Js7 and Troy Lee

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3626th
9/29/2016 1:53pm
Considering the fact that they started a gear line as a business venture and without any knowledge of whether or not it ended badly. Would it be far-fetched for Troy Lee to help Stewart do his own thing? We all know he can get Redbull money .

Just a thought. Not sure if it's been prodded. Not here to speculate anyone's opinion on what he should or shouldn't do...

Just trying to open a discussion
|
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
9/29/2016 1:57pm
I feel like the problem is the risk involved when backing a guy like James. His 2016 was forgettable to say the least, what would make Troy want to put his name on something that could reap 0 benefit?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/29/2016 1:59pm
I think Stewart would be able to get the funding and sponsors and do his own thing without any problem, I also think a Troy Lee deal of any kind would be beneficial to both. Stewart may not be a championship favorite but I believe he can still win a few races.
GD2
Fantasy
854th
9/29/2016 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2016 2:05pm
Troy Lee Designs is not associated with Seven (they parted ways in late 2015). So no, I don't think Troy will be a part of James' program next year.
GregDVT
9/29/2016 2:03pm
How would he help james? James isn't going to rep TLD gear (besides maybe braces and protection) since he has his own brand. I also doubt Troy's ties to ktm will have any significance because KTM already has Dungey, Musquin, and Herlings competing for the premier class championships. Not to say he doesn't want to help James, but there isn't much he can do, unless we want to see JS7 rip a 250sx-f during the nationals.

The Shop

twotwosix
9/29/2016 2:09pm
You have to ask yourself if Roger and Pit want to provide JS7 with a Factory KTM... It doesn't matter whose tent it sits under.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/29/2016 2:18pm
twotwosix wrote:
You have to ask yourself if Roger and Pit want to provide JS7 with a Factory KTM... It doesn't matter whose tent it sits under.
I don't see that happening at all, I don't think Roger D is impressed with Stewart or his program.Pinch
newmann
9/29/2016 2:58pm
Stewart seems to be real good at spending money. Lots of it. How did his whole JS7 Entertainment deal work out? How did his takeover of the Larry Brooks San Manuel Team work out? His websites are a mess and nowhere there to buy any official JS7 caps, t-shirts or autographed posters. No doubt he is THE most popular rider out there regardless if he even shows up at the gate but it won't be that way forever.

Point is, I think he needs someone doing everything for him allowing him to focus on the one thing he fu%#@ng kicks ass at. Considering he had all that at Suzuki and we see how that all turned out his opportunities in this sport aren't going to be what they once were. Flame on, I'll be rooting for Malcolm while James sorts things out. 450's coming up!
KTMShane699
9/29/2016 3:09pm
newmann wrote:
Stewart seems to be real good at spending money. Lots of it. How did his whole JS7 Entertainment deal work out? How did his takeover of...
Stewart seems to be real good at spending money. Lots of it. How did his whole JS7 Entertainment deal work out? How did his takeover of the Larry Brooks San Manuel Team work out? His websites are a mess and nowhere there to buy any official JS7 caps, t-shirts or autographed posters. No doubt he is THE most popular rider out there regardless if he even shows up at the gate but it won't be that way forever.

Point is, I think he needs someone doing everything for him allowing him to focus on the one thing he fu%#@ng kicks ass at. Considering he had all that at Suzuki and we see how that all turned out his opportunities in this sport aren't going to be what they once were. Flame on, I'll be rooting for Malcolm while James sorts things out. 450's coming up!
You're not allowed to say a rider that was once worth a big salary isn't any longer around here.

Once worth money...always worth money. Once a factory rider...always should be on factory equipment.
moto0852
9/29/2016 3:15pm
twotwosix wrote:
Yeah, no one needs to ask themselves that question. Roger has been pretty clear on this subject!!
davistld01
9/29/2016 3:20pm
MX Guy wrote:
I feel like the problem is the risk involved when backing a guy like James. His 2016 was forgettable to say the least, what would make...
I feel like the problem is the risk involved when backing a guy like James. His 2016 was forgettable to say the least, what would make Troy want to put his name on something that could reap 0 benefit?
Lots of people discount or forget the fact that NOBODY draws as much publicity as James Stewart...nobody. When he's racing, he creates excitement...and Troy Lee knows a thing or two about marketing. He knows that if James is on one of his bikes, there will be autograph lines, media interest and hype. Even if he doesn't do much, he'll still generate a buzz...and that can't be bad for business.

