KTM Chain Slider Wearing Out Chain - Any Solution?

rikhek
On my 2013, 2015 and now 2017 KTM 450 SX-F's I run a high quality/dollar RK 520EXW chains. Great chain, however, the OEM chain sliders are wearing the top and bottom of the side plates down to where the loss of metaI makes me having to replace the chain well before it stretches or the link pins are worn.

Anybody else have this problem? Seems silly to replace a chain that is still good from a mechanical standpoint but not structurally sound due to the thinness of the side plates due to slider wear.

Chains are always adjusted properly on good sprockets.

I thought the OEM slider might be too harsh a material so I tried a Acerbis slider but same results. Hell, the chain is wearing out before the sprockets.

TIA

Rick
|
RCMXracing
2/23/2017 2:35pm
I have noticed this as well. How much sooner they wear compared to the big 4? Hard to say. All chains get worn flat, maybe a bit sooner on KTM? Do you ride a lot of sand? I use non-O or X ring chains, get 25-30 hrs out of them and toss. Less expensive.
Possibly the TM designworks products could work better...anyone use them?
JRT812
2/23/2017 2:45pm
RCMXracing wrote:
I have noticed this as well. How much sooner they wear compared to the big 4? Hard to say. All chains get worn flat, maybe a...
I have noticed this as well. How much sooner they wear compared to the big 4? Hard to say. All chains get worn flat, maybe a bit sooner on KTM? Do you ride a lot of sand? I use non-O or X ring chains, get 25-30 hrs out of them and toss. Less expensive.
Possibly the TM designworks products could work better...anyone use them?
Never noticed this issue on my KTM's in the past, but can vouch for TM products. Used to be one of the first things I would add when I would get a new bike.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
2/23/2017 4:13pm
One thing is for sure. KTM's sliders are built to last. I'm going on 130 hours.

The Shop

resetjet
2/23/2017 4:49pm
I have the same rk chain and supersprox on one of my 3 ktms. Great chain and never have to adjust it, but yes same issue. I started buying the cheap rocky mountain primary drive sets which appears to be the way to go. $80 for both sprockets and o ring chain. Chains last pretty good too.
mx836
2/23/2017 5:13pm
TM designworks. They actually slide instead of rub. It's not because the chain is too tight, it's because it's a 450 and eats drive components. No way the one poster has 100+ hours on an OEM slider on a 450. I also had the problem of wearing out chains on multiple KX450F's that I've had, before even needing new aluminum sprockets. Just upgraded to TM Deisignworks and spent a little extra on a chain so hoping and expecting it to work much better.
2/23/2017 7:59pm
Pull your shock out, chock your rear wheel to the height at which the chain is tightest or most extended in the arch, about straight line, adjust the chain so there is just a little slack to allow for heat expansion, contraction and mud, reassemble the rear end and with the wheel off the ground, take a measurement point to which you can refer to and achieve the same tension when placed on a stand. If you push the chain down against the top of the swingarm, you'll usually find that this point is at the end of the chain runner. It's funny how the factories don't waste money on extra material, like they've done the measurements and calculated exactly how much material is required for a perfectly adjusted chain
Chances are, you have been running the chain a bit tight as indicated by stretching your high dollar chain and flogging before sprockets, and I've done this to a bunch of different brand bikes to know exactly. Or you could ride in very course dirt, or you could be plain and simple, just lazy with the chain lube.
I also can't guarantee you anything, other than KTM's are not Kawasaki's.
Good luck with it anyway, shelling out unjustified $$$ on motos blows IMO.
peelout
2/24/2017 8:23am
i mean... i hate to be captain obvious here but has anyone mentioned checking the sprocket bolts?
Bramlett321
2/24/2017 12:32pm
Markee wrote:
^^^^ Same here man....I'm on my 5th KTM and have never worn one to the point where it needed to be replaced. Just normal wear and tear.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
2/24/2017 1:29pm
peelout wrote:
i mean... i hate to be captain obvious here but has anyone mentioned checking the sprocket bolts?

rikhek
2/25/2017 8:59am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2017 9:08am
mx836 wrote:
TM designworks. They actually slide instead of rub. It's not because the chain is too tight, it's because it's a 450 and eats drive components. No...
TM designworks. They actually slide instead of rub. It's not because the chain is too tight, it's because it's a 450 and eats drive components. No way the one poster has 100+ hours on an OEM slider on a 450. I also had the problem of wearing out chains on multiple KX450F's that I've had, before even needing new aluminum sprockets. Just upgraded to TM Deisignworks and spent a little extra on a chain so hoping and expecting it to work much better.
Not true in my case about the hours you get out of an OEM slider. I sell my 450 KTMs every two years with between 175 - 200 hours of nothing but MX riding. Believe it or not I've NEVER replaced an OEM slider or guide. They don't wear out.

