KTM frame life

Moto619
8/20/2014 11:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2014 9:37am
Hey guys was toying with the idea of buying a KTM 450 sxf and want to know how the frames hold up with wear. Do they last a long time or crack? I've been told the bike itself is super reliable, but I have had Hondas my whole life and haven't had any issues, so to make the change I'd like to know if anything bad stands out. Thanks in advance.
|
zehn
8/20/2014 11:27pm
Well, given that they're steel which actually has some give to it, I wouldn't be too worried about the frame grenading on you.
8/21/2014 12:45am
Moto619 wrote:
Hey guys was toying with the idea of buying a KTM 450 sxf and want to know how the frames hold up with wear. Do they...
Hey guys was toying with the idea of buying a KTM 450 sxf and want to know how the frames hold up with wear. Do they last a long time or crack? I've been told the bike itself is super reliable, but I have had Hondas my whole life and haven't had any issues, so to make the change I'd like to know if anything bad stands out. Thanks in advance.
Don't expect Honda quality from KTM, brakes, bodywork, bolts etc. need a lot more attention. But the bikes are fine, just different.
zehn
8/21/2014 1:04am
Moto619 wrote:
Hey guys was toying with the idea of buying a KTM 450 sxf and want to know how the frames hold up with wear. Do they...
Don't expect Honda quality from KTM, brakes, bodywork, bolts etc. need a lot more attention. But the bikes are fine, just different.
Huh? Modern KTMs are known for having superior fit and finish over the Japenese bikes.
8/21/2014 1:19am
Moto619 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Huh? Modern KTMs are known for having superior fit and finish over the Japenese bikes.
Work on them, then you learn.

Brembo brakes work fine but don't last as Nissins. KTM bolt are crap, not Japan standard.
If you are used to Honda don't expect KTM to be the same (form honda to Suzuki is also a step down if you work on them).

But KTM's are fine these days, just different.

The Shop

kiwifan
8/21/2014 1:46am
I went from KTM to Honda and totally agree with Henk, I actually went faster on the honda and it was more reliable...just my view
jock
Fantasy
1st
8/21/2014 2:09am
kiwifan wrote:
I went from KTM to Honda and totally agree with Henk, I actually went faster on the honda and it was more reliable...just my view
Are you a Honda dealer?
Crush
8/21/2014 4:18am
kiwifan wrote:
jock wrote:
Are you a Honda dealer?
Right?

Fucking bleeds Red more than most! haha
crusher773
8/21/2014 5:43am
You guys are freaking nuts. I went from Hondas to KTMs too and I will never go back. Those Hondas were total pieces of junk. KTMs are head and shoulders higher quality all the way around than a Honda ever thought about. You say work on one. Well I sure have worked on my KTMs a lot less than I ever did on those Hondas.
Katoomey
8/21/2014 6:03am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 6:06am
Moto619 wrote:
KTM frames are 4130 cr-mo. When Jap bikes were steel, they used cheap mild steel (nothing like cr-mo as far as durability is concerned). If you can sack out a KTM frame in a couple years then you are pro-level...and therefor should be riding a new bike every year anyway.

I will say that overall, the quality of KTM's is on par with Honda. There are some things about KTM that aren't that great...and the same could be said about Honda's fit and finish as well. Honda isn't miles ahead in this department like they used to be. Hell, Yamaha's are just as good as Honda and KTM. It's Kawi and Suzuki that are still made out of pot-metal.

I've been a tech for over 15 years . I've wrenched on hundreds of Hondas and KTM's. I've owned at least 20 Honda motorcycles and 5 KTM's. I will continue to buy KTM's for the foreseeable future. ...and quality is one of my main concerns.
Ashleymx
8/21/2014 6:08am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 6:11am
My 2c why I love KTMs. The spokes don't rust, they're galvanized or something instead of the less protected jap bikes. The hubs aren't porous so don't stain. The wheel spacers don't fall out when you remove or try and replace the wheels. You never need to lube a clutch cable.. Steel frame is easier to work around. Airfilters are super easy to change. The Brembo brakes are always awesome. The list goes on and on. All the small stuff adds up. There's nothing wrong with the fasteners either. I've never had a bolt strip or vibrate loose?

