Judgement day, KX vs TM

nytsmaC
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2017 4:47pm
long story short, I ended up with both of these bikes and only plan to keep one. The Kawi is a new leftover 16 250f with Yosh exhaust, the TM is the new 17 300f.

Going to be a fun day at the track breaking them both in and trying to decide which one is the keeper. I can't help but want to like the TM better, but I'll give the green machine a fair chance to earn it's keep.

|
ed921reyes
4/29/2017 1:01pm
how does something like this happen? you go dealer and say i want either of these but im not certain. dealer says take both and come back with the one you dont want?
plowboy
4/29/2017 1:04pm
nytsmaC wrote:
long story short, I ended up with both of these bikes and only plan to keep one. The Kawi is a new leftover 16 250f with...
long story short, I ended up with both of these bikes and only plan to keep one. The Kawi is a new leftover 16 250f with Yosh exhaust, the TM is the new 17 300f.

Going to be a fun day at the track breaking them both in and trying to decide which one is the keeper. I can't help but want to like the TM better, but I'll give the green machine a fair chance to earn it's keep.

1st world problems....you lucky bastard. Keep us informed.
4/29/2017 1:07pm
TM's actually seem like great bikes and at the end of the day it's up to you, but I've always been worried about parts with bikes like that, just always felt since they don't have much of a presence in the US that parts might be a little scarce. Interested to hear what you think, though. And most importantly have fun!
nytsmaC
4/29/2017 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2017 1:20pm
ed921reyes wrote:
how does something like this happen? you go dealer and say i want either of these but im not certain. dealer says take both and come...
how does something like this happen? you go dealer and say i want either of these but im not certain. dealer says take both and come back with the one you dont want?
Wish it were that simple! I sold a 450 last Saturday, I had been eyeing this KX for a while. Before I went to pick it up I called my TM guy for a price on his 300, just for the heck of it. I'd already written it off as being out of my budget. He was out of town but said he'd get back to me later with a number. I didn't expect any kind of crazy deal, so I went and bought the Kawi.

I brought it home, adjusted the pegs, bars, levers, took it for a short spin in my field, it felt great. No regrets.. until shortly after, my TM guy called me back and gave me a number that I was not prepared for.

Picked up the TM on Sunday, thinking I'll just sell the KX and try to break even on it. My fiance has convinced me that I need to ride both before I sell the KX, and she's probably right, as usual, so here we go!

The Shop

nytsmaC
4/29/2017 1:18pm
TM's actually seem like great bikes and at the end of the day it's up to you, but I've always been worried about parts with bikes...
TM's actually seem like great bikes and at the end of the day it's up to you, but I've always been worried about parts with bikes like that, just always felt since they don't have much of a presence in the US that parts might be a little scarce. Interested to hear what you think, though. And most importantly have fun!
I've had five of them, this one makes six. Getting parts has never been an issue, the only complaint is not a lot of aftermarket options.
plowboy
4/29/2017 1:20pm
Well get dirty bud. We wanna know which bike is da nuts.
thorns
4/29/2017 1:24pm
Be great to hear your thoughts. I had a TM 2 stroke and was one of the best bikes I have owned.

That 300 really had my interest as well, would be at the top of my list if I get back into riding once the new family addition gets a bit older.

This is almost my dream shoot out as the KX250f is probably the only 250 I would buy as well having spun some laps on a 15 a while back, couldn't believe the motor in them for a 250, can only imagine the new gen bikes are even better.

Have fun and get back with that report ASAP!
Tuna
4/29/2017 1:33pm
TM all the way. Love them, lucky enough to have ridden several models.
Where are you located?
jock
Fantasy
1st
4/29/2017 1:41pm
Kiwifan only gets 1 bike, but you get 2. Laughing
runic121
Fantasy
1896th
4/29/2017 2:43pm
The takeaway story for you here is that you put a ring on a chick who found out you bought two bikes and told you to ride both and then decide.
Instead of telling you to sell both.
That's a win win f'ing win.
Nice.
Also interested in shootout results.
slipdog
4/29/2017 2:46pm
If I had Cam's money, I'd be burning Team Greens money for heat!
ed921reyes
4/29/2017 2:58pm
runic121 wrote:
The takeaway story for you here is that you put a ring on a chick who found out you bought two bikes and told you to...
The takeaway story for you here is that you put a ring on a chick who found out you bought two bikes and told you to ride both and then decide.
Instead of telling you to sell both.
That's a win win f'ing win.
Nice.
Also interested in shootout results.
thats the bait!
once the ring goes on it will all change

dont listen to him.
nytsmaC
4/29/2017 4:47pm
Day 1 complete, both bikes are actually very similar.

Engine: TM hands down. More everywhere, broader and smooth as glass. Even though it's geared way too tall (3rd feels almost like 4th on the Kawi) it pulls just as well off the bottom, with so much more top end. Stick it in 3rd and forget it. Negatives are the stock gearing, going to drop a tooth on the front, and it has a lot of compression braking compared to the Kawi.

Suspension: KX. It absorbs the small chop better and I think it has a bit more bottoming resistance. I didn't make any adjustments, and I'm way out of the weight range for these bikes so this has no bearing on my decision, either bike needs springs and likely valving to make me happy.

Ergos: TM. It's slimmer but still easier to grip with my legs. Both felt good and it was not hard to switch back and forth. They both fit me well.

Handling: TM. Both bikes felt very stable, I felt the TM front end was more planted, predictable and could grab an inside rut easier. Both bikes loved being steered with the rear wheel and ripping outside lines. The TM felt a little more planted flat tracking around flat turns but both were excellent.

Both bikes were grea and exceeded my expectations. I may do round 2 next weekend, but at this point I'm pretty smitten with the TM. It's lighter, faster, has e-start, the brakes are better, and is top notch quality. The only way I'm picking the Kawi was if it outperformed the TM and it doesn't, they were both great and I'd be happy with either of them.

Side note, my one major gripe with the TM is the intake noise. Holy hell, it is ear splitting at times. Going to have to address that somehow, or start riding with ear plugs.

HuskyEd
4/29/2017 4:58pm
Damn if that TM isn't a thing of beauty.Smile
Jrewing
4/29/2017 5:05pm
You're Tm for life. I don't blame you
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/29/2017 5:32pm
TM! Ear plugs are a good idea anyway to be honest.

Post a reply to: Judgement day, KX vs TM

The Latest