JT gives a silly season update at Pulp.

Crush
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2014 3:47pm
|
JW381
5/28/2014 9:40pm
The only move I don't like is Dean Wilson. I like Dean enough as a person/rider but he hasn't performed and he hasn't been able to stay healthy in a long time. I think KTM could have signed someone else who would give them better results.

I actually don't really like Chad signing a second rider that isn't top tier. Signing RV would have been huge, signing Davi would have been a pretty big pick up too, but Hahn or Brayton or Weimer doesn't really seem worth it. The thing TwoTwo has going for it is that it's not like any other team. It's Chad Reed's team. That kind of elite/exclusivity is what gives the team it's big upper-hand in the marketing game. But hey, what do I know?
Crush
5/28/2014 9:44pm
JW381 wrote:
The only move I don't like is Dean Wilson. I like Dean enough as a person/rider but he hasn't performed and he hasn't been able to...
The only move I don't like is Dean Wilson. I like Dean enough as a person/rider but he hasn't performed and he hasn't been able to stay healthy in a long time. I think KTM could have signed someone else who would give them better results.

I actually don't really like Chad signing a second rider that isn't top tier. Signing RV would have been huge, signing Davi would have been a pretty big pick up too, but Hahn or Brayton or Weimer doesn't really seem worth it. The thing TwoTwo has going for it is that it's not like any other team. It's Chad Reed's team. That kind of elite/exclusivity is what gives the team it's big upper-hand in the marketing game. But hey, what do I know?
This sport almost exclusively goes after riders with speed above all else.

See Josh Grant.

Deano qualified fastest amongst 450 riders once or twice this year. Decoster thinks that is worth something. He is probably right.
JW381
5/28/2014 9:47pm
JW381 wrote:
The only move I don't like is Dean Wilson. I like Dean enough as a person/rider but he hasn't performed and he hasn't been able to...

Crush wrote:
This sport almost exclusively goes after riders with speed above all else. See Josh Grant. Deano qualified fastest amongst 450 riders once or twice this year...

See Josh Grant.

Deano qualified fastest amongst 450 riders once or twice this year. Decoster thinks that is worth something. He is probably right.
No doubt, not saying Decoster isn't a great team manager. That was just the only move that didn't add up to me. I guess Deano will do the job of #2 well enough. Maybe the old Belgian doesn't want two riders competing for wins again? I imagine that gets stressful. Fun fact: Mitch Payton is actually only 31 but looks 51 after so many seasons of having guys battle for wins under his own tent.

The Shop

Crush
5/28/2014 9:50pm
He's an ex national champ, multiple 250 sx winner, who in one of his first 450 races, out qualified everyone and held of Stewart in a heat race.

Definitely injuries have been getting him but his credentials are excellent and best of who is available wouldn't you agree?
JeepnMike
5/28/2014 9:53pm
I love Roczen.. Not as much as yzjs7 on Stewart, but He is definitely my next man-crush for a racer. I am realizing fast my dreams of him ending up on a green bike are dying... This sucks. I know you RM fans have to be thrilled, but I sure wish he had picked green. I had high hopes of AC92 and Roczen (long-term) running team green with RV thinking of life outside of racing, I am bummed.
JW381
5/28/2014 10:02pm
Crush wrote:
He's an ex national champ, multiple 250 sx winner, who in one of his first 450 races, out qualified everyone and held of Stewart in a...
He's an ex national champ, multiple 250 sx winner, who in one of his first 450 races, out qualified everyone and held of Stewart in a heat race.

Definitely injuries have been getting him but his credentials are excellent and best of who is available wouldn't you agree?
I know all that, but I still just don't feel like he's had much of a showing as of late. I know that's purely anecdotal, but that matters just as much, if not more, than actual results, right? Does it matter if a guy puts in solid results if people get the impression that he's inconsistent or often injured? Think back to the conversation about Roczen midway thru the SX season, even though he was having an identical season to Barcia in 2013. Yet the impression was that his results were slipping.

I dunno man, I'm sure it'll work out fine, just my main concern with the silly season report.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/28/2014 10:04pm
JW381 wrote:

Crush wrote:
This sport almost exclusively goes after riders with speed above all else. See Josh Grant. Deano qualified fastest amongst 450 riders once or twice this year...

See Josh Grant.

