KTM DI 2 Stroke - not yet

ando
Edited Date/Time 6/24/2013 1:15pm
This is from the latest Australasian Dirt Bike...

--------
ARE INJECTED TWO-STROKES A MYTH?
JOACHIM SAUER, KIM PRODUCT MANAGER

"We have been working a lot in recent years in order to get the injection system ready for our two-strokes. I went out into the market last year and visited lots of dealers and spoke to hundreds of riders and I asked them if they would like a two-stroke injected bike. Everyone said, 'Great! When will it be ready?'

"I then said, 'Would you still love it if the price was close to the 450/500 EXC?' Also, instead of just a carburettor and ignition, you would have to deal with pumps and all the complexities of such a system, which also adds 2kg of weight. It would make the whole thing so difficult to deal with you would not be able to change the piston at home anymore.

"From the beginning, I could see their enthusiasm get less and less, and at the end, out of 100 people I asked, there was not even five people who would like such a system. So we decided we won't introduce it until the rules (homologation) force us to introduce it. This will probably happen with model year 2017. But if we had to do it next year, we would be ready. But we want to keep it back and do some more testing.

"I've been doing lots of tests [on the injected two-stroke] and the major benefit is that it has a very clean engine and a safe carburettor setting. If I'm on the rich side at sea level and I go up into the mountains, it will be too rich up, so this will be history [with injection]. I did not have smoke or that hesitation in front of an uphill when I did some trailriding, and I need quick response. Sometimes it feels as though the bike is not ready to get up, so the fuel injection has a major benefit in terms of engine behaviour and running. You can make different maps that make the bike completely different".

And for those two-stroke fanatics, Joachim admitted the two-stroke would not lose that powerband hit.

---------

Seems like the injected two-stroke is not quite the panacea that many think it will be.
|
mynewcr250
6/23/2013 12:30am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 12:31am
LOL, FI/DI is so complex you wont be able to change a piston at home anymore eh?

thats what you tell the ignorant to scare them away from something you dont want to introduce yet. just tell them it'll be more expensive and leave it at that, but dont exaggerate it to make working on an injected 2 stroke seem like a nightmare
6/23/2013 12:37am
Wouldn't the only difference with fuel injection be some throttle bodies on the intake instead of a carburetor (and maybe a sensor in the pipe)? I've worked on road bikes with FI and taking the throttle bodies off was easy as. Just a couple of wires and a fuel line. If anything it will make 2 strokes easier to work on because people won't get confused over jetting anymore and can adjust the maps on the go.

I don't understand why they think people won't be keen to buy FI 2 strokes. All the major OEMs have the tech (Honda had FI on the 2 stroke NSR500) just no one wants to do it. If KTM sold an FI 2 stroke range you can bet Yamaha would either lose all their sales and stop selling 2 strokes, or get their shit together and stop selling their 2000/2006 YZs as 2014 models.
TeamGreen
6/23/2013 1:16am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 1:19am
As a test for this technology, Honda built a 400cc single-cylinder bike for off-road and desert endurance racing. The 400cc single design was chosen because it has a large combustion chamber and a high piston speed, making for difficult burn characteristics; if the EXP-2 system works for this configuration, it will work for smaller piston engines. Fuel injection was also used for ease of setup and fuel measurement, although the system was designed to work with carbureted systems as well. The race results were very good even though the bike was not designed to win races, but to test new technology.

What all this boils down to is that the EXP-2 has about the same real-world performance as the 780, but with substantially better fuel economy and lower emissions.

(the NXR780 was their Rallye-Thumper-Twin at that time)
ando
6/23/2013 1:27am
KTM have had a prototype 300 DI 2 stroke for some time now I believe. Last I heard (I think maybe two years ago) they were waiting on the 2014 emission standards to be released before they committed to production.

The Shop

Rotaholic
6/23/2013 1:57am
We have a fuel injected bike here in NZ that im sure you have all seen and it kicks arse and this is what needs to happen to all 2stroke bikes IMO. I cant believe the dribble in that article. If I had of known that I would have kept my 05 carby rmz450 instead of my 2013 rmz450 lol
ando
6/23/2013 3:14am
Wouldn't the only difference with fuel injection be some throttle bodies on the intake instead of a carburetor (and maybe a sensor in the pipe)? I've...
Wouldn't the only difference with fuel injection be some throttle bodies on the intake instead of a carburetor (and maybe a sensor in the pipe)? I've worked on road bikes with FI and taking the throttle bodies off was easy as. Just a couple of wires and a fuel line. If anything it will make 2 strokes easier to work on because people won't get confused over jetting anymore and can adjust the maps on the go.

