KYB PSF revalve

Red7
Edited Date/Time 5/28/2015 8:52pm
I have a low hour kx450f that has the KYB PSF forks (same as Honda) and I'm wanting to get them revalved. Its seems like it's mainly the midvalve that needs work. I realize there are a bunch of companies out there and some that sell kits to do it myself (which I'm cool with) but is there one that really seems to have mastered the psf? I'm 6' 190 lbs vet that rides mostly mx/sx with the occasional trails. I'm really going after plush but still firm enough. I don't plan to race so speed isn't priority but like to jump and want a ride that gives enough to keep my aging body (with bad knees, wrists, neck) in the game as long as possible. Thanks!
|
slipdog
5/5/2015 3:51pm
Everyone throw out the company they use in 3, 2, 1...
Darryl916
5/5/2015 4:35pm
Can't really go wrong as long as you stick with a local dude that comes highly recommended with a good reputation or send it to any of the big names. For your application they will all be about the same in the end.

*One word of advice though, if the big name you go with is Factory Connection, send it to their main location, not one of their closer "certified" shops. I've heard bad things from people doing that, getting very un-factory connection results.
TeamGreen
5/5/2015 5:44pm
My 13/14 KX450s were revalved by PC & they're better than any of my "spring" forks.

Thanks Patrick & Bones!
Red7
5/5/2015 6:22pm
I totally get there are a bunch of opinions when it comes to suspensions so my original post was because i realize the PSF is a little different (and seemingly short lived) so wondered if some companies really have it dialed vs others.

Regarding local, there's a local guy that uses Racetech and seems to have a good presence at the local track so that's an option I'm considering. Another consideration is getting one of the midvalve kits from them, smart performance, etc to learn more about it and be able to fine tune if necessary. Any thoughts on a kit vs having it done. Thanks!

The Shop

Red7
5/5/2015 6:40pm
TeamGreen wrote:
My 13/14 KX450s were revalved by PC & they're better than any of my "spring" forks.

Thanks Patrick & Bones!
I've heard a few people say these psf were as good as it gets once dialed in.
TeamGreen
5/5/2015 6:46pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Thanks Patrick & Bones!
Red7 wrote:
They really do work REALLY WELL with the new Mid-Valve
Red7
5/5/2015 7:16pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Thanks Patrick & Bones!
Red7 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
They really do work REALLY WELL with the new Mid-Valve
Did you have them do the shock as well or was that fine? What did it cost at PC? Did any factory riders (Honda or Kawi) run the PSF? I'm so far from that it doesn't matter but just curious.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
5/6/2015 1:57pm
Red7 wrote:
I totally get there are a bunch of opinions when it comes to suspensions so my original post was because i realize the PSF is a...
I totally get there are a bunch of opinions when it comes to suspensions so my original post was because i realize the PSF is a little different (and seemingly short lived) so wondered if some companies really have it dialed vs others.

Regarding local, there's a local guy that uses Racetech and seems to have a good presence at the local track so that's an option I'm considering. Another consideration is getting one of the midvalve kits from them, smart performance, etc to learn more about it and be able to fine tune if necessary. Any thoughts on a kit vs having it done. Thanks!
If you're speaking about Ronnie at SIX12 - don't hesitate. He works very closely with us and is up to speed with all the latest and greatest. He's part owner of one track and down the street from another, so getting trackside support is easy also as I'm sure you've seen.

The hard things for smaller shops with newer technology (like airforks) is the sheer volume they are able to do in a year will limit the amount of data they can gather. It isn't that they can't build a great setup for many of them, but the more data the easier it is to find the middle ground for each skill level/weight and then factor in personal preferences on top of that. A few hundred sets through a local shop is a good year, where your bigger companies do that easily in a month. That is without mentioning the technology and tools that the bigger companies are able to afford (and larger teams of smart people to approach setups in their own ways.) At the same point, your local guy is local and available for support as well. It's a bit of a double edged sword.

Going with your local Race Tech Center is nice because they have access to all of the settings/testing/development from the Race Tech network while still being local to you to provide that easy support and tuning. Especially if you are by an RTC like SIX12.