JW381 wrote:
No doubt, not saying Decoster isn't a great team manager. That was just the only move that didn't add up to me. I guess Deano will...
No doubt, not saying Decoster isn't a great team manager. That was just the only move that didn't add up to me. I guess Deano will do the job of #2 well enough. Maybe the old Belgian doesn't want two riders competing for wins again? I imagine that gets stressful. Fun fact: Mitch Payton is actually only 31 but looks 51 after so many seasons of having guys battle for wins under his own tent.
31? Riiiight.
5/28/2014 10:07pm
What if pourcel finds his legs. If he does, he deserves a good ride.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
5/28/2014 10:22pm
Crush wrote:
He's an ex national champ, multiple 250 sx winner, who in one of his first 450 races, out qualified everyone and held of Stewart in a...

JW381 wrote:
I know all that, but I still just don't feel like he's had much of a showing as of late. I know that's purely anecdotal, but...
I know all that, but I still just don't feel like he's had much of a showing as of late. I know that's purely anecdotal, but that matters just as much, if not more, than actual results, right? Does it matter if a guy puts in solid results if people get the impression that he's inconsistent or often injured? Think back to the conversation about Roczen midway thru the SX season, even though he was having an identical season to Barcia in 2013. Yet the impression was that his results were slipping.

I dunno man, I'm sure it'll work out fine, just my main concern with the silly season report.
My personal assumption of roczen's sx season is it was much better than barcia's 13 season. He fell off his early season form a little but that's expected when you're a rookie who wins a1.

As far as Deano goes a lot of his bad luck this year was out of his control due to bike issues. If he can come to terms with his arm pump issues I can see him being a contender for race wins. At the very least he has barcia like speed which makes you hot property as we can see
dirtnapper
5/28/2014 10:32pm
Not sure how JT thinks Grant to TwoTwo would be "smart money". Huh

I just don't see him fitting in there. At all. He's a 1 time SX winner ( 5 years ago.....), and a huge gamble Outdoors. He is a solid So-Cal bro. Chad's team is not that.

Pumped on Seely to Honda though! That's rad!
Skippie
5/28/2014 10:34pm
Crush wrote:

JW381 wrote:
I know all that, but I still just don't feel like he's had much of a showing as of late. I know that's purely anecdotal, but...

I think a lot of that could be a confidence issue with him. He's been out for the majority of the time since he won his championship in 2011. He's watched a lot of his former competitors do big things while he is sidelined, combine that with these odd few supposed bike malfunctions, maybe a change of scenery and Decosters wisdom could be the shot in the arm he needs.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
5/28/2014 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2014 6:07am
JW381 wrote:
No doubt, not saying Decoster isn't a great team manager. That was just the only move that didn't add up to me. I guess Deano will...
Who told you Mitch Payton is 31 ? I dont know what is worse them telling you that or you believing it. LaughingLaughing He was born in 1960 he founded pro circuit in 1978 when he was 18 . Here is a fun fact JW381 is gullible.

mojoman42
5/28/2014 10:55pm
JW381 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Who told you Mitch Payton is 31 ? I dont know what is worse them telling you that or you believing it. :laugh: :laugh: He was...
Who told you Mitch Payton is 31 ? I dont know what is worse them telling you that or you believing it. LaughingLaughing He was born in 1960 he founded pro circuit in 1978 when he was 18 . Here is a fun fact JW381 is gullible.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
5/28/2014 11:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2014 11:14pm
JW381 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Who told you Mitch Payton is 31 ? I dont know what is worse them telling you that or you believing it. :laugh: :laugh: He was...

mojoman42 wrote:
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
I hope so ! ........................Hey wait a minute, that would mean I am the one who is gullible PinchPinchBlush
I like his math better because that would make me 28
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/29/2014 1:25am
dirtnapper wrote:
Not sure how JT thinks Grant to TwoTwo would be "smart money". :huh: I just don't see him fitting in there. At all. He's a 1...
Not sure how JT thinks Grant to TwoTwo would be "smart money". Huh

I just don't see him fitting in there. At all. He's a 1 time SX winner ( 5 years ago.....), and a huge gamble Outdoors. He is a solid So-Cal bro. Chad's team is not that.

Pumped on Seely to Honda though! That's rad!
He's not the only one who's heard that one.
scooter5002
5/29/2014 1:30am
Burnin the midnight oil, GuyB. Sucker for punishment, aren't ya?
smee113
5/29/2014 1:36am
I think Roczen is crazy going to RCH. I love what Carey Hart has done with the team, but I don't think they're championship material. I think Roczen's chances at winning a title next year just went way down.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/29/2014 1:42am
Yep. Smile

Drove from Morgan Hill to Cameron Park, CA, today. Stopped at Kali Protectives in Morgan Hill this morning, and I'm in Works Connection's parking lot at the moment.

I also got in a cool mountain bike ride earlier.

