James' answer when asked "what's the hardest obstacle on the track?"

rcm406
7/20/2014 6:37am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 5:26pm
He said "not really on the track, but recovery time between races and not getting sick is his biggest obstacle". Are these guys racing too much? As much as I would love to watch racing every weekend year round, I feel it's too much for these guys. I wish they would race every other weekend and give these guys a little downtime between races. Oh well, that's JMO, I wonder how the racers feel?
|
7/20/2014 7:07am
Maybe by his standard but not everyone else. If you can't stand the heat, get out out of the kitchen.
Seamorbutts
7/20/2014 7:09am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 7:11am
rcm406 wrote:
He said "not really on the track, but recovery time between races and not getting sick is his biggest obstacle". Are these guys racing too much...
He said "not really on the track, but recovery time between races and not getting sick is his biggest obstacle". Are these guys racing too much? As much as I would love to watch racing every weekend year round, I feel it's too much for these guys. I wish they would race every other weekend and give these guys a little downtime between races. Oh well, that's JMO, I wonder how the racers feel?
Screw that, there's only a few that can't hang. Plus, this is the way its been forever. I'm a huge Stewart fan, but I'm completely over him and all his mishaps. It use to bother me about 6 wrecks ago. The tide has turn. and Eli is here to stay. Find you a new favorite racer...Lol, just kidding.
rcm406
7/20/2014 7:13am
Maybe by his standard but not everyone else. If you can't stand the heat, get out out of the kitchen.
And how do you know this, have you asked all the riders?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/20/2014 7:14am
You're just assuming at this point. If you ask around, quite a few of the riders will bring up the fact that they wish that there was more breaks throughout the season.

The Shop

Hut
7/20/2014 8:36am
Yeah I'd like to make the same money as I do now and take every other week off too. Dry
Mickolobe7
7/20/2014 8:51am
Aren't the races closer together than they were before? as in moto 1 to moto 2.

As for James what happen? This was his year to shine and win the championship and if its not one thing its another its getting old. Dont get me wrong Im the biggest James Stewart fan! Come on JS get it together!
Outsider
7/20/2014 8:51am
Hut wrote:
Yeah I'd like to make the same money as I do now and take every other week off too. Dry
X2

I understand that the training and discipline is a 24/7 thing for these guys, but really, they work weekends, maybe thurs-saturday at best, with some "on call" commitments.

We all have to do some "work" in our off hours as well.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
7/20/2014 9:02am
Just part of the challenge of being a pro ..Imo
Grueling yes!
7/20/2014 9:04am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 9:04am
I'll tell you now, more than half of the top riders would like to have more recovery between races.
7/20/2014 9:05am
Eli has the best trainer in the world in his corner. And he will never take short cuts. I love js7, but rt now he needs to think of himself 1st n get his head togeather. I love the way eli rides, he aint scared of anyone n i believe he thinks he has roczens #. Anyone notice eli drinking a protein shake on the podium? im telling u hes no joke lol
bionic218
7/20/2014 9:13am
He's right.

RC raised the fitness bar, and these younger guys like Dungey, Roczen, and Tomac are taking that to an even higher level.

Unfortunately for James, he is exactly right...speed and talent aren't enough anymore.
nytsmaC
7/20/2014 9:20am
STFU noob.
rcm406
7/20/2014 9:39am
bionic218 wrote:
He's right. RC raised the fitness bar, and these younger guys like Dungey, Roczen, and Tomac are taking that to an even higher level. Unfortunately for...
He's right.

RC raised the fitness bar, and these younger guys like Dungey, Roczen, and Tomac are taking that to an even higher level.

Unfortunately for James, he is exactly right...speed and talent aren't enough anymore.
And it seems like guys are retiring earlier and earlier in their careers because their bodies start braking down and can't take the punishment year after year. Look how early RC retired and now RV is so "over it" he's ready to move on. You watch, Eli and Roczen will be the same in a couple years. Look at Roczen now, he's great the first half of the season, but wears down the second half. You think he just forgot how to ride 2nd moto yesteday? I'm not saying less races, just more breaks throughout the year.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/20/2014 9:44am
rcm406 wrote:
He said "not really on the track, but recovery time between races and not getting sick is his biggest obstacle". Are these guys racing too much...

rcm406
7/20/2014 9:48am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 9:50am
Eli has the best trainer in the world in his corner. And he will never take short cuts. I love js7, but rt now he needs...
Eli has the best trainer in the world in his corner. And he will never take short cuts. I love js7, but rt now he needs to think of himself 1st n get his head togeather. I love the way eli rides, he aint scared of anyone n i believe he thinks he has roczens #. Anyone notice eli drinking a protein shake on the podium? im telling u hes no joke lol
Short cuts? Well, what happens when Eli's body starts telling him differently? That's the problem, there's really not another sport out there that puts so much abuse on the body. Along with training and racing, the body can only maintain that level of abuse for so long!
bionic218
7/20/2014 10:02am
@rcm406: I know it was a rhetorical question, but Tomac had KR94 covered yesterday. I was there, and KR had nothing for him. Of course, the flip side of that coin is that KR94 is the only one - at this point - who could lose the championship. He has no reason to push like crazy when podiums from here on out give him the c-ship.

I agree that more breaks in between could be beneficial, but with the current SX schedule - where most of the money is generated - I just don't see it in the cards.

