It's that time, Loretta Lynn's is coming, time to get ready

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:35am
OK, somewhat of an annual tradition is the "Getting ready for LL's" thread.

I try to dig out of my brain all of the FAQ's and tips that I can find through the fog of minor brain damage, fat and old age, in order to help first timers heading towards LL's and remind some of the regulars of a few things.

So, here goes....by the way, feel free to add any tips you have or I forget

My big number one is the physical preparation and acclimation of your body for what can sometimes be punishing heat.

Start pounding water NOW, start drinking lots and lots of water. It takes time for your body to absorb and store water in it's muscle and tissue, so you need to start storing water internally NOW. Drink a few quarts a day. Cut back on caffeine, as it dehydrates you. Keep drinking water, LOTS OF WATER, up to and once you get to LL's. Bottom line is, if you get thirsty, it's too late and you're screwed. NEVER ALLOW YOUR BODY TO GET TO THE POINT OF BEING THIRSTY. It will take too long to recover and get your body to absorb the fluids. You cannot go from dehydrated to hydrated in a matter of hours.

Acclimate your body to the heat. Go sit in a sauna or better yet, move a stationary bicycle into a sauna to work out. Drive in your car with the A/C off or even with the heater on. Stop being a pussy and hiding in the A/C all the time. Get used to the heat. Get your body used to the heat.

When training, you're probably only riding 20-25 minutes, and that's wrong. You need to ride more, ride longer and ride harder. Training and practicing doesn't make up for the pace you'll be going at LL's, so you need to train twice as long to make up for the difference in pace.

When at the Ranch:

You will need some form of pit vehicle, the place is huge. Golf cart rentals are available, you need to reserve them. I believe that can be done through the MX Sports website. Pit bikes are allowed, with a helmet. However, all vehicles other than say bicycles require a licensed driver 16 and older, AND THEY DO ENFORCE IT (sometimes). You'll need lights on your vehicle if you're driving it at night. (flashlights work)

Walk the track every day. They may not change the layout daily, the track still changes itself. Keep in mind, this track is not raced year round, so the soil shifts and changes on it's own as it adapts to the punishment the racing puts on it. You should also look at it closely from the sidelines throughout the day to see how it's changing.

Watch your head on the overhead coverings in the start gate and mechanic's area. Teggers has knocked himself silly a few times right before a moto in the gate.

Registration is on sunday. One thing I have never understood is why people wait in line for registration. You're number is locked in, your spot is guaranteed and MX Sports has enough bibs and bags for everyone, why sweat and wait in the hot sun to get the same thing you're going to get after the line dies down? I don't get it. Up to you, but keep in mind, whether you wait in line or after the line dies down, you're going to get the same thing.

AND DON'T BLOCK UP THE ROAD WITH YOUR CARTS, the road is not a parking lot during registration.

If you luck out and get an electrical hook up camping spot, good for you. If you didn't, which will be most of you, it's pretty much first come first served. Arrive early if you want a good spot or a favored spot. Think about whether you're parked on high ground or not, as it usually rains at least one day, and do you want to be parked and camping in the run off areas?

There are hotels near the track, but they charge too much for what they are and there is a serious lack of food. Speaking of which, trust the voice of experience, DO NOT EAT AT LORETTA'S KITCHEN near the hotels and I-40. Log Cabin Restaurant is the best in that area. There are a few restaurants in the town of Waverly itself.

I stay in Dickson, about 30 mins east of the track exit, it's about 40 min drive total. The hotel rooms are less, there's a lot more access to food, like Cracker Barrel, O'Charley's, a country buffet, and McD's and an Applebee's and more as you head in towards town (north from exit). The Mexican place across from the Wal-Mart is really good.

By the way, there is a Wal-Mart near the track in Waverly. Waverly is to the North of the track. As you exit the Ranch, turn left and you'll drive right into it. It's a few miles. It's a storybook small town. So small, the theatre is a single screen theatre.