As far as the PSF is concerned in general, the biggest thing is reducing the friction. Because the seals have a ton of pressure on them because of the air spring, they have more drag. It is extremely important to run quality seals and fluids to help reduce this. Our Race Tech setups are also being built to hold the front end up a bit more with valving using lower air pressures, because the lower the pressure, the less drag.

Hope that helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions as well. My email is chris@racetech.com.

Don't forget the VitalMX discount!
Red7
5/12/2015 12:42pm
Red7 wrote:
I totally get there are a bunch of opinions when it comes to suspensions so my original post was because i realize the PSF is a...

If you're speaking about Ronnie at SIX12 - don't hesitate. He works very closely with us and is up to speed with all the latest and...
If you're speaking about Ronnie at SIX12 - don't hesitate. He works very closely with us and is up to speed with all the latest and greatest. He's part owner of one track and down the street from another, so getting trackside support is easy also as I'm sure you've seen.

The hard things for smaller shops with newer technology (like airforks) is the sheer volume they are able to do in a year will limit the amount of data they can gather. It isn't that they can't build a great setup for many of them, but the more data the easier it is to find the middle ground for each skill level/weight and then factor in personal preferences on top of that. A few hundred sets through a local shop is a good year, where your bigger companies do that easily in a month. That is without mentioning the technology and tools that the bigger companies are able to afford (and larger teams of smart people to approach setups in their own ways.) At the same point, your local guy is local and available for support as well. It's a bit of a double edged sword.

Going with your local Race Tech Center is nice because they have access to all of the settings/testing/development from the Race Tech network while still being local to you to provide that easy support and tuning. Especially if you are by an RTC like SIX12.

As far as the PSF is concerned in general, the biggest thing is reducing the friction. Because the seals have a ton of pressure on them because of the air spring, they have more drag. It is extremely important to run quality seals and fluids to help reduce this. Our Race Tech setups are also being built to hold the front end up a bit more with valving using lower air pressures, because the lower the pressure, the less drag.

Hope that helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions as well. My email is chris@racetech.com.

Don't forget the VitalMX discount!
Thanks for the info Chris and others that have posted! That's been kind of my dilemma....sending it to Enzo, PC, FC who've done tons of PSF revalves vs the local who hasn't done the shear volume but is right there to back it up (and help educate me). I know at my level I can't appreciate the difference between great vs an absolutely dialed in suspension.

So I guess my last question would be, if the price was the same at a big name such as Enzo vs a local guy, would you prefer the local support or the company with more experience (at least volume wise)? Thanks again!
Junebug833
5/12/2015 12:47pm
Red7 wrote:
I have a low hour kx450f that has the KYB PSF forks (same as Honda) and I'm wanting to get them revalved. Its seems like it's...
I have a low hour kx450f that has the KYB PSF forks (same as Honda) and I'm wanting to get them revalved. Its seems like it's mainly the midvalve that needs work. I realize there are a bunch of companies out there and some that sell kits to do it myself (which I'm cool with) but is there one that really seems to have mastered the psf? I'm 6' 190 lbs vet that rides mostly mx/sx with the occasional trails. I'm really going after plush but still firm enough. I don't plan to race so speed isn't priority but like to jump and want a ride that gives enough to keep my aging body (with bad knees, wrists, neck) in the game as long as possible. Thanks!
Where are you located?
5/12/2015 1:49pm
Enzo, they specialize in kyb, are very affordable, dont try to sell ya bling that u dont need, fast turn around, I dont know where u live, but local tuners dont have half the resources either
Red7
5/28/2015 10:45am
I screwed up big time. After researching I planned to send the suspension to Enzo or possibly JBI but some local guys at the track said the local guy was really good and having him there to help dial me in would be really valuable since I don't know much about suspensions so I let them sway me. I was second guessing myself big time after dropping off the bike knowing that even though he has lots of experience with spring forks, he probably would have limited experience with these air forks.