All that said...I doubt seriously that TLD would put James on a KTM. I imagine he has enough money tied up in his 250 effort now that he doesn't need the extra expense that JS7 would require.
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
9/29/2016 3:33pm
MX Guy wrote:
I feel like the problem is the risk involved when backing a guy like James. His 2016 was forgettable to say the least, what would make...
davistld01 wrote:
Lots of people discount or forget the fact that NOBODY draws as much publicity as James Stewart...nobody. When he's racing, he creates excitement...and Troy Lee knows...
Lots of people discount or forget the fact that NOBODY draws as much publicity as James Stewart...nobody. When he's racing, he creates excitement...and Troy Lee knows a thing or two about marketing. He knows that if James is on one of his bikes, there will be autograph lines, media interest and hype. Even if he doesn't do much, he'll still generate a buzz...and that can't be bad for business.

All that said...I doubt seriously that TLD would put James on a KTM. I imagine he has enough money tied up in his 250 effort now that he doesn't need the extra expense that JS7 would require.
Results first, then fan interaction. Does it really fuckin matter how many people are in line for JS7 to sign something if all he's going to do is pull off or yard sale the really expensive KTM he's been given? I mean think about it. Do you really see any legitimate reason for James Stewart to have a factory spot over Bogle, Wilson, even Weimer? I sure don't. Nothing against him personally. I'm really bummed because I am a (realistic) JS7 super fan. With that said, the JS7 era came and went long ago. Trying not to be bashful, but it seems like anything now is just him taking advantage of whoever's willing to pay him.......
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
9/29/2016 3:40pm
MX Guy wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
Lots of people discount or forget the fact that NOBODY draws as much publicity as James Stewart...nobody. When he's racing, he creates excitement...and Troy Lee knows...

He won't be on a tld KTM, that I can promise you.
bd
9/29/2016 3:47pm
If I were to offer a contract to Stew, it would have a fitness clause. I have never seen Stew out of shape like A1 2016. His focus on the prize is gone. His competition eats, sleeps and shits moto. If Stew shows up at A1 if fighting shape, look out. BIG RISK in STEW. He's the APPL in 2006.

Where is the REAL Stew!
bd
9/29/2016 3:48pm
MX Guy wrote:
davistld01 wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:
He won't be on a tld KTM, that I can promise you.
"The Man" is not a fan.
downard254
9/29/2016 3:52pm
I keep reading from some guys how much of a draw James is in the pits. I can't help but to think that since James doesn't have every team in the industry knocking his door down offering him a ride that, perhaps, just a crowd draw isn't what most teams want. Sure they want the crowd to show up at their tent, but I'm thinking they also want a rider who can get results ON the track too. Like mentioned in the Dean Wilson thread, James has an uphill battle to get back to where he is a viable addition to any team. The ball is in his court, so to speak. How he plays it out is up to him now. I'd love to see the old James going for race wins, but my gut says the ship has set sail on the high point of his career. Happens to the best of them, time stands still for no man.
Flatliner
9/29/2016 4:05pm
If being a draw at the autograph line is all that mattered pastrana would be out there signing.

Ktm and Yamaha are equally the last brands i could ever see James riding.

Who knows if he even has the fire to continue at this point.
dirtnapper
9/29/2016 4:06pm
MX Guy wrote:
davistld01 wrote:

MX Guy wrote:
Results first, then fan interaction. Does it really fuckin matter how many people are in line for JS7 to sign something if all he's going to...
Results first, then fan interaction. Does it really fuckin matter how many people are in line for JS7 to sign something if all he's going to do is pull off or yard sale the really expensive KTM he's been given? I mean think about it. Do you really see any legitimate reason for James Stewart to have a factory spot over Bogle, Wilson, even Weimer? I sure don't. Nothing against him personally. I'm really bummed because I am a (realistic) JS7 super fan. With that said, the JS7 era came and went long ago. Trying not to be bashful, but it seems like anything now is just him taking advantage of whoever's willing to pay him.......
This guy summed it up very well.

I'm not being disrespectful to Stew, but MXGuy is right.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/29/2016 4:41pm
Actually, MX guy is dead wrong here. No offense. It absolutely matters that Stewart has the longest lines for autographs (if that's true - I don't think it is.)

Why do sponsors pay money? Only because having their name associated with a popular rider brings them sales and profit, PERIOD. It doesn't matter how fast the guy is, whether he'll ever win again, what color his bike is, what color his skin is, whether he puts his pants on left leg first or right leg first; what matters is that people who spend dollars see value in your products because of the association with that rider.
If everybody loves James Stewart, he'll sell product. It doesn't matter if he even lines up for the races ever again, as long as people love him and continue to think he is worthy of their respect and admiration.

