Jerry Robin

jim lehey
9/16/2014 4:16pm
Maybe he will ride on another old bike and win some race for a big trophy. That will be amazing!!!
KMC440
9/16/2014 4:23pm
Squid-mom wrote:
There are plenty of talented riders that are at home working so that they can save up money for their bikes. In a perfect world all...
There are plenty of talented riders that are at home working so that they can save up money for their bikes. In a perfect world all of our kids could live at training facilities and have new bikes delivered to them on a regular basis. Unfortunately, that is not the way the world works. My husband and kid would both love to be at the track right now, instead they are at work. If that is the route Jerry has to go, I am sure it won't hurt him too much, he is talented enough to overcome the setback.
Don't take this the wrong way but i wish for the opposite. Kids at home doing the 5pm to 8pm jobs four days a week and 6hrs on Saturday to go racing Sunday. The whole amateur scene is so politicized and money intensive today it's a wonder any kids survive it to become anything but home schooled moto-bots.
ehr400
9/16/2014 5:15pm
In the last 10-12 years "amateur" scene went from campers and enclosed trailers to $500k Prevosts and toter haulers. I know everything evolves but this is getting strange. I know money has bought guys rides for years but still talent would rise to the top, now only the talented kids with fairly well to do backgrounds are getting noticed, so the kids like Jerry or others give up because they can't travel half the year for amateur nationals or afford it. Then throw in the fact "B" class kids get more support then AMA pros or pro sport kids at LL's it even leaves you scratching your head.
rt987
9/16/2014 5:17pm
Me and my mom, $300 truck, and YZ250, all in my name. Parked next to a kid this weekend who had 2 fully built Hondas, nice trailer, everything. Felt good to beat him!

I truly believe that if you want it, and you know what it's going to take, you can do it. I worked 13 hours straight yesterday to make the race this weekend, so I can't agree with the "too expensive for a kid" excuse. There are certainly things I go without, but I love moto and will do pretty much anything I can to go racing.

I watched Jerry on his CR250, and really hope he gets some help. One of the most deserving kids I've ever seen from what I can tell!

The Shop

mxb2
9/16/2014 5:23pm
rt987 wrote:
Me and my mom, $300 truck, and YZ250, all in my name. Parked next to a kid this weekend who had 2 fully built Hondas, nice...
Me and my mom, $300 truck, and YZ250, all in my name. Parked next to a kid this weekend who had 2 fully built Hondas, nice trailer, everything. Felt good to beat him!

I truly believe that if you want it, and you know what it's going to take, you can do it. I worked 13 hours straight yesterday to make the race this weekend, so I can't agree with the "too expensive for a kid" excuse. There are certainly things I go without, but I love moto and will do pretty much anything I can to go racing.

I watched Jerry on his CR250, and really hope he gets some help. One of the most deserving kids I've ever seen from what I can tell!
You are a rider i would be proud to help out, not some dude laying on the couch waiting for free gear, bikes etc. Like you said. How bad do you wanna ride or race. Some dudes need to get a job and prove how bad they want it. rt987 email me if i can help you. Wgoske@yahoo.com thanks billy.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
9/16/2014 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2014 5:53pm
newmann wrote:
Yep, we'll sponsor a sandbagger but not a guy fighting it out in the fast class. Sounds ass backwards, but that's how the moto "industry" rolls.

Not necessarily directed at you Newmann, because I do agree with you on your point. But look at it from a sponsorship point of view... People...
Not necessarily directed at you Newmann, because I do agree with you on your point. But look at it from a sponsorship point of view...

People had to ask about how he did at Loretta's. People know who won the "B" classes. I use that term loosely since those guys aren't really "B" riders. Sponsorship is about return on investment. And nothing puts your bike out there like winning...

Morally, he did the right thing. But at the same time he also seems to have shot himself in the foot by doing so.

Tough break. Hope he gets a bike somewhere...even if he buys one.

Shane
Yes patially true, but do you see a two page thread within hours on the kid who won B class? No...

Marketing-wise Jerry is a great investment . ..
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
9/16/2014 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2014 6:05pm
He may have to try and finance one.
j100
9/16/2014 8:11pm
there is more to this story.

Jeff and Factory Connection bent over backwards for him.

I will leave it at that.
bsharkey
9/16/2014 8:27pm
newmann wrote:
Yep, we'll sponsor a sandbagger but not a guy fighting it out in the fast class. Sounds ass backwards, but that's how the moto "industry" rolls.

Not necessarily directed at you Newmann, because I do agree with you on your point. But look at it from a sponsorship point of view... People...
Not necessarily directed at you Newmann, because I do agree with you on your point. But look at it from a sponsorship point of view...

People had to ask about how he did at Loretta's. People know who won the "B" classes. I use that term loosely since those guys aren't really "B" riders. Sponsorship is about return on investment. And nothing puts your bike out there like winning...

Morally, he did the right thing. But at the same time he also seems to have shot himself in the foot by doing so.