I told him I'm not fast but being older I needed them firm but plush to not bottom out because with my old joints, any bottoming goes straight to the wrist, knees, ankles, etc. I told him I didn't plan on racing so I wasn't as concerned about the bike being great everywhere as I was not going metal on metal and bottoming on bigger jumps. I got the bike back with clickers set in anout the middle (15 clicks comp) and the bike actually bottomed easier than stock (though it did feel much better around the rest of the track). When I say bottoming I'm not talking casing a huge sx triple landing into the wall but if I landed short on a 80' table it would bottom pretty darn hard and seemed to go right through the stroke. He said it should bottom out if I don't land just right and if I went too stiff on the compression it would make it too stiff the rest of the track so he went 2 clicks stiffer and a lb stiffer to 36 psi. This still seemed too soft to me (more like my old WR450 trail bike when I jumped that) cuz if I didn't land right in the sweet spot of the transitions it would bottom but he said to keep riding it that way and we'd keep working it. Man even in rollers and whoops it seemed to use nearly all the travel. Just no bottoming resistance at all even with all these expensive valves inside.

Well, on freaking Monday I went to a new track that had a pro track with some bigger jumps. I was jumping all the tables and big doubles and I was measuring a triple, did the double a couple times then went a little too long before jumping the triple and cased the triple and broke my right ankle really bad. I didn't crash but I blew through the stroke so fast that I was metal on metal immediately with my body absorbing the rest. I rolled over the triple knowing I broke my ankle and pulled off the side nearly passing out from the pain and absolutely furious that having too soft a suspension just cost me a fortune and probably ended my MX riding. I don't have insurance so I'll be paying for everything out of pocket plus I own my own business so I will have no income for the next 6 weeks. I broke both tib and fib in multiple places and basically crushed my ankle so I will most likely have to have another surgery in a couple weeks.

I checked my air in the forks right before that session and had 38 psi (I weigh 190 lbs without gear) so it had to be the valving that was too soft right? Is he right that the forks should bottom if I don't land perfect or was it setup too soft? I can't imagine the valving was right and still bottom so easy but is it the air pressure or the valving that is supposed to provide bottoming resistance?

I'm just sick because I was riding good and having more fun then I've ever had on a bike since I got back into it 6 weeks ago. I thought I was being smart holding myself back from jumping until I got a really great suspension on it. I also spent twice what a lot of guys pay to have their suspension done thinking well it's worth it to spend that much if it keeps me from getting hurt. The stock suspension may have absorbed that hit better as it seemed to bottom even easier. Between hospital bills, surgeries and lost work this may cost me close to $50k depending upon how long I can't work.

If I can ride again, what do I do now? Had I gone way stiffer with the compression was all that it would have taken to keep it from bottoming without giving me a harsh ride or was it just not setup stiff enough for me? He watched me going around the track and said it looked good and that he didn't recommend I go stiffer so I went with his recommendation since he's the expert. I'm purposefully going to not give any details as the guy is a nice guy and I'm not wanting to make waves but I need to educate myself more before I go back to him and tell him what his soft suspension did to me.

