Just got my 2012 ride.....'74 Yamaha Moto-Bike

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:31am
I know slightly off topic......but it's off season.

Anyone remember or have one of these? Almost as heavy as a '12 450.

I have the original wheels and grips but I am missing the tractor grip tires. I am looking for some parts for another one I have if anyone knows of any.

|
bigborefan
12/2/2011 11:44am
Coolest post all week. That is sweet.

Makes we remember the Webco, Ashatabula cranks, Moto Mags, and Matthews bicycles.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/2/2011 11:45am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 11:45am
I got one of those Christmas that year. I literally rode that one into the ground. Smile

The Motomags are a nice score as well.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
12/2/2011 11:46am
As a young boy I really wanted one,thought that was the coolest bike back in the day.

The Shop

vet323
12/2/2011 11:47am
I had a Suzuki bike way back when.
newmann
12/2/2011 11:47am
I had an orange one identical to that. My brother had a yellow one. The three piece cranks sucked, always bent and that damn pin that holds them on always tore the hide off my ankle. Doper kid stole both of them from us. Years later I ended up getting most of a yellow one with the one piece lower bottom bracket and the aluminum lower fork legs. Still have it in the attic in pieces. Need some parts myself. There was a moto bike website out there in google land that had decals and some misc. parts available.
TooOldToPlay
12/2/2011 12:22pm
Man I'm jealous... spun miles of laps on those...and Newmann you are right, those dang cranks and pins were a pain. Still pretty cool to have back then....and now!

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
12/2/2011 12:36pm
+2 on the cranks. Great old school pics
!
jathey
12/2/2011 12:53pm
Awesome. I asked for and received one of these for Christmas one year - mine was the later model, which came with a banana seat (I immediately changed it).

Here's where it get's fun; Christmas morning I jumped it off of a huge dirt pile. Upon landing, the forks let out a loud 'bang' and stuck in the down position. I was afraid to tell my parents that I had already broken the bike, so I cut slits in toilet paper tubes and taped them around the fork tubes to hold them up. They would eventually compress (the tp tubes) and I would have to periodically replace them. I rode the bike that way the entire time I had it. I finally broke the frame on our infamous 'board over dog house' jump.

Later on, my brother got a new Mongoose with Moto Mags (1980 maybe?). Still have it.

Some of my friends had those monoshock BMX bikes with the bridge girder-like forks. I always thought those were much cooler than my Yamaha Moto-Bike.
DanDunes818
12/2/2011 1:04pm
GuyB wrote:
I got one of those Christmas that year. I literally rode that one into the ground. Smile

That's awesome.. The motomags aren't period correct though are they? I had a pair in I think 81, 82.. They were too heavy for BMX (if i remember right) but real tough to tweak ..
RandyS
12/2/2011 2:40pm
I've got a yellow A currently sitting next to my Aluminum Kawasaki, I just need a Suzuki to finish off the set. Unfortunately the Suzuki is the most rare and I'm not going to pay for one so the two will sit without their cousin. At one time I had a J61 which is the euro version that has drum brakes like this one.

newmann
12/2/2011 3:00pm
Friend of mine had the Suzuki bmx'er. Still have my Webco Ultimate with the magnesium Webco mags. Don't have the Captain America helmet though.....

12/2/2011 3:25pm
I had a set of those honeycomb mags when I was a kid. I think I traded them for a set of skyways
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
12/2/2011 4:03pm
If you ever part with that webco let me know!

I have this Matthews too

RandyS
12/2/2011 4:05pm
newmann wrote:
Friend of mine had the Suzuki bmx'er. Still have my Webco Ultimate with the magnesium Webco mags. Don't have the Captain America helmet though..... [img]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/webco.jpg[/img]
Friend of mine had the Suzuki bmx'er. Still have my Webco Ultimate with the magnesium Webco mags. Don't have the Captain America helmet though.....

How are the mags holding up?
jhkinin
12/2/2011 7:03pm
newmann wrote:
Friend of mine had the Suzuki bmx'er. Still have my Webco Ultimate with the magnesium Webco mags. Don't have the Captain America helmet though..... [img]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/webco.jpg[/img]

Seams like just yesterday that I was thrashing a red Webco with Motmags and Ashtabula forks and cranks. Saved for a year to finally put Redline forks on the bike. Thought I was the coolest kid in the San Fernando Valley until I saw the aluminum FMF bike... Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
pete24
12/2/2011 7:12pm
i bought a 74 orange just like that 140 dollars i saved it up my self i was 11 i never broke anything on it and it was absolutly perfect when i gave it to my younger cousin (who completly destroyed it) mite have been due to the fact that i was a fat little kid with no skill , ambition, or energy to ride it but it sure looked cool
newmann
12/2/2011 7:37pm
newmann wrote:

