KTM 150 SX or KTM 250 SX

AKmotorider
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 8:32am
I somewhat recently started a thread about the pros and cons of the KTM 250 SX and the YZ250. It really provided some extremely helpful information. However, I've been thinking more and more that I may not actually need a 250. Without the ability to test ride the two bikes in the title, I need some more opinions again.

I am 19 years old, 180lbs, and about 5'10". I am a dead-set intermediate level rider that races MX exclusively. One of my biggest appeals towards buying a two stroke is the fun factor, and I think that being forced to ride a bike hard in order to go fast is what can really improve my skills. On another note, here where I live, my local track is not large by any means. It is not even comparable to the tracks in California, or any other true motocross track for that matter. It is about the same size, maybe just a bit larger, than a typical Monster Energy Supercross track. Obviously the layout is totally different, and in terms of track style it is more similar to a motocross track. I'm thinking purely in terms of dimensions.

I am coming off a clapped-out, blown-up 07 YZ250F. I can ride the piss out of it, and have. At the same time, I love riding the piss out of machines. I just love that riding style: aggressive, pinned. Sometime I wonder if I''l actually be able to do that on a 250 two-stroke with it's incredible power. Probably not, especially on relatively small tracks. I wanna hear that bike sing when I ride it.

As for more frequent repairs, well, honestly that doesn't matter to me. It's a two stroke, after all, repairs don't normally take very long. My 250 four-stroke on the other hand sometimes had me out for half the week.

I am set on a two-stroke. So far along, it seems pretty obvious that the 150 might be the better choice, and if it weren't for the fact that I'm coming off of a bigger bike, I wouldn't be asking this question to begin with. That's my biggest gripe: Is it really a good idea to essentially down-grade in terms of CC's? What if it turns out to not have the power that I expected? My Yz250F, after all, had just about every engine mod done to it besides increasing the bore and stroke. It had aftermarket cams, high comp piston, etc.

Whatever bike I choose will most likely be the one I keep for a long time. I plan on buying it new (probably a '15) if I can't get a smoking hot deal on a barely used one.

This one is really making my mind hurt. What do you guys think?

|
mehow2g
9/21/2014 2:20am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2014 2:25am
You sound like you really like having fun instead of straight out lap times which I respect but that doesn't mean you wont get great lap times on 150/250 could be even better since you like pinning bikes and pushing them to their limits.

Since your YZF250 is clapped out you will probably find the 150sx wont have as much power and with the 250sx it may be too much with the power and its a bigger/heavier bike, going by your post I think you will probably prefer a 150sx because its much more "chuckable" due to its weight but for fun factor both 150 and 250 will be more enjoyable than a 4 stroke.

I've been debating between both bikes too I'm, 6'1" around 190lbs at the moment planning to cut down to 175-180lbs and I've decided when I get a new bike it will be a 150sx because I miss the days of riding on my 85/125.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAWvvNCu-gQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN0EIAKZM6I

These 2 vids helped me decide.
9/21/2014 5:42am
I have an 01 yz 250 and I'm your same height and weight and that thing still scares the shit out of me. I would go with a 150. I rode one once and loved it.
superorbital
9/21/2014 6:50am
Oh yeah, fast forward to about the 2 minute mark on the KTM 250 video unless you want to watch a really long start.

The Shop

Bressler11
9/21/2014 6:58am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2014 7:15am
I Have rode both the 150 & 250 at a Ktm Demo Day, The 150 has 39 Hp just under what my kx 250f has I weigh 225 and it hauled me around just fine. The 250 had plenty of power I loved both. Besides the the power the 250 vibrated a lot more than 150 thats just my 2 cents.
downard254
9/21/2014 7:11am
From everything I've heard/read about these bikes, I can only respond with the following.

250SX = FUN

150SX = FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, AND MORE FUN.
Crush
9/21/2014 7:12am
downard254 wrote:
From everything I've heard/read about these bikes, I can only respond with the following. 250SX = FUN 150SX = FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, AND MORE...
From everything I've heard/read about these bikes, I can only respond with the following.

250SX = FUN

150SX = FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN, AND MORE FUN.
This!
Eddie_E
9/21/2014 7:58am
I would go with the YZ250. I had a 2000 YZ250 and I loved that motor for it's split personality. I could short shift and have the same level of power the 250F has or rev it hard and power over whoops with power to spare. My only complaint was how easy it was to break loose the rear end on rock wooded hill climbs, as I was riding half wood/half MX on mine.

I ride an 07 CRF 450 on the track and an a YZ250F in the woods now. The one thing I miss when I ride my 450 is that it doesn't mellow when I short shift. It either pulls hard or it stalls.