One thing that really raised question marks with me was I had 3-4 big name companies tell me that a dialed in PSF fork is about as good as a non pro can get and they had better feedback on those than what they've been able to get with the 2015 Showa. When I asked this guy about the PSF (when he already had the bike in hand) he said, it wasn't a very good fork. I was getting a check at that moment and should have aborted and shipped out my suspension but didn't and it cost me big time. Not sure what to do now if I decide to keep riding.
Red7
5/28/2015 10:46am
Btw, I had him do both the shock and forks.
Junebug833
5/28/2015 11:07am
Wow Red7 I am sorry to hear about your injury and hope everything goes well with recovery. As far as the suspension goes I'm not sure I agree with what he told you about blowing through the stroke if you come up short on a jump like that...I weigh 215 walking around and with my stock setup I had the clickers almost as stiff as it would go I'm thinking maybe 6 out from stiffest on the comp and almost all the way stiff on the rebound and ran 38psi in the forks with 42 being the max I didn't want to push and blow the seals so that's when I made some calls and spoke with Eric Szalay with SRS Suspension here in NE Ohio and he told me exactly what we would have to do and the way he would do it. He did a complete revalve on the forks and shock and upped the spring rate on the shock and I now run the forks about half way on the clickers about 14 or 15 I can't remember exactly and 34psi but there is plenty of room for adjustment and the shock is absolutely amazing not to mention this guy will go above and beyond to help you to the best of his ability to get you dialed. Put it to you this way...he did such a good job that there are a few jumps around here that you can stretch upwards of 100' and basically flat land after coming down about 20' from the air and it feels like you land on pillows. If you would be interested in speaking to him you can PM me for contact info. He's no average Joe Shmo suspension goon this guy has personal connections with very reputable people in this business that can answer questions that he may not be 100% on...he will not steer you in the wrong direction by any means.
Justin345
5/28/2015 11:36am
Man, I'm really sorry to hear that Red7. Hope you can get healed up and back on the bike at some point in the future. As far as your suspension, it should absolutely not be bottoming out like that all the time. I had pro circuit do my 2013 KX KYB suspension and it was great. It was plush and very good suspension but didn't blow through the stroke. It would bottom out on overjumps but nothing like you're describing. When you do get back on the bike, I would bite the bullet and send it to one of the big shops that have the countless hours and countless # of sets they have revalved to really know what works well with the air forks. I love my local suspension guy and I take him all of my stuff when it needs service because he's local and a great guy. But I chose to get my 2013 and the 2015 KX450F suspension valved and set up by Pro Circuit since they had the experience to already know what works really well with the new style forks.

best of luck in your recovery.
slipdog
5/28/2015 12:56pm
Sorry about your bad luck!

Did your guy change the stock mid valve? I ask because I personally believe that is necessary...
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
5/28/2015 2:58pm
Very sorry to hear your hurt. I was going to suggest Barry Mayo of pro action. He is a genius with those and every person at our track uses him. He also has your same bike as you that he rides himself. He can look at anyone's bike and tell you what you need, it uncanny how dialed he is on these bikes suspenders. Heal fast.
Red7
5/28/2015 3:31pm
Yes new mid valves (shiny ones). New valves in shock as well. I think parts alone were over $400 so it should have been much better.

The hard part, for me and the tuner, is that I don't have enough experience to draw on. So i kept it simple, I wanted it firm but still plush with no bottoming. Sitting on the bike I can shove it way into the stroke. In retrospect I wish I had just kept going in on the clickers so that I knew if it would have fixed the bottoming. Or should we have added oil? Or was the valving just wrong ( I have no idea what's going on inside)? When I asked which would keep it from bottoming I didn't get a clear answer. Do you think going from clickers 2/3 stiff to all the way stiff would have remedied the problem or does it sound like something else was off?
Red7
5/28/2015 3:33pm

jtiger12
5/28/2015 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2015 4:56pm
Very sorry to hear this, hope you had insurance

If it felt so soft off the stand, why risk it? Oil adds bottoming resistance
5/28/2015 5:57pm
I think your tuner missed the mark. You're probally a much better rider that's what you made your self out to be when you spoke with him.
When the dust clears from all this, I'd tell him what happened so he can add some low speed compression to your valving. And fork oil!
slipdog
5/28/2015 6:05pm
Red7 wrote:
Yes new mid valves (shiny ones). New valves in shock as well. I think parts alone were over $400 so it should have been much better...
Yes new mid valves (shiny ones). New valves in shock as well. I think parts alone were over $400 so it should have been much better.

The hard part, for me and the tuner, is that I don't have enough experience to draw on. So i kept it simple, I wanted it firm but still plush with no bottoming. Sitting on the bike I can shove it way into the stroke. In retrospect I wish I had just kept going in on the clickers so that I knew if it would have fixed the bottoming. Or should we have added oil? Or was the valving just wrong ( I have no idea what's going on inside)? When I asked which would keep it from bottoming I didn't get a clear answer. Do you think going from clickers 2/3 stiff to all the way stiff would have remedied the problem or does it sound like something else was off?
OK, I think I know what you're saying without saying it.

