NV825
Fantasy
2730th
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 6:15am
Saw this about JS7's cars. More pictures and a short video in this link

|
Dirtydane
7/16/2014 12:39pm
Did he sell the Bentley continental red bull gave him? And if im correct he have a Mini cooper S in California.

He deserves it all!
MXD
7/16/2014 12:39pm
You know what all that stuff USUALLY equals at the end of a career? DEAD BROKE! I sure hope he put some money away.
Dirtydane
7/16/2014 12:45pm
MXD wrote:
You know what all that stuff USUALLY equals at the end of a career? DEAD BROKE! I sure hope he put some money away.
You do know that all his properties, cars, plane(if he still have it) jewelry and what not is worth money, right? Smile

The Shop

Big Lenny
7/16/2014 12:46pm
MXD wrote:
Dead broke maybe for someone like you, that's all money right there...
RedRum666
7/16/2014 12:48pm
I think most of the "classic" cars are his dads cars.... Big James is a car enthusiast and pretty sure has a side gig buying and selling cars at auto shows......pictures are not always what they seem..
kongols
7/16/2014 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 12:50pm
What happened to his Ferrari California?
Dealership gave it to him when he needed it.. I don`t think it was his.
MXD
7/16/2014 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 12:53pm
MXD wrote:
Dirtydane wrote:
You do know that all his properties, cars, plane(if he still have it) jewelry and what not is worth money, right? Smile
Do you understand the concept of depreciating assets?

No need for the JS fans to get all butt hurt at me. I said I hope he DID stash some away. I'm not wishing him any misfortune. In fact, I think he should enjoy his earnings. My point was that there is an overwhelming number of star athletes who go broke because of lavish spending once their career is over. Hopefully he is not one of them.
RedRum666
7/16/2014 12:51pm
Also, many of they cars James has posted pics of in recent years at events like A1 or Daytona for example I believe are usually "loaners"....they lend James the car...or he rents it....in return he says " Thanks to so and so for hooking me up" and there you have some free advertising to his gazillion twitter and FB followers.....
7/16/2014 12:53pm
The only ride in that video i really cared about was yellow and had two wheels
Big Lenny
7/16/2014 12:58pm
MXD wrote:
Dirtydane wrote:
MXD wrote:
Do you understand the concept of depreciating assets? No need for the JS fans to get all butt hurt at me. I said I hope he...

No need for the JS fans to get all butt hurt at me. I said I hope he DID stash some away. I'm not wishing him any misfortune. In fact, I think he should enjoy his earnings. My point was that there is an overwhelming number of star athletes who go broke because of lavish spending once their career is over. Hopefully he is not one of them.
Tell that to those cats at Barrett Jackson...I'm sure the family has figured out what it will take for them to survive once it's over...
7/16/2014 1:08pm
MXD wrote:
Dirtydane wrote:
MXD wrote:
Do you understand the concept of depreciating assets? No need for the JS fans to get all butt hurt at me. I said I hope he...

Exactly what I was thinking.....

In today's world, with the bling bling, look at me culture, the concept of depreciating assets just flies right over most people's heads, kinda like it did to ole dirtydane there. Cars, plane, jewelry don't make squat for a retirement plan, especially when your career is in a sport that retires most of its athletes before they hit 30......

FWIW, I would imagine someone close to James, or James himself, has thought to plan for life after motocross financially, and that he should be OK.
MXD
7/16/2014 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 1:11pm
Dirtydane wrote:
MXD wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
Tell that to those cats at Barrett Jackson...I'm sure the family has figured out what it will take for them to survive once it's over...
I hope you are right.

As far as your Barrett Jackson comment, the cars that bring all the money there are #'s matching, all original restorations. One could argue that if you catch the market correctly, they could be an investment. As soon as you customize a classic car (like the ones pictured above), the value is significantly less than what it otherwise would be in all original condition. As the old expression goes, "Custom mods are like appetizers. You order them, you eat them and YOU pay for them".
RedRum666
7/16/2014 1:11pm
I am pretty sure thats what SEVEN is all about.....a gear and clothing line that should be around for sometime...
7/16/2014 1:19pm
Dirtydane wrote:
MXD wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
The company I work for used to do a lot of work for a developer that had a huge shop full of classic corvettes. It was his hobby, and the dude spent a lot on collecting and maintaining all those cars. When it all went south and his business went belly up, the bank and all the debt collectors didn't give two shits about all those cars, but they did scoop up all his properties pretty quickly though.....
IWreckALot
7/16/2014 1:21pm
RedRum666 wrote:
I am pretty sure thats what SEVEN is all about.....a gear and clothing line that should be around for sometime...
Yeah but that kind of business is live and die by the sword. Takes a lot of money to hopefully make some money. He has a rather original product line so I think he'll survive but sometimes more prevalent competition adapts and then you get diminishing returns.

I don't think there is anything offensive or wrong with MXD's line of thinking. I like JS7 a lot. He's drawn a lot of people to the sport and hope he is successful after he retires. I think that's all MXD is saying.
hvaughn88
7/16/2014 1:22pm
I'm sure he's doing just fine. Hell, he's probably way better off with even with those expensive and exotic cars than most "normal" people that are driving around in brand new financed SUV's and trucks with car payments that exceed their house payments or rent.
MT MX
7/16/2014 1:26pm
That Camaro is awesome, but those wheels on it don't do it any justice
newmann
7/16/2014 1:27pm
MXD wrote:
I hope you are right. As far as your Barrett Jackson comment, the cars that bring all the money there are #'s matching, all original restorations...
I hope you are right.