I don't understand why they think people won't be keen to buy FI 2 strokes. All the major OEMs have the tech (Honda had FI on the 2 stroke NSR500) just no one wants to do it. If KTM sold an FI 2 stroke range you can bet Yamaha would either lose all their sales and stop selling 2 strokes, or get their shit together and stop selling their 2000/2006 YZs as 2014 models.
DI on a 2 stroke is not just a matter of whacking a throttle body and injector unit on. You need some way of improving the scavenging and lubricating the bottom end. Normally to improve the scavenging an external blower is required.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/23/2013 3:49am
Wouldn't the only difference with fuel injection be some throttle bodies on the intake instead of a carburetor (and maybe a sensor in the pipe)? I've...

ando wrote:
DI on a 2 stroke is not just a matter of whacking a throttle body and injector unit on. You need some way of improving the...
DI on a 2 stroke is not just a matter of whacking a throttle body and injector unit on. You need some way of improving the scavenging and lubricating the bottom end. Normally to improve the scavenging an external blower is required.
Is this article about FI two strokes or DI two strokes? It doesn't say DI anywhere. FI would be a very easy mod because the fuel/oil mix would still circulate thru the bottom end. If its DI we are talking about it could end up being very complex. I don't know whether this article is apples or oranges.
ando
6/23/2013 4:15am

ando wrote:
DI on a 2 stroke is not just a matter of whacking a throttle body and injector unit on. You need some way of improving the...
early wrote:
Is this article about FI two strokes or DI two strokes? It doesn't say DI anywhere. FI would be a very easy mod because the fuel/oil...
Is this article about FI two strokes or DI two strokes? It doesn't say DI anywhere. FI would be a very easy mod because the fuel/oil mix would still circulate thru the bottom end. If its DI we are talking about it could end up being very complex. I don't know whether this article is apples or oranges.
He's talking about DI 2 strokes.
6/23/2013 6:55am
Yeah, he mentions " A Pump " and I don't think he is talking in tank fuel pump, I assume he's speaking of the high pressure pump, which is required in Direct Injection.

Even still, a piston change would not require much more work, only real difference would be the presence of said pump, and an injector in the head...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/23/2013 8:28am
So you have the project manager tell you that it has its issues and/or shortcomings, and you want to argue with him?

How about if I just mix some metaphors? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't cure stupid.
smeg
6/23/2013 8:44am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 8:57am
GuyB wrote:
So you have the project manager tell you that it has its issues and/or shortcomings, and you want to argue with him? How about if I...
So you have the project manager tell you that it has its issues and/or shortcomings, and you want to argue with him?

How about if I just mix some metaphors? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't cure stupid.
The interview is a little hard to understand but I cant see where he says it any issues/shortcomings from a functional standpoint. The only issues/shortcomings seem to be related to price and working on the thing from a mechanics standpoint.

He explicitly states that if they had to roll it out next year they were ready.
dcg141
6/23/2013 8:54am
DI and FI are very different and DI is the current wave for injected 2 stokes. DI is much like a diesel system and requires a more complex system than FI. DI is an awesome system but its heavy and expensive.
Crush
6/23/2013 9:08am
Ya it seems whenever I have read bout a Manufacturer doing injection on a two stroke it's direct, not FI...
TeamGreen
6/23/2013 9:12am
dcg141 wrote:
DI and FI are very different and DI is the current wave for injected 2 stokes. DI is much like a diesel system and requires a...
DI and FI are very different and DI is the current wave for injected 2 stokes. DI is much like a diesel system and requires a more complex system than FI. DI is an awesome system but its heavy and expensive.
This is where you explain the basic functional & hardware differences between DI & the current FI systems EVERYONE is comparing it to.
TerryB
6/23/2013 9:16am
Hmmm. Aprilia and Bombardier both use di systems that are pretty straight-forward.

Ski-Doo e-tec sled owners feel free to chime in with your experience.
justpinit
6/23/2013 9:17am
The technology is readily available.......on snow! The snowmobile world has been perfecting battery-less fuel injected 2-strokes for over a decade now.

I was working with a few hard-core sled guys over the winter to try to adapt a fuel-injection system onto a YZ250 2-stroke. Ended up going back to same old carb because of the added complexity ($$$$) and problems with adapting off the shelf multi cylinder systems to work on a single. Technology will continue and I am sure it WILL be an option....in the future.

Stiil working on it, but the YZ250 is a really solid engine to start with. The only real benefit we see so far is not having to re-jet for elevation, which is definitely NOT a good enough reason to justify all the extra complexity and expense.