Zracer
7/20/2014 10:39am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 5:20pm
Post fail. Edited by GuyB.
PJ205
7/20/2014 11:07am
Zracer wrote:
So hardcore! You're the man. You should line up at Washougal next weekend and show all these new guys how its done!
davistld01
7/20/2014 11:15am
How long u been a pro racer, jackhat?
TX24
7/20/2014 11:37am
Those guys also run the risk of getting sick from numerous fans, places they eat, airports ect.
jstein639
7/20/2014 11:45am
Hut wrote:
Outsider wrote:
X2 I understand that the training and discipline is a 24/7 thing for these guys, but really, they work weekends, maybe thurs-saturday at best, with some...
X2

I understand that the training and discipline is a 24/7 thing for these guys, but really, they work weekends, maybe thurs-saturday at best, with some "on call" commitments.

Motocross is much more than a 40 hour a week job. Saying that they only really work on weekends is undermining all the work they put in during the week in testing and training to see the polished finished product on the weekend. And if you think that contractual obligations are "on call" then you are certainly mistaken. No sponsors put their money into a program only to have the rider "on call."
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
7/20/2014 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 12:25pm
rcm406 wrote:
He didn't say it's " too tough", he just said it's the toughest part of the Outdoors. Should he have said the uphills? Whoops? Ruts? Of coarse not. There is a toughest part of any sport, doesn't mean it's "too tough".

That being said, the Outdoors have always been a grind for the guys expected to win. That's probably a big part of why guys like MC, KW, JS, RC and possibly RV have either gone to SX only or retired early.

Transworld MX recently did a survey of the riders, and 74% said they prefer SX over the Outdoors.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
7/20/2014 12:23pm
Zracer wrote:
PJ205 wrote:
So hardcore! You're the man. You should line up at Washougal next weekend and show all these new guys how its done!
I don't think 12 year olds can race the Nationals.
FARANG
7/20/2014 12:26pm
I'll tell you now, more than half of the top riders would like to have more recovery between races.
And 99% of the general public would prefer a 4 day week.

The schedule doesn't change because Stewart is getting old. If he can't hang with the young guns then retire.

Or keep racing, take the coin and STFU. His choice.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
7/20/2014 12:30pm
FARANG wrote:
And 99% of the general public would prefer a 4 day week. The schedule doesn't change because Stewart is getting old. If he can't hang with...

The schedule doesn't change because Stewart is getting old. If he can't hang with the young guns then retire.

Again, he didn't say it was "too tough".

Learn to pay attention.
rcm406
7/20/2014 12:48pm
FARANG wrote:
And 99% of the general public would prefer a 4 day week. The schedule doesn't change because Stewart is getting old. If he can't hang with...

People like you just don't get it and are missing the point entirely!Dizzy
Zracer
7/20/2014 12:51pm
Gimme a break, The hardest obstacle for JS is finding the checkered flag. In 35 years of watching mx, I've never seen anyone that just plain quit so many races. He doesn't have to say its "too tough" for him to finish races. It 's pretty obvious.
The Rock
7/20/2014 12:56pm
Outsider wrote:
X2 I understand that the training and discipline is a 24/7 thing for these guys, but really, they work weekends, maybe thurs-saturday at best, with some...
X2

+1

Not saying it isn't a challenge but most of us have to work.....and in most cases doing something that isn't as much fun as SX/MX.
rcm406
7/20/2014 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 1:11pm
Outsider wrote:
X2

The Rock wrote:
+1

Not saying it isn't a challenge but most of us have to work.....and in most cases doing something that isn't as much fun as SX/MX.
And I'm sure your job is as taxing on the mind and body as theirs is!Dry You guys are missing the point, what happens when their body won't allow them to do what they want to do? Yes, it's their choice and they get paid well, but all year training and racing is retiring these guys earlier in their careers than it ever has. There's a reason why the NFL is only 3 months long and UFC fighters fight maybe 2 times a year!
7/20/2014 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 1:31pm
FARANG wrote:

I dont want to judge, but it seems that your on the younger side of the generation.

Comparing our jobs and a job of a professional athelete is really no comparison at all. The job of a professional athelete is 24/7 everyday monday through friday, especially the top tier riders. The commitments and contractual obligations/agreements all must be met and is a job in itself. Yes they all have to do it and yes they all get paid, but the likes of James and the Ryans and K-roc are all on a different level when being pulled in every direction but their own bed when it comes to media or the people wanting a peice of them in some way. We call these types of guys Superstars!

Racing today and racing 30 years ago isn't what it was...media is a huge peice of racing today and a job on its own, for all these racers it can take its toll and can be a huge distraction. Yes the money is good but the racing unfortunately does suffer in some ways. It takes a special talent to deal with all these elements that these racers have to focus on.

They do this not only for themselves but also to show how rad our sport is. I gaurantee non of these riders are riding for money or the fame, they would be racing regardless for the love of the sport! They enjoy riding their bikes! They make the impossible-possible and do things on a bike that we pay to see. We should not get upset over the fact that they would want a bit more of a break in between seasons or week to week. Its selfish of us to want them to work harder but gain nothing in return but being ridiculed by the likes of you. If you can put on a better show, then get out there and show us all what you got!

All the riders in this sport on the professional level should be proud of what they are doing, I could never have raced in todays market. The stress I see these riders having to endure whether its diet, workouts, riding, outside commitments, media, personal life in general is a lot to have to go through!

Post a reply to: James' answer when asked "what's the hardest obstacle on the track?"

The Latest