Shane
Brad460 wrote:
Yes patially true, but do you see a two page thread within hours on the kid who won B class? No... Marketing-wise Jerry is a great...
Yes patially true, but do you see a two page thread within hours on the kid who won B class? No...

that's because the kid who won family is fucking loaded. they live not far from us but that's another loaded story, ive never met jerry but I bet hes a nice guy not some stuck up little prick
Squid-mom
9/16/2014 8:29pm
Squid-mom wrote:
There are plenty of talented riders that are at home working so that they can save up money for their bikes. In a perfect world all...
There are plenty of talented riders that are at home working so that they can save up money for their bikes. In a perfect world all of our kids could live at training facilities and have new bikes delivered to them on a regular basis. Unfortunately, that is not the way the world works. My husband and kid would both love to be at the track right now, instead they are at work. If that is the route Jerry has to go, I am sure it won't hurt him too much, he is talented enough to overcome the setback.
KMC440 wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but i wish for the opposite. Kids at home doing the 5pm to 8pm jobs four days a week and...
Don't take this the wrong way but i wish for the opposite. Kids at home doing the 5pm to 8pm jobs four days a week and 6hrs on Saturday to go racing Sunday. The whole amateur scene is so politicized and money intensive today it's a wonder any kids survive it to become anything but home schooled moto-bots.
Actually, I was being a bit sarcastic in my post. Technically, I do not wish for the opposite. If I did, I would pull my child out of school, make him quit his part-time job, cash in his college fund and send him to a training facility. Would it make him a better racer if I went this route? Absolutely!!! Would it make him a better man? NO.

My point was, it is not the end of the world if Jerry has to move home and work to achieve his goals in a more round-about mannter.
gharmon
9/16/2014 8:39pm
j100 wrote:

I will leave it at that.
Well shit!! Why do you have to leave it at that?
Grizz
9/16/2014 9:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2014 9:48pm
newmann wrote:

Shane
Brad460 wrote:
Yes patially true, but do you see a two page thread within hours on the kid who won B class? No... Marketing-wise Jerry is a great...

Is anyone going to say who won B class? I have no clue without looking it up and I followed Loretta's.

Edit: The only riders results I can remember off the top of my head are the A class champs and of course the people I know personally. But maybe that's just me...
ehr400
9/16/2014 9:49pm
Triston Charbinau
9/16/2014 10:58pm
j100 wrote:

I will leave it at that.
Be nice if people who had something to share but won't share, never shared at all that they have something to share.
S.Loyer
9/17/2014 1:16am
j100 wrote:

I will leave it at that.
Be nice if people who had something to share but won't share, never shared at all that they have something to share.
He's just going off the fact that FC supplied Robin with bikes during all the hype of Jerry with his old CR racing. Which makes sense but the story ends there. Just something more to think about.
Huckster
9/17/2014 3:32am
j100 wrote:

I will leave it at that.
LOL!,,,, Priceless!!!!
Huckster
9/17/2014 3:42am
j100 wrote:

I will leave it at that.
S.Loyer wrote:
He's just going off the fact that FC supplied Robin with bikes during all the hype of Jerry with his old CR racing. Which makes sense...
He's just going off the fact that FC supplied Robin with bikes during all the hype of Jerry with his old CR racing. Which makes sense but the story ends there. Just something more to think about.
Really? They way I read j100's post makes me believe that FC came and got the bikes because Jerry wasn't living up to his end of the bargain......but that's just how I interpreted it. In all my dealings with FC,and there have been many, they have always been stand up guys, so I would think there is more to this story than Jerry's lack of podium results.
Crush
9/17/2014 4:27am
Have no idea but FC has shown if nothing else they stick by their guys....
hvaughn88
9/17/2014 4:40am
rt987 wrote:
Me and my mom, $300 truck, and YZ250, all in my name. Parked next to a kid this weekend who had 2 fully built Hondas, nice...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but honest question: are you more of a weekend warrior racing at a local track, or an aspiring pro on the brink of making it big? I'm only asking because I don't know and it does make a bit of a difference in comparisons. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either answer though and I definitely commend you for working your ass off to be able to ride.
NCProaction
9/17/2014 5:25am
I have personally never met Jerry but my son Ryan has had an opportunity to work with him at South of the Boarder. Ryan speaks very highly of Jerry's riding ability and even higher of his work ethic and character. Its very unfortunate how brutal this sport can be at times. I feel very confident he will bounce back and find a way to continue racing. Motocrossers are extremely resilient. Good luck to Jerry in 2015 and don't let obstacles stand in the way of chasing your dreams.
huck
9/17/2014 5:59am
mxb2 wrote:
Buy him some bikes then lol . how does a dude train at sob and not have $$ for a bike?
Squid-mom wrote:
Yep. I always wonder why people over look their obvious sponsor....the one they see in the mirror each morning.
rt987
9/17/2014 6:39am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but honest question: are you more of a weekend warrior racing at a local track, or an aspiring pro...
Please don't take this the wrong way, but honest question: are you more of a weekend warrior racing at a local track, or an aspiring pro on the brink of making it big? I'm only asking because I don't know and it does make a bit of a difference in comparisons. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either answer though and I definitely commend you for working your ass off to be able to ride.
Certainly compared to Jerry I'd call me a weekend warrior, but in my eyes I take it waaay too serious to be classed as that. I'm not pouring money into it to go out there and lose. I got a much later start than most kids but I believe my drive is just as strong if not stronger!!
Gringoe
9/17/2014 7:16am
j100 wrote:

I will leave it at that.
gharmon wrote:
Well shit!! Why do you have to leave it at that?
Do you think anyone can really share actual stories on vital? I know I can't.