Bombardier is doing incredible stuff with 2-strokes! The pic below is an 800cc twin putting out 163hp!!

www.ski-doo.com

dcg141
6/23/2013 9:23am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 9:24am
dcg141 wrote:
DI and FI are very different and DI is the current wave for injected 2 stokes. DI is much like a diesel system and requires a...
TeamGreen wrote:
This is where you explain the basic functional & hardware differences between DI & the current FI systems EVERYONE is comparing it to.
The basic difference is that DI has the injector in the combustion chamber and the FI has the injector in the throttle body. EI on a 2 stroke the injector would be in the head. That system requires a lot more fuel pressure and the injector is also more complex. The injector in a DI has to do what the throttle body does and atomize the fuel charge. The reason you want the injector in the head with a 2 stroke is because you want the exhaust port closed or very close to closed before you introduce fuel in the combustion chamber. This is where you gain a reduction in emissions. The reason 2 stokes have trouble with emissions has nothing to do with oil in the fuel. The oil will burn off same as the fuel. The problem is that fuel is entering the cylinder before the exhaust port is closed and raw unburned fuel escapes into the exhaust.
Katoomey
6/23/2013 9:29am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 9:32am
does everyone around here live a damn moto bubble?

there have been injected 2-stroke performance engines for over 20 years. Arctic Cat and Polaris both had battery-less efi in production by 1993. there is absolutely no fundamental difference between the 2-stroke architecture in a snowmobile and the ones found in dirtbikes.

The only advantage EFI has is a self adjusting mixture, and the only advantage DI offers over "intake" injection is emissions. both systems can generate perfect mixtures for all intensive purposes, and therefor "clean" mixtures, but neither system can make more peak power than a "slide" carb.

I think, like other people of mild or greater intellect (...and the KTM engineers), the benefits (not having to know how to tune a motorcycle properly) don't outweigh the cost and complexity increases. I would like injection as well, but I don't want to pay for it, and I don't want clean fuel screens and injectors, and I don't want to send my "little black box" away when I just could have reached into my bin of jets. Most importantly...I'm dreading the proposition of $10,000+ 2-stroke dirt bikes. Hell, I was concerned when KTM put e-start on it's smokers. ...and now I have 2 2013's, both with e-starts removed. What the hell did that cost me? I have no idea, but it was all waste, I can tell ya that much because there hasn't been a time yet where they didn't start with one stab.

On snowmobiles, it is a different story. Sleds go through huge swings in atmospheric conditions and the carbs are buried in a mine-shaft somewhere in the center of the sled. You take into account multi-cylinder configurations, cold starting, increasing demands from the EPA, and the fact that snowmobiles are already comparatively expensive, it makes much more sense to incur the extra cost and complexity of fuel injection. ...and by the way, Ski-Doo didn't have to invest much to implement their direct injection. Those technologies were afforded to them by BRP subsidiaries Johnson/Evinrude and Orbital Corp, who spent hundreds of millions developing that system.

You should all listen to the engineers on this one, especially since they say they are trying to save cost and complexity...because they never try to do that. Thats the bean counter's job, and that's how you know the engineers are serious about this one.
nytsmaC
6/23/2013 9:33am
I'd be interested to see what performance advantage it would provide over a lectron or smartcarb. The lectron on my 165 runs so smooth, crisp and clean it's unbelievable. If improvements over it are marginal at best then I'd absolutely rather keep the simplicity of what I've got.
Tim507
6/23/2013 9:36am
IMHO the JOACHIM SAUER article is more about marketing than about the product. KTM is not anticipating enough unit sales to justify the costs of production and profitability. Business analysis that keeps them profitable and viable.

My guess is that for the most part the technology is sound and ready for sales.

Rotax is an Austrian company and I would be surprised that there is not some sort of tecgnology sharing being done.
dcg141
6/23/2013 9:43am
Katoomey wrote:
does everyone around here live a damn moto bubble? there have been injected 2-stroke performance engines for over 20 years. Arctic Cat and Polaris both had...

there have been injected 2-stroke performance engines for over 20 years. Arctic Cat and Polaris both had battery-less efi in production by 1993. there is absolutely no fundamental difference between the 2-stroke architecture in a snowmobile and the ones found in dirtbikes.

The only advantage EFI has is a self adjusting mixture, and the only advantage DI offers over "intake" injection is emissions. both systems can generate perfect mixtures for all intensive purposes, and therefor "clean" mixtures, but neither system can make more peak power than a "slide" carb.

