Joined the Suzuki RM Bandwagon !!!

Edited Date/Time 2/1/2016 3:42am
I rode Honda's from the age of 3 until 17, then Yamaha's from 17 until 33 !
I've seen such rave reviews about the Suzuki RM 250 on Vital, I had to buy one !
2002, Let me know what you think.
Suspension and Jetting suggestions appreciated !

|
xr70
1/31/2016 5:10pm
Very nice , enjoy the smoke!
WSR
1/31/2016 5:11pm
Great bike, you'll love it. It won't turn as well as most Suzuki's through history though. There were a couple of years there when they just won't carve a turn great. I had an'03 and spent a small fortune trying to make it turn with little success. RC arrived at Suzuki and corrected the problem. 2001-2004 were the only years that Suzuki's weren't the best handling bikes out there.
Steadman
1/31/2016 5:25pm
Congratulations very nice!! I too crave a Suzuki RM, just not in the budget at the moment. First thing I would do would be to ditch that rear sprocket. A lot of controversy surrounding that style sprocket breaking hubs (sprockets that do not have a full 360 degree contact purchase to the hub)

Grip it and rip it! Enjoy!
1/31/2016 5:28pm
Steadman wrote:
Congratulations very nice!! I too crave a Suzuki RM, just not in the budget at the moment. First thing I would do would be to ditch...
Congratulations very nice!! I too crave a Suzuki RM, just not in the budget at the moment. First thing I would do would be to ditch that rear sprocket. A lot of controversy surrounding that style sprocket breaking hubs (sprockets that do not have a full 360 degree contact purchase to the hub)

Grip it and rip it! Enjoy!
It's in the budget, I only gave $1,500 and a box of shotgun shells ! LOL
I've used Vortex sprockets for years with no problems

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
1/31/2016 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 5:33pm
Nice bike! They went to the traditional rising rate linkage set up later in the RM line, so it will feel different but still good.
Steadman
1/31/2016 5:37pm
Right on, that was a good buy (what's the story with the shotgun shells?? lol) It looks relatively fresh for the money. I've never run Vortex personally, I've read a lot about it…but then again I should know better to believe everything read online haha
1/31/2016 5:43pm
Steadman wrote:
Right on, that was a good buy (what's the story with the shotgun shells?? lol) It looks relatively fresh for the money. I've never run Vortex...
Right on, that was a good buy (what's the story with the shotgun shells?? lol) It looks relatively fresh for the money. I've never run Vortex personally, I've read a lot about it…but then again I should know better to believe everything read online haha
It's in really good shape, 1 owner 40 something man. He thinks there is less than 30hrs on it. When I was trying to get him to lower the price, He asked if I had any guns to trade, I told him I'm a policeman, I will sell about anything but not my GUNS ! We text back and forth for a little while, seemed like a cool dude, So i just said help a poor ol policeman out ! He replied I'll take $ 1,500 and a box of shells. So I bought a $ 5.99 box of squirrel load at Wal Mart on the way to pick it up ! LOL
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
1/31/2016 7:18pm
Congratulations! Welcome to the club.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/31/2016 7:33pm
I see you've disconnected the gas cap vent hose after watching last night's race. Good call. Don't want vapor lock to cost you a win.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/31/2016 7:35pm
WSR wrote:
Great bike, you'll love it. It won't turn as well as most Suzuki's through history though. There were a couple of years there when they just...
Great bike, you'll love it. It won't turn as well as most Suzuki's through history though. There were a couple of years there when they just won't carve a turn great. I had an'03 and spent a small fortune trying to make it turn with little success. RC arrived at Suzuki and corrected the problem. 2001-2004 were the only years that Suzuki's weren't the best handling bikes out there.
I dunno about that, my 03 RM turned amazing!
Cancerman
1/31/2016 7:49pm
Congrats. The RM's have almost always turned well, but a bit nervous at speed. Currently I have 2. A 125 and a 500AF. I had a 03 RM250 for awhile. It was fine. It has KYB "Bumper" forks and KYB shock. That is the real weakness, if you will. If the suspension is stock, it's soft for anyone over 150 lbs. If you ride fast, or race, you might look for some Showa fork and shock on ebay. You can make it handle way better with the showa stuff. If you just playride, just set it up with your weight springs and lower the oil level a little to get rid of any mid stroke harshness in the forks. I added a PC pipe and a 8 oz flywheel weight. it really helps broaden the power. If I was going to add another bike to my fleet, other than a vintage bike, it would be an 04 or later RM250. I really dig them. Just my experience. Have fun, be safe out there!
Flip109
1/31/2016 8:04pm
Local shop I was sponsored by back then gave me a 03 RM250 to race. I gave it back after a few weeks I hated it so bad. Lol that bike sucked! Handled like shit.
Cancerman
1/31/2016 8:48pm
Flip109 wrote:
Local shop I was sponsored by back then gave me a 03 RM250 to race. I gave it back after a few weeks I hated it...
Local shop I was sponsored by back then gave me a 03 RM250 to race. I gave it back after a few weeks I hated it so bad. Lol that bike sucked! Handled like shit.
It's all in the setup. The KYB stuff, to me, I just could not get what I was after, and at the same time, I was riding the RM125 which had Showa on it. I rebuilt the forks myself, but I sent the shock to Factory Connection. They confirmed that they could do so much more with the showas over the KYBs. It was night and day difference. I sold the 250 and bought a 450 4T. Big mistake, I could not get rid of it fast enough. But the 250 was long gone. I bought a CR500, road it a bit, but after having the better ergos of the RM's, and such, I found a 07 RMZ250 roller, and wah lah, RM500! See the avitar photos. I still love my Suzukis. The only reason to change the KYBs are if you are trying to get the most out of it. For playing around, the KYBs were fine. Once you ride a good suspension, set up right, it spoils you for ever.
Flip109
1/31/2016 9:20pm
Flip109 wrote:
Local shop I was sponsored by back then gave me a 03 RM250 to race. I gave it back after a few weeks I hated it...
Cancerman wrote:
It's all in the setup. The KYB stuff, to me, I just could not get what I was after, and at the same time, I was...
It's all in the setup. The KYB stuff, to me, I just could not get what I was after, and at the same time, I was riding the RM125 which had Showa on it. I rebuilt the forks myself, but I sent the shock to Factory Connection. They confirmed that they could do so much more with the showas over the KYBs. It was night and day difference. I sold the 250 and bought a 450 4T. Big mistake, I could not get rid of it fast enough. But the 250 was long gone. I bought a CR500, road it a bit, but after having the better ergos of the RM's, and such, I found a 07 RMZ250 roller, and wah lah, RM500! See the avitar photos. I still love my Suzukis. The only reason to change the KYBs are if you are trying to get the most out of it. For playing around, the KYBs were fine. Once you ride a good suspension, set up right, it spoils you for ever.
I just could never get the rear end to settle down on it. I'm not even picky about bike set up, but that thing was just so sketchy. Never felt comfortable at speed through the rough stuff.
2/1/2016 3:21am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2016 3:21am
FGR01 wrote:
I see you've disconnected the gas cap vent hose after watching last night's race. Good call. Don't want vapor lock to cost you a win.
Exactly my thinking, I wish, The old hose isn't very pliable anymore and won't stay on ! LOL
wreckitrandy
2/1/2016 3:42am
WSR wrote:
Great bike, you'll love it. It won't turn as well as most Suzuki's through history though. There were a couple of years there when they just...
seth505 wrote:
I dunno about that, my 03 RM turned amazing!
Mine did as well.

Post a reply to: Joined the Suzuki RM Bandwagon !!!

The Latest