Winners tend to garner more fans, which is why you guys are equating wins to worth. In reality, it is fan draw that equals worth.
winman
Fantasy
3924th
9/29/2016 5:17pm
James needs to start JS7 Kawasaki. And get back to riding! Poor guy has run unstable crap for years now. Swallow your pride and with your speed stability is the answer. JS wake up. How many races have you won on kawasaki? You only have a couple years left. Call Bruce.
KID858
9/29/2016 6:10pm
MX Guy wrote:
Results first, then fan interaction. Does it really fuckin matter how many people are in line for JS7 to sign something if all he's going to...
Yep. I agree. He needs to prove that he's over this bs.
FARANG
9/29/2016 6:20pm
I don't think having a long line for autographs counts for much, there's not much TV coverage of that stuff - they want their bike/team in the top 5 being successful and being talked about during the race.

Even if it was all about autograph lines, how many races did Stewart attend last year (SX and MX combined) to interact with the fans? He was out injured most of the season, and he's not the type to hang around the races supporting and promoting the team if he's not racing. It's more a case of disappearing back to the compound.

Stewart has burnt a lot of bridges and is WAY past his prime, tough to see where he'll go from here.
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
10/7/2016 10:35am
Falcon wrote:
Actually, MX guy is dead wrong here. No offense. It absolutely matters that Stewart has the longest lines for autographs (if that's true - I don't...
Actually, MX guy is dead wrong here. No offense. It absolutely matters that Stewart has the longest lines for autographs (if that's true - I don't think it is.)

Why do sponsors pay money? Only because having their name associated with a popular rider brings them sales and profit, PERIOD. It doesn't matter how fast the guy is, whether he'll ever win again, what color his bike is, what color his skin is, whether he puts his pants on left leg first or right leg first; what matters is that people who spend dollars see value in your products because of the association with that rider.
If everybody loves James Stewart, he'll sell product. It doesn't matter if he even lines up for the races ever again, as long as people love him and continue to think he is worthy of their respect and admiration.

Winners tend to garner more fans, which is why you guys are equating wins to worth. In reality, it is fan draw that equals worth.
From a marketing standpoint I'm sure you're right, there are certain people who will buy a product because of who the company producing it endorses. From a team standpoint, it's not all that important to have an autograph line for a racer who's barely going to show up to races.
10/7/2016 11:10am
Fan lines do not pay bills, running upfront is, Look at it this way how many graphic sets would be sold of JS7 in comparison with Kenny's graphic kit both ride Suzuki's both ride Factory equipment , there is a reason why Yoshimura made a special Limited edition exhaust from Roczen and not of JS7.

its simple actually

Is there anyone who could name out of there head 5 of the team sponsors from JS7
Is there anyone who could name out of there head 5 of the team sponsors from Kenny

there will be a lot more people be able to name up 5 from Kenny instead of JS7

TommyLee93
10/7/2016 12:48pm
winman wrote:
James needs to start JS7 Kawasaki. And get back to riding! Poor guy has run unstable crap for years now. Swallow your pride and with your...
James needs to start JS7 Kawasaki. And get back to riding! Poor guy has run unstable crap for years now. Swallow your pride and with your speed stability is the answer. JS wake up. How many races have you won on kawasaki? You only have a couple years left. Call Bruce.
Are you serious?
Bineano
10/7/2016 3:09pm
Falcon wrote:
Actually, MX guy is dead wrong here. No offense. It absolutely matters that Stewart has the longest lines for autographs (if that's true - I don't...

If Stew wins this upcoming year, the line up at his semi will be remain long.
But another year like last year, and it will be a very short lineup I'm afraid.
He can only coast on his reputation for so long and last year he lost a LOT of popularity momentum unfortunately...
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
10/7/2016 5:04pm
If the lines were so important he would have been signing at all the races riding or not.
Sadly JS7 day has passed,he may line up and even win a race or two, but titles are in the rear view mirror.
DonM
10/7/2016 5:23pm
Falcon wrote:

So we should be paying $75-$150 to get in the pits and bring a can of Monster to watch the races?
gt80rider
10/7/2016 6:47pm
Falcon wrote:

You cant advertise second place, ever... Winning is hands down the number 1 factor in cutting a racer a check...

That said... If you can't have the fastest guy, or you just want to cover second base, you pay a guy on his popularity... Hence the reason guys like emig and mc are still getting paid to ride bike xyz..

The problem is... Stew is no longer the top tier winning guy... He now falls into the ranks of emig/mc, a guy getting a check for his fan base...

Btw... The checks aren't Nearly as large for fan base riders.... k roc can demand millions a year because he can win... Stew, not so much, or perhaps even performance based only, even though he is much more of a fan favorite...
kkawboy14
10/7/2016 6:47pm
MX Guy wrote:
davistld01 wrote:

The problem is he hasn't raced in 3 years
rrjr
10/7/2016 11:27pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2016 11:29pm
MX Guy wrote:
No need to be bashful..

Post a reply to: Js7 and Troy Lee

The Latest