Oh and I'm not bias, I only currently own the Honda in my profile pic lol I've owned plenty of KTMS in the past though.
JA946
8/21/2014 6:19am
Moto619 wrote:
I really hated my KTM that I had - I've ranted about it before. '07 144sx that ate motors every 4 hours.

Anyways, fit and finish was much nicer than the 5 hondas I owned after it.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.
Mouse153
8/21/2014 6:35am
zehn wrote:
Work on them, then you learn. Brembo brakes work fine but don't last as Nissins. KTM bolt are crap, not Japan standard. If you are used...

Brembo brakes work fine but don't last as Nissins. KTM bolt are crap, not Japan standard.
If you are used to Honda don't expect KTM to be the same (form honda to Suzuki is also a step down if you work on them).

I have been working on my son's KTM and I have to disagree with you. After working in a Suzuki and Kaw shop most of my life and currently own Yamahas and Hondas I've found that working on my son's KTM has been a real pleasure. Easy to work on, quality and attention to detail are on par with any of the Japanese bikes and in most cases better.

Brakes and body work seem to be worlds better but I did find the bolts to be a bit hokey at first but now that I have the proper tools they're fine.

My opinion based on my experience.
tiddlermx23
8/21/2014 6:51am
I can ask the guy that just brought his 2014 Dungey edition to the shop for its FIRST oil change after 30 hours.... Guy was super educated on high performance 4-strokes I tells yah..
8/21/2014 6:53am
zehn wrote:
Work on them, then you learn. Brembo brakes work fine but don't last as Nissins. KTM bolt are crap, not Japan standard. If you are used...

Mouse153 wrote:
I have been working on my son's KTM and I have to disagree with you. After working in a Suzuki and Kaw shop most of my...
I have been working on my son's KTM and I have to disagree with you. After working in a Suzuki and Kaw shop most of my life and currently own Yamahas and Hondas I've found that working on my son's KTM has been a real pleasure. Easy to work on, quality and attention to detail are on par with any of the Japanese bikes and in most cases better.

Brakes and body work seem to be worlds better but I did find the bolts to be a bit hokey at first but now that I have the proper tools they're fine.

My opinion based on my experience.
agree 100% - in my opinion the japanese bikes are all getting worse (build quality and components) whilst the ktms continue to improve. Honda were the best build quality by a big margin in the 80s- those days are long gone! everything is built to a cost now and standards have slipped.

Katoomey
8/21/2014 6:56am
I can ask the guy that just brought his 2014 Dungey edition to the shop for its FIRST oil change after 30 hours.... Guy was super...
I can ask the guy that just brought his 2014 Dungey edition to the shop for its FIRST oil change after 30 hours.... Guy was super educated on high performance 4-strokes I tells yah..
what do you expect from someone who brings their motocross bike in for an oil change?

