KTM....

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
Edited Date/Time 10/9/2015 8:17am
Has anyone besides me realized that KTM won 450SX, 250SX east, WXC GNCC, XC1 GNCC, and it's looking like XC2 GNCC is firmly in the hands of a certain Brit that goes by the name UK JT, who rides a DirtWise backed KTM? I'm thinking the "Big 4" need to do some rethinking of the current lineup and target market. I was at the Unadilla GNCC today racing (got 10th in 40+B...sucked but at least I finished). I noticed during both the morning race and the afternoon race that most of the bikes were KTM...might as well be spec racing. There were 880 or so in the morning adult race and over 300 in the afternoon race....that's 1100+ bikes, probably 75% KTM...it's like a sea of orange. That represents serious $$, and the Japanese manufacturers should take note...they're getting their collective hat handed to them by KTM.
|
kiwifan
9/21/2015 1:09am
I am sure posting here will get their attention
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
9/21/2015 1:36am
Has anyone besides me realized that KTM won 450SX, 250SX east, WXC GNCC, XC1 GNCC, and it's looking like XC2 GNCC is firmly in the hands...
Has anyone besides me realized that KTM won 450SX, 250SX east, WXC GNCC, XC1 GNCC, and it's looking like XC2 GNCC is firmly in the hands of a certain Brit that goes by the name UK JT, who rides a DirtWise backed KTM? I'm thinking the "Big 4" need to do some rethinking of the current lineup and target market. I was at the Unadilla GNCC today racing (got 10th in 40+B...sucked but at least I finished). I noticed during both the morning race and the afternoon race that most of the bikes were KTM...might as well be spec racing. There were 880 or so in the morning adult race and over 300 in the afternoon race....that's 1100+ bikes, probably 75% KTM...it's like a sea of orange. That represents serious $$, and the Japanese manufacturers should take note...they're getting their collective hat handed to them by KTM.
they also stopped making trails bikes a number of years ago, Yamaha has made a token effort in the last couple of years, but your right, the japanese brands have given up on off road racing,
9/21/2015 3:23am
Has anyone besides me realized that KTM won 450SX, 250SX east, WXC GNCC, XC1 GNCC, and it's looking like XC2 GNCC is firmly in the hands...
All those bikes and Ktms best year ever was 56 mill net profit. The japs won't get out of bed for that little money
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
9/21/2015 4:26am
scott_nz wrote:
they also stopped making trails bikes a number of years ago, Yamaha has made a token effort in the last couple of years, but your right...
they also stopped making trails bikes a number of years ago, Yamaha has made a token effort in the last couple of years, but your right, the japanese brands have given up on off road racing,
You would have to say Yamaha's effort is a little more than Token, well espeically for our part of the World.

I guess the U.S and even New Zealand is different in regards to being easier to ride a MX bike in general off-road riding areas.

For us here in Aus, Yamaha are the only Japanes manufacture that have taken the effort to continually updating their top end high performance road legal off road dirt bikes.

The WR and FX (which I am pretty sure was more targeted towards NZ anyway) are both great bikes and pretty much a MX bike with the ADR compliant parts needed in Aus.

Honda has not updated their X range for years, Suzuki at least have the RM-X road legal here in Aus now and Kawasaki the KLX, but the Kawi, Honda and Suzuki are all based off older MX bikes.

The Shop

Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
9/21/2015 4:42am
Exact same deal at the junior level here in AUS... It's more then just the updated line.. At a state level local dealerships are running semi-professional teams with guys on 50s, 65s, 85s, 125s, and 250f's... It's surprising they are the only manufacture doing it
markit
9/21/2015 4:59am
Yamaha is making a run at the offroad market with the 250FX/250X and the comming 450FX Hopfully a 200XW in the near future (i would retire the 200exc for a new ITish 200). My 03 200exc is still kicking in the old guy class even at 12 yrs old. honda never really had a real woods race bike, the XRs where good offroad bikes but needed a lot of massaging to be usable in a race. I can see Kawa and Suzy jumping in if the Yam models take off, i think there keeping an eye out for sure. Kawa has steped up its offroad game from what i hear in GNCC.
resetjet
9/21/2015 5:54am
Bike brands are like religion. You are born into it. I am amazed that people subscribe to a bike brand like they do, not based on the merits per say of the bike......I understand people like certain traits of bikes, etc.....but to ride one brand your whole career seems small minded...There is always a turd in the lineup....

