JGR - Possible Starting 2nd Team

MOTO120
Maybe everyone hasn't listened to last nights Pulp show (it was a good one!), it was discussed that JGR has at least entertained the idea of starting a 2nd team....not a 2nd tier team, but rather just a whole other operation a'la their multiple NASCAR teams. Thought this was interesting and kind of cool. Of course, they said it comes down to getting that "big" sponsor on board for this 2nd program.
|
kkawboy14
8/16/2016 7:01am
Man they can leverage so much sponsorship dollars it's unreal. They can tap into their own auto dealership dollars if they want to.
500guy
8/16/2016 7:04am
Podcast I listened to last week said JGR was stupid and lazy.
8/16/2016 7:20am
I dont think there is anymore room to fit sponsor stickers on their bikes

The Shop

HenryA
8/16/2016 8:07am
HJACKS PLUMBING JGR

Stamp it.
8/16/2016 8:14am
I'm still surprised theyre still involved with mx at all with the little the success they have had so far. Now talks of a second team?
Panic_Rev
8/16/2016 8:33am
I'm still surprised theyre still involved with mx at all with the little the success they have had so far. Now talks of a second team?
I would like to know your definition of success.
olds cool
8/16/2016 8:34am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Man they can leverage so much sponsorship dollars it's unreal. They can tap into their own auto dealership dollars if they want to.
Didn't know the Gibbs' had auto dealerships. Tell me more about this. I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, so maybe I missed that somewhere back down the line.
kkawboy14
8/16/2016 9:11am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 9:12am
kkawboy14 wrote:
olds cool wrote:
Didn't know the Gibbs' had auto dealerships. Tell me more about this. I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, so maybe I...
Didn't know the Gibbs' had auto dealerships. Tell me more about this. I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, so maybe I missed that somewhere back down the line.
Oops sorry was thinking Penske dealerships.
Gibbs could leverage his support thru Toyota dealerships and other sponsors obviously for a second team
ga_pike
8/16/2016 9:23am
Speaking of Penske... they should run a team. Get a sponsorship with Penske Van Lines. Bring back the box van!!
8/16/2016 9:24am
I doubt pulling in sponsors will be an issue. JGR's marketing guy, David Evans, is pretty damn good at what he does. David was the man responsible for bringing Kawasaki and Chevy Trucks together in the late 90's for Team Chevy Trucks Kawasaki. He's one of he smarter "behind the scenes guys" in this industry.
The Rock
8/16/2016 9:46am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 11:56am
JGR has all the components except one IMO: A Team Manager with championship winning experience. J Bone is the man without question but I see him as the Gosselar on the team focusing more on the machine than rider component.

If you ask me David Evans should take a break from marketing and have a chat with Larry Brooks.

Besides nothing brings in more sponsors than race wins and championships

EDIT: After posting it occurred to me perhaps Coy Gibbs is the team manager but in my mind he's the team owner. Whatever the JGR structure in the HoT and early YoT days Phil Alderton owned the team, Kehoe was the Team Manager and Dean Baker was the motor guru. Worked pretty well for them: 200 plus podiums, 42 Ish wins and five or six SX championships. Race Team Managers should have professional racing experience. just sayin.......
Jt$
8/16/2016 9:51am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 9:54am
The Rock wrote:
JGR has all the components except one IMO: A Team Manager with championship winning experience. J Bone is the man without question but I see him...
JGR has all the components except one IMO: A Team Manager with championship winning experience. J Bone is the man without question but I see him as the Gosselar on the team focusing more on the machine than rider component.

If you ask me David Evans should take a break from marketing and have a chat with Larry Brooks.

EDIT: After posting it occurred to me perhaps Coy Gibbs is the team manager but in my mind he's the team owner. Whatever the JGR structure in the HoT and early YoT days Phil Alderton owned the team, Kehoe was the Team Manager and Dean Baker was the motor guru. Worked pretty well for them: 200 plus podiums, 42 Ish wins and five or six SX championships. Race Team Managers should have professional racing experience. just sayin.......
J-Bone was around plenty of championships via Emig and Stew. Riders win titles, not team managers. LB was super successful but having MC, CR and JS didn't hurt.
mxtech1
8/16/2016 10:11am
Do you guys think JGR will be on the same level as the returning Factory Yamaha team?

My logical assumption seems to be amateurs will file through the system with Star and then the cream of the crop will transition to Factory. This would leave JGR playing second-fiddle in the 450 class.
agn5009
8/16/2016 10:26am
Kx125rider wrote:
Is that a bad thing? Seems like a very good thing to me.
The Rock
8/16/2016 10:26am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 10:38am
The Rock wrote:
JGR has all the components except one IMO: A Team Manager with championship winning experience. J Bone is the man without question but I see him...

Jt$ wrote:
J-Bone was around plenty of championships via Emig and Stew. Riders win titles, not team managers. LB was super successful but having MC, CR and JS...
J-Bone was around plenty of championships via Emig and Stew. Riders win titles, not team managers. LB was super successful but having MC, CR and JS didn't hurt.
Agree Larry had good riders no doubt about it. Also there is no doubt there is a difference between being a mechanic for a top rider and being a top rider's team manager.

Besides The Man who else has more experience winning races and championships than LB? IMO based on what I've heard there is nobody better in setting up a Yamaha than LB.

How many years does a team wait to start winning races consistently on their way to their first championship?

i associate Joe Gibbs Racing with winning the Daytona 500 and NASCAR championships. I'd like to see them enjoy the same success in our sport given the investment and dedication they've shown in SX/MX for years.