At the ranch, there is a small convenience store up on Stagecoach Hill (hill to your left as you enter the Ranch) and one across the street from the entrance. You can get ice and stuff like that at these locations.

There are several bath houses with showers throughout the ranch. DO NOT WASH YOUR GEAR IN THE SHOWERS. Expect the water to be a little cold.

Store your fuel inside to avoid tampering (it does happen). Store your fuel out of the sun and keep it as cool as possible at all times. It is not even a bad idea to ice your fuel for a couple hours before your moto and put in the bike at the last minute, and keep your tank covered. Cooler fuel is horsepower. It is also my opinion that it's silly to ride your bike down to the start area. Why are you going to putt down to the starting area, putting heat into the engine and then just letting heat soak set in, costing you horsepower. Get a tow to the start area if possible.

Speaking of heating up the bike and wasting power, when you take your sighting lap, do so at a reasonable pace. DO NOT STOP AND LOOK AROUND. When you do this, no air is circulating across the radiators, so you're letting the engine build up heat. Keep moving. You must keep air flowing across the radiator. When you get back to the gate, either shut down the engine until just about everyone has returned or have your mechanic fan your radiators manually or a nice small strong battery powered fan would be awesome. Heat robs power, and a holeshot is key. You want maximum HP when that gate drops, and a hot or percolating engine cooling system is not going to giving you maximum HP.

There is entertainment each evening, so relax and enjoy.

Cell phones are pretty useless. Only place they seem to work is up near Stagecoach Hill and/or by where the golf cart rental is. AT&T seems to work best of all the providers.

Before your moto, while waiting in the staging area, have a cool wet towel, like hand towel size, around your neck to keep you cool. Matter of fact, have a separate small cooler set aside solely to keep small towels on ice, for both before and after motos. You need to keep cool before, and cool down after. An iced towel on your head after the moto will cool you quickly. Have your mechanic keep a towel in a gallon sized ziploc for after the moto if you think you're a top 10 guy, as they'll hold you after finishing for a few minutes (or more) and you want to cool off asap.

That's all I can remember for the moment, I know I will add to it, as will others.

One real important thing I want to close with, remember, this is for fun. Don't put too much pressure on yourself or your kid. It is a racing vacation. Strike a balance between yourself and your rider of having fun and being there to do a job. There is no reason to keep your rider stressed 24/7, there is no benefit in it. Let your rider enjoy themselves, but then get them into game face and start warming up their bodies a few hours before their race, or whatever works for you.

Oh, and the annual Engine Ice KFC Chickenfest, that you've heard so much about, will be on Friday again this year and will be during the scheduled lunch break in the race program (about noon). Everyone is welcome to join us, have some eats, meet some new friends and a few of the morons from this moronic place, including myself, the King Moron, Flarider
|
flarider
7/7/2010 6:22am
Oh, bring materials and be prepared for mud. There's usually at least one mud day and/or the early motos (like the first 5 motos) each day the track can be muddy and tacky from all the watering
Highsider
7/7/2010 6:56am
flarider wrote:
Oh, bring materials and be prepared for mud. There's usually at least one mud day and/or the early motos (like the first 5 motos) each day...
Oh, bring materials and be prepared for mud. There's usually at least one mud day and/or the early motos (like the first 5 motos) each day the track can be muddy and tacky from all the watering
Bales of straw for your campsite, will be helpful.Laughing
flarider
7/7/2010 7:04am
Highsider wrote:
Unless you're allergic!

Hahahaha....

The Shop

wilcom121
7/7/2010 7:26am
"When training, you're probably only riding 20-25 minutes, and that's wrong. You need to ride more, ride longer and ride harder. Training and practicing doesn't make up for the pace you'll be going at LL's, so you need to train twice as long to make up for the difference in pace."

Agreed, ride longer motos to train for the race.
In the last week or two cut the motos to 25 min. (I don't think I have had a moto hit 25 min there) You want to make sure you don't pace your self for a 35 minute moto at the ranch.

