Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:38pm
|
burnside
11/2/2011 2:44pm
Just listening now. Matthes is on it!

Shame he can't snag Dunge more often.
MXTR
11/2/2011 5:13pm
Yeah, that was a great interview. Cool stuff about the bike, Reed, JGR, internet shit-talk, Des Nations snub,.........
Lots of good stuff. I was amazed how long it was, damn near 1.5 hours!

Good stuff Matthes, and good luck next year James!

The Shop

skidsteer16
11/2/2011 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2011 8:42am
Download the app Shazam (if you have a smartphone), and use it to figure it out. You can hold it up to your speakers, it listens to the song for like 5 seconds and then it matches it to an online database to figure out what it is. It's pretty damn accurate too.

BTW, thanks a bunch, Steve!
Every time he does these he puts to rest so much crap that people talk about him. It's funny to hear him laugh about all the loonballs out there (here) that ride his ass constantly for no good reason.
Hank_Thrill
11/2/2011 10:23pm
Super awesome.

Stoked James did an interview.

Hurry up A1!
Gym Briggs
11/2/2011 10:53pm
Hopefully that shuts up the haters. He is on the right track and 2012 has the potential to be the best season ever. If we only had RC in tip top shape just to add something to it. We really don't need it though. I just hope all the title contenders(RV,RD,JS7,CR and TC) stay healthy and put on great shows for us.

Thanks Matthes for another great piece of work on your part. I would say hands down the best journalist in the sport. No offense to any others. I wish some of these guys who refuse to do interviews would just sack up and do them. I would love to hear him talk to RC, Hanny and J~Law!
kongols
11/3/2011 12:20am
This must be some kind of record- only 7 replies in 9 hours for a Stewart thread.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
11/3/2011 1:16am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2011 1:16am
Just finished listening to it,that was a good podcast.
My favorite part was when they touched on the subject of the MEC and what people were saying off the boards, "He should guy buy a pick up". Grinning
Cant wait for A1.
DrSweden
11/3/2011 4:12am
WTF. "J-Bone says he has a clause that he doesn't have to do MX". I'm probably the pessimist here, but despite JGR usually doing outdoors I had this feeling he's not doing it anyway, and now I hear he has this clause? Isn't that something that would support my pessimism? How many riders force in a clause like that?

His answer on this topic wasn't really informative either. Basically, only info provided was the previous attempt where he felt the suspensions felt bad. I don't even know where to start to bitch and moan about this, so I just let it be and keep hoping for him to get over whatever "obstacles" he will encounter.

The Larry didn't get covered of course, while all the insiders know the details it seems (despite James said it was between him and Larry LOL).

The bike issue thing is still confusing, JGR really the answer to the issues he had previously? No one could figure out his YZF, and now all of a sudden they take some Nascar gadgets on bolt on? Sure, J-Bone sounds like an asset, but Sergio is the shit they say.

Nascar and $ smells like the decider, and the clause to ditch MX?
11/3/2011 5:47am
I loved the podcast. James does a great job when he communicates: I just wish he did it a bit more. He mentioned that there was nothing good to talk about last year but we want to hear from the riders when it's good or bad. Not just when it's good. If he'd own the bad a little more, I think he could make a Reed-like transition for most of the fans out there. Let the haters hate and just speak your mind and turn the computer off.
Shawn142
11/3/2011 6:13am
J-Bone said from the very beginning Stewart has an out in the contract so he doesn't have to race outdoors. Their main concern is he wins the SX title. But if he's happy with the bike and his racing, he'll go outdoors. I wouldn't read too much into the whole deal, it was a gimmick to get Stewart to sign. It was coming down to the wire and JGR had no real backup plan if Stewart slipped away. They had allowed Brayton and Muscle Milk to leave because they wanted James more.