I think, like other people of mild or greater intellect (...and the KTM engineers), the benefits (not having to know how to tune a motorcycle properly) don't outweigh the cost and complexity increases. I would like injection as well, but I don't want to pay for it, and I don't want clean fuel screens and injectors, and I don't want to send my "little black box" away when I just could have reached into my bin of jets. Most importantly...I'm dreading the proposition of $10,000+ 2-stroke dirt bikes. Hell, I was concerned when KTM put e-start on it's smokers. ...and now I have 2 2013's, both with e-starts removed. What the hell did that cost me? I have no idea, but it was all waste, I can tell ya that much because there hasn't been a time yet where they didn't start with one stab.

On snowmobiles, it is a different story. Sleds go through huge swings in atmospheric conditions and the carbs are buried in a mine-shaft somewhere in the center of the sled. You take into account multi-cylinder configurations, cold starting, increasing demands from the EPA, and the fact that snowmobiles are already comparatively expensive, it makes much more sense to incur the extra cost and complexity of fuel injection. ...and by the way, Ski-Doo didn't have to invest much to implement their direct injection. Those technologies were afforded to them by BRP subsidiaries Johnson/Evinrude and Orbital Corp, who spent hundreds of millions developing that system.

You should all listen to the engineers on this one, especially since they say they are trying to save cost and complexity...because they never try to do that. Thats the bean counter's job, and that's how you know the engineers are serious about this one.
Motorcycles right now have the only escape clause for 2 strokes. Motorcycles built for "closed course" competition are allowed to be built without emissions controls. Sleds, ATV's ect do not have such an exemption.
Katoomey
6/23/2013 9:53am
Tim507 wrote:
IMHO the JOACHIM SAUER article is more about marketing than about the product. KTM is not anticipating enough unit sales to justify the costs of production...
IMHO the JOACHIM SAUER article is more about marketing than about the product. KTM is not anticipating enough unit sales to justify the costs of production and profitability. Business analysis that keeps them profitable and viable.

My guess is that for the most part the technology is sound and ready for sales.

Rotax is an Austrian company and I would be surprised that there is not some sort of tecgnology sharing being done.
Those are not Rotax technologies. They are liscenced to BRP. And Rotax is no longer an Austrian company. It hasnt been for many moons. Rotax is a BRP subsidiary, which makes it a Canadian traded company, who chooses to manufacture in Austria. Besides that, there is not alot of tech sharing in Europe anyway- that is a Japanese thing, imposed by their very own government.

fortunately, anyone who wants the Orbital DI technology is welcome to it. They publicly announced their willingness to work with any manufacturer out there in a bid to "help" lower polution. They have licensed their DI tech to many, many manufacturers all over the globe. (Appearantly their board of directors are full of suedo-eviro-types with aspirations of selling oil under the guise of saving trees. ...brilliant!)
dcg141
6/23/2013 9:55am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 10:02am
So your next question should be..well how about my chain saw and trimmer? They are 2 stroke and have to meet emissions. They are using a system invented by Komatsu Zenoah in 1998. Its called an Strato-Charged Engine. WO getting to technical it uses the fan cooling the air cooled engine along with a special carb to create a fuel charge that keeps from escaping into the exhaust stream. Its a simple, robust and inexpensive system. Husqvarna purchased Zenoah, known in the US as Redmax, and have developed that system even further with an carb that adjusts itself. How adaptable that system is to a motorcycle engine I have no clue. But it is an ingenious system and shows what engineers can do given the money to develop new technology.
Katoomey
6/23/2013 10:04am
Katoomey wrote:
does everyone around here live a damn moto bubble? there have been injected 2-stroke performance engines for over 20 years. Arctic Cat and Polaris both had...

dcg141 wrote:
Motorcycles right now have the only escape clause for 2 strokes. Motorcycles built for "closed course" competition are allowed to be built without emissions controls. Sleds...
Motorcycles right now have the only escape clause for 2 strokes. Motorcycles built for "closed course" competition are allowed to be built without emissions controls. Sleds, ATV's ect do not have such an exemption.
huh? emissions controls? they only have to pass average emission tests. however they do that is up to the manufacture. if they could do it with a tomato can carb, then so be it.

there are no specific clauses by the EPA that specify the differences between engine architectural types, they only do that with fuel types... you are reffering C.A.R.B., which only exists in California.

what you dont realize, is that emissions are based on an average per manufacture, an overall "carbon foot-print" of the entire model range. If you have a bunch that are under the limit, then you have room for some that are over. Thats why manufacturers label and sell machines as "competition only," so that those models are not included into their "average" emissions quota.