Now that being said, wait til 5 or 10 years from now when the kids who came up on KTM are the ones buying the bikes.....And I am sure you will see the japs take notice. And if they do, that is good for us......
njracer46
9/21/2015 6:05am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2015 6:06am
resetjet wrote:
Bike brands are like religion. You are born into it. I am amazed that people subscribe to a bike brand like they do, not based on...
Bike brands are like religion. You are born into it. I am amazed that people subscribe to a bike brand like they do, not based on the merits per say of the bike......I understand people like certain traits of bikes, etc.....but to ride one brand your whole career seems small minded...There is always a turd in the lineup....

Now that being said, wait til 5 or 10 years from now when the kids who came up on KTM are the ones buying the bikes.....And I am sure you will see the japs take notice. And if they do, that is good for us......
That's how most of my friends are, it gets a little old hearing why this brand is the best when they all have flaws and they all break at some point. I like to bring these things up, what about that time in Florida when you blew up two rm's in one day? They have all ridden different bikes but I guess they refuse to buy something out of the norm for them.

I've owned at least one each of the big 6 over the years, even huskies before ktm owned them. I'm not brand loyal at all. You make something I want, I'm gonna buy it no matter who makes it. I can't take people who talk shit on every other bike and think whatever bike they have is the best of the best. What about that kid on the 98 kx125 that just blew your doors off when you're on a brand new 450? Live outside the box people!
dcg141
9/21/2015 7:54am
kiwifan wrote:
I am sure posting here will get their attention
Obsessed much?
DE262
9/21/2015 8:03am
It has more to do with the rider and the effort they put in- as well as the team behind them. That and the budgets involved.

Not knocking any OEM at all, but with the right people in the right places, and a big enough pile of money my Road Toad one-hundo could finish towards the front.
kidding...

Happy riders= fast riders.
TallonT911
9/21/2015 8:23am
Ramirez or Sutherlin will most likely win the National Hare and Hound series and Cory Graffunder is leading the points for the West Hare Scrambles series on a KTM as well.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
9/21/2015 8:26am
I think overall bike sales are down but KTM is up as they continue to get a larger slice of the shrinking pie.
Good for KTM.
newmann
9/21/2015 8:41am
All those bikes and Ktms best year ever was 56 mill net profit. The japs won't get out of bed for that little money
Laughing Finally, others are noticing. Thought it was just me!

Meanwhile, back at Honda...

endurox
9/21/2015 9:09am
KTM spends lots on R&D which brings down the net profit. KTM is run by enthusiasts, not bean counters.
9/21/2015 9:59am
endurox wrote:
KTM spends lots on R&D which brings down the net profit. KTM is run by enthusiasts, not bean counters.
Lol so the big 4 don't spend a lot of money on r&d. Keep believing that's the reason for 57 mill net profit
BobPA
9/21/2015 10:29am
Lol so the big 4 don't spend a lot of money on r&d. Keep believing that's the reason for 57 mill net profit
You and kiwifan are the most consistent haters of KTM, it is actually impressive.

Their net profit is small, because they are a small company...and they are kicking the shit out of the multi billion dollar jap brands. Which is kind of embarrassing, all that money and resources and they cannot seem to get it right.

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
9/21/2015 10:30am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2015 10:34am
endurox wrote:
KTM sell a small fraction of the bikes worldwide than Honda do, but your right, the Japanese Brands accountants wont let them spend the money to devolp bikes for the small market that is cross country race motorcycles,

yet 3 of the big 4 jap brands have all released new side by side models in the last year, except Suzuki, who are asleep at the wheel currently,
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
9/21/2015 10:33am
aaryn #234 wrote:
You would have to say Yamaha's effort is a little more than Token, well espeically for our part of the World. I guess the U.S and...
You would have to say Yamaha's effort is a little more than Token, well espeically for our part of the World.

I guess the U.S and even New Zealand is different in regards to being easier to ride a MX bike in general off-road riding areas.

For us here in Aus, Yamaha are the only Japanes manufacture that have taken the effort to continually updating their top end high performance road legal off road dirt bikes.

The WR and FX (which I am pretty sure was more targeted towards NZ anyway) are both great bikes and pretty much a MX bike with the ADR compliant parts needed in Aus.

Honda has not updated their X range for years, Suzuki at least have the RM-X road legal here in Aus now and Kawasaki the KLX, but the Kawi, Honda and Suzuki are all based off older MX bikes.

token might be a bit harsh, but when you compare the YZ X/WR range to what KTM put out, then its not really a big effort from yamaha,

and there is no way a bike was developed for the NZ market, esp when Yamaha here is run as part of the australian distributor,

and your right, we can ride a MX bike nearly anywhere you can ride a EXC/WR, there is very little point in having a full road legal dirtbike like you need in Aussie,

the RMX is based on the latest injected RMZ450 as well, and goes alright, but your right about the KLX and CRF X, are based of the last of the carb's 450 mxers,
9/21/2015 1:21pm
Wait until we start seeing ktm generators and ktm lawn equipment. That alone should double ktms profit.
endurox
9/21/2015 2:18pm
Look at stock prices, Honda is actually down from 6 years ago, KHI, Suzuki up about 200%. KTM up over 1000%. Investors like the future of KTM AG.
RangerLee
9/21/2015 2:33pm
That is EXACTLY the type of business thinking that will get them in trouble. It is small now compared to their numbers, but those numbers change quickly.

