KTM FE actual weight?

4/14/2015 11:14am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 8:58pm
I just read the MXA test of the new hyped up KTM FE, and I don't think they actually weighed it. they said its 10 pounds lighter than the standard bike, but that is what KTM is saying in their own brochure. it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer lied about weight. did KTM not allow them to put it on a scale? I wonder what it really weighs, with a full tank of gas. someone needs to weigh all the bikes on the same day on the same scale.
|
DownSouth
4/14/2015 11:19am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 11:32am
Th 450 is 226 pounds with no gas.

The gas tank holds 1.9 gal so using an average of 6.2 lbs/gal a full tank would be 11.78 pounds, which added to the 226 would end up with 237.78.

moto0852
4/14/2015 11:32am
I just read the MXA test of the new hyped up KTM FE, and I don't think they actually weighed it. they said its 10 pounds...
I just read the MXA test of the new hyped up KTM FE, and I don't think they actually weighed it. they said its 10 pounds lighter than the standard bike, but that is what KTM is saying in their own brochure. it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer lied about weight. did KTM not allow them to put it on a scale? I wonder what it really weighs, with a full tank of gas. someone needs to weigh all the bikes on the same day on the same scale.
You know you've done something amazing with your new bike update when even after it's been well documented people still refuse to believe.
mx317
4/14/2015 11:43am
I think for a weight comparison, it should be all liquids except for gas. With each bike having a little different size tanks, it would be the most accurate way to compare and the way they weight them at AMA tech.
newmann
4/14/2015 1:49pm
mx317 wrote:
I think for a weight comparison, it should be all liquids except for gas. With each bike having a little different size tanks, it would be...
I think for a weight comparison, it should be all liquids except for gas. With each bike having a little different size tanks, it would be the most accurate way to compare and the way they weight them at AMA tech.
And that is how MXA has weighed them for years and years. Same as AMA for race weights. 226 is 5 pounds less than the 250 was a couple years ago.

The Shop

kiwifan
4/14/2015 2:46pm
I have ridden it, trust me she is light....(and I normally ride a Honda)
4/14/2015 3:21pm
It's lighter than the hair on Dianna Dahlgren's ass.

This is according to my taint scale and not official.

langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/14/2015 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 3:32pm
I'm going to weigh my 450 here soon. I've swapped out all the bolts for Ti, with the exception of axles and swing arm. Which will be coming any time. I swapped out the exhaust for the FMF Ti/Carbon system as well as replace the wheel set. I'm thinking that I added a pound or two back on, with the wheels, being that I used A-60 rims, but I think the hubs (Faster USA) are slightly lighter than stock. I will be using the Think Technologies seat, which will shed another pound- a pound and a half. I used the Raptor pegs, which were noticeably lighter than the stock pegs, so I'm interested to see what it'll weigh, once I get everything bolted up. I've been injured, so I haven't been able to ride it yet, so I can't say much about how it feels on the track.
4/14/2015 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 3:46pm
I have my CRF450 down to 225 lbs with a half tank of gas. The Think Technologies seat will shed over a pound, but it is too hard for me and I will put a stock one back on. CF fuel tank is another way to lose weight up high. I lost almost a pound with the fuel tank. Raptor pegs dont save much weight with a Honda.. the Honda parts are light already. I have HRC titanium pegs which are very light but you dont feel the weight lose there. I have all titanium bolts/ axles and was the most disappointing and expensive way to lose weight. Aluminum bolts are more efficent for some parts. Wheels usualy add weight. Ti exhaust is very cost efficient. FMF seems to be the lightest. I have titanium shock spring but that was less than a pound. CF motor mounts were quite cost effective.

What is impressive about the KTM 450 weight is that is weighs that much with electric start!

mike
dcg141
4/14/2015 4:09pm
Wow. People sure have their panties in a wad over this bike.
TeamGreen
4/14/2015 5:41pm
Blah, blah, Bullshit-Blah...

I've seen a '15 Factory Edition go to the scales at an SX & come back to the rig...

To replace TI with Steel.

I'm jus' knowin'...
newmann
4/14/2015 8:01pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Blah, blah, Bullshit-Blah... I've seen a '15 Factory Edition go to the scales at an SX & come back to the rig... To replace TI with...
Blah, blah, Bullshit-Blah...

I've seen a '15 Factory Edition go to the scales at an SX & come back to the rig...

To replace TI with Steel.

I'm jus' knowin'...
Minimum weight limits need to be bumped down a notch now that the open class thumpers no longer weigh 250 dry. Well, some of 'em anyway.Laughing

Even being old, fat and slow I still like me some lightweight hardware.
newmann
4/14/2015 8:12pm
Latest tastiness and I even got to fire up the Smithy finally and cut some bolt faces, chamfer the edges and dish the heads. Some 7075 pinch bolts...hmmmm, aluminum swing arm cups with ti thrust washers, ti swing arm pivot with aluminum nuts and some aluminum axle nuts for the light bike project. Toss in a drilled, dished and freshly cad plated stock swing arm pivot for another project as well.

No fingers were lost!

Crush
4/14/2015 8:58pm
newmann wrote:
Latest tastiness and I even got to fire up the Smithy finally and cut some bolt faces, chamfer the edges and dish the heads. Some 7075...
Latest tastiness and I even got to fire up the Smithy finally and cut some bolt faces, chamfer the edges and dish the heads. Some 7075 pinch bolts...hmmmm, aluminum swing arm cups with ti thrust washers, ti swing arm pivot with aluminum nuts and some aluminum axle nuts for the light bike project. Toss in a drilled, dished and freshly cad plated stock swing arm pivot for another project as well.

No fingers were lost!

Fun!

I'd never stop tinkering if I had access to that sorta gear!

Post a reply to: KTM FE actual weight?

The Latest