We did a software update on the site yesterday, just before I left the offices for the summer tour. So I'm doing a little more testing, and trying to find more bugs to send over to Aaron for squishing.

I'll visit with the WC guys in the morning, then head to the track for press day later on. Somewhere in the middle there, I need to run to a camera/electronics store and try and find a new memory card for my GoPro. Last week I fired up the GoPro for the first time in a bit, and it said NOSD. Somewhere along the line that Sandisk card went bad. I talked with one of the GoPro editors, and he said sometimes Sandisk cards are glitchy with their cameras. He (and some of their other shooters) prefer Lexar.
Dx3moto
5/29/2014 2:34am
KTM wanted Seely and Honda doubled the offer. Wilson was the next best guy for the price.
Sully22
5/29/2014 3:06am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2014 3:07am
I absolutely love the silly season. What I didn't see/hear/read...who's going to be at husky with JA17? That's a factory ride. My guess is a lot of the top guys would be, or they are, skeptical of going to an entirely new bike and the husky brand. I honestly can't wait to see who ends up there and how that team does....

Also, where's the 250 silly season info? That's going to be very interesting itself....
Crush
5/29/2014 3:59am
GuyB wrote:
Yep. :) Drove from Morgan Hill to Cameron Park, CA, today. Stopped at Kali Protectives in Morgan Hill this morning, and I'm in Works Connection's parking...
Yep. Smile

Drove from Morgan Hill to Cameron Park, CA, today. Stopped at Kali Protectives in Morgan Hill this morning, and I'm in Works Connection's parking lot at the moment.

I also got in a cool mountain bike ride earlier.

We did a software update on the site yesterday, just before I left the offices for the summer tour. So I'm doing a little more testing, and trying to find more bugs to send over to Aaron for squishing.

I'll visit with the WC guys in the morning, then head to the track for press day later on. Somewhere in the middle there, I need to run to a camera/electronics store and try and find a new memory card for my GoPro. Last week I fired up the GoPro for the first time in a bit, and it said NOSD. Somewhere along the line that Sandisk card went bad. I talked with one of the GoPro editors, and he said sometimes Sandisk cards are glitchy with their cameras. He (and some of their other shooters) prefer Lexar.
Is that the software update that is rendering a bunch of HTML as plain text in people's sigs?
5/29/2014 4:17am
If Reed signs Fucking grant over brayton.....
VicDaMoan03
5/29/2014 4:18am
The only move I don't like is Seely. He's a good rider and great kid but I think he's abiot a top 10 guy on the 450s. He has a low ceiling IMO and not deserving of one of the best rides.
Hanaa80
5/29/2014 4:33am
smee113 wrote:
I think Roczen is crazy going to RCH. I love what Carey Hart has done with the team, but I don't think they're championship material. I...
I think Roczen is crazy going to RCH. I love what Carey Hart has done with the team, but I don't think they're championship material. I think Roczen's chances at winning a title next year just went way down.

X2! I hate that move.
Crush
5/29/2014 4:34am
68 wrote:
If Reed signs Fucking grant over brayton.....
Not to be a downer but why be worried either way?
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
5/29/2014 4:42am
Wonder if anyone going to take a chance on josh hansen?
IWreckALot
5/29/2014 5:04am
The thing that strikes me about Reed signing Grant is they both have a little experience under their belts. It seems like Reed is giving Grant an opportunity to be the next Millsaps or Brayton and have a good, out of the blue season.

Grant seems to have a similar background to Reed. Both have had obstacles to overcome and seem to have their head on straight now. Riding for a guy like Reed over a guy like Decoster is that Reed is physically riding the same track you are at the same speed you are. I've been pretty eager for Reed to sign someone for a long time just to see how the relationship works out.

As for Wilson, he just seems to be on the receiving end of a lot of bad luck. The bike issues aren't his fault but his incident with Tomac a few seasons ago were definitely his fault. He misjudged that competition. I like his personality, but I just don't see him as a title contender. Which I think Decoster might be ok with as long as he has Mr. Dungey.
IWreckALot
5/29/2014 5:07am
smee113 wrote:
I think Roczen is crazy going to RCH. I love what Carey Hart has done with the team, but I don't think they're championship material. I...

Hanaa80 wrote:
X2! I hate that move.
Roczen makes sense going to RCH. It seems like there is a bit of an unspoken friction between RC and CH about what kind of rider they should sign and KRoc seems to fit both of those guys.

I think RCH has the bike to win and KRoc has Aldon. So they have the combination with KRoc to win. And their bike is definitely fast. There were some times in SX that Hill was looking astounding on their bike.

Post a reply to: JT gives a silly season update at Pulp.

The Latest