Jessy Nelson's prosthetic thumb....

Edited Date/Time 12/29/2012 11:49am
Anyone ever seen a photo of it? How does he grip the bar? I know he is missing almost all of his thumb.
|
Motoxdoc
12/28/2012 12:40pm
125 wrote:
Anyone ever seen a photo of it? How does he grip the bar? I know he is missing almost all of his thumb.
No I haven't, but that is on my list of things to do at A1 (hope he's racing the west) or at any national that I see him at.....that is to ask him to see his thumb and to tell him what a bad ass mo fo he is to overcome THAT!
Schipwreck
12/28/2012 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2012 12:50pm
I used to live on his street so iv'e seen it in person and ridden with him.. The prosthetic he had made is like a glove that only covers his palm and wrist and has a thumb like deal attached to it. If you think about it you do most of your gripping with the other four fingers. And the thumb mainly just keeps your hand from blowing off the bars ,wich the prosthetic takes care of. he still has the first section of bone..the one thats 1.5-2'' long..so you get an idea of what he's workin with.
that being said he is still a badass for being a top ten outdoors guy in his rookie season without a thumb!!
Rupert X
12/28/2012 1:03pm
Schipwreck wrote:
I used to live on his street so iv'e seen it in person and ridden with him.. The prosthetic he had made is like a glove...
I used to live on his street so iv'e seen it in person and ridden with him.. The prosthetic he had made is like a glove that only covers his palm and wrist and has a thumb like deal attached to it. If you think about it you do most of your gripping with the other four fingers. And the thumb mainly just keeps your hand from blowing off the bars ,wich the prosthetic takes care of. he still has the first section of bone..the one thats 1.5-2'' long..so you get an idea of what he's workin with.
that being said he is still a badass for being a top ten outdoors guy in his rookie season without a thumb!!

The Shop

7GP
12/28/2012 1:14pm
125 wrote:
Kind of a rundown on it at 2:11...

TeamGreen
12/28/2012 1:15pm
Raced w/ the kid at a Mammoth "fun-race" a coupl'a yrs back & he was an impressive young man. He & his folks were jus' nice & well rounded people: in other words...an unusually nice & normal kid! Seems he's had to go to school thru out the years and...get this...Was "Forced" to lead a fairly normal life!

Anyways, we had our race WRAPPED UP by about a lap 'til our Chi-Com inner-tube gave out! DOH!

The Thumb-Thing wasn't known to me 'til, I think, someone pointed it out at LL's the following yr.

He's on my '13 Favorites List!
Lone Wolf
12/28/2012 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2013 12:38pm
Is it true that his thumb was cut of by the back sprocket/chain? That is quite frightening, really.

The guy is a badass, for sure.
Schipwreck
12/29/2012 10:56am
Lone Wolf wrote:
Is it true that his thumb was cut of by the back sprocket/chain? That is quite frightening, really.

yep
mooremoto
12/29/2012 11:49am
Lone Wolf wrote:

THANK YOU guys.. kinda taboo

But,

Exact thing happened to me.

Back in 2005 @ a LL's qualifier in Attica, IN I was landed on and I got my right thumb completely torn, shredded and crushed into bone flecks and shards. I was wearing Thor winter core gloves that literally saved my hand. Everything was severed, crushed, and broken; except for the main artery. I had two re-constructive surgeries, to make a total of three right thumbs in all. Since I was wearing those gloves,it actually kept the mess inside of them. I still have the gloves, pics to follow.

I've broken four wrist's, two collarbones, fingers, and ribs, and had a hip reconstruction. But absolutely nothing has compared to the hand experience. I literally don't remember what happened, all i remember is the ambulance ride for a few minutes and the doctors telling me they would use MY BIG TOE if they could not save my thumb. The initial surgery was somewhat successful with using the remaining clean bone from my hand. They put the clean bone together and they literally mash what they call the clean parts into "bone paste". They used the bone paste, twelve titanium screws, two Ti rods, and two Ti door hinge like pieces that make up my joints in my thumb.

The first surgery didn't take because of bad blood flow. Three months after said original surgery, I went to the orthopedist and had re-constructive surgery. This time they cut a nice big chunk of bone from my right hip to use for my thumb. Fresh bone graft with good blood flow=success. I was in an elbow length cast for over a year, but is well worth it to be able to tie my own shoes or pick a quarter that i drop on the ground back up. Also, i'm right handed so it was quite the experience my first year of college. Learned to write a little with my left but they eventually gave me a scribe. To this day, no one can tell that it's a "fake" thumb unless i tell them and show it to them. Which is truly awesome as far as medicine goes!

BOTTOM LINE-
Ever since i heard of Jessy's deal, I've wanted to meet and ask him what alternatives they gave him. I still ride and i always will Lord willing, but i have to wrap my thumb with gauze, sock material, and generally i can't hang on for all that long. A moto is REALLY pushing it. I actually end up placing the thumb on top of the throttle and only using my four fingers on my throttle hand to hold on. I went to hi-point, steel city, and reddddd budddd this year but I didn't feel the need to buy a pit pass for an extra what, $20 DC?!?!?! But i guess I really want to ask him whether he has some sort of prosthetic he uses on the thumb or just the four fingers?

Post a reply to: Jessy Nelson's prosthetic thumb....

The Latest