I think the horsepower deal between the YZ250 and the 250SX is something I can't really feel as a B racer. The only difference I feel between the two is the SX turns a bit tighter in a flat turn but feels like it going to start head shaking in high speed chop. My comment as a YZ rider coming off the 250SX was "it could use a steering damper". All the Yamahas I've ridden I just glide across the chop and it always feels like it's going in the right general direction.

markit
9/21/2014 8:41am
Yea if you like ridding on the edge of the power delivery the 150sx will be the ticket. I tried the 250/300s and450s before returning to the 200 KTM (raced IT 175/200s in the 80s) and had way more fun. On a smaller track the weight and better handling will even out any advantage a 250f would have.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
9/21/2014 9:40am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2014 9:41am
If you can already handle the weight of your 250 F, then I would go with something like a YZ 250. The 250 SX may be a little too powerful, but the YZ250 should be just right. You can also put on a flywheel wait of about 9 ounces, and that will help smooth out the power. When you start doing laps on the track with the 250 two-stroke you'll get used to it.
slipdog
9/21/2014 9:42am
Why choose... how's your credit score?
nytsmaC
9/21/2014 9:44am
It sounds like you already know the 150 will suit you better. Go for it, they're not as slow or underpowered as some people think. Think of your 250f weighing 20lbs less , having less bottom end but more mid-top. Sounds like fun right? Right!
Trav138
9/21/2014 10:01am
Go with the 250 two stroke.

Imo a 250 is easier to ride than a 125/150. The increased power makes it easier to ride and go fast on.
You will adapt to the power of the 250 fast.
9/21/2014 3:58pm
I rode a 150 at a ktm ride day right after riding a ktm 125. Those things are a blast. Just imagine a 125 that doesn't really bog. All I can say is that thing had some serious hit. If you enjoy riding 125's but want more then a 150 is the bike for you
JW381
9/21/2014 8:30pm
slipdog wrote:
Why choose... how's your credit score?
This is the right answer
bkent136
9/21/2014 8:59pm
I had the same dilemma... I live in FL and I flew all the way to Cali for the KTM Dealer Demo rides back in June. I rode every bike they made. My main question was should I get a 2015 150sx or a 2015 250sx. I ended up choosing the 250sx, and I couldnt be happier! I got to ride her today and it was so much fun!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyoskX4Fb4&list=UUEA24bi0fhP8bJHiFpMsD…
AKmotorider
9/21/2014 10:35pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bniDgU2zcg

This video may've just steered me away from KTM..no joke. Neither the wheels or the chassis should've bent from the small overshoot at 1:37. I can't believe it would do that as a brand new bike! The stock wheels on my 250 have been through hell and back and they have never bent bad enough that the bike had to be pulled back in for a new chassis.

I really want to like KTM, but in order to do that, I have to have confidence in the parts. That is just ridiculous.
markit
9/22/2014 2:16am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bniDgU2zcg This video may've just steered me away from KTM..no joke. Neither the wheels or the chassis should've bent from the small overshoot at 1:37. I...

This video may've just steered me away from KTM..no joke. Neither the wheels or the chassis should've bent from the small overshoot at 1:37. I can't believe it would do that as a brand new bike! The stock wheels on my 250 have been through hell and back and they have never bent bad enough that the bike had to be pulled back in for a new chassis.

I really want to like KTM, but in order to do that, I have to have confidence in the parts. That is just ridiculous.
Did you even watch the vid? Nothing happen to the bike,.Maby steer away from YT titles.lol
AKmotorider
9/22/2014 2:48am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bniDgU2zcg This video may've just steered me away from KTM..no joke. Neither the wheels or the chassis should've bent from the small overshoot at 1:37. I...

markit wrote:
Did you even watch the vid? Nothing happen to the bike,.Maby steer away from YT titles.lol
Ya I watched it, didn't look like anything was wrong when he captured it from the side. I was just going off the description.
Vet57
9/22/2014 4:26am
bkent136 wrote:
I had the same dilemma... I live in FL and I flew all the way to Cali for the KTM Dealer Demo rides back in June...
I had the same dilemma... I live in FL and I flew all the way to Cali for the KTM Dealer Demo rides back in June. I rode every bike they made. My main question was should I get a 2015 150sx or a 2015 250sx. I ended up choosing the 250sx, and I couldnt be happier! I got to ride her today and it was so much fun!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyoskX4Fb4&list=UUEA24bi0fhP8bJHiFpMsD…
Is that Bostwick?
AKmotorider
9/22/2014 7:03am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2014 7:46am
nornevrder wrote:
Akmotorider her is a video against 450s in the vet ex class at Kincaid. Race starts at 1:25. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Z6bbW5OGc
Akmotorider her is a video against 450s in the vet ex class at Kincaid. Race starts at 1:25. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Z6bbW5OGc
Thank you so much for sharing that, because that video made my decision. We are of somewhat similar speeds, you're definitely a bit faster than me in the corners and such, but either way I now know that I would be much happier on a 250 than on a 150. That thing really hooked up, and I really liked the acceleration it had everywhere, even if you were in a corner and didn't carry a lot of momentum (like quite a few corners we have here prevent, in fact) it still hauled ass out of it and you didn't have to shift through 3 gears to get there.