Watch your head on the overhead coverings in the start gate and mechanic's area. Teggers has knocked himself silly a few times right before a moto in the gate.

I've done that also and im only 5'7.

Stay out of the water before you ride, riding with soggy hands will give you blisters.

Also, be smart when going out for your parade lap. You want your rut on the other side of the gate to be as straight as possible. This doesnt mean hooking a plow onto the back of your bike, just a little throttle control and rear tire digging can go a long way in smoothing out a hole or turn. Then practice your start 10 feet out of the gate.

Lastly have fun and don't be intimidated. You earned your spot there just like everyone else.
jndmx
7/7/2010 7:29am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2010 7:31am
I had the pleasure of being one of the morons hanging around the EI tent last year.....it was a blast.

Of course then they start throwing stuff and it gets really fun.
typ2vw159
7/7/2010 7:33am
Highsider wrote:
flarider wrote:
Unless you're allergic!

Hahahaha....

So you sayen it is still a little wet .
rocrac
7/7/2010 7:37am
"What happens in the Beer tent stays in the beer tent"

Moto moms.....if there is a Pole in the beer tent this year please stay away from it you'll thank me later.
35smom
7/7/2010 8:19am
rocrac wrote:
"What happens in the Beer tent stays in the beer tent" Moto moms.....if there is a Pole in the beer tent this year please stay away...
"What happens in the Beer tent stays in the beer tent"

Moto moms.....if there is a Pole in the beer tent this year please stay away from it you'll thank me later.
Hahaha..omg you are so right! Just amazes me to watch the other moms do that..and their kids are racing! Tho I must say it is very entertaining..lol
flarider
7/7/2010 8:30am
typ2vw159 wrote:
So you sayen it is still a little wet .
From the flood?
I doubt it

But if it is muddy, bales of hay are great ground cover. If you're not allergic, not a bad idea to bring a bale or two to set aside just in case
yanks_178
7/7/2010 12:12pm
I'll be there, not racing but working. I will be at the Bridgewater Academy Booth. It's a big blue truck for homeschooling and it will be air conditoned!! Stop by and say hi! I'll also be at Ponca.
teggers
7/7/2010 1:55pm
They built a new roof/staging area a few years ago. Very Nice. 3 classes can be in the shade. Nice fans.
My neck is still whack because of those 2 hits. 2 separate years. Never been the same.
If you finish top 10, you will have to pull over and wait for podium stuff and frame numbers. It is BRUTALLY HOT. Strip down and get cool as quick as you can...
MXDAD140
7/7/2010 3:20pm
My family and I have been to Loretta's for the past 15 years.This will be the first year we've missed.
oldx
7/7/2010 3:48pm
Are you racing your new bike Dave?
flarider
7/8/2010 4:34am
oldx wrote:
Are you racing your new bike Dave?
My 1975 CB360T?

No, it would be an unfair advantage

G-man
7/8/2010 3:42pm
Good stuff Dave, I can't believe it's been six yrs since the inaugural CHICKENFEST.

Have fun guys!

Highsider
7/10/2010 12:21pm
Priceless photos.
Man, it is fun being an OG!
flarider
7/10/2010 2:42pm
Good times

Remember, the Engine Ice Hospitality area is set up near the pool and everyone is welcome to come by at anytime and have a sit, enjoy a cold beverage and if you arrive about lunch time, something to eat.
And on Friday, during the scheduled lunch break in the race program, there's the KFC Chickenfest, photos of which you see above (minus the hoods)
flarider
7/10/2010 7:51pm
Fan Admission
2010 Fan Admission

Fan Fees:

Fan Fees include camping, gate admission and night activities.

All fees payable by cash or credit card only - no checks please.

Fan Camping:

Sorry, but hook-up sites are not available for Fan Camping.

Pump-out and fresh water services will be available for a $25 fee per service.

There will be a camping fee of $30/day for guests arriving prior to Sunday, August 1st. After that, no single day camping permits will be available.