The definition of insanity is repeating the same action while expecting a different result. If you want a different result not repeating what you've been doing is the first step towards achieving a different result.
agn5009
8/16/2016 10:30am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 10:33am
The Rock wrote:

I disagree. JGR has everything except a championship caliber rider. Right now, the only championship caliber riders are Dungey, Roczen and Tomac. No one else has a realistic chance of winning a 450 championship other than those 3 so it wouldn't matter who the manager is. If they want to win a championship then they need to pay a boat load of money and get one of those 3. Barcia, Nicoletti and Peick will never win a championship. They're all phoenominal riders so I don't want it to sound like an insult. It's just the reality.

Edit: just to stick up for jgr, let's not forget they have 3 riders in the top 10 in points (I think?) Without looking, I'm not sure if Nicoletti is but if he isn't he's got to be close. I think thats pretty darn successful.
Xavier
8/16/2016 10:40am
Maybe it has something to do with what RCH will (or will not) do next year ?
TXDirt
8/16/2016 11:07am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 11:08am
I think JGR has been pretty successful by most measurements. Only one rider can win a championship in motocross or supercross each year. So by that measure then a lot of other teams are failures I suppose as well?

They have a well run team and they compete every weekend. There are not many riders who are capable of winning races let alone championships. They took a gamble on Barcia and it has paid off with a few wins, some podiums, trip to the MXDN.

I'm not entirely sure what else folks expect JGR do to or what they can do better.

I believe they kinda got screwed on the Webb deal a bit. Factory Yamaha hasn't been around and JGR sort of took the reins there and then when it looked like Webb would be a fit on JGR then Factory Yamaha starts up the factory team again.

The JGR program is on the same level as the factories in nearly ever category. It's a well run team and well respected and they compete every weekend.
The Rock
8/16/2016 11:13am
JGR has the most technical capabilities of any team in our sport. They also have one of the best if not THE best motor guy Dean Baker in the business not to mention Jeremy Albrecht's credentials.

Top flight race team without a doubt and I look forward to the day when all the pieces of the puzzle comes together for their first championship.

Best of luck to Coy Gibbs and crew!
mauidex
8/16/2016 11:16am
This bodes very well for the business side of the sport as both JGR and their team sponsors must be happy with the ROI even though they are not "successful" per all the industry standards here!! UnsureUnsure
DEMONDAVE
8/16/2016 11:33am
The Rock wrote:
JGR has the most technical capabilities of any team in our sport. They also have one of the best if not THE best motor guy Dean...
JGR has the most technical capabilities of any team in our sport. They also have one of the best if not THE best motor guy Dean Baker in the business not to mention Jeremy Albrecht's credentials.

Top flight race team without a doubt and I look forward to the day when all the pieces of the puzzle comes together for their first championship.

Best of luck to Coy Gibbs and crew!
this /\/\/\/\
8/16/2016 11:48am
Kx125rider wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Is that a bad thing? Seems like a very good thing to me.
It is, Im just saying they wont have room to advertise if they keep gaining sponsors.
StretchASU
8/16/2016 11:50am
Infrastructure and resources are there to design or build anything that a factory team could pull off. But until they get a rider, they will continue to be a second tier team with blingy parts.
Wade221
8/16/2016 12:02pm
ga_pike wrote:
Speaking of Penske... they should run a team. Get a sponsorship with Penske Van Lines. Bring back the box van!!

The Rock
8/16/2016 3:07pm
StretchASU wrote:
Infrastructure and resources are there to design or build anything that a factory team could pull off. But until they get a rider, they will continue...
Infrastructure and resources are there to design or build anything that a factory team could pull off. But until they get a rider, they will continue to be a second tier team with blingy parts.
JGR is hardly a second tier team.
Steely Dan
8/16/2016 3:15pm
The Rock wrote:

Jt$ wrote:
J-Bone was around plenty of championships via Emig and Stew. Riders win titles, not team managers. LB was super successful but having MC, CR and JS...
The Rock wrote:
Agree Larry had good riders no doubt about it. Also there is no doubt [i]there is a difference between being a mechanic for a top rider...
Agree Larry had good riders no doubt about it. Also there is no doubt there is a difference between being a mechanic for a top rider and being a top rider's team manager.

Besides The Man who else has more experience winning races and championships than LB? IMO based on what I've heard there is nobody better in setting up a Yamaha than LB.

How many years does a team wait to start winning races consistently on their way to their first championship?

i associate Joe Gibbs Racing with winning the Daytona 500 and NASCAR championships. I'd like to see them enjoy the same success in our sport given the investment and dedication they've shown in SX/MX for years.

The definition of insanity is repeating the same action while expecting a different result. If you want a different result not repeating what you've been doing is the first step towards achieving a different result.
Hey JT$,
Larry got McGrath to win. DeCoster couldn't.

RMZ#
8/16/2016 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 4:22pm
The Rock wrote:

JGR has never has the most important component. The best rider. You can't win without him.

Until JGR has a lites team where they can groom their own talent they will be in the retread business.

mx836
8/16/2016 3:30pm
Steely Dan wrote:
Hey JT$,
Larry got McGrath to win. DeCoster couldn't.

You can't be serious? Do you even know what a shit show year '97 was for MC? Don't think it had all that much to do with DeCoster or Brooks.
8/16/2016 4:02pm
JGR are being held back by Yamaha their engineering capabilities probably scare Yamaha.
Yamaha wouldn't have the sack to let JGR go wild it would embarrass them with better capabilities and bikes

Post a reply to: JGR - Possible Starting 2nd Team

The Latest