I hope James makes that program look good. We need more teams like JGR, and if he's successful it's good for all.
swizcore
11/3/2011 6:21am
FIrst song- "I Will Refuse" by Pailhead (Ian Mackye and Al Jourgensen)

Second song- "Smith and 9th" by Reggie and the Full Effect (The Get Up Kids)

Outro- "Sade" by Alkaline Trio
DrSweden
11/3/2011 6:39am
Shawn142 wrote:
J-Bone said from the very beginning Stewart has an out in the contract so he doesn't have to race outdoors. Their main concern is he wins...
J-Bone said from the very beginning Stewart has an out in the contract so he doesn't have to race outdoors. Their main concern is he wins the SX title. But if he's happy with the bike and his racing, he'll go outdoors. I wouldn't read too much into the whole deal, it was a gimmick to get Stewart to sign. It was coming down to the wire and JGR had no real backup plan if Stewart slipped away. They had allowed Brayton and Muscle Milk to leave because they wanted James more.

I hope James makes that program look good. We need more teams like JGR, and if he's successful it's good for all.
I fear I read tons into it unfortunately, maybe others do as well? This "unwillingness" to do outdoors (compared to present riders, he really seems less interested doing it, period), and despite many years of confusion, he's still unable being open with it. I suggest the question was clear from Matthes regarding the coming outdoors season, but he couldn't fill in the dots, and now we still don't know shit if he will line up or not. At the same time we are probably pretty sure Dungey and RV will be there... I suggest in all humbleness that's why people have issues with him, and I have suggest repeatably that has been the main reason for many years, despite it comes out as something different sometimes.

Matthes a vivid vital member being confused why people are negative towards James made me a bit surprised? Really?
Hanaa80
11/3/2011 6:52am
DrSweden wrote:
WTF. "[b]J-Bone says he has a clause that he doesn't have to do MX[/b]". I'm probably the pessimist here, but despite JGR usually doing outdoors I...
WTF. "J-Bone says he has a clause that he doesn't have to do MX". I'm probably the pessimist here, but despite JGR usually doing outdoors I had this feeling he's not doing it anyway, and now I hear he has this clause? Isn't that something that would support my pessimism? How many riders force in a clause like that?

His answer on this topic wasn't really informative either. Basically, only info provided was the previous attempt where he felt the suspensions felt bad. I don't even know where to start to bitch and moan about this, so I just let it be and keep hoping for him to get over whatever "obstacles" he will encounter.

The Larry didn't get covered of course, while all the insiders know the details it seems (despite James said it was between him and Larry LOL).

The bike issue thing is still confusing, JGR really the answer to the issues he had previously? No one could figure out his YZF, and now all of a sudden they take some Nascar gadgets on bolt on? Sure, J-Bone sounds like an asset, but Sergio is the shit they say.

And I thought we Finns were pessimists..
11/3/2011 8:41am
kongols wrote:
This must be some kind of record- only 7 replies in 9 hours for a Stewart thread.
That's because it's positive.

Great job Matthes.
kongols
11/3/2011 8:47am
I liked that "apologize" part.Cool
DrSweden
11/3/2011 9:45am
Hanaa80 wrote:
And I thought we Finns were pessimists..
Ha! It's dark and depressing in Sweden right now, I guess i got dragged into the surrounding atmosphere... Sad
jamma10
11/3/2011 9:55am
I loved the podcast. James does a great job when he communicates: I just wish he did it a bit more. He mentioned that there was...
I loved the podcast. James does a great job when he communicates: I just wish he did it a bit more. He mentioned that there was nothing good to talk about last year but we want to hear from the riders when it's good or bad. Not just when it's good. If he'd own the bad a little more, I think he could make a Reed-like transition for most of the fans out there. Let the haters hate and just speak your mind and turn the computer off.
x2

I wasn't expecting much when I clicked play, but I actually really enjoyed listening to him chat relatively freely for once.
MXLuver
11/3/2011 10:05am
DrSweden wrote:
WTF. "[b]J-Bone says he has a clause that he doesn't have to do MX[/b]". I'm probably the pessimist here, but despite JGR usually doing outdoors I...

Yes, JGR has the best YZF program out there. No, it is not "NASCAR gadgets." They have a one-of-a-kind suspension dyno that gives real-time data on how the suspension is working. It makes a huge difference. I think they have a video of it on YouTube.

The plan is that James will ride outdoors in 2012 and 2013. If he wins either championship (SX or MX) in those two years, he can opt out of the outdoors in the 2014. MC did the same thing during his career and K-Dub is doing it now. Riding SX only is what lengthened their careers.