As far as your Barrett Jackson comment, the cars that bring all the money there are #'s matching, all original restorations. One could argue that if you catch the market correctly, they could be an investment. As soon as you customize a classic car (like the ones pictured above), the value is significantly less than what it otherwise would be in all original condition. As the old expression goes, "Custom mods are like appetizers. You order them, you eat them and YOU pay for them".
I still see some stupid customs bring big money at Barrett Jackson. But that's the only place they bring that kind of money with all the rich swinging dicks having their pissing matches on national television. It really is quite comical. Also, many of the cars sold there are benefit auctions and people pay many times more that what a car is worth to show off for the cameras and support a good cause. High rollers there. But I see where that Ron Pratt guy was selling off all of his cars recently. Will be an eye opener to see if many of his cars sell for at least what he paid for them, and he paid millions each for some of them.

Makes me squint when I see a $200,000.00 "resto mod" or amazing correct restoration on a less than desirable car cross the block and bidding stops or it sells for $50-75,000.00 Ouch...lol. Happens all the time.
VicDaMoan03
7/16/2014 1:29pm
Where's all the Ferari's and Lambo's? I guess he sold them?
Big Lenny
7/16/2014 1:32pm
MXD wrote:
I hope you are right. As far as your Barrett Jackson comment, the cars that bring all the money there are #'s matching, all original restorations...
I hope you are right.

Some people don't care for the original look, you've seen it yourself just buying a completely stock bike vs the one sitting next to it with all the goodies that you plan on doing anyway, would you buy a box stock Suzuki when you could get his fresh works bike for the same price?...
MXD
7/16/2014 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 1:39pm
MXD wrote:
I hope you are right.

Big Lenny wrote:
Some people don't care for the original look, you've seen it yourself just buying a completely stock bike vs the one sitting next to it with...
Some people don't care for the original look, you've seen it yourself just buying a completely stock bike vs the one sitting next to it with all the goodies that you plan on doing anyway, would you buy a box stock Suzuki when you could get his fresh works bike for the same price?...
You just made my point. The works bike cost a lot more to build than a stock one but in your example, it's sitting on the showroom floor next to a box stock one for the same price. Why? Because custom mods are like appetizers.

Of course there are some exceptions but generally speaking, it is far more cost effective to be the 2nd owner rather than the guy who built it.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/16/2014 1:42pm
Where's all the Ferari's and Lambo's? I guess he sold them?
He has a house about 45 minutes away from Haines City, and one in California, they might be there.

I think the Muscle Car collection is mostly his dads. I also remember him buying his dad a red Ferrari for his birthday one year.

For the people commenting on his financial status.
I forget who did the interview, but when he was asked why he would take so much less money to leave JGR and go to Suzuki, he said " he has more money than he will ever need."
Kyle978
7/16/2014 1:47pm
MXD wrote:
You just made my point. The works bike cost a lot more to build than a stock one but in your example, it's sitting on the...
You just made my point. The works bike cost a lot more to build than a stock one but in your example, it's sitting on the showroom floor next to a box stock one for the same price. Why? Because custom mods are like appetizers.

Of course there are some exceptions but generally speaking, it is far more cost effective to be the 2nd owner rather than the guy who built it.
I'll agree with you if the bike had a pipe, graphics and some bling and it was sitting next to a stock bike. Won't fetch much more, if any. But I've sold enough of my old race bikes (with full race motors, suspension coatings, wheels etc) to know that there is a market for people who will pay to have a bike set up, ready to go. It may take a bit longer to find the right person, but I've actually made money on bikes before. I think the same holds true with classic cars, some people don't want to have to find someone they trust to do the work, wait months for it to get done etc.

With all that said, I'm sure Big James and Sonya don't plan on working any time soon, so I would imagine they have his future mapped out just fine.
Big Lenny
7/16/2014 1:47pm
MXD wrote:
You just made my point. The works bike cost a lot more to build than a stock one but in your example, it's sitting on the...

So which would you buy?...Go ahead I'll wait...Whistling
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
7/16/2014 1:51pm
James has been a top rider since the heyday of the 2000's when the money was REALLY good and still has huge personal sponsors including Red Bull, GoPro and Oakley. I highly doubt he's going to be begging for money when he hangs up his boots.
MXD
7/16/2014 1:54pm
MXD wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
So which would you buy?...Go ahead I'll wait...Whistling
Of course I would buy the one that is done up but that's my point. The guy who did it up spent a ton of cash doing it then he sold it for no more than a stock one and lost all that money. The same applies to JS (assuming he built these cars). He spent a ton of cash customizing them and he won't get his money back out of them.

Aside from that, we are comparing apples to oranges. There is probably more of a demand for a motorcycle with performance parts that 95% of the people would buy anyway compared to a custom car that was designed after someones personal taste.
HOPSTOOPID
7/16/2014 2:21pm
Didn't he do a video where he was showing off his new Phantom? That was one nice car...
hvaughn88
7/16/2014 2:24pm
nothing like grown men arguing about another grown man's money
huck
7/16/2014 2:25pm
Dirtydane wrote:
MXD wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
So did Mike Tyson's family.......

Post a reply to: JS7 Living the Dream

The Latest