I nor anyone else here can actually comment with certainty on exactly what was the reason it didn't work well. Like Jtiges said more oil mostly adds bottoming resistance. If it was "blowing through the stroke", that would indicate more than just inadequate oil volume. You're in a situation where you need to get with your tuner and his parent company(that produced the valve body products used) to figure out what direction you need to go.

Ironically I did a full revalve on a '14 KX 450 today, but I have developed a solid set up utilizing OEM valves so nothing I do would relate to anything going on with your set up.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
5/28/2015 7:04pm
If your tuner used Race Tech parts in your bike, I would definitely like to talk to you and do what we can to help out. With a bike as common as a KX450 we have hundreds of setups out there. Something as far off as you are describing doesn't sound right at all.

Again, if it has RT stuff in there, please contact me via email to chris@racetech.com and from there I will give you my cell number and we can see about getting a look inside to see what is going on.

Heal up soon, sucks to hear about anyone getting banged up.
Mit12
5/28/2015 8:44pm
Red7 wrote:
I have a low hour kx450f that has the KYB PSF forks (same as Honda) and I'm wanting to get them revalved. Its seems like it's...
Go to a reputable company, ENZO, Race Tech, Pro Circuit, Noleen, Factory Connection. Be sure to be honst with them about your weight and riding abilities stay away from telling them about being plush or not racing as this information can lead them to go softer. The better information you give them the better they will be able to set up your suspension. Side note you should not bottom out unless you come up way short and even when you do it should not bottom hard.
FWYT
5/28/2015 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2015 8:53pm
OK, I'll be odd man out and say.... do it yourself. It's a little daunting at first what
with all the small parts, and granted you are not going to have the depth of experience the
pro tuners have, but it's very satisfying doing it yourself. I feel like I've dialed in my forks really well.
They feel pretty darn good to me! ('06 CRF450. Different bike, I know.)

There's a massive thread on TT with all sorts of people going through their bikes and people weighing in:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/327668-diy-04-450-suspension-re-valve/…
If you read it a bit, you can kinda start to get the hang of what goes on.

I also replaced the inner cartridge bottom seal and free piston seal by following some clips I found on YouTube.
Neither job was very difficult at all.

Once you've taken things apart a couple times, you'll be REALLY comfortable changing the valving stacks.
You'll be surprised how fast you can knock it out.

The biggest thing you will need is to be CLEAN and ORGANIZED. I lay out a big piece of white butcher paper where I can make notes and keep things tidy. You will also need a notebook for sure to keep track of the changes you make.

It is a somewhat messy job so be prepared for that.

For me, since I like to take my time the first time going through a new job, I pretty much set aside an entire day to
do all the stuff first time around. But once you've taken things apart a couple times, you'll be REALLY comfortable changing the valving stacks. You'll be surprised how fast you can knock it out. If I can do it, so can you. Give it a whirl.
Red7
8/8/2016 9:49am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 10:20am
It's been a long, long recovery but it's time to resurrect this thread and bring you up to date. My injury ended up being way worse than expected. It was a severe Pilon fracture requiring additional surgery, 2 plates and 18 screws to try to piece all the fragments back together. I'll attach an xray if I can. I was non-weight bearing for over 4 months, out of work (no income) for over 5 months and paid a fortune out of pocket since I didn't have insurance. The 2nd Surgeon told me this was a life-altering surgery and that I'd never do a lot of the non-boot wearing sports I regularly do (surfing, snow boarding, rock climbing, etc) but that I should be ok with moderation, skiing and doing other sports with a rigid boot....yes!.... like mx. Probably the most depressing part of the injury is knowing that I'll never be able to run to play sports with my 8 and 11 y/o in the back yard or spend days teaching them to climb in Yosemite or make surf trips to Costa Rica. Those are the mentally most painful aspects of this injury, knowing all the things I dreampt of doing with my kids that my body just won't be able to handle. Needless to say, that was the bad news.

The good news is after a year of physical therapy I'm able to walk most days with only limited amount of pain and life is getting back to my "new normal". I rode my KX450F for the first time last week and it felt great to be back on it. The suspension is crazy soft and actually felt really good for trail riding but is so far off the mark for the SX/MX mix I paid Ronnie at Six12 suspensions to do, hence the injury.

