Jim O'Neal Crashes At Baja 1000 (O'Neal Founder)

GD2
Fantasy
1081st
Edited Date/Time 11/27/2015 6:16pm
Not sure if this has been posted, but here it is.

Simi Valley, CA – The world famous Baja 1000 took place this past weekend starting in Ensenada, Mexico along a course layout rougher than any in recent memory.

The class 30 (300X team) consisting of Jim O’Neal, Chuck Dempsey, Kevin Murphy, Mark Winkleman Jason Trueby and Aaron Tuck entered the event seeking to win the 30 SCORE Pro Championship!

Unfortunately, at 10:00 PM a horrific crash took place at about the 720 mile mark just past Nuevo Junction. Jim O’Neal ran into what appeared to be a bobby trap consisting of 20’ of barbwire that was across the race course. Suffering a high speed crash the barb wire locked up the rear wheel and tangled into the bike. Jim suffered severe injury and was stuck under the bike for some fifteen minutes.

As Jim was trying to get free from the bike and booby trap damage, the task of prying away the barbwire from the sprocket and rear wheel proved nearly impossible due to injury and the amount of wire tangled into the bike. Fortunately with the kindness and help of the 81X team (Joseph Jepsen Team) and especially the 111X team (Chad Thornton team) Jim was able to untangle the bike and get going.

Jim continued forward at a speed of 7 mph due to injuries consisting of large puncture of his left leg, both knees having severe trauma, broken vertebrae and a right arm and right hand injury making throttle control nearly impossible. During the short distance while trying to get the bike to the next rider, Jim found himself crashing an additional 3 times.

Finally around mile 743 Jim was able to hand the bike to team member Chuck Dempsey. Chuck and crew were able to repair damaged parts, switched out the bikes lights and forge forward to the last section handing the bike over to team rider Jason Trubey.

The team finished a miraculous first in class 30 and won the 30 SCORE Pro Championship!

Jim was transported to SCRIPPS over the border in San Diego where he was then transferred to UCSD trauma center.

Jim O’Neal after competing in more than 105 Baja races was proud of the team and of course, the pro championship title. “All in all I feel pretty lucky and it looks like our helmet did its job. I suffered no head trauma and am glad just to be up and moving around a bit.”

“I want to thank Mark Winkleman, Monkey Business and the additional team sponsors as well as the entire team for pulling it all together and gaining the victory! Further, I want to thank 81X team and the 111X team. The 111X team rider took a long time in helping me free the bike and get going and I am truly grateful for the kindness!”

Jim is now recovering and expects to fully recover from all injuries in due time.

O’NEAL, established in 1970, produces superior quality motorcycle protective apparel, helmets and accessories and distributes them worldwide. Check out www.oneal.com for product details.

http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/ONeal-Founder-Jim-ONeal-suffe…
|
defeatist45
11/25/2015 9:49pm
Scary stuff. Lots of craziness in Baja, jeez. Glad he's OK
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
11/25/2015 9:54pm
I won't mention some other rider that stubs his toe and has to get carried off the track .
moscrop940
11/25/2015 9:56pm
Everyone says I'm paranoid for saying I'll never cross the border...
moto455va
11/25/2015 10:37pm
thats awesome that hes okay, but seriously wtf goes on during those races. Booby traps?

The Shop

marx41
Fantasy
1387th
11/26/2015 12:26am
OR Racer46 wrote:
I won't mention some other rider that stubs his toe and has to get carried off the track .
Low effort. 2/10 would not read again.
Beast666
11/26/2015 12:33am
Get well Jim. If anyone has ever met Jim in person would know that he was very focused and success driven. I can personally say that his tenacity passed on to myself when i was sponsored by O'Neal in the 80's
Zracer
11/26/2015 4:37am
Get well Jim. Good job on the win, Any of you Yahoos want to post in this thread how well they were treated in Baja, or how safe riding there is?
1stSSPZ
11/26/2015 5:11am
moscrop940 wrote:
Everyone says I'm paranoid for saying I'll never cross the border...
No shit!
sandman768
11/26/2015 5:24am
Not only is Oneal gear tough as nails, appears the founder is also! Walk proud! Baja seems crazy dangerous to me! Did a baja ride with a group of friends back in 2000 with a guy named Nick, I forget his company, but he did a real good job, supplied bikes, gas, support vehicle etc. Took us on parts of the course used for baja race, saw lots of sites where people had died on the course, he told us about the booby traps also. I remember thinking: no way would I race that race! Mexico was sketchy back then, is it any better now?
Excaliburbmx
11/26/2015 6:58am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2015 8:20am
Is he still the owner of the company? I really like my oneal stuff and I bought several of the throw back jerseys.
Paul333
11/26/2015 8:52am
Congratulations. Thats an awesome win for such an industry leader.
NHtoWA421
11/26/2015 9:53am
Now we all know why oneal gear fits a bit loose between the legs. Jim's "gumption" simply cannot be contained in normal racewear.