I like it just by watching! Brings back memories of my 85. I should've hopped on yours when it was for sale! Sounds like you got it jetted pretty well too. A 250 is definitely going to be my next purchase!

Oh, and a quick question: After jumping the ant hill and throttling towards the corner before the infield, did you shift down a gear?
nornevrder
9/22/2014 9:21am
First lap I hit the anthill in 2nd and went up to third. I left it in third through that corner and over the infield. Due to being off my bike for 5 weeks and just deciding to race the Saturday before ,my timing and fitness was way off. It's a great bike and I had a lot of fun on it when I rode it.
7/20/2015 7:40am
I am new to this forum but I have both of the bikes in question, so I will offer up my advice. First and foremost, the 150 wont work too well for anybody over about 175-180 pounds depending on altitude and such. While it does make about the same horsepower of a 250f, it only does that in about a 2000 rpm window. The more load on the bike, the harder it is to keep it there. And as far as keeping it on the pipe, you have to shift 2-3 times for every straight and corner. Yes, the 150 is a very fun, awesome bike that feels light as a feather, but they are very hard to ride fast at a consistent pace. But when you do this, you can jump every jump on the track, although it may require a seat bounce and a prayer that you make it to the other side. This may sound negative, but I do love the bike for all the reasons mentioned above. That is why I have had two and ridden them for a combined five years.

The 250 is a monster. It makes just shy of 50 horsepower and will haul anybody's fat ass around the track just fine. It has a wider power band and is easier to keep on the pipe. You do still have to ride it like a two stroke though. The thing hits hard and tires it's rider out. With this bike it is more about controlling the power than trying to get the most out of the motor(like a 150). If you aren't used to two stroke power, you will be blown off the back. However, when you get the hang of it you will be able to turn faster laps than on a 150(an extra ten horses does wonder on long, sandy hills). This bike has the power to stay on top of whoops, sand and mud. It can clear any jump easily. Also, against a field of 250fs this bike is a guaranteed holeshot.

So, in conclusion, if you are a lighter guy looking for a super fun bike and this is all that matters to you, get a 150. If you crave power or frequent the local doughnut shop, the 250 is for you. I am about 6'2 and 160-165 pounds (depends on time of day) and race C and combined B/C classes in Colorado.
BobPA
7/20/2015 8:32am
I am new to this forum but I have both of the bikes in question, so I will offer up my advice. First and foremost, the...
I am new to this forum but I have both of the bikes in question, so I will offer up my advice. First and foremost, the 150 wont work too well for anybody over about 175-180 pounds depending on altitude and such. While it does make about the same horsepower of a 250f, it only does that in about a 2000 rpm window. The more load on the bike, the harder it is to keep it there. And as far as keeping it on the pipe, you have to shift 2-3 times for every straight and corner. Yes, the 150 is a very fun, awesome bike that feels light as a feather, but they are very hard to ride fast at a consistent pace. But when you do this, you can jump every jump on the track, although it may require a seat bounce and a prayer that you make it to the other side. This may sound negative, but I do love the bike for all the reasons mentioned above. That is why I have had two and ridden them for a combined five years.

The 250 is a monster. It makes just shy of 50 horsepower and will haul anybody's fat ass around the track just fine. It has a wider power band and is easier to keep on the pipe. You do still have to ride it like a two stroke though. The thing hits hard and tires it's rider out. With this bike it is more about controlling the power than trying to get the most out of the motor(like a 150). If you aren't used to two stroke power, you will be blown off the back. However, when you get the hang of it you will be able to turn faster laps than on a 150(an extra ten horses does wonder on long, sandy hills). This bike has the power to stay on top of whoops, sand and mud. It can clear any jump easily. Also, against a field of 250fs this bike is a guaranteed holeshot.

So, in conclusion, if you are a lighter guy looking for a super fun bike and this is all that matters to you, get a 150. If you crave power or frequent the local doughnut shop, the 250 is for you. I am about 6'2 and 160-165 pounds (depends on time of day) and race C and combined B/C classes in Colorado.
Next time check the dates of the thread.

Informative post though..

Post a reply to: KTM 150 SX or KTM 250 SX

The Latest