Gate Hours:

Gates will be open 24 hours per day commencing Wednesday, July 28th through Saturday, August 7th at 3:00 pm.

Extra Car Passes:

Extra car passes are only available to guests who have purchased camping passes.

The following vehicles are NOT eligible for an extra car pass:

Motor Home ● RV ● Camper ● Box Van ● any vehicle pulling a trailer

Day Tripper Parking:

Fees are per vehicle - there is no individual fan admission charge.

Day trippers must park in the designated 'Day Lot'.

NO overnight camping in the Day Lot.

Day vehicles are not permitted in the camping areas.

Pit Vehicle Permits:

$25/week per vehicle.

Pit vehicle privileges are extended to campers, racers and their families only. Permits are not available to Day Trippers.

Mopeds, scooters, pit bikes, golf carts and mules may be used by PERMIT ONLY. No ATVs and 6-wheel Gators.

The Pit Vehicle Permit fee is $25 for the week. Permits will be sold starting Friday at Noon at the MX Sports Track Office. Pit vehicle use is limited between the hours of: 7 am - 11 pm and may be operated no faster than 10 mph.

Operators must be 18 years or older in order to operate a pit vehicle and must sign the permit release. Proof of age and a valid AMA card will be required at time of purchase. Unauthorized pit vehicles will be confiscated and the racer subject to penalty, or even disqualification.

Helmets must be worn for 2-wheeled pit vehicles. Passengers must be seated. Pit Vehicles may only cross the county road at the designated cart crossing across from the swimming pool. No pit vehicles or golf carts are permitted on the county road, in Western Town or on the Ranch trails. Stay out of the woods - they are off limits.

Pit vehicle use is a privilege, not a right.
flarider
7/10/2010 7:53pm
Special Event Schedule
Special Event Schedule

SUNDAY 8/02
9:00 a.m.: Chapel service with Rev. Kevin Cozadd of MXers for Jesus: Moose Racing semi
1:00 p.m.: Youth rider registration: Amsoil Arena
3:00 p.m.: Track walk with 13-time Loretta Lynn's champion Kevin Walker: Starting line
4:00 p.m.: Amateur rider registration: Amsoil Arena
6:00 p.m.: Oakley/U.S. Army golf-cart parade: Below the Team Green pits
Dark Red Bull Drive-In featuring RW Films "Golden Era": Red Bull Zone at Town Square

MONDAY 8/03
7:00 a.m.: Amateur & youth rider registration: Amsoil Arena
9:00 a.m.: Practice (see practice schedule): Motocross track
7:30 p.m.: Air Nautiques opening ceremonies & riders' meeting: Amsoil Arena

TUESDAY 8/04
12:00 p.m.: Free sno-cones for all registered Yamaha Riders: Yamaha Tent
6:30 p.m.: Next Step Seminar presented by DRD & Yamaha, featuring Doug Dubach & Kevin Walker: Yamaha Tent
7:00 p.m.: Kawasaki Family Dinner: Greenville
7:30 p.m.: Red Bull Pit Bike Celebrity Invitational: Starting Line
8:00 p.m.: FMF Karaoke: Amsoil Arena
(Sign up for karaoke at the FMF rig throughout
the day)
Dark Red Bull Drive-In featuring Vurb Moto's feature film "EPIC": Red Bull Zone at Town Square

WEDNESDAY 8/05
Intermission 2010 Kawasaki model introduction, featuring Ryan Villopoto and Tim Ferry: Motocross track
11:00 a.m.: Thor Autograph session featuring MX & SX Champion Ryan Villopoto: Thor Tower
(30 minutes)
1:30 p.m.: Kawasaki autograph session with Ryan Villopoto and Tim Ferry: Team Green pits
5:00 p.m.: Thor Athlete Dinner honoring all Thor rider families: Amsoil Arena
7:00 p.m.: Thor/Parts Unlimited Pit Bike National: Motocross track
7:30 p.m.: Chapel service with Rev. Kevin Cozadd of MXers for Jesus: Moose Racing semi
8:00 p.m.: Kawasaki Night in the Arena with country Music Outlaw Hank Williams III