That's why I tried the Acerbis but it looks to be wearing the chain about the same as the OEM. However, the Acerbis is actually showing wear and the OEM's hardly show wear at over 175 hours.

I don't ride in sand and chain is adjusted exactly as prescribed in the maual. Hell, I even use a tape measure to ensure it's right on and I've been riding 44 years.

Believe it or not, I'm an engineer and into data. I've logged hours and conditions on these RK EXW chains with and without being lubed. I honestly get significantly more hours out of the chain NOT lubing it and I've been running them for over 15 years. Same with my sprockets
FWYT
2/25/2017 9:04am
Markee wrote:
^^^^ Same here man....I'm on my 5th KTM and have never worn one to the point where it needed to be replaced. Just normal wear and...
^^^^ Same here man....I'm on my 5th KTM and have never worn one to the point where it needed to be replaced. Just normal wear and tear.
Same here.
mx836
2/25/2017 10:03am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2017 10:32am
Pull your shock out, chock your rear wheel to the height at which the chain is tightest or most extended in the arch, about straight line...
Pull your shock out, chock your rear wheel to the height at which the chain is tightest or most extended in the arch, about straight line, adjust the chain so there is just a little slack to allow for heat expansion, contraction and mud, reassemble the rear end and with the wheel off the ground, take a measurement point to which you can refer to and achieve the same tension when placed on a stand. If you push the chain down against the top of the swingarm, you'll usually find that this point is at the end of the chain runner. It's funny how the factories don't waste money on extra material, like they've done the measurements and calculated exactly how much material is required for a perfectly adjusted chain
Chances are, you have been running the chain a bit tight as indicated by stretching your high dollar chain and flogging before sprockets, and I've done this to a bunch of different brand bikes to know exactly. Or you could ride in very course dirt, or you could be plain and simple, just lazy with the chain lube.
I also can't guarantee you anything, other than KTM's are not Kawasaki's.
Good luck with it anyway, shelling out unjustified $$$ on motos blows IMO.
Chains stretch from the torque being applied under load on a 450. Doesn't mean it's too tight. If you ride like a grandpa, your stuff will last longer also.
mattbmx63
2/25/2017 10:59am
TM design works chain sliders actually wear away your swing arm. Had it happen to mine and have seen it on several others.
Highsider
2/25/2017 11:36am
mx836 wrote:
Chains stretch from the torque being applied under load on a 450. Doesn't mean it's too tight. If you ride like a grandpa, your stuff will...
Chains stretch from the torque being applied under load on a 450. Doesn't mean it's too tight. If you ride like a grandpa, your stuff will last longer also.
If you ride like a grandpa, your stuff will last longer also.

Hey, hey, now!

Laughing
2/25/2017 3:17pm
mx836 wrote:
Chains stretch from the torque being applied under load on a 450. Doesn't mean it's too tight. If you ride like a grandpa, your stuff will...
I'm not a fan of idling around but if riding like a grandpa is saving you on parts, cash and crashes, good for you.
I can tell this topic is over your knowledge level, so you best go back to discussing colorways, and other pointless grandpa shit
RCMXracing
3/1/2017 5:35pm
rikhek wrote:
Not true in my case about the hours you get out of an OEM slider. I sell my 450 KTMs every two years with between 175...
Not true in my case about the hours you get out of an OEM slider. I sell my 450 KTMs every two years with between 175 - 200 hours of nothing but MX riding. Believe it or not I've NEVER replaced an OEM slider or guide. They don't wear out.

That's why I tried the Acerbis but it looks to be wearing the chain about the same as the OEM. However, the Acerbis is actually showing wear and the OEM's hardly show wear at over 175 hours.

I don't ride in sand and chain is adjusted exactly as prescribed in the maual. Hell, I even use a tape measure to ensure it's right on and I've been riding 44 years.

Believe it or not, I'm an engineer and into data. I've logged hours and conditions on these RK EXW chains with and without being lubed. I honestly get significantly more hours out of the chain NOT lubing it and I've been running them for over 15 years. Same with my sprockets
Interesting. Don't let the chain lube lobby hear about this! Actually had a buddy that ran steel and O-rings, put some WD-40 after a wash, that's it. Lasted FOREVER! If I was an off-roader definitely would run X-ring. I find the master link annoying to deal with.

Post a reply to: KTM Chain Slider Wearing Out Chain - Any Solution?

The Latest