I think our greatest variance in thought is between the amount of influence you give the promoters versus the brands. That's all.

As for Kevin at the AMA...? I'd have to say that many of those in authoritative potions have deferred to him wisely and conveniently to the point where I'd have to ask...
What does the modern 450 weigh and why?
What's the current rule for ALL U.S. Pro National racing on Model Homologation?
What rules are used for "BOTH" SX & MX and who is the keeper of said rules?

At the end of the day, again, I absolutely love the article and the thought that went into it. I just come up with some different answers when I think of the various people in this sport and the power they yield. We'll have to discuss this further at A1 with Kenny (Adams) & a few others that'll have a "deep perspective" on the subject.
TeamGreen
12/27/2016 8:21pm
Coyote wrote:
can't believe jon eriks out, somethings not right here, i know it wouldn't take too much to piss off any of the 3 above him and...
can't believe jon eriks out, somethings not right here, i know it wouldn't take too much to piss off any of the 3 above him and to be labled a "brand ambassador" now for Husqvarna...doesn't go down to ez for me!!
Bums me out, too.

The good news? They've still got guys that ride Dirt-Bikes running the Companies.
colorado2day
12/27/2016 8:58pm
The list that Steve did on Pulpmx.com got us to do some bench racing and educated some fans about who is who in the industry. Is Matthes right? Nah, but he got it in the ballpark

I still Think Davey should be No.1 !

Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2016 1:08 PM

I hafta disagree Todd Jendro is the most powerful person in Moto ?

Davey Coombs has to be the most powerful person in Moto.

Todd has no magazine or website and works for Feld.Todd just runs the circus for the Circus.

DC on the other hand has written Racerhead every Friday almost without fail for years, runs the outdoors and reps the NPG to Daytona motorsports group and the AMA thru MX Sports.

Runs Racer X which employees Matthes and everybody's favorite munchkin David Pingree + countless others. DC's family runs the biggest AMA Amateur MX event in the world at Loretta Lynns thru MX Sports with qualifiers all over the country. And his sister, brother n law and nephew rule GNCC, which in 2016 set a record for attendance. And Who's Dad is the east/west SX shootout named after ?

So how does Jendro rate No. 1 against that ? Because Matthes was afraid to call his boss No. 1 ?

Also gotta say Eric Peronnard should rate higher. As the guy who brought Endurocross to America, runs the X Games Moto segments for ESPN, invented the US Open which is now the Monster Cup, ran Mini Moto, has a hand in promoting Euro SX in the off-season and the TKO. The likeable Frenchman has done more for US motorcycling than most.
TeamGreen
12/27/2016 9:03pm
[b][i]The list that Steve did on [url=http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/top-30-most-powerfulinfluential-people-sxmx]Pulpmx.com[/url] got us to do some bench racing and educated some fans about who is who in the industry. Is...
The list that Steve did on Pulpmx.com got us to do some bench racing and educated some fans about who is who in the industry. Is Matthes right? Nah, but he got it in the ballpark

Todd has no magazine or website and works for Feld.Todd just runs the circus for the Circus.

DC on the other hand has written Racerhead every Friday almost without fail for years, runs the outdoors and reps the NPG to Daytona motorsports group and the AMA thru MX Sports.

Runs Racer X which employees Matthes and everybody's favorite munchkin David Pingree + countless others. DC's family runs the biggest AMA Amateur MX event in the world at Loretta Lynns thru MX Sports with qualifiers all over the country. And his sister, brother n law and nephew rule GNCC, which in 2016 set a record for attendance. And Who's Dad is the east/west SX shootout named after ?

So how does Jendro rate No. 1 against that ? Because Matthes was afraid to call his boss No. 1 ?

Also gotta say Eric Peronnard should rate higher. As the guy who brought Endurocross to America, runs the X Games Moto segments for ESPN, invented the US Open which is now the Monster Cup, ran Mini Moto, has a hand in promoting Euro SX in the off-season and the TKO. The likeable Frenchman has done more for US motorcycling than most.
Doesn't EP put on Straight Rhythm?
colorado2day
12/27/2016 9:15pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2016 9:18pm
[b][i]The list that Steve did on [url=http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/top-30-most-powerfulinfluential-people-sxmx]Pulpmx.com[/url] got us to do some bench racing and educated some fans about who is who in the industry. Is...

TeamGreen wrote:
Doesn't EP put on Straight Rhythm?
Yes. The likeable Frenchman had hand in Straight Rythm and at the USGP in Charlotte and Glen Helen. He also reps Fox in Europe in I believe. But since he works with Youthstream a bit I dont believe he and MX Sports are very tight.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
12/28/2016 12:25am
"23- Jeremy Mallot, Motorsports Marketing Manager, Red Bull- The Red Bull Straight Rhythm was 100% Mallot’s idea and his stable of athletes runs deep. Red Bull does things a lot different than the other energy drinks so Jeremy’s not ranked that high here but with the success of the RBSR and the names he works with, he deserves to be on here. If Red Bull got aggressive, like we’re talking Monster aggressive, he’d be much higher."

- A member on here came up with the idea for straight rhythm. Either that was Jeremy, or Jeremy saw that post.
TomZ
Fantasy
4428th
12/28/2016 8:01am
motokiwi wrote:
"23- Jeremy Mallot, Motorsports Marketing Manager, Red Bull- The Red Bull Straight Rhythm [b]was 100% Mallot’s idea[/b] and his stable of athletes runs deep. Red Bull...
"23- Jeremy Mallot, Motorsports Marketing Manager, Red Bull- The Red Bull Straight Rhythm was 100% Mallot’s idea and his stable of athletes runs deep. Red Bull does things a lot different than the other energy drinks so Jeremy’s not ranked that high here but with the success of the RBSR and the names he works with, he deserves to be on here. If Red Bull got aggressive, like we’re talking Monster aggressive, he’d be much higher."

- A member on here came up with the idea for straight rhythm. Either that was Jeremy, or Jeremy saw that post.
Great discussion everyone.

MotoKiwi - Jeremy does post on Vital occasionally. I recall a situation where someone questioned his knowledge on something related to RBSR. I laughed.

colorado2day
12/28/2016 10:52am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2016 8:41pm
If Coombs wasn't so humble this would be a great Halloween Costume for him. The Whiz !

Post a reply to: Keith McCarty- Pulp article: Most powerful people in moto

The Latest