I'm putting that behind me though and am really happy that my suspension is on a truck making it's way to Race Tech as we speak. I can't say enough good things about Chris Riesenberg and the whole Race Tech staff I've dealt with through this process! I was so depressed after my injury that I couldn't even think about my suspension for quite a few months but then I contacted Chris and he's been so supportive and such a class act! Though their in-house shop didn't work on my suspension, he realized it was botched by someone using their parts and so he's been all about making things right so I can safely get back to riding without spending a fortune getting my suspension right since I already spent close to $900 on the local guy (well, $900 + the small fortune on lost wages and medical bills). Ugh, I can't go there...I gotta keep looking forward! I can't wait to get it all back together and ease back into riding again and thanks to Chris and Race Tech, that reality is not that far away.

I thought this dream was crushed and that I'd never ride again but the cool thing is my ankle really didn't hurt at all while riding although I didn't jump anything but small tables with the suspension the way it is. I will have to be very cautious because even with a dialed suspension and my new ankle savers pegs, if I have to eject and come down on this ankle it will not be pretty. Life is good! God is awesome! And my wife is amazing for not leaving me when I mentioned I wanted to start riding again. She's not happy but she will support me in it so I just have to be smart and use self control.

If there is one thing I learned through all this that I could advise others on is if you ever feel that check inside you when you are about to do something, trust in your discernment. I've had that happen twice in the last couple years. One was an investment where when I was writing the check to the guy I felt this check in my spirit but ignored it and lost a bunch of money. The other was when I went to drop off my bike to have the suspension done locally. In talking to the tuner something just didn't feel right and it just seemed like he didn't have as much experience with these air suspensions as he was leading on and I heard several things that were conflicting to what I had heard talking to Enzo, Race Tech, Pro Circuit and other Race shops on the phone. I woke up that next morning really regretting dropping off my bike and I was so tempted to go get it and send out my suspension to California but again, ignored it and it cost me big.

If you are ever doing anything in life and get that feeling inside like something isn't right....stop and listen to it because we all have intuition and discernment but some times we get too busy or stubborn to listen to it.

Ride safe guys and I will update you after I get my suspension back and start riding again!

Race Tech rocks!

Red7
8/8/2016 10:28am

downard254
8/8/2016 10:34am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 10:46am
Darryl916 wrote:
Can't really go wrong as long as you stick with a local dude that comes highly recommended with a good reputation or send it to any...
Can't really go wrong as long as you stick with a local dude that comes highly recommended with a good reputation or send it to any of the big names. For your application they will all be about the same in the end.

*One word of advice though, if the big name you go with is Factory Connection, send it to their main location, not one of their closer "certified" shops. I've heard bad things from people doing that, getting very un-factory connection results.
I'll agree with this. I had an issue with Pro-Action, years ago mind you, but in a nutshell, the local rep did the work and the train wreck that it was wound up getting fixed at Race Tech. Now, I have a local guy that has done a good job for me a couple times and live nearby. Again, about the same price, less shipping, but all in all, very good results.

Wow Red, just happened to catch the last entries to your thread. Hope you heal up soon, and right.
That being said, I know exactly what you're talking about as far as asking for bottoming resistance. I broke my wrist in '85, and since can't really take too hard of a hit. I have always stressed to anyone tuning my suspension that I'm not a huge double and triple fan, but I'm more old school where I like it rough, and I like to force my way through things. My biggest request is that when launching from a single jump out onto the flat, I don't necessarily want to have to back it way off to prevent to much height on take off. I like to hit the ground under power, but every time I've had suspension done, when I land off of a similarly described jump, I bottom hard and with a clunk. It's this type of landing that always makes me back off speed wise. I used to be an A rider, and when I moved to 25+ (24 years ago), I told them that even though I wasn't racing A anymore, I still wanted the suspension set up firm for bottoming resistance. It didn't matter, everyone always valves it much softer than I'd prefer. So, I just slowed down.

Post a reply to: KYB PSF revalve

The Latest