John Penton Gncc cancelled ....

wide open wally
Fantasy
3834th
Bummer. Last weekend was insane. I'd say they were busy fixing the property and it ran into this week not leaving them enough time to prep. People are saying it was cancelled because Kailub had a bad race last weekend in the mud and he can't ride the mud. These conspiracies theories are only getting better lol.
|
ktm212
5/25/2017 2:03pm
The John Penton is their biggest or 2nd biggest race every year attendance wise. The severe weather would for sure put a dampener on attendance and cash flow for these guys. Not to mention if they got their usual 1000+ riders the deterioration of the trail would be insane between UTV, ATV, Kids, AM bikes, and PM bikes; its bad enough as it is. The GNCC pros are all mad because their schedules change, big deal, they get paid to ride dirtbikes. Racing is a business and from a business standpoint destroying your customers equipment and morale 2 weeks in a row is only going to hurt you. The pro guys throw their bikes on a stand after the race and go home, the average consumer gets drug out of the field by a dozer, treks 12 hours home, and replaces every part on their bike in their garage and cant go racing the next week.
I'm all about racing in the conditions you're given but if a week prior its gonna be a shit storm, make the call and move on. The National Enduro series F'd up at the Louisiana round and the race was super unprofessional and cut to a 1/4 of what it originally was supposed to be, it too should have been postponed.
Jmicmoto13
5/25/2017 2:13pm
ktm212 wrote:
The John Penton is their biggest or 2nd biggest race every year attendance wise. The severe weather would for sure put a dampener on attendance and...
The John Penton is their biggest or 2nd biggest race every year attendance wise. The severe weather would for sure put a dampener on attendance and cash flow for these guys. Not to mention if they got their usual 1000+ riders the deterioration of the trail would be insane between UTV, ATV, Kids, AM bikes, and PM bikes; its bad enough as it is. The GNCC pros are all mad because their schedules change, big deal, they get paid to ride dirtbikes. Racing is a business and from a business standpoint destroying your customers equipment and morale 2 weeks in a row is only going to hurt you. The pro guys throw their bikes on a stand after the race and go home, the average consumer gets drug out of the field by a dozer, treks 12 hours home, and replaces every part on their bike in their garage and cant go racing the next week.
I'm all about racing in the conditions you're given but if a week prior its gonna be a shit storm, make the call and move on. The National Enduro series F'd up at the Louisiana round and the race was super unprofessional and cut to a 1/4 of what it originally was supposed to be, it too should have been postponed.
Well put, I agree.
agn5009
5/25/2017 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 2:20pm
ktm212 wrote:
The John Penton is their biggest or 2nd biggest race every year attendance wise. The severe weather would for sure put a dampener on attendance and...
I agree with most of this.
montesagold
5/25/2017 4:21pm
ktm212 wrote:
Not true, Unadilla, Ironman and Steelecreek blow the Penton crowd out of the water. As far as pro riders bitching? July is considered off season and many have international flights booked back home and other race plans based on GNCCs schedule. The race was rescheduled on top of another AMA National Championship Series... Full Gas Sprint Enduro, which several of the pro guys follow as well.
As far as amateurs are concerned they have 4 drops to be used any time they wish. You reference them as "customers", we'll I can give you a list of the pitiful examples of "customer" service I've encountered since 1996. Don't get me wrong, most of the staff are as good as they come but I have never once witnessed the management of the series give 2 shits about its customers or their "pro" riders. They cant pass this off as any graciousness with "us" in mind. The last year I raced the series in its entirety was 2009 and half of the races that year were terribly muddy with no talk of cancellation. I can see at a new property they have to be sensitive to the landowners but the John Penton? It has good roads in there and we've all raced that track a dozen times in the mud, that place handles water better than most(even though it is as slick as owl shit). The Coombs have a hand in that property if not maybe out right own it completely. They may have to take a hit on their attendance but its racing, happens to every series due to weather. They still had 450+ in the adult race last week plus youth and ATV, you do the math. Not a problem with them loosing money, its a problem with them not making enough.
As far as the rumors around Kailub are concerned... I know a lot of that may be blew out of proportion but with family ties/KTM influence on the series you got to admit that a lot of things shake out for his benefit. It may not be as it is perceived but you shouldn't be surprised if these type of rumors get thrown around. He has got smoked at the last few mud events and Thad is on a roll winning his last 3 races in rainy conditions.
People associate the series with he toughest racing in the world, we take pride in racing in every condition. I hate cleaning up the mess as much as anyone but its not roadracing. The GNCC series have the biggest turnouts year after year because of the great people, competition and the bragging rights not for the respect of the promoters.