it is true, that by doing this, these models are exepmt from certain status', but that decision is solely up to the manufacturer.
dcg141
6/23/2013 10:11am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 10:12am
Katoomey wrote:

dcg141 wrote:
Motorcycles right now have the only escape clause for 2 strokes. Motorcycles built for "closed course" competition are allowed to be built without emissions controls. Sleds...
Katoomey wrote:
huh? emissions controls? they only have to pass average emission tests. however they do that is up to the manufacture. if they could do it with...
huh? emissions controls? they only have to pass average emission tests. however they do that is up to the manufacture. if they could do it with a tomato can carb, then so be it.

there are no specific clauses by the EPA that specify the differences between engine architectural types, they only do that with fuel types... you are reffering C.A.R.B., which only exists in California.

what you dont realize, is that emissions are based on an average per manufacture, an overall "carbon foot-print" of the entire model range. If you have a bunch that are under the limit, then you have room for some that are over. Thats why manufacturers label and sell machines as "competition only," so that those models are not included into their "average" emissions quota.

it is true, that by doing this, these models are exepmt from certain status', but that decision is solely up to the manufacturer.
We are on the same page here. The EPA says nothing about engine technology. But race motorcycles are EPA exempt. That's why you see the "closed course" decal on bikes. Sleds, side by sides and atv's have no such exemption. and are factored into the mfgs emissions average.
Katoomey
6/23/2013 10:12am
dcg141 wrote:
So your next question should be..well how about my chain saw and trimmer? They are 2 stroke and have to meet emissions. They are using a...
So your next question should be..well how about my chain saw and trimmer? They are 2 stroke and have to meet emissions. They are using a system invented by Komatsu Zenoah in 1998. Its called an Strato-Charged Engine. WO getting to technical it uses the fan cooling the air cooled engine along with a special carb to create a fuel charge that keeps from escaping into the exhaust stream. Its a simple, robust and inexpensive system. Husqvarna purchased Zenoah, known in the US as Redmax, and have developed that system even further with an carb that adjusts itself. How adaptable that system is to a motorcycle engine I have no clue. But it is an ingenious system and shows what engineers can do given the money to develop new technology.
your trimmer would need to make about 8-10 horsepower before your argument would be relative. it probably makes less than 2. your comparing utility engines to maximum performance engines.
Katoomey
6/23/2013 10:20am
dcg141 wrote:
Katoomey wrote:
huh? emissions controls? they only have to pass average emission tests. however they do that is up to the manufacture. if they could do it with...

dcg141 wrote:
We are on the same page here. The EPA says nothing about engine technology. But race motorcycles are EPA exempt. That's why you see the "closed...
We are on the same page here. The EPA says nothing about engine technology. But race motorcycles are EPA exempt. That's why you see the "closed course" decal on bikes. Sleds, side by sides and atv's have no such exemption. and are factored into the mfgs emissions average.
you make a great point, which is "competition" models are exempt. that's why we shouldn't give 2 shits about fuel injection. WE DONT NEED IT.

who cares about trail bikes and red-sticker this and green sticker that. lets just hope California falls off into the ocean. and then the rest of us can get on with riding our dirty "competition" only machines wherever the hell we want. like we always did.
dcg141
6/23/2013 10:24am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 10:26am
Actually I am wrong. ATV and sleds are included in the exemption. If a mfg wanted they could make "closed course' racing atv's and sleds and be exempt. EPA FAQ's
Krazyk2774
6/23/2013 10:35am
I rode My buddies Summit 800 e-tech this winter, and it has amazing engine performance. quiet ,smooth, no smoke , way better fuel economey, and tons of power ! the direct injection system is the key! the oil consumption is a third as much as my carbed 800, and it uses damm near half the fuel while making 10 more hp
If this kind of system ever makes it to mx/offroad bikes, i would be looking at buying a 2 stroke again for sure !
Katoomey
6/23/2013 10:36am
TerryB wrote:
Hmmm. Aprilia and Bombardier both use di systems that are pretty straight-forward.

Ski-Doo e-tec sled owners feel free to chime in with your experience.
a new Rotax E-tec 600 will go twice as far on the same gallon of fuel as my Rotax 583 that I had in the 90's. no exaggeration.

something else that people outside of snowmobiling might no know is the amount of 2 stroke smell you and your gear acquires during a day of riding. The exhaust is always in front of you. The E-tecs are so amazingly clean they don't even leave behind any of the typically visible "blue" smoke that other smokers do, and there is almost no oil/smoke odors as well.

Post a reply to: KTM DI 2 Stroke - not yet

The Latest