In fact, this story sounds so unbelievable...i dont.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
8/21/2014 7:25am
Moto619 wrote:
I would disagree here. my KTM is easily on par with the Honda I had and also better/easier to work on IMO.
markit
8/21/2014 7:53am
Been racing KTMs sense 2k at the A/B HS/enduro level and never had any frame problems other than one striped upper sub frame bolt due to the bolt being loose so you could say this was my fault.. I raced Yahmahas up to the 90s and KXs in the 90s The KTMs have there qurks for sure but frame issues have never been a issue other than the internet bs. Cant belive we have gotten to a point to where someone would even bring up the notion of asking if a steel frame was better than a AL.LOL My bro in law had a honda AL framed bike I cant recall how many times he was having the frame welded.
BigDaddyG
8/21/2014 8:26am
There isn't a nicer looking stock bike out there better than the KTM Factory Edition....damn that thing is killer!!! It is so simple looking, tons of room around the engine to work, sleek looking, the detail is way nicer than the others and the list of goodies it comes with compared to the big 4 is amazing. That will probably be my next bike if the 16 KX450 isn't all new. Die hard Kawi guy here.....but that KTM is winning me over, the FE would be the one I would buy, not the SXF.
8/21/2014 9:02am
I am a ktm fan but I know of at least 3 different people (myself included) where the ktm frame has cracked in various places! All bikes 2 years old or newer
bigborefan
8/21/2014 9:04am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 9:04am
The triple clamp is an odd design. Pro Circuit makes a traditional Jap setup for KTMs I believe.
ob
8/21/2014 9:15am
Crazy talk, KTM overall quality is way above all jap bikes. And yes I've owned and worked on them all. Back in the day Hondas were the best, but that was way back.
jtiger12
8/21/2014 9:26am
Seems like every bike I ever hear about snapping at the triples, cracking or breaking has been a ktm or a bad 500 conversion. No flaming, just what I have seen on youtube and read in message boards
motomike137
8/21/2014 9:28am
Katoomey wrote:
KTM frames are 4130 cr-mo. When Jap bikes were steel, they used cheap mild steel (nothing like cr-mo as far as durability is concerned). If you...
KTM frames are 4130 cr-mo. When Jap bikes were steel, they used cheap mild steel (nothing like cr-mo as far as durability is concerned). If you can sack out a KTM frame in a couple years then you are pro-level...and therefor should be riding a new bike every year anyway.

I will say that overall, the quality of KTM's is on par with Honda. There are some things about KTM that aren't that great...and the same could be said about Honda's fit and finish as well. Honda isn't miles ahead in this department like they used to be. Hell, Yamaha's are just as good as Honda and KTM. It's Kawi and Suzuki that are still made out of pot-metal.

I've been a tech for over 15 years . I've wrenched on hundreds of Hondas and KTM's. I've owned at least 20 Honda motorcycles and 5 KTM's. I will continue to buy KTM's for the foreseeable future. ...and quality is one of my main concerns.
Japanese frames made of mild steel? Doesn't sound right to me friend.
BobPA
8/21/2014 9:34am
I am a ktm fan but I know of at least 3 different people (myself included) where the ktm frame has cracked in various places! All...
I am a ktm fan but I know of at least 3 different people (myself included) where the ktm frame has cracked in various places! All bikes 2 years old or newer
Pics or it didn't happen bro
Ashleymx
8/21/2014 10:42am
Anyone seriously think any other bike would not have snapped the same? It was like hitting a wall, dead stop, something has to give. If a jap bike did have a stronger triple clamp then the forks would be toast. A triple clamp is cheaper to replace too..
newmann
8/21/2014 10:50am
bigborefan wrote:
The triple clamp is an odd design. Pro Circuit makes a traditional Jap setup for KTMs I believe.
Odd design? What I found odd about my KTM clamps is that the bearings came greased and didn't require a 3 pound sledge to remove them from the bike like my 30 day old Yamaha did.

Again, odd design? These beauties came stock, were able to have the original bearings reused after having them stripped and re anodized orange by the guys at TCR Wheels.

Flesh206
8/21/2014 10:51am
I rather that break then bending fork tubes....in this situation. I bought a new sx250 in early 2008 still have it no major issue to date.
Ing
8/21/2014 10:53am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 10:56am
Moto619 wrote:
Got to be the dumbest uninformed statement I've ever read. I've owned a motorcycle shop for 17yrs. and have worked on all brands. Not a Honda or a KTM dealer and I'd say KTM is the easiest bike to work on that's ever passed my wrenches. The quality of KTM has long been superior to the Japs. Anyone that doesn't think so hasn't dealt with both on a regular basis. Edited to add to the OP'er- Go ahead and buy your KTM, your dollars will be well spent.

Post a reply to: KTM frame life

The Latest