The Shop

wide open wally
Fantasy
3834th
5/25/2017 4:42pm
Penton is one of the bigger ones. They had around 1450 entries last year. Dilla and ironman were close with around 2200 entires. Penton is huge compared to most, the couple big ones are just insane numbers lol. Either way it's a bummer. Penton is one of the toughest when it's a bad mudder. It does have one of the worst mudders in series history. Last weeks turnout is not a good way to stay in business. I'd say X out was one and done after that
agn5009
5/25/2017 5:17pm
ktm212 wrote:
Not true, Unadilla, Ironman and Steelecreek blow the Penton crowd out of the water. As far as pro riders bitching? July is considered off season and...
Not true, Unadilla, Ironman and Steelecreek blow the Penton crowd out of the water. As far as pro riders bitching? July is considered off season and many have international flights booked back home and other race plans based on GNCCs schedule. The race was rescheduled on top of another AMA National Championship Series... Full Gas Sprint Enduro, which several of the pro guys follow as well.
As far as amateurs are concerned they have 4 drops to be used any time they wish. You reference them as "customers", we'll I can give you a list of the pitiful examples of "customer" service I've encountered since 1996. Don't get me wrong, most of the staff are as good as they come but I have never once witnessed the management of the series give 2 shits about its customers or their "pro" riders. They cant pass this off as any graciousness with "us" in mind. The last year I raced the series in its entirety was 2009 and half of the races that year were terribly muddy with no talk of cancellation. I can see at a new property they have to be sensitive to the landowners but the John Penton? It has good roads in there and we've all raced that track a dozen times in the mud, that place handles water better than most(even though it is as slick as owl shit). The Coombs have a hand in that property if not maybe out right own it completely. They may have to take a hit on their attendance but its racing, happens to every series due to weather. They still had 450+ in the adult race last week plus youth and ATV, you do the math. Not a problem with them loosing money, its a problem with them not making enough.
As far as the rumors around Kailub are concerned... I know a lot of that may be blew out of proportion but with family ties/KTM influence on the series you got to admit that a lot of things shake out for his benefit. It may not be as it is perceived but you shouldn't be surprised if these type of rumors get thrown around. He has got smoked at the last few mud events and Thad is on a roll winning his last 3 races in rainy conditions.
People associate the series with he toughest racing in the world, we take pride in racing in every condition. I hate cleaning up the mess as much as anyone but its not roadracing. The GNCC series have the biggest turnouts year after year because of the great people, competition and the bragging rights not for the respect of the promoters.
You think Kaliub is worried about a mud race? He's by far the best in the series. He may not be the best in the mud but he will win the championship, period.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
5/25/2017 6:20pm
agn5009 wrote:
You think Kaliub is worried about a mud race? He's by far the best in the series. He may not be the best in the mud...
You think Kaliub is worried about a mud race? He's by far the best in the series. He may not be the best in the mud but he will win the championship, period.
I don't entirely agree with that...Duvall has been pushing him pretty hard lately....
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
5/25/2017 7:32pm
agn5009 wrote:
You think Kaliub is worried about a mud race? He's by far the best in the series. He may not be the best in the mud...
THERE IS NO CROWN!
TeamGreen
5/25/2017 7:33pm
ktm212 wrote:
Damn.

Logical.

Nice!
agn5009
5/25/2017 7:39pm
agn5009 wrote:
I don't entirely agree with that...Duvall has been pushing him pretty hard lately....
How many times has Duvall beaten him? I would be willing to bet less than 5% of the time. That's pretty dominant to me. Duvall is awesome, but he's got nothing compared to Kaliub. And that includes championships. What you're doing is like comparing Dungeys career to Musquins. Could Musquin match Dungeys pace every now and then? Sure. But don't act like the two were equal or even close.
montesagold
5/25/2017 8:30pm
agn5009 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
How many times has Duvall beaten him? I would be willing to bet less than 5% of the time. That's pretty dominant to me. Duvall is...
How many times has Duvall beaten him? I would be willing to bet less than 5% of the time. That's pretty dominant to me. Duvall is awesome, but he's got nothing compared to Kaliub. And that includes championships. What you're doing is like comparing Dungeys career to Musquins. Could Musquin match Dungeys pace every now and then? Sure. But don't act like the two were equal or even close.
Didn't say he was worried, matter of fact I did say that these type of conspiracy theories are most likely blown out of proportion. Its funny that out of all that I said, you only picked out the one point. I believe the point of the post as well as 90% of my comment was pertaining to the cancellation and the true motives behind the situation, everyone on here gets sidetracked so easily.
agn5009
5/26/2017 12:47pm
agn5009 wrote:
How many times has Duvall beaten him? I would be willing to bet less than 5% of the time. That's pretty dominant to me. Duvall is...
Didn't say he was worried, matter of fact I did say that these type of conspiracy theories are most likely blown out of proportion. Its funny...
Didn't say he was worried, matter of fact I did say that these type of conspiracy theories are most likely blown out of proportion. Its funny that out of all that I said, you only picked out the one point. I believe the point of the post as well as 90% of my comment was pertaining to the cancellation and the true motives behind the situation, everyone on here gets sidetracked so easily.
Because I agree with mainly everything else you said. Why would I respond to any of the rest of stuff if I agree? I just don't get why you say things shake out for Kaliubs benefit. Kaliub wins a ton because he's the best in the series. He's won 4 or 5 (can't remember off hand) championships. He didn't win those because things shake out for his benefit. He wins because he's better.
wide open wally
Fantasy
3834th
5/29/2017 10:23am
Well it would have been a epic weekend for racing. Weather was perfect, they had just the right amount of rain coming into the race weekend. Usually it's a mudders or super dusty and every now and then you will see perfect conditions, and one was this weekend. They missed out on possibly one of the bigger turnouts they've had. Morning race would have been a little slick but afternoon would have been prime. Hope they learned their lesson
5/29/2017 10:44am
I like when they cancel them. That way I can go on Jason Uk Thomas instagram and watch him implode!.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
5/29/2017 4:31pm
speaking of slick mud etc. whats the hot set up for that? tire,tube etc.
fins227
5/29/2017 4:55pm
speaking of slick mud etc. whats the hot set up for that? tire,tube etc.
I think being positive is the best setup for racing in the mud. Embrace the suck.

Post a reply to: John Penton Gncc cancelled ....

The Latest