The NASCAR end of things did help the deal get done. James does want to get in to car racing when he is finished on the motorcycle.
11/3/2011 10:23am
DrSweden wrote:

Dr, have you seen the JGR setup? Its amazing! They have things even the factory teams dont have, and if they need or want something, they can make it! There was a vid floating around last year or two years ago showing the MX teams setup, and what they have available thru the nascar shop. They, quite literally, can make anything. Not buy it and bolt it on, make it.

They have a suspension dyno. They can take telemetry of a lap on their SX track, download it in, and mimic the shock or fork movement and look at the spikes. Then tweak something, and run it again and see what changed! They made their own shock! Need a different case cover? Run over and make it! Want offset races? Just go make them, fast.

Now, that being said, think about this. The YZF, in the hands of a top level pro guy, alot of things come to the surface that none of us will very likely never see. Who has done more R&D on that bike than anyone? JGR. Not talking about testing, R&D. They have done more than YMC USA. Engine, tranny, chassis, suspension, the works. If anyone can develope and move that bike, any bike, its JGR. The 09 honda started out as a roach, by 2011 its the best on the track. Same chassis, just figuring out things. Well, Yam is going thru the same thing.

To quote Josh Hill from 09.... "the bike is super responsive to the smallest change. Other bikes you can move something 2mm and kind of feel a difference, on that bike, you can moving something half a mm and its a BIG difference"

Plus remember, when your winning, you love your bike. When you are struggling, its always the bike. Regardless of the riders mindset, or his personal life, or his efforts- all of that can goto chaos and the cause of a bad year will always be the bike. Look at Dungey. Hes on the exact same bike this year as last year. This year, the bike is subpar. Last year, its the best thing since sliced bread. Last year, the bike would carve a pumkin, this year it wont turn. Last year he was on a roll and winning, this year it was a struggle, and just plain bad luck, and its the bike. Same for JS. Last year, everything went to chaos. His personal life was different, his team had internal issues, he struggled, of course it was the bikes fault.
11/3/2011 10:43am
Overall, it was an excellent interview. I think James is one of, if not the, most well spoken and marketable racers out there. It is too bad he feels afraid to give his views in interviews more often.

The part I have an issue with is Matthes taking thinly veiled jabs at Dungey. Maybe because I am an RD fan I see things that aren't there but it seems to me he minimizes RD's accomplishments nearly any time his name is brought up.

In fact, when asking Stewart how he thought he would match up against the sport's current greats, Steve mentioned all but Dungey as being in that group. To Stewart's credit, the first person he mentioned as a real threat was Dungey. Stew then said RV was beating Dungey in SX so he knew the pace was high.

Steve also, for the umpteenth time, minimized RD's championships in 2010. He basically inferred that they meant less because the "best guys" weren't there. Really? I thought they all had the chance to be there. Dungey must feel really bad about winning it all that year, being it was his fault the other riders got hurt, pussed out, or just couldn't ride his pace.

As mentioned above, he loves to bash Vital as "a bunch of idiots" but he continues to post here, including spamming his work to further his interests.

Generally I like Matthes interviews but to me he can't land all the riders he should because of things like I mentioned above. I doubt he'll get a serious RD, RC, Hansen etc. interview because of the way he likes to minimize what they've done.

"Also too. Anyways" = annoying

Rant over.
DrSweden
11/3/2011 10:45am
MXLuver wrote:
Yes, JGR has the best YZF program out there. No, it is not "NASCAR gadgets." They have a one-of-a-kind suspension dyno that gives real-time data on...
Yes, JGR has the best YZF program out there. No, it is not "NASCAR gadgets." They have a one-of-a-kind suspension dyno that gives real-time data on how the suspension is working. It makes a huge difference. I think they have a video of it on YouTube.

The plan is that James will ride outdoors in 2012 and 2013. If he wins either championship (SX or MX) in those two years, he can opt out of the outdoors in the 2014. MC did the same thing during his career and K-Dub is doing it now. Riding SX only is what lengthened their careers.