RandyS wrote:
Obviously you know that mag is a strange animal. The wheels had a pretty thick clearcoating on them, not sure if it was powdercoat but it had that wonderful mag corrosion creeping under it. I picked and peeled all the clear off way back then and just kept the bare mag clean and WD-40'd. Did a light glass beading on them about ten years ago with the intent of restoring the bike but they are up in the attic still. The frame got blasted clean, painted and restickered. Need a good set of black Ashtabula forks for it to motivate me again to finish it!
RandyS
12/2/2011 8:35pm
newmann wrote:

RandyS wrote:
newmann wrote:
Obviously you know that mag is a strange animal. The wheels had a pretty thick clearcoating on them, not sure if it was powdercoat but it...
Obviously you know that mag is a strange animal. The wheels had a pretty thick clearcoating on them, not sure if it was powdercoat but it had that wonderful mag corrosion creeping under it. I picked and peeled all the clear off way back then and just kept the bare mag clean and WD-40'd. Did a light glass beading on them about ten years ago with the intent of restoring the bike but they are up in the attic still. The frame got blasted clean, painted and restickered. Need a good set of black Ashtabula forks for it to motivate me again to finish it!
I don't know why but the ones that have the clear still on them have the most cancer. I haven't looked lately but ebay was filled with NOS Astabulas for $20-$40 a few years ago. I've got half a dozen used sets if you can't find any.
NorcalVet
12/2/2011 10:52pm
... nice.

-- I always had Redlines back in the day... So I picked up a new school mx 24 Redline off craigslist for $150 a few months ago w/ retro colors. Now it has red anodized layed-back seat post and v-bars. Not in pic...

newmann
12/3/2011 7:39am
NorcalVet wrote:
... nice. -- I always had Redlines back in the day... So I picked up a new school mx 24 Redline off craigslist for $150 a...
... nice.

-- I always had Redlines back in the day... So I picked up a new school mx 24 Redline off craigslist for $150 a few months ago w/ retro colors. Now it has red anodized layed-back seat post and v-bars. Not in pic...

But there is a sweet ass 69 in the pic. More on that please.....
12/3/2011 8:03am
Had an orange '74 that was stolen shortly after I got it new for Christmas.

Went to the old Yamaha Dirt Days event in early '75, where they held BMX races on Moto Bikes that Yamaha supplied. They even brought their own pyramid style jumps made from plywood, about 3-4 feet tall, which ensured a flat land impact. By the end of the weekend, there was a pile of about 30 MotoBikes laying next to the semi trailer, all broken,thrashed.

Not sure how many they brought, but every time one of them broke, they just wheeled out a new one.

Still have my owners manual.

Anyone interested in an NOS Trick Ray front fender?Whistling
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
12/3/2011 10:32am
Yamaha Gold Cup BMX 1974 LA Coliseum. Anyone here race this?

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
12/3/2011 10:42am
GuyB wrote:

That's awesome.. The motomags aren't period correct though are they? I had a pair in I think 81, 82.. They were too heavy for BMX (if...
That's awesome.. The motomags aren't period correct though are they? I had a pair in I think 81, 82.. They were too heavy for BMX (if i remember right) but real tough to tweak ..
Motomags came out in '74. I have Motomag II's (they look pretty similar) which are early '77. So you are correct mine are not quite period correct.

http://www.vintagemongoose.com/products/motomagwheels.php

Dan I was reading that Indian Dunes had a BMX track for a short time around '72. It is credited as the 3rd ever BMX track built. Is this correct? Do you have any pictures?
NorcalVet
12/3/2011 5:22pm
NorcalVet wrote:
... nice. -- I always had Redlines back in the day... So I picked up a new school mx 24 Redline off craigslist for $150 a...
... nice.

newmann wrote:
But there is a sweet ass 69 in the pic. More on that please.....
Yes .... 69 #'s matching Z/28- RS. DZ 302, All OEM smog / exhaust. 373 posi, M-21, LaMans Clue, Black & White Hounds-tooth interior. Rosewood wheel, full gauges, clock, pkg. Endura front bumper. Koni's & stiffened up OEM suspension. OEM 780 Holly DP on OEM aluminum intake. Offroad #144 Chevy crossram cam...... my baby!!!

--- had a 69 RS convertible in HS.... built sleeper... sold it. Hated myself, bought this one 15+ years ago. 2nd owner

Team Ideal
12/3/2011 6:12pm
that is one sweet ride my man. I'm not much of a car guy but bowtie to the core, that's a thing of beauty, I don't care who you are.
OldTiddler
12/3/2011 7:11pm
newmann wrote:

Dude, are you sportin' the Fayva sneaks there? You had it all going on...
newmann
12/3/2011 8:58pm
newmann wrote:

OldTiddler wrote:
Dude, are you sportin' the Fayva sneaks there? You had it all going on...
"I was only doin it for all the ladies out there.....DDavis"Laughing

Yes, I stole Devin's quote. Sorry kid, I was here first. Not sure about the brand of blue suede shoes, but I do remember the wide leather Yamaha embossed logo belt and the cast pewter DG belt buckle. I bet the Bauer guy rocked one of those back in the day too. And that would have been a PDI t-shirt I was sportin'.

Post a reply to: Just got my 2012 ride.....'74 Yamaha Moto-Bike

The Latest