The big advantage the Japanese bikes have is they are cheap to work on. Not to mention they have 2 strokes of many sizes, which make it easier for non-pro's to work on.

That will change as the amount of KTMs in the market continue to grow. Lets face it, people see all those Orange bikes, they remember. They see those bikes winning everywhere, they remember, and the number of KTM's sold will continue to grow.

When the dollars are high enough for the Japanese to "get out of bed" it will be too late.

endurox
9/21/2015 2:34pm
Apple at one time had just a few % of the market share..
9/21/2015 3:51pm
RangerLee wrote:
That is EXACTLY the type of business thinking that will get them in trouble. It is small now compared to their numbers, but those numbers change...
That is EXACTLY the type of business thinking that will get them in trouble. It is small now compared to their numbers, but those numbers change quickly.

The big advantage the Japanese bikes have is they are cheap to work on. Not to mention they have 2 strokes of many sizes, which make it easier for non-pro's to work on.

That will change as the amount of KTMs in the market continue to grow. Lets face it, people see all those Orange bikes, they remember. They see those bikes winning everywhere, they remember, and the number of KTM's sold will continue to grow.

When the dollars are high enough for the Japanese to "get out of bed" it will be too late.

Could you please pass your business knowledge on to all Japenese motorcycle manufacturers to save these businesses. I don't want to have to own KTM's .
Tonynz
9/21/2015 4:38pm
They have taken over my world.
JB 19
9/21/2015 5:45pm
RangerLee wrote:
That is EXACTLY the type of business thinking that will get them in trouble. It is small now compared to their numbers, but those numbers change...

True. If you haven't read the book "Tipping Point" it talks about how many changes happen very quickly once they are set in motion. I now KTM has been around forever, but not the KTM we know today. Today's KTM has existed for less than 10 years, which is a very short time in an industry that does years of R&D before releasing a new model. I don't think the Japanese bike brands are in danger of going out of business anytime soon, but I could see a time 5 years from now where KTM clearly is the best in nearly every dirt cycle related catagory. They aren't far off now.
ktmwoods
9/21/2015 5:52pm
DE262 wrote:
It has more to do with the rider and the effort they put in- as well as the team behind them. That and the budgets involved...
It has more to do with the rider and the effort they put in- as well as the team behind them. That and the budgets involved.

Not knocking any OEM at all, but with the right people in the right places, and a big enough pile of money my Road Toad one-hundo could finish towards the front.
kidding...

Happy riders= fast riders.
+1
RMT
9/21/2015 6:00pm
RangerLee wrote:

JB 19 wrote:
True. If you haven't read the book "Tipping Point" it talks about how many changes happen very quickly once they are set in motion. I now...
True. If you haven't read the book "Tipping Point" it talks about how many changes happen very quickly once they are set in motion. I now KTM has been around forever, but not the KTM we know today. Today's KTM has existed for less than 10 years, which is a very short time in an industry that does years of R&D before releasing a new model. I don't think the Japanese bike brands are in danger of going out of business anytime soon, but I could see a time 5 years from now where KTM clearly is the best in nearly every dirt cycle related catagory. They aren't far off now.
I remember not that long ago when all these types of posts were about Honda. Not comparing the two companies but instead their owners. Everything is cyclical, especially in this industry.

One other thing. The Japanese have seemed to be asleep as you say because they have been busy making millions going after the emerging markets. They are now back to focusing on the North American market and the huge gains you saw from Polaris, KTM and even BRP and BMW will be challenged going forward. Think about it, all they have to do is dig out the steel frames from the mid 90's, throw on a hydraulic clutch, electric starter and the suspension they used 10 years ago. Paint that bitch some weird color and they can charge $10k plus per bike. With that kind margin, they can easily be 200lbs. And they will get the ama to lower the min weight for them.

Just joking, don't go defending KTM on me, I think they are great bikes.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
9/21/2015 6:28pm
endurox wrote:
Apple at one time had just a few % of the market share..
i dont think the apple reference is that good, apple went after major markets with the ipod, the iphone, then ipad, which is what has created thier profit, in motorcycle production off road is not the biggest segment world wide, road is, esp small capacity road for emerging markets, that is where the big $$'s are being made,

and they still look to moto gp, which is why yamaha and honda spend so much money there,

Post a reply to: KTM....

The Latest