KTM 450 SXF or Honda CRF 450

Beeler341
10/11/2013 6:05am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2013 11:26am
So I am going to be purchasing a new bike tomorrow. But I can't really make a decision on the two bikes. I will be getting a 2014 in either. What's the pros and cons of both. I have been away from the sport for over and year and boy how things have changed.
|
FIREfish148
10/11/2013 6:19am
I would roll with the Honda personally. Sure KTM is proven and is a great bike but the front fender on those things are fkin hideous Sick You ever sat on a new one?

Check out the shoot outs if you want some good advice. Even though some reviews have agendas and what not.
Arkmx
10/11/2013 7:19am

Can't go wrong with one of these....!

mnomis484
10/11/2013 7:23am
So, you judge bikes by the look of the front fender?

I would go with the KTM. They look good imo and are reliable. According to the manual, piston change every 50hrs. Some people have over 100on one piston & rings.
Honda says, piston and rings every 15hrs.....

Concerning racing, i would say they are on the same (top) level. But, the KTM has a hydraulic clutch, the best stock brakes you can get, Excel rims,.....
HOPSTOOPID
10/11/2013 7:45am
I would roll with the Honda personally. Sure KTM is proven and is a great bike but the front fender on those things are fkin hideous...
I would roll with the Honda personally. Sure KTM is proven and is a great bike but the front fender on those things are fkin hideous Sick You ever sat on a new one?

Check out the shoot outs if you want some good advice. Even though some reviews have agendas and what not.
1.) Never judge a bike based on plastics

2.) Never judge a bike based on shootouts

The Shop

Madmax31
Fantasy
128th
10/11/2013 7:55am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2013 7:56am
I was very hesitant, but bought a 13 450 SXF a few months back. I'm not one of those that only likes a certain brand. I was hesitant because it's the one bike I've never owned.

I think it's the best handling bike I've ever ridden. Some hate the forks, I haven't re-valved them, and have gotten them dialed in to where they are good...for me. I absolutely love the bike.

The motor is awesome, the brakes and clutch amazing, love that I can just pull the airbox cover off without tools.
10/11/2013 8:00am
The e-start button on the pumpkin is great. So when it is 90 degrees and you kill the bike in a turn, just hit the button.
Why does Honda have hydraulic clutchs on there factory bikes and not production bikes?
KTM plus on brakes, clutch,horsepower,KTM hardparts accessories, chain and sprockets will last more than a month. Exhaust pipe will take a crash without bending.
KTM is worth the few extra dollars.
10/11/2013 8:18am
The ktm! The honda 450 is a great bike, but no match for the ktm. Ktm has cought the japs sleeping. The motor , brakes, handeling, ergos, quality, ELECTRIC start all better on the pumkin!
The Oracle
Fantasy
4164th
10/11/2013 8:49am
That depends what you are going to do with it, if you're going to commit to racing or just riding for fun.

No doubt the Honda is what most people feel comfortable on and is a very easy bike to ride. I ride a 12 CRF450 myself, and I love the bike.

So if you're not too fuzzed about $$ suspension, motor, exhausts e.g. get the Honda.

I will however admit that my next bike, being a racer, will be the KTM SXF450.
This bike is a complete race bike, with an amazing motor and decent suspension. The brakes, hydraulic clutch and electric start are + as well. The difference is that it costs more.

So if you bought a Honda, and WOULD spend money on brakes, clutch, motor and suspension work, you should pick up the Katoom.

(I don't know how tall you are, but I am 188cm tall and felt better on the "taller" KTM.)
Agent717
10/11/2013 9:03am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2013 9:05am
The e-start button on the pumpkin is great. So when it is 90 degrees and you kill the bike in a turn, just hit the button...
The e-start button on the pumpkin is great. So when it is 90 degrees and you kill the bike in a turn, just hit the button.
Why does Honda have hydraulic clutchs on there factory bikes and not production bikes?
KTM plus on brakes, clutch,horsepower,KTM hardparts accessories, chain and sprockets will last more than a month. Exhaust pipe will take a crash without bending.
KTM is worth the few extra dollars.
Not sure why everyone thinks Honda owes them a hydraulic clutch. Just because they CAN make it doesn't mean everyone is willing to pay for it (though I imagine it will find its way into production someday). KTM could make a carbon frame, does that mean they should?
Everyone bitches about how much the bikes cost now, throw on that clutch and price goes up. Some people may not care about a couple hundred bucks but the vast majority of people will complain about the cost.
KTM is structured to operate as a low volume, high cost business. It's their model and it works for them and the few that are willing to pay the premiums.

If you ask me, Honda delivers an excellent product considering the size of the ship they have to steer.

Sorry for the tangent. Carry on...
Arkmx
10/11/2013 10:21am

From Racer X ......

HOPSTOOPID
10/11/2013 11:26am
Arkmx wrote:

From Racer X ......

Pretty funny that they hire a KTM employee to test and give feedback on the new 450SXF.

Post a reply to: KTM 450 SXF or Honda CRF 450

The Latest