THURSDAY 8/06
10:30 a.m.: Thor Autograph session featuring Jeremy McGrath & Robbie "Maddo" Maddison: Thor (30 minutes)
6:00 p.m.: Yamaha riders' family dinner: Yamaha pits
7:15 p.m.: Red Bull TNT freestyle motocross show featuring nine-time X Games medalist and past Loretta Lynn's champion Tommy Clowers and X Games Medalist Myles Richmond: Tire Compound by Lake Loretta
8:00 p.m.: Honda Guitar Hero Championship: Amsoil Arena
(Sign up for Guitar Hero at the Honda village)

FRIDAY 8/07
8:00 p.m.: Thor fashion show: Amsoil Arena
9:30 p.m.: Yamaha/Moto Tees talent show: Amsoil Arena
(Sign up at MotoTees)

SATURDAY 8/08
4:00 p.m.: Air Nautiques award ceremonies: Amsoil Arena
Awards for top 10 in each class. Wear your moto medals!

In General:
Tues - Sat RACING! 7:30 am to 6:30 pm
Mon - Fri Camp Loretta's: 10 am-2:00 pm: Bevoland
Mon - Wed Free Yamaha Pit Board and G-Rag for all Yamaha riders; Yamaha Tent
Mon - Fri MX SportsCenter 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Air Nautiques dry dock
Daily Strict midnight curfew
Daily Gates closed midnight to 6 am
lumpy790
7/12/2010 6:30pm
jndmx wrote:
I had the pleasure of being one of the morons hanging around the EI tent last year.....it was a blast. Of course then they start throwing...
I had the pleasure of being one of the morons hanging around the EI tent last year.....it was a blast.

Of course then they start throwing stuff and it gets really fun.
Se yall there.

Any one need to be hosed?
7/13/2010 6:10am
Hey make sure you come by the Concept2 / RacerX Virtual trainer tent and say hi. This will be my 3rd year and love it. I always wanted to qualify to race myself but I think those days are behind me. This is ALMOST as cool. If I don’t see you in the booth I will be sure to swing by the beer tent. Yes trainers do drink beer too. Besides that is where some of the best entertainment is! See you there - Greg
35smom
7/13/2010 8:09am
lumpy790 wrote:
Se yall there.

Me,,Me...Me!!!! Actually for Joey if possible again. Blue Hoses for his YZ450f? The ones you gave us last year made the bike look awesome!
7/13/2010 8:48am
lumpy790 wrote:
Se yall there.

35smom wrote:
Me,,Me...Me!!!! Actually for Joey if possible again. Blue Hoses for his YZ450f? The ones you gave us last year made the bike look awesome!
I wish that was me. I am the rowing machine guy and we shared a booth with the RiderDown.org guys. Still come by and say hi. - Greg
35smom
7/13/2010 8:53am Edited Date/Time 7/13/2010 8:54am
lumpy790 wrote:
Se yall there.

35smom wrote:
I wish that was me. I am the rowing machine guy and we shared a booth with the RiderDown.org guys. Still come by and say hi...
I wish that was me. I am the rowing machine guy and we shared a booth with the RiderDown.org guys. Still come by and say hi. - Greg
We will def come by and see you guys too! Watched one of the women riders last year on the machine..it was amazing!!! (I thik it was Sarah Price)
7/13/2010 9:09am
It was Sara Price! She is hard core and crazy strong. One year she went so hard on it she threw up!
35smom
7/13/2010 10:10am
It was Sara Price! She is hard core and crazy strong. One year she went so hard on it she threw up!
Thats crazy..have alot of respect for her and all the other women riders they are tough.
flarider
7/13/2010 1:58pm
I'm not going to make any comments about Amy wanting to get hosed

Post a reply to: It's that time, Loretta Lynn's is coming, time to get ready

The Latest