The NASCAR end of things did help the deal get done. James does want to get in to car racing when he is finished on the motorcycle.
That's a huge different than I assumed! You have a source? If what you are saying is correct, there's no doubt he will ride MX 2012! Hurray! I though Matthes would have know about this deal though? Or that James during the show would have said something when being asked?
DrSweden
11/3/2011 10:48am
Dr, have you seen the JGR setup? Its amazing! They have things even the factory teams dont have, and if they need or want something, they...
Dr, have you seen the JGR setup? Its amazing! They have things even the factory teams dont have, and if they need or want something, they can make it! There was a vid floating around last year or two years ago showing the MX teams setup, and what they have available thru the nascar shop. They, quite literally, can make anything. Not buy it and bolt it on, make it.

They have a suspension dyno. They can take telemetry of a lap on their SX track, download it in, and mimic the shock or fork movement and look at the spikes. Then tweak something, and run it again and see what changed! They made their own shock! Need a different case cover? Run over and make it! Want offset races? Just go make them, fast.

Now, that being said, think about this. The YZF, in the hands of a top level pro guy, alot of things come to the surface that none of us will very likely never see. Who has done more R&D on that bike than anyone? JGR. Not talking about testing, R&D. They have done more than YMC USA. Engine, tranny, chassis, suspension, the works. If anyone can develope and move that bike, any bike, its JGR. The 09 honda started out as a roach, by 2011 its the best on the track. Same chassis, just figuring out things. Well, Yam is going thru the same thing.

To quote Josh Hill from 09.... "the bike is super responsive to the smallest change. Other bikes you can move something 2mm and kind of feel a difference, on that bike, you can moving something half a mm and its a BIG difference"

Plus remember, when your winning, you love your bike. When you are struggling, its always the bike. Regardless of the riders mindset, or his personal life, or his efforts- all of that can goto chaos and the cause of a bad year will always be the bike. Look at Dungey. Hes on the exact same bike this year as last year. This year, the bike is subpar. Last year, its the best thing since sliced bread. Last year, the bike would carve a pumkin, this year it wont turn. Last year he was on a roll and winning, this year it was a struggle, and just plain bad luck, and its the bike. Same for JS. Last year, everything went to chaos. His personal life was different, his team had internal issues, he struggled, of course it was the bikes fault.
Holy crap! Tnx for all the info. I feel that blaming the bike will not hold any water from now on, or at leas will be harder! Smile
FIREfish148
11/3/2011 10:50am
That was a good podcast Steve. Bubba and his family keep it 100%, gotta love that about those people. In a industry full of corny fakes.
kongols
11/3/2011 10:54am
DrSweden wrote:
That's a huge different than I assumed! You have a source? If what you are saying is correct, there's no doubt he will ride MX 2012...
That's a huge different than I assumed! You have a source? If what you are saying is correct, there's no doubt he will ride MX 2012! Hurray! I though Matthes would have know about this deal though? Or that James during the show would have said something when being asked?
He looks like a knowledgeable poster who has publications in MX sites. He`s from SE and has a radio show so the info he provided could be legit.
DrSweden
11/3/2011 11:04am
kongols wrote:
He looks like a knowledgeable poster who has publications in MX sites. He`s from SE and has a radio show so the info he provided could...
He looks like a knowledgeable poster who has publications in MX sites. He`s from SE and has a radio show so the info he provided could be legit.
For sure, but since he was so specific about the riding mx thing as James being "forced", and Matthes missed it, I just wonder about the details? I hope it's true.
MXLuver
11/3/2011 11:22am
DrSweden,

My source is the JGR team. I speak with the guy that negotiates all the contracts for the team 4-5 times a week. I was at the press conference and talked to James at length about the upcoming season. There is an 'out' clause of sorts, but the expectation of the team is to ride both series. The 'out' clause is also tied to the NASCAR thing, making it very much in his best interests to ride outdoors. The option kicks in should he win a championship - which is the overall goal.

Check out the show some time! You will enjoy it!

http://MXMayhemRadio.com
MXLuver
11/3/2011 12:00pm
Kongols - I appreciate the support!
kongols
11/3/2011 12:03pm
MXLuver wrote:
Kongols - I appreciate the support!
No problem, we need more people like you and info like that around here.

Post a reply to: JS7 Podcast

The Latest