I know jerry, I also know his dad.

Last year he had so many offers to ride for nearly anyone he wanted, now this year nothing.

That doesn't happen purely because you didn't win or podium your first year of A.
Sixeightone
9/17/2014 7:17am
The story of the 85 cr 250 "That Could" was a pretty cool story. The kid did work his butt off to make it to Loretta's and I'm sure his parents put every dollar they had into going, but the fact of the matter is, the kid brought no revenue back to the team. After Loretta's last year the kid was unheard about. Overrated if you ask me! All he posts on social media is him practicing in corn fields. Take someone like Decotis who is a privateer that got lucky and had a factory ride for a little while! He always posts pictures at races, and finishes, and always thanks his sponsors. Robin had it lined up perfect, all he had to do was keep riding and doing well, and with that much expectation you really have no choice but to put down the results people are looking for. Kid had all the hype in the world and basically slowly let everyone down. He had his time to shine, and he let it all go. It was a cool story, but in the end that's all it will ever become.
hvaughn88
9/17/2014 7:21am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but honest question: are you more of a weekend warrior racing at a local track, or an aspiring pro...
rt987 wrote:
Certainly compared to Jerry I'd call me a weekend warrior, but in my eyes I take it waaay too serious to be classed as that. I'm...
Certainly compared to Jerry I'd call me a weekend warrior, but in my eyes I take it waaay too serious to be classed as that. I'm not pouring money into it to go out there and lose. I got a much later start than most kids but I believe my drive is just as strong if not stronger!!
I understand and that's fair enough. It just seems like in some instances for aspiring pros, going on and doing it on your own dime can be an adverse condition. I'm not condoning that situation at all, just seems to be the way it is now, which sucks.
albythizzle
9/17/2014 7:22am
The story of the 85 cr 250 "That Could" was a pretty cool story. The kid did work his butt off to make it to Loretta's...
The story of the 85 cr 250 "That Could" was a pretty cool story. The kid did work his butt off to make it to Loretta's and I'm sure his parents put every dollar they had into going, but the fact of the matter is, the kid brought no revenue back to the team. After Loretta's last year the kid was unheard about. Overrated if you ask me! All he posts on social media is him practicing in corn fields. Take someone like Decotis who is a privateer that got lucky and had a factory ride for a little while! He always posts pictures at races, and finishes, and always thanks his sponsors. Robin had it lined up perfect, all he had to do was keep riding and doing well, and with that much expectation you really have no choice but to put down the results people are looking for. Kid had all the hype in the world and basically slowly let everyone down. He had his time to shine, and he let it all go. It was a cool story, but in the end that's all it will ever become.
What's your best finish at Loretta's?
Squid-mom
9/17/2014 7:27am
I think it is a bit harsh to say he "let everyone down" because his finishes have been respectable enough. However, if I remember correctly Burkeen said his dad was staying with him at SOB all last summer, that does not qualify as "working your butt off". Just food for thought, in the real work if ya want to play hard, you have to work hard! Unless, apparently, you are born with the last name Charboneau.
hvaughn88
9/17/2014 7:41am
I'm not a part of the amateur scene, nor was I ever anything more than just a local weekend warrior, but it sure seems like there are quite a few bitter people here. I understand some people are more privileged than others, but that's life unfortunately. I understand there are a lot of spoiled brats on the race scene, always have been and always will be. But just because someone is fast and their parents happen to be well-off doesn't mean they should be ridiculed for it. I don't the charboneau kid at all, hell he may a prick, I don't know. But honestly, bitching about him comes across as petty.
Sixeightone
9/17/2014 7:43am
What's your best finish at Loretta's?
It's not about finishing at Loretta's.. If Geico handed me bikes to ride, you wouldn't catch me riding them in corn fields or in horse pastures. I'd be at every big amateur national getting my name out even more. It's all about marketing. If the fastest rider in the world wasn't getting seen all over the internet nobody would know about him. Kid had an awesome opportunity, and let it fall through. You could be the slowest rider in the world but if you know how to construct a proper sentence, smile, and post it on the internet you can basically swindle your way into getting free product from anybody! It happens all the time, we all know "that" guy who sucks but gets free stuff cause he either knows people or is an internet whore!!

Post a reply to: Jerry Robin

The Latest