Very glad it wasnt worse.
mark_swart
11/26/2015 9:59am
I'm proud to be an O'Neal rider, but man that kicks things up a notch! Get well soon Jim!
HenryA
11/26/2015 10:48am
The people who sets this kind of shit up must be totally messed up in their heads.
Coyote
11/26/2015 11:20am
HenryA wrote:
The people who sets this kind of shit up must be totally messed up in their heads.
Yea Henry, Mexico's not the only place w/screwed up people, look at Paris!! I, like Jim was one of the lucky ones to be able to walk away from a trap...Mexicos got some great riding and the 1000's a pretty unique event albeit a little on the sketchy side from time to time.
Underdog999
11/26/2015 11:27am
NHtoWA421 wrote:
Now we all know why oneal gear fits a bit loose between the legs. Jim's "gumption" simply cannot be contained in normal racewear. Very glad it...
Now we all know why oneal gear fits a bit loose between the legs. Jim's "gumption" simply cannot be contained in normal racewear.

Very glad it wasnt worse.
^^^^ x1000
Rich Piano
11/26/2015 11:42am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2015 11:45am
GD2 wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted, but here it is. Simi Valley, CA – The world famous Baja 1000 took place this past weekend starting...
Not sure if this has been posted, but here it is.

Simi Valley, CA – The world famous Baja 1000 took place this past weekend starting in Ensenada, Mexico along a course layout rougher than any in recent memory.

The class 30 (300X team) consisting of Jim O’Neal, Chuck Dempsey, Kevin Murphy, Mark Winkleman Jason Trueby and Aaron Tuck entered the event seeking to win the 30 SCORE Pro Championship!

Unfortunately, at 10:00 PM a horrific crash took place at about the 720 mile mark just past Nuevo Junction. Jim O’Neal ran into what appeared to be a bobby trap consisting of 20’ of barbwire that was across the race course. Suffering a high speed crash the barb wire locked up the rear wheel and tangled into the bike. Jim suffered severe injury and was stuck under the bike for some fifteen minutes.

As Jim was trying to get free from the bike and booby trap damage, the task of prying away the barbwire from the sprocket and rear wheel proved nearly impossible due to injury and the amount of wire tangled into the bike. Fortunately with the kindness and help of the 81X team (Joseph Jepsen Team) and especially the 111X team (Chad Thornton team) Jim was able to untangle the bike and get going.

Jim continued forward at a speed of 7 mph due to injuries consisting of large puncture of his left leg, both knees having severe trauma, broken vertebrae and a right arm and right hand injury making throttle control nearly impossible. During the short distance while trying to get the bike to the next rider, Jim found himself crashing an additional 3 times.

Finally around mile 743 Jim was able to hand the bike to team member Chuck Dempsey. Chuck and crew were able to repair damaged parts, switched out the bikes lights and forge forward to the last section handing the bike over to team rider Jason Trubey.

The team finished a miraculous first in class 30 and won the 30 SCORE Pro Championship!

Jim was transported to SCRIPPS over the border in San Diego where he was then transferred to UCSD trauma center.

Jim O’Neal after competing in more than 105 Baja races was proud of the team and of course, the pro championship title. “All in all I feel pretty lucky and it looks like our helmet did its job. I suffered no head trauma and am glad just to be up and moving around a bit.”

“I want to thank Mark Winkleman, Monkey Business and the additional team sponsors as well as the entire team for pulling it all together and gaining the victory! Further, I want to thank 81X team and the 111X team. The 111X team rider took a long time in helping me free the bike and get going and I am truly grateful for the kindness!”

Jim is now recovering and expects to fully recover from all injuries in due time.

O’NEAL, established in 1970, produces superior quality motorcycle protective apparel, helmets and accessories and distributes them worldwide. Check out www.oneal.com for product details.

http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/ONeal-Founder-Jim-ONeal-suffe…
Damn this makes me sad. Im an Oneal guy since 1981.

Where are the other guys saying I was nuts and didnt know what I was talking about when it came to that dump? It's just too nuts anymore when the spectators want you dead.

I said coming home alive was a win....and the worst obstacles are man made.

I hope he heals up 100%. Such a shame. Talk about a tough dude.
Much respect, even more than before.

http://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/RV-racing-Baja,1294073?page…
Xeno
11/26/2015 12:31pm
I'm in Baja right now. I love it here.
Gonna ride my dirt bike on some sandy single track, then enjoy a turkey dinner!

Jim O'Neal is a tough Baja buzzard!
Xeno
11/27/2015 4:18pm

Post a reply to: Jim O'Neal Crashes At Baja 1